OculusCon 2013. --> "ConVRge"

Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

OculusCon 2013. --> "ConVRge"

Post by Diorama »

In the coming months, thousands of developers will be receiving their 'Oculus Rift' dev kits, and either beginning or continuing work on software designed for the Rift, or conversions to allow compatibility with legacy software.

There will be online portals (MTBS for example) where these developers will share their work and ideas, and anyone who owns a devkit and a good enough PC will be able to try these things out for themselves.

Sooner or later, however, the developers making the software (as well as those who are very interested, but have not made the jump) are going to want to meet physically. In a big convention hall. Right?

I know that I would be willing to go quite far out of my way to see even 150~200 Oculus software dev booths, from exploratory 'FPS' games, to virtual chatroom technology, god games, The Gallery, related products like the the Virtuix Omni.

So what are the chances of the first RiftCon/OculusCon being this year? Do you think that there will be demand/content enough this year, or will it be a March 2014 thing (One year since release etc.)

Let me know what you think :)
Last edited by Diorama on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
IGameArt

Re: OculusCon 2013

Post by IGameArt »

I honestly really like that idea. I think that maybe a 6-9 month period is probably the best time, gives devs time to make really cool stuff and have experimented enough to know what works. I'd very much like to attend one of these conventions :)
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

I think convention specifically dedicated to Rift development is a bit of a far fetched. A more realistic to expectation would be to see greater VR presence at existing conventions like E3.

Next year's E3 should be very interesting with devs having had their kits for over a year by that point.

For indies I can see a conference like IndieCade being taken over by Rift developers. As a non-developer I would love to go to an IndieCade where there is dozens of new Rift experiments to demo.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

Shouldn't the convention be done virtually? What VR companies wants it for us to replace real life experiences with virtual ones. I think this is very sound as the real world is running out of resources and raw materials.

However, if one of the premiere VR companies can't even replace a convention with a virtual one, they are not paving the way.
norgoth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by norgoth »

i don t think virtual convention is a good idea.
for aiming mainstream you have to physically show something for non pro consumers
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

norgoth wrote:i don t think virtual convention is a good idea.
for aiming mainstream you have to physically show something for non pro consumers
You won't be going to an OculusCon if you don't already have it, however. Just like everyone who goes to Minecon already has Minecraft.

If you show it on for example E3 however, it wouldn't be virtual as that is filled with potential customers.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Diorama that is a nice thought, but I think we need to see how many developers there actually are once Oculus opens the developer area and forum. I have doubts that there are "thousands" in a few months ... my guess is that there are maybe one or two hundred developers in the mix. And the rest is just interested in using the Rift.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

Paladia wrote:Shouldn't the convention be done virtually? What VR companies wants it for us to replace real life experiences with virtual ones. I think this is very sound as the real world is running out of resources and raw materials.

However, if one of the premiere VR companies can't even replace a convention with a virtual one, they are not paving the way.
You can't really show new hardware, like input devices virtually.
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

There was a thread where some asked if there will be an event similar to Quakecon or minecon, but Palmer pointed out that no such event is planned since they are focusing on development right now.
(I can't find the thread right now, thus it might be not the same wording.)

I would love such an even as well, but I could never afford the fly to US (at least not in the next 3 years :S ).
That said a live Stream with an 360° camera would be essential :lol:
(I don't mean an radio Controlled camera, i mean a camera setup that captures 360° so that a software can be written for the use with the Rift.. this would allow multi user per cam)
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Paladia wrote:
norgoth wrote:i don t think virtual convention is a good idea.
You won't be going to an OculusCon if you don't already have it, however. Just like everyone who goes to Minecon already has Minecraft.

If you show it on for example E3 however, it wouldn't be virtual as that is filled with potential customers.
The Rift is a high FoV HMD, not the matrix. People can have virtual conventions once a month, there would be very little overhead and it would be convenient, but there will still be a need for physical gatherings.

