Quake for Rift-alike HMDs

AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Quake for Rift-alike HMDs

Post by AdaAugmented »

Another boring update. Maybe some of the DIYers will find it interesting though. I've made most of the variables in the shader adjustable now, so it should allow people to customise the warping and stereo effect to suit their particular HMD. This sort of thing is what I really wanted to have available when I finish building my own HMD, so I can easily experiment with different settings and work out what is important for getting as close to a perfect warp correction as possible.

(all images are set to cross eyed viewing)

Typical fairly strong pre-warp scaled up to fit the screen:

The same pre-warp with scaling turned off:

That same pre-warp with scaling turned off and the stereo renders shifted inwards to suit a narrow IPD:

Similar set up, but with the warp centre shifted inwards as well to place the centre of the lens warp infront of a narrow IPD:

Or more realistically, the same effect scaled up for better screen utilisation:

In practise I imagine something like this will be the way to go, scaling for close to 100% screen fill:

Can anyone think of any obvious things I've left out? I intentionally left vertical adjustments out to keep things simple, I don't anticipate a huge need to change vertical stuff and I'm assuming the official Rift will have vertical height fixed along the centre line of the screen. That might be a faulty assumption though, I know it's a point that's been discussed here and there.
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by IGameArt »

The only thing i can think of is a download link ;) Haha it's looking pretty amazing though dude.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Nice job.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Quake 1 will always have a special place in my heart, retains much HDD space to this day. It was the first 'real' 3d fps for me. Got my 3dfx voodoo to play this and mechwarrior after thrashing them for a year in software at like 320x240 :lol:
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Okta

Post by Okta »

GeraldT wrote:
AdaAugmented wrote:Haha, everyone loves Quake. That probably says something about the demographic of this forum. ;)
:lol: ... we are all old farts ^^

I don't think I care for the HUD information in Quake (unless there were some story elements I forgot about :mrgreen: ). Would it be possible to get rid of them?

And thank you for investing time on this - playing Quake would be awesome :)
Easiest way to pick pick an old(ish) school PC gamer from a console baby. Ask them- "Quake 1 or Halo?"

:lol:
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Okta wrote:Easiest way to pick pick an old(ish) school PC gamer from a console baby. Ask them- "Quake 1 or Halo?"

Half life.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Mystify wrote:
Okta wrote:Easiest way to pick pick an old(ish) school PC gamer from a console baby. Ask them- "Quake 1 or Halo?"

Half life.
Midi-Maze!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_Maze

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29sTZedLcWk[/youtube]

Even before the release of Wolfenstein 3D, a bunch of us (up to 16 players) used to get together back in 1987-88 for a Midi Maze "LAN (Midi?) Party" with our Atari ST 'puters and CRTs all over the house with long Midi cables connecting them all into a big "Daisy Chain". It as an addicting multi-player full color FPS that predates PC gaming.

We even played some customized mazes (easy to edit/create with a text editor using just X's and spaces).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88zeUDAU9BM[/youtube]

Midi-Maze was my "gateway drug" getting me hooked on multi-player FPS games.

Midi-Maze was also re-released for game consoles under the name "Faceball 2000".

But then Wolfenstein 3D took our attention away from Midi-Maze when we put away our Atari ST toys and graduated to "real" PCs. :lol:
drifter

Post by drifter »

jf031 wrote:I personally want Quake to be my first VR experience
A very fast paced FPS for a first VR experience ? hmmm... I dunno...
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

drifter wrote:
Although the movement speed will still be fast, I'll be using "notarget", "god," and "noclip" (when an enemy blocks my way) console commands, so I'll be able to explore the levels at my leisure.
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

drifter wrote:
I also have reservations about the pace of the game for VR. I'm thinking about building a more VR oriented test map once I have everything else sorted out, or tweaking the vanilla game to be a bit slower paced, or increasing the player's weapon damage for one or two shot kills. Something along those lines to keep the game satisfying and hopefully tone down the disorientation a bit. It will probably really shine when we get a few people together for VR deathmatch though. ;)
zoost
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zoost »

I did not read the whole thread, but have you implemented seperate head movement from body movement and direction? In that case i would love to play Quake 1 again with the Rift.
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

Plus you can always lower the player walking speed so you dont get sick
vietNOM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vietNOM »

