Lens Separation (IPD) for the Oculus Rift DK pros and cons

bboyza
One Eyed Hopeful

Lens Separation (IPD) for the Oculus Rift DK pros and cons

Post by bboyza »

Hi,

So a while back I did instructions for a DIY mod (http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/07/31/diy- ... l-ipd-7284) to adjust the Lens Separation (IPD) for the Oculus Rift. It was clear that a bunch of people would benefit to I decided to apply myself and put together a set of models that anyone can get printed and shipped to them to save them the DIY hassle. I also fixed a lot of incorrect measurements along the way which were made earlier on and got some help along the way.

There are two main opinions in this respect which I'd like to discuss.

1. Supportive, Low and High IPD users rejoice.
2. Concerned developers around the resultant misalignment between lens and image projection on screen.

First start with number 2 - the misalignment between lens and image projection on screen.

The assumption is that the DK lens separation is always fixed at 64mm (Fair enough, this is how it's manufactured). The release version of the rift I would think would return a value that is either set, or is detected by the device itself (most likely) but it would be variable. Either way developers need not worry about the value as such, they just need to ask the OVR Library what the value is.

Now that it's possible to adjust the lens separation of the DK (which I think is a good thing), the assumption that the lenses are always fixed at 64mm no longer stands. Here are the options:
  • Oculus helps out in some way.
  • Developers can provide their own override setting. (E.g HL2, Minecrift)
  • Users accept the trade-off. I personally prefer the added clarity over the imperfect projection. However with them both correct is best.
  • Hook into the OVR Library and use function interception.
I've listed these in what I would think would be the least to most painfully for the community to accomplish. Sure the easiest would be for Oculus to provide some sort of override which can be added to say the config file manually, and yes I suppose we shouldn't expect that of them. But why not support an initiative that improves the VR experience for some, surely it's a good thing? Let's talk about that next.

1. Supportive, Low and High IPD users rejoice.

So with an IPD of 58mm, I've experienced both with and without lens separation adjustment and I reckon it's a big improvement even with the drawbacks, it affects every game and demo out there positively and can only strengthen the Oculus brand if people are having a better time. The return on investment even just giving it a thumbs up or down I believe is well worth it for Oculus. I'd like to see Oculus remain community focused and support innovations like this in the spirit in which the company was founded.

What you think, is this a good or a bad thing and how should we address the drawbacks? Thanks.

(If anyone wants to check out the models just search for "vrgear shapeways").
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Lens Separation (IPD) for the Oculus Rift DK pros and co

Post by PasticheDonkey »

i pretty much abandoned making modifications myself just because of the software issues. if you're not oculus you can't get people on board. hopefully they design hardware and support it in the sdk so that can allow people more customised and comfortable experiences.

Return to “Oculus VR”