Demo a rift devkit?

xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Demo a rift devkit?

Post by xhonzi »

So... crazy idea. For those of us who didn't get a Rift and haven't made a DIY version... who wants to let us try a devkit?

If you're the sharing type and live near Denver, CO... I'd love to check it out when you get it. I'll bring food.

EDIT: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... d41543084a

This is a google map to put your near-Denver location down so I know how to find you. It's pretty sweet! I guess you could put locations down other than Denver (Co Springs, Aurora, Thornton, Arvada, Ft Collins, Littleton, Westminster, etc.) but don't go too crazy!
Last edited by xhonzi on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Demo a rift devkit?

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Anyone near Brighton (UK) is welcome to come and try my dev kit, though I'm post-kickstarter so it will be a while :cry:
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

:D ... I plan to actually promote my game that way! But I want to see the build quality first and how big the "sweat" factor is to it ... I might not want to share the same Rift with a hundred people.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Dgibson2099
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dgibson2099 »

Thehollychicken I will come and demo it with you, I can bring my dev kit with me and get some multiplayer going on, your only a short trip down the m6 from me :-). I am post kickstarter too so will probably get mine around the same time as you :-). Can't wait
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

GeraldT wrote::D ... I plan to actually promote my game that way! But I want to see the build quality first and how big the "sweat" factor is to it ... I might not want to share the same Rift with a hundred people.
Since you're in Austria, I guess I don't care. :lol:
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

I'm in Charlotte, nc and I plan to have rift viewing parties at my apartment :). I want to get everyone as excited as I am for the consumer version. Feel free to come on down in April ;)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Drewbdoo wrote:I'm in Charlotte, nc and I plan to have rift viewing parties at my apartment :). I want to get everyone as excited as I am for the consumer version. Feel free to come on down in April ;)
After the guys from "The Verge" said taking off the Rift was like coming down from LSD, and that the Rift was like crushing marijuana and smearing the paste on crack, if true, you could sell tickets for your Rift Parties. They could be a modern replacement for popular Nitrous Oxide parties of old:
http://www.freshgasflow.com/stories/short_history.html
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Post by Dantesinferno »

@drewbdoo I'm from fayettville man, I'll definitely stop by. I'm working on a vr gun so maybe we could see how well it implements in with the rift
ishist
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ishist »

Wilmington, NC here. I'm gonna be getting as many people as I can to try it out. Also post-kickstarter so I'll be late to the party as well.

edit: Looks like we have North Carolina about covered.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Noel Adams (1952 - 2001)
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

I'm taking mine to a guy who owns 30 computer stores. The best kind of computer stores. The WNFA kind ('We're Not Futzing Around').

http://www.canadacomputers.com/
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
dbuckvs
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by dbuckvs »

Heheh, well, in the philly area we'll have at least one at the weekly dev nights at: http://www.cipherprime.com/devnight once it appears.
got a rift and a hydra? check out a thing it's a hot mess of control schemes and ideas, but it's fun.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Oohhh, I never thought about User Groups. If you have local User Group meetings it might be fun to hop in with it.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

TheHolyChicken wrote:Anyone near Brighton (UK) is welcome to come and try my dev kit, though I'm post-kickstarter so it will be a while :cry:
i live in cheshire so i'm the whole country away. but i am post kickstarter aswell.
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

Savannah, GA here. I plan to talk over a VR game project with the game design chair of my university in the coming weeks. I have fellow students who've shown interest in producing something for the Rift already...I'm keeping it rather quiet until I know just where events might lead. Rest assured, I will be demoing the dev kit a lot this summer. Better invest in lens wipes. :mrgreen:
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

If anyone's in Adelaide, Australia, and can wait for a post-kickstarter, I can demo it for people when I get it.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Are you guys allowing people to wear glasses while wearing your Rift? Just curious, because I think I remember someone from Oculus (Palmer?) saying that glasses can potentially scratch the lenses. Might be something to be careful about if you're demoing to a lot of people. Might want to at least ask them to place it on their face gently :P
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I've been wearing glasses with the Rift, and I haven't had a problem scratching my glasses (or the lenses). Though I can certainly see that happening.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Maybe they can wear their glasses with it if they set the dials to Superific (or is it Dreamonumental?) and there's enough clearance between the lenses and the glasses. But I'm not letting people scratch up my rift. They can use the eye cups if they're short-sighted.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

maybe buy extra eye cups if they become available and keep a pair for your use only.
VRus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VRus »

by chance anyone from Lithuania reading this, there will be a Rift demo-party as soon as my Dev-Kit arrives
Location: "Pilaite Beepart" community center in Vilnius, check http://www.beepart.lt/ for annoucements, or PM me
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

Haha all this talk of demoing rifts has me scheming up plans to make rent money for the month! Haha would it be in bad taste to throw a vr party with an entrance fee? lol
VRus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VRus »

IGameArt wrote:Haha all this talk of demoing rifts has me scheming up plans to make rent money for the month! Haha would it be in bad taste to throw a vr party with an entrance fee? lol
a smart drug dealer would go with 'first one free' scheme... ;) and then make _real_ money from the 2nd, 3rd, ...
all the way until the consumer version starts hitting the stores
norgoth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by norgoth »

hi guys. i m a huge french rift fan ( not a developer ) and if one devkit is near Paris for demo i m ready to test :mrgreen:
Itinerati
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Itinerati »

SF Bay area, and I'm looking forward to introducing people to it. Though I imagine we have a higher-than-average number of rifts headed up here, so chances are locals already have their demo source lined up :D
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

@Norgoth, if I have the money for a plane ticket, I'd trade some demo time for a free place to stay near paris ;)

@Dantesinferno - That sounds awesome - I'd love to help with your vr gun :)
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

I'm planning to steal TheHolyChicken's if his arrives before mine ;)
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Itinerati wrote:SF Bay area, and I'm looking forward to introducing people to it. Though I imagine we have a higher-than-average number of rifts headed up here, so chances are locals already have their demo source lined up :D
Just a bit south of you in Santa Cruz.