AdaAugmented wrote:
drifter wrote:
I also have reservations about the pace of the game for VR. I'm thinking about building a more VR oriented test map once I have everything else sorted out, or tweaking the vanilla game to be a bit slower paced, or increasing the player's weapon damage for one or two shot kills. Something along those lines to keep the game satisfying and hopefully tone down the disorientation a bit. It will probably really shine when we get a few people together for VR deathmatch though. ;)
OOoooo flashbacks of rocket arena on dm3 :o and oh my! quake rift deathmatch servers! :shock: haha sounds awesome. i would make sure ya remove any flashes on the screen, i know the drowning underwater thing in quake on a rift would prob put someone into a seizure D:

i dunno if i would like the playerspeed lowered! so if ya do that please make it a option? love the daily updates on your progess btw! never boring! :woot
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

Walking speed is just a standard option in Quake, so you'd configure it to suit yourself, and I imagine whoever runs a multiplayer server would be able to control it for everyone. Not sure, it's been ages since I really played Quake.

No progress today, I spent the day working on my car instead.

Right now I've reached the limit of what I intend to do with the actual shader code, at least for now, and so I'm trying to split my shader stuff out from the built in post processing shader, so I can run it later in the render loop so that it warps the console and menu and hud and so on. It's turning out to be pretty challenging and I might have to actually get serious about learning how everything works. Or I might pick it back up tomorrow and everything might fall into place.. that often seems to happen after I take a break from a programming challenge.

Check out this game built on the same engine:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ufjRoidV_E#![/youtube] // sigh, I don't know why this isn't working.

Its a fork of the old Nexuiz. It's quite pretty hey? Maybe I'll end up using this as a base for a game of my own.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

AdaAugmented wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ufjRoidV_E#![/youtube] // sigh, I don't know why this isn't working.
You need to remove the "#!" HTML anchor from that youtube URL, like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ufjRoidV_E[/youtube]

Although I rarely watch TV (especially not sporting events), this was interesting because of the choice of "sport". That play-by-play given in classic "sports commentator" style sure made it "feel" like I was watching spectator sports on the TV, just like an "armchair quarterback".

The thrill of virtual victory, and the agony of virtual defeat, indeed! :lol:

It really does look quite good. I am looking forward to experiencing this (or at least the "agony of defeat" part of it) in my Rift. :D
sth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sth »

drifter wrote:
Sure, it's not ideal in terms of pacing etc., but as jf031 already said: Just exploring the game at your own pace, using notarget and god mode, might already be fun. Quake's map design has some really interesting geometry, some of which could be very intense in VR. For example there are many jumps from very big heights and stuff like that. I also wonder how maps like E1M8 (reduced gravity) might feel.

Just don't expect to join any public multiplayer server using a VR headset – there's no way you would survive longer than a few seconds against people using keyboard and mouse (also, the few remaining players on QuakeWorld servers are usually very, very good).

But a VR-only server might be fun, where everybody has the same "handicap".
I could provide a dedicated gameserver for that purpose, if someone's interested.
Last edited by sth on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

AdaAugmented wrote:Walking speed is just a standard option in Quake, so you'd configure it to suit yourself, and I imagine whoever runs a multiplayer server would be able to control it for everyone. Not sure, it's been ages since I really played Quake.
Cool, did not realize that it was a console command. And I should've, as I've seen (to those unaware, you can use cmdlist and cvarlist to see all of the console commands) and used the "sv_" commands before, with one in regards to gravity.

For those who are also interested in exploring Quake maps, there is one open-source application out there that gives you online access to (most) every free "third-party" single player map out there. Quake Injector. It even launches you directly into the map in whichever version of Quake you have -- if you are in Windows. It looks like the project was abandoned before a fix for OS-level case-sensitivity was made; in Unix-like OSes, any map that has even a single capital letter won't be launched correctly by Quake Injector, so for those you'll have to enter map mapname (with the map's name replacing mapname) in Quake's console.
vietNOM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vietNOM »

oooh! i didn't know it was server side either... very cool then! and i agree checking out the maps with god mode and ya own pace would be great. quake was what got me into computers way back when which i just realized was 17 years ago.... ugh. lol

edit: just checked out that quake injector. "All Quake singleplayer maps ever made (900+) in the database" :shock: will get this. thanks for the link!
TitanClash
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TitanClash »

For me, Unreal was my champion that ushered in 3d acceleration. Such a beautiful, alien and mesmerizing world. Some of my earliest modding/experimentation happened on Nyleve Falls -- this thread reminded me that when the Rift comes, I'll be able to experience it again in a way like I never could before.
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

