Notch has received his Rift!

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Notch has received his Rift!

Post by Namielus »

Remember Cartman attempting to deep freeze himself waiting for the wii? I feel like Cartman

Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

GeraldT wrote: At least convince Notch that he really needs to get Minecraft working with it to repair the damage he did :roll:
I bet he doesn't need much convincing at all. 8-)
HarleyMills
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HarleyMills »

@Namielus
Whenever I think about the Rift this episode always pops into my head. My friends keep telling me that I can't do that.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

KBK wrote: For the past 10 years, I've moved into consciousness descriptors, away from technical simplicities in language. IIRC, it is Einstein that said 'but simplify no more'? In consciousness/id/ego/(and more) exploration, the concepts are difficult and require flowery language and outlier components. Analogous to quaternions, or similar. It is the requirement when expressing complexities in single statements that have to be ingested whole.
That's probably just because you are very bad at that subject. You don't understand any of the basic concepts, so you cover it up with flowery language and added complexity. You are trying to fool yourself more than us though.
Just like I (embarrassingly) don't understand quaternions, so if I tried to explain them, it would sound even more complex and flowery.
KBK wrote: Now we move to similar with this Oculus rift device. For example, HUD's will have to move to simplistic but yet multi-tiered symbologies. Multi-tiered meaning xyz components. Color, shape, motion in the symbols will indicate a complex thought or meaning, in a single 'expression'.

(I see a devilishly complex game hiding in that thought)
You're right (mostly). But the phrase "multi-tiered symbologies" makes it sound like nonsense, even though it's literally true. Try saying "HUDs will need new kinds of 3D symbols" instead.

Actually, I think we can still use text sometimes. It shouldn't be drawn on the screen, because there is no screen in VR. But 3D text looks really awesome attached to models in the world.
http://vimeo.com/7336360
Cha0sD
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cha0sD »

I think floating text is the most elegant solution for puzzlers, or detective style games. I could see a lot of games dispensing with them all together and having readouts on watches or other 'physical' objects in the game world. The simple solution for a lot of HUDs in games where they are needed, is to have the character wear a helmet or a google glass like device. Particularly if it is a shooter or a bit sci-fi. Metroid Prime would have to be the best example of this style of implementation. Having your character wear a helmet would just add to immersion, considering you already have something strapped to your face. I could also see the success of Ironman contributing to HUD design, although I often think that too much info or 3D and animated HUD's deliver less information ultimately, than slick simple static HUDs.
jaybug
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by jaybug »

Dycus wrote:Have a run through our Kickstarter comments, searching for the user SPe3... have fun. :P People refer to him as Martin F in the comments - that was his first user name. His comments are rather good for a laugh.
Actually, his first username was Martin Feldkamp. He had the foresight to remove his actual last name once he started acting like a douche.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

bobv5 wrote: I also think it is not good that notch and whoever else are getting kits before the pre-kickstarter guys.
Notch put his name on the product to be used for marketing of the thing. People like him and Carmack has to get it as early as possible, their reputation is on the line for something they've not even been able to test properly.

Of course the guy advertising the product will get to test it as soon as possible.
jaybug
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by jaybug »

Getting proper Rift support in Minecraft would be a huge deal. I would give up mine and all of your people's place in the queue to see that happen :P
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

oculusfan wrote:Image
Hmm... pitch black room... looks like the non-BFG edition of Doom 3 also has Rift support!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

jaybug wrote:
Dycus wrote:Actually, his first username was Martin Feldkamp. He had the foresight to remove his actual last name once he started acting like a douche.
sound pretty German to me ... yeah we can be very "but it is written that ..." :D
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

bobv5 wrote:Looking at SPe3 posts, I don't know how crazy it gets latter, but so far he has a point. Communication from Oculus has been less than good. The current example would be how many have been made, and if they are on the boat from China to Oculus office. I suspect that question won't be answered until the lucky first people get shipping notification.

I also think it is not good that notch and whoever else are getting kits before the pre-kickstarter guys. I hope they get something REALLY good when the time comes. (Not a free T shirt.....)

I know some people in the auto industry...sometimes that boat ride can be a week or two...
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

notch pledged 10000 that should get you up the queue as well as the other rewards. it's the extra money from pledges like that that have allowed them to go to events etc.
yautjacetanu
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yautjacetanu »

2EyeGuy wrote:You're right (mostly). But the phrase "multi-tiered symbologies" makes it sound like nonsense, even though it's literally true.
Can't put my finger on exactly what it is but that sentence made me chuckle :)

Return to “Oculus VR”