Am I going to stream the demos at home? What about the latency? Do I have to download them first? How can I try Geekmaster's fresnel lenses if I am at home? How can I try the Virtuix Omni?

How can I see how the Next Big Thing runs on an nVidia Titan?
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Dakor wrote: That said a live Stream with an 360° camera would be essential :lol:
(I don't mean an radio Controlled camera, i mean a camera setup that captures 360° so that a software can be written for the use with the Rift.. this would allow multi user per cam)
They are already working on bots for us to join in via our Rifts :)
telebot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

That's a really cool idea. I have access to a really good event organizer, and the universities as well (for space, game development programs, etc.).

Do you think an event like this could be effective in Toronto, Canada, or would it have to be in the US?

I know the GDC people well too, but that would probably make things a lot more expensive to do.

Regards,
Neil
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Such an event would most likely be coupled with something similar - in Europe the GDC would be a good event. Lots of developers in town, even gamers since the Gamescom is also at the same time. So you can reach new groups and also make the trip even more worthwhile. Doing it as a standalone thing might be a bit too much.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

If this is done could a VR or telepresence feature be added?

I'd never be able to go (crazy real-life job) but would love to participate in some fashion.
yautjacetanu
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yautjacetanu »

I wonder if a MTBS con is more likely to be succesful :P Ultimately the thing that makes these cons work is the networking with like-minded people. Quakecon there is lots of actualy online gaming and then I'd assume that a minecon would be a place to share and investigate other people's creations. The Drupal Con is a great place to learn how to further your career in Drupal. The networking is primary, the booths, etc are secondary imo.

Anyway, even if it was small a place for MTBS people to meet each other and chat about 3D and oculus had any presence there that could be quite cool. Could start off small and then grow as VR becomes a bigger thing.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I know the right people to organize this. I even have access to get game development schools involved, etc. The only concern I have is location. Toronto is a big city, but we are Canucks after all! Mind you, so is James Cameron.

Would being Ontario, Canada based hold this thing back? Another option is if we had some external help by a US party, we can act as media sponsors and do other things to contribute and help make it happen if it had to be done elsewhere.

Regards,
Neil
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Less than 10% of our orders went to Canada, the majority were to the United States, with Europe being a big chunk too. Canada is probably not the best location.

At least for now, I imagine that combining forces with another well traveled developer convention would make the most sense. Lots of people already going, lots of room for Rift owners to mix with VR newbies. :P
Neil

Post by Neil »

I figured this. I think it's worth pursuing somehow - it could be really cool.

Should it be RiftCon or something industry-wide (MTBSCon)? There are all kinds of cool inventions happening on the site which go beyond the Rift. Maybe there should be a purpose beyond just getting together. Like a VR and ideas kickstarter-in-person or something. Or some purpose for getting all these VR braniacs together in one place.

Where's John Carmack when you need him?!? That's probably a good starting point right there.

Regards,
Neil
3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dRat »

just Oculus Event? I mean you better wait E3 before planning anything, Im sure Sony and MS will have something to say about VR (unless they about to talk about the Rift itself :lol: )
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

If I were advising them I'd suggest working on development but don't make any announcements until these things are in the hands of more people and the Wow factor has worn off.

I'd be very surprised if they said anything just yet.
omeDev
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by omeDev »

mtbscon sounds cool!
Lurking in the shadows.
indiegogo has a gaming section:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects?filte ... ory=Gaming
drifter

Post by drifter »

Well if the consumer Rift could be launched by this time next year, the CES in january would be a good spot.
I want to see that Holodeck in live.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Who's to say Oculus wouldn't have OculusCon in virtual space :D
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

brantlew wrote:Who's to say Oculus wouldn't have OculusCon in virtual space :D
This would be huge! All the Rifters packed in the virtual cinema and connected over Teamspeak or Mumble!
Cymatic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cymatic »

An official, sponsored con would be fantastic maybe a year or two from now, I would love to see this happen! Bonus points if it is attached to GDC, DICE Summit, or CES.