Sure enough, taking a little break got me some perspective on figuring this thing out and I've made a tiny bit more progress. Prewarp right at the end of the render loop, where it can warp 2D elements and HUD stuff:

I received the lenses for my DIY HMD project yesterday so I'm anxious to get the rendering side of this finished up.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

AdaAugmented wrote:Sure enough, taking a little break got me some perspective on figuring this thing out and I've made a tiny bit more progress. Prewarp right at the end of the render loop, where it can warp 2D elements and HUD stuff:

I received the lenses for my DIY HMD project yesterday so I'm anxious to get the rendering side of this finished up.
Good start, but that menu needs to be closer to the viewer in your sample image (or swap menu L/R images). It hurts a little to see the text embedded in stone back there. If you view it wide-eyed, the text looks much better, but the shotgun is whacked...
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

geekmaster wrote:Good start, but that menu needs to be closer to the viewer in your sample image (or swap menu L/R images). It hurts a little to see the text embedded in stone back there. If you view it wide-eyed, the text looks much better, but the shotgun is whacked...
Good observation. Sorting out the 2D elements and especially menus and stuff is waaay down my list of priorities, but yeah it looks really messy in that screenshot. I'm not sure if menu elements and the console are drawn on transparent polys with their own depth or if they're just drawn in 2D "on the screen" so to speak. Hopefully they have 3D depth and I can just move them well infront of everything else.

STILL a few more rendering things to implement, but after that I want to see about head tracking.

So I'm just wondering if there's a standard that people would like to see implemented? I was thinking about starting with FreePIE and 3DOF head tracking. If I can also get FreePIE to play nice with my Hydra I'll see about 6DOF head tracking as well. I still haven't decided for the long term whether I plan to use the Hydra for head tracking generally or keep it unmolested as a two handed VR interface. I might have to buy a YEI tracker when I run out of other things to do.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

AdaAugmented wrote:I still haven't decided for the long term whether I plan to use the Hydra for head tracking generally or keep it unmolested as a two handed VR interface. I might have to buy a YEI tracker when I run out of other things to do.
I would like to see an option for one hydra controller for head tracking and the other hydra controller for tracking one hand. Other options too, but certainly that one right away. AFAIK the hydra firmware support FOUR controllers, so I wonder if there is some way to hack it. I have two hydras: one for using and one for hacking, per cybereality's recommendation when they were half-priced with the coupon code.
:D
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

geekmaster wrote:
AdaAugmented wrote:I still haven't decided for the long term whether I plan to use the Hydra for head tracking generally or keep it unmolested as a two handed VR interface. I might have to buy a YEI tracker when I run out of other things to do.
I would like to see an option for one hydra controller for head tracking and the other hydra controller for tracking one hand. Other options too, but certainly that one right away. AFAIK the hydra firmware support FOUR controllers, so I wonder if there is some way to hack it. I have two hydras: one for using and one for hacking, per cybereality's recommendation when they were half-priced with the coupon code.
:D
It sounds like your ideal setup is the same as my ideal setup with the hardware I have available now. I don't think I want to use the Hydra as a long term head tracking solution though when wireless YEI trackers are relatively affordable, I think having both hands available in a VR environment would be really interesting, so I'm quite keen to experiment with that later.

I think that if there are FreePIE bindings for the Hydra (I haven't checked yet) then I might try to get things working through FreePIE to start with, which should give end users plenty of freedom to mix and match input devices. But I'm also a bit cautious that FreePIE might introduce a bit too much latency - I haven't played with it yet, I'm just a bit reserved right now - so direct integration of the Hydra might be inevitable.
Last edited by AdaAugmented on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

AdaAugmented wrote:I think that if there are FreePIE bindings for the Hydra (I haven't checked yet) then I might try to get things working through FreePIE to start with, which should end users plenty of freedom to mix and match input devices. But I'm also a bit cautious that FreePIE might introduce a bit too much latency - I haven't played with it yet, I'm just a bit reserved right now - so direct integration of the Hydra might be inevitable.
There have been multiple reports that FreePIE has Hydra support. Adding FreePIE support will allow other devices to be supported too, so that is probably a good place to start.
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

I picked up my 7" display earlier and just watched a few Quake demos on it through my lenses. So far things seem promising, I think all of this is going to pay off. :)

The first problem I can see at this stage is that with enough prewarp to counter the pin cushioning from the lenses I have to scale the image up quite a lot to get close to full screen coverage, which in turn destroys a lot of clarity in the final image. I may have to try rendering a larger viewport and then warping it down to fit the screen, to keep everything sharp.

