Rift on a plane?

rmcclelland
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Rift on a plane?

Post by rmcclelland »

I'm currently on in-flight wifi, thinking it might be cool to use the Rift on a plane. Surely would make the time fly.

I was wondering if any of the Oculus folks or DIYers have tried it? The setup can be powered by a beefy laptop right? I bet the flight attendants would be pretty puzzled.

With head tracking and hand tracking (Leap motion?) you could leave the laptop closed and just use your hands for virtual input. Seems like a virtual keyboard would even be possible.

Thoughts?
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Re: Rift on a plane?

Post by Leahy »

I suppose it could work if you just use an xbox type controller, you don't really have room for other types of controls. Hand gestures would probably make you knock over your neighbor's drink or similar
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I'm not sure head tracking would work correctly in a plane since it's moving at varying speeds and also has varying orientations.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Fredz wrote:I'm not sure head tracking would work correctly in a plane since it's moving at varying speeds and also has varying orientations.
It would be annoying to have the world slowly move around you, but you may not notice when using a gaming controller for gross movements while seated. Planes usually turn rather slowly, so I think it would not be so bothersome and you could still enjoy your game.
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

"I've never seen anything like this before... cause of death: catastrophic jetlag."
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

would be perfect if you play an flight simulator. turn down the volume of your headphones and you have a realistic background sound and of course the feeling of being in a plane. :D
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Heh. The person sitting next to you would probably feel pretty weird about you constantly turning your head towards them without actually looking at them.

Also, don't freak out when someone taps you on the shoulder to move out the way because they need to use the bathroom.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

MSat wrote:Heh. The person sitting next to you would probably feel pretty weird about you constantly turning your head towards them without actually looking at them.
:lol: ... once the AR version with integrated cams comes, you can really drive people nuts with it I bet
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Don't forget it needs electricity. The USB power might or might not be enough, and your battery will go flat quickly rendering a game at 120Hz.

Return to “Oculus VR”