Would be interesting to see a map distribution of where all of the Rifts went.

Even a breakdown by country would be fascinating.
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

Pingles wrote:
Itinerati wrote: Even a breakdown by country would be fascinating.
Rift World Distribution... I'm in for it! Anyone at Oculus care to make an Excel Export :mrgreen:
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

If anybody near Tulsa Oklahoma area wants a demo I can accommodate you in April. I wasn't a Kickstarter backer but I preordered the day they went on sale at OculusVR.com.
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bretspot »

Itinerati wrote:SF Bay area, and I'm looking forward to introducing people to it. Though I imagine we have a higher-than-average number of rifts headed up here, so chances are locals already have their demo source lined up :D
I might have to take you up on that. October website buyer, so not expecting mine for at-least another 2 months. :(
Congratulations! You're a backer of Among the Sleep by Krillbite Studio
Itinerati
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Itinerati »

@Bretspot - Shoot me a pm as soon as the kickstarter ones start arriving and I'll tell you where to find me ;)
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Itinerati wrote:@Bretspot - Shoot me a pm as soon as the kickstarter ones start arriving and I'll tell you where to find me ;)
Wow. You're nice.

I am gonna need a few weeks of just me and my baby. I may share later but we are gonna need some quality time just the two of us.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I've created an "Oculus Rift demoers" map on Google Maps. Feel free to add yourself, it should be editable by anyone :
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... d41543084a

I've added myself with my forum/kickstarter nick in the title and my backing date and a text saying I'm open for demoing around Perpignan, France in the description. I didn't add the precise location of where I live though, I'm not that adventurous, I pinned the train station instead. :P
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Fredz wrote:I've created an "Oculus Rift demoers" map on Google Maps. Feel free to add yourself, it should be editable by anyone :

I've added myself with my forum/kickstarter nick in the title and my backing date and a text saying I'm open for demoing around Perpignan, France in the description. I didn't add the precise location of where I live though, I'm not that adventurous, I pinned the train station instead. :P

Added!
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

KBK wrote:I'm taking mine to a guy who owns 30 computer stores. The best kind of computer stores. The WNFA kind ('We're Not Futzing Around').

http://www.canadacomputers.com/

I'll explain why I'm taking mine to Gordon. (the owner of Canada computers).

Gordon was importing Chinese and Asian computer equipment before that market even existed. Gordon is Asian and spoke the language and lingo, and manged to be one of the originals. He went out and did it, he made it happen. (Knew him when we were buying out of his living room, for the most part)

He kept his prices so low that you could say that the prices on computer equipment, in the western world, was lowest in North America. In North America, it was lowest in Canada. In Canada, it was lowest in Ontario. In Ontario, it was lowest in Kingston. In Kingston, the lowest price, was at Canada Computers. I could walk into his store and know that I had the best price that could be found anywhere, on anything that could be put in a computer.

Now Gordon is up to 30 stores, all of them, for the most part, full service, full stocking.

With the above scenario, regarding rift marketing and market penetration....... As Gordon moves, Ontario falls, Canada falls, and North America falls.

It's all in knowing which domino to flick.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

@KBK: It must feel really nice knowing you are the smartest guy on the planet, and that your friends are the second and third smartest guys on the planet.

I wish I was that smart. :roll:
VRus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VRus »

Fredz wrote:I've created an "Oculus Rift demoers" map on Google Maps. Feel free to add yourself, it should be editable by anyone :

Thanks a lot! Added.

a good place to observe how Rift is "taking over" the World... :)
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

geekmaster wrote:@KBK: It must feel really nice knowing you are the smartest guy on the planet, and that your friends are the second and third smartest guys on the planet.

I wish I was that smart. :roll:
I just got lucky, in where I lived, at the time, and ran into Gordon. Then I looked at it, and said, hey..this may work. Circumstances say that this appears to be a good avenue.

Do you trust your intellect, good sir? Do you doubt it when you should? They're only words on a page, that you interpret. They're not me and they're not you. Don't read more into them than they are. They are just shapes your eye/brain utilizes for mental translation, nothing more.

Would you be happier if I disarmed what appears to be self confidence into what would appear to be self depreciation, if only for your interpretive sake? :)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

KBK wrote:Would you be happier if I disarmed what appears to be self confidence into what would appear to be self depreciation, if only for your interpretive sake? :)
No need to negate it. Just trim it back enough so that others can fit in the room with you... :mrgreen:
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

Nice idea, I've added myself, I hope trolls won't ruin it
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community

Return to “Oculus VR”