In the mean time, I would like to see (and would be happy to help organize) 'mini cons' in areas where there are a lot of OR owners. I'm talking renting out university/hotel conference rooms and charging a minimal fee to cover costs. Keep it relatively simple. Maybe organize a special guest or panel of notable community developers for a Q&A session; setup a brainstorming area where folks are encouraged to discuss ideas and network; a BYOR room for testing software; and a space designated for hacking/modding.
Bigger than a meet-up, but smaller than a corporate sponsored extravaganza.

Reminds me of the days when anime conventions were a couple dozen fans meeting at a community college.
Cymatic Bruce, VR Evangelist, Developer Relations @ Qualia3d
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

I think a physical, VRcon would be good. You could try different headsets, including homemade ones from mtbs members etc. Also high end kit. Also lots of different accessories - eg omnitreadmills etc.

And let us bring our own rifts if we don't want to reuse ones that have been worn by thousands of sweaty folks previously.
drifter

Post by drifter »

PalmerTech wrote:Less than 10% of our orders went to Canada, the majority were to the United States, with Europe being a big chunk too.
Would be nice to have some stats a bit more detailed, just for curiosity :)
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ok. I think we should do this. I wouldn't suggest this within the year, but we should start wrapping our minds around it.

Interested vendors and partners should PM me. Let's size up the interest in making something like this work.

Regards,
Neil
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

I am glad you think it is such a good idea, Neil!

Not to mention honoured that my thread was graced by both Palmer and your Royal MTBSness!

Let the VRCon begin :woot
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Neil wrote:Ok. I think we should do this. I wouldn't suggest this within the year, but we should start wrapping our minds around it.

Interested vendors and partners should PM me. Let's size up the interest in making something like this work.

Regards,
Neil
It doesn't have to be Oculus-centric. It could just be 3D/VR centric and MTBS3D could organize it. Hell I would go just to demo all the fun projects within this forum in person.

Rift
FOV2GO
Vireio
Wizdish
Omni
Posittron
The Gallery
Red Rovr
Oculus Virtual Lounge
GVS
and others

Plus any vendor products that wanted to show
Leep
Kinect
Virtuasphere
nVidia
Sony
SMD
Tridef
etc...
Neil

Post by Neil »

Let's give this thing a name and stick with it!

I like "Immersipalooza". What do you think?

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Funny, but too cheesy for me. Should have "VR" in the name somewhere.

Maybe "VirCon" or something shorter like that (though that's a company and probably couldn't be used).

Or "VRC" for virtual reality conference.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Cheesy?!? That's the best part! It's fun! There have been countless VR conferences before which are on the straight an narrow. This has to be fun and sound fun. Let there be cheese!

I already got some calls from people loving the name. I think there is real potential with this.

Keep in mind that VR is just one aspect of this. There is AR, 3D, gesture technologies, haptics...big, Big, BIG! Immersipalooza! :woot

Regards,
Neil
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I think a chance to try out all of the new hardware people are coming up with would be great.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

sounds like a spell from Harry Potter ... I like it :)
drifter

Post by drifter »

well i was thinking of all the terms already used :
convention, assembly, symposium, show, gathering, meeting, event...
Sure, "palooza" is quite... original :)
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

This will be a major event with so many new types of peripherals coming out in the past few years and the bright future ahead.

I'm interested in basically anything related to Virtual, Extended and Augmented Reality.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, you are right Neil. There is definitely more out there than just straight VR. If people like the "Immersipalooza" name, I could roll with it. Keeping with the name, there should be electronic music DJs with live interactive art installations and the whole nine.

Stuff like this:
http://vimeo.com/45417241
Neil

Post by Neil »

Sweet!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Neil
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

re: the location, i imagine most would need to travel, so i don't see toronto being a bad location. closer to oculus hq might be better to make it easier on those guys. my two cents...

Return to “Oculus VR”