As much as I want to build my DIY Rift and keep hacking away at this, I have a deadline looming for work, so I think I might have to put this project on hold for a day or two.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@AdaAugmented: At least with the Rifts we have in the office, the outer extremities of the screen can't be seen through the lenses. The center of the screen should have full coverage, but the outer parts can be black and its not that big of a deal. Also, because the warp shader reduces quality, it is a good idea to render to a higher resolution buffer to feed into the pixel shader. This will keep the image nice and crisp when viewing on the headset.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I believe brantlew has written a FreePIE plugin for the Hydra.

I don't really think FreePIE will introduce much latency and is probably a good solution to easily add support for multiple devices. Native is also always nice however...
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

cybereality wrote:@AdaAugmented: At least with the Rifts we have in the office, the outer extremities of the screen can't be seen through the lenses. The center of the screen should have full coverage, but the outer parts can be black and its not that big of a deal. Also, because the warp shader reduces quality, it is a good idea to render to a higher resolution buffer to feed into the pixel shader. This will keep the image nice and crisp when viewing on the headset.
Yeah, cool, that seems to match my expectation and understanding. Thanks again for the hints. It's been quite interesting to realise how much extra you need to render to actually get something close to 800x640 pixels worth of warped image. It's definitely more computationally expensive than I first assumed when I started thinking about all this, I can see why the system requirements might end up being quite high for the sorts of games people are expecting to play.
WiredEarp wrote:I believe brantlew has written a FreePIE plugin for the Hydra.

I don't really think FreePIE will introduce much latency and is probably a good solution to easily add support for multiple devices. Native is also always nice however...
Awesome. Thanks for saving me the effort of hunting around. FreePIE sounds like the perfect starting point really. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the latency really is low enough. After hearing Carmack hammer on the point of input and total latency back when the Rift was first being shown around, I'm assuming I'll end up spending quite a bit of effort to get it low enough.
Okta

Post by Okta »

All the pictures you have shown so far are set to 100% overlap by the looks. Have you tackled the offset views yet?
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

Okta wrote:All the pictures you have shown so far are set to 100% overlap by the looks. Have you tackled the offset views yet?
Nope, once I get my HMD prototype put together I'll be able to experiment with more of that stuff, it should fit conveniently in with my plans to downsample from a higher res base image. I can kind of fake the effect by shifting the IPD inwards and then scaling the image up to fill the screen which I've played with a little bit, but it's not ideal yet.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

AdaAugmented wrote:
Okta wrote:All the pictures you have shown so far are set to 100% overlap by the looks. Have you tackled the offset views yet?
Nope, once I get my HMD prototype put together I'll be able to experiment with more of that stuff, it should fit conveniently in with my plans to downsample from a higher res base image. I can kind of fake the effect by shifting the IPD inwards and then scaling the image up to fill the screen which I've played with a little bit, but it's not ideal yet.
Perhaps you can create non-overlapped images by rendering a larger FoV, and then just crop different portions to create the non-overlapped images. I like simple methods when they work. But I work more with direct framebuffer manipulation (old school) that with GPUs. I am just an old bit basher and pixel pusher. I like to pipeline stuff into my custom blitter, so it operates in parallel on a low-latency line-by-line basis rather than a high-latency frame-by-frame basis. This may work well for squeezing interesting VR experiences from lowly hardware like a Raspberry Pi, but will not work for big fancy things that are challenging the uncanny valley with their near realism.

Cool little demos that demonstrate interesting algorithms and visual effects have their place with the Rift too, and that tweaks my interests at this time.

But Quake holds a special place in my heart, and it runs on darn near anything these days (even the Raspi). I would have a strong tendency to try Rift pre-warp using my own software blitter with displacement mapping. I could use separate displacement maps for (R/G/B) to compensate for chromatic aberration too. I dream in pixels. Learning all these new GPU thingies that keep going obsolete long before they die is a rather large learning curve for somebody who is already overcommitted. Pixel pushing it is!
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

geekmaster wrote:
AdaAugmented wrote:
Perhaps you can create non-overlapped images by rendering a larger FoV, and then just crop different portions to create the non-overlapped images. I like simple methods when they work. But I work more with direct framebuffer manipulation (old school) that with GPUs. I am just an old bit basher and pixel pusher. I like to pipeline stuff into my custom blitter, so it operates in parallel on a low-latency line-by-line basis rather than a high-latency frame-by-frame basis. This may work well for squeezing interesting VR experiences from lowly hardware like a Raspberry Pi, but will not work for big fancy things that are challenging the uncanny valley with their near realism.

Cool little demos that demonstrate interesting algorithms and visual effects have their place with the Rift too, and that tweaks my interests at this time.

But Quake holds a special place in my heart, and it runs on darn near anything these days (even the Raspi). I would have a strong tendency to try Rift pre-warp using my own software blitter with displacement mapping. I could use separate displacement maps for (R/G/B) to compensate for chromatic aberration too. I dream in pixels. Learning all these new GPU thingies that keep going obsolete long before they die is a rather large learning curve for somebody who is already overcommitted. Pixel pushing it is!
Yeah I've held off on learning shader stuff for so long, basically just from fear of the unknown. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not complicated at all and the standards have been established for quite some time.. I don't see it going anywhere so its very satisfying for me to add this to my skillset. I'm not sure of it becomes obsolete so much as it continues evolving as the hardware becomes more capable. Some lightweight demo style productions for the Rift would be awesome though. Imagine a tiny genetic or fractal algorithm creating a world on the fly as you walk around in real space. Perhaps seeding a RNG with GPS coordinates, or environmental sound data, to make every experience unique.
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

Tonight I put my DIY Rift together. Still needs a little bit of work to finish it off, but I got to try Quake out with a HMD and 2DOF head tracking. :) I'm quite pleased with myself. I really must fix the resolution of the warped image though, it's amazing how bad it is.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Just found this thread when I was searching for another FreePIE thread.

Maybe its time to implement a generic 6DOF plugin in FreePIE that any software can write / read from.

Until then you can take the same route as Vireio did with a standalone plugin (Or just use theirs)

https://github.com/Baristan6/VireioSMT
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

If you decide to use the VireioSMT plugin for FreePIE here is all the code you would need.

Code: Select all

TCHAR szName[]=TEXT("VireioSMTrack");

struct TrackData
{
	int DataID;

float Yaw;
	float Pitch;
	float Roll;

float X;
	float Y;
	float Z;
};

HANDLE hMapFile = NULL;
TrackData* pTracker = NULL;

// open shared memory file and map it to pTracker
bool openSMT()
{
		hMapFile = CreateFileMapping(
		INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE,     // use paging file
		NULL,	                              // default security
		PAGE_READWRITE,             // read/write access
		0,                                   // maximum object size (high-order DWORD)
		sizeof(TrackData),             // maximum object size (low-order DWORD)
		szName);                         // name of mapping object

if (hMapFile == NULL)										// Could not create file mapping object
		return false;

pTracker = (TrackData*) MapViewOfFile(hMapFile,			// handle to map object
		FILE_MAP_ALL_ACCESS,									// read/write permission
		sizeof(TrackData));

if (pTracker == NULL)										// Could not map view of file
	{
		CloseHandle(hMapFile);
		return false;
	}

return true;
}

//destructor
{
	UnmapViewOfFile(pTrackBuf);
	CloseHandle(hMapFile);
}
Maybe its time to implement a generic 6DOF plugin in FreePIE that any software can write / read from.
Would be nice. With so many new input devices coming out trying to support them all is difficult. Too bad Microsoft requires signed drivers for virtual HID. Until then FreePIE integration is a good option.
airons1972
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by airons1972 »

jf031 wrote:
drifter wrote:
Although the movement speed will still be fast, I'll be using "notarget", "god," and "noclip" (when an enemy blocks my way) console commands, so I'll be able to explore the levels at my leisure.

Thats a good idea. I often use god mode if i want to explore a level and not have to worry about being killed all the time. Saving often is also a good idea. I posted this in my home brew HMD thread, but since this forum is all about VR Quake i will repost it here as well.

This is a little video of me playing Quake using my 1024x768 home brew HMD with 2.4G wireless tracking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0QboDZq ... ture=share

airons1972
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

Thanks for the input everyone. I've had a brutal workload this past week so I've been slack about checking in here, things should be settling down a bit now though so hopefully I can get back into this. I really need a white board near my computer so I can keep track of what I'm doing.
3DJB
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJB »

So what's the latest status on this?!? If there is a working version, can someone please point me in the direction of the download link?
Nexius
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nexius »

I was just pointed to this thread when wishing for Rift-enabled Quake... Please tell us this is still being worked on? It's been a long time since an update. Quake is still my favorite FPS of all-time and I spent many weeks tweaking Darkplaces to look amazing, would be thrilled to be able to view the worlds on a Rift.

Return to “Oculus VR”