Notch has received his Rift!

Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Notch has received his Rift!

Post by Mystify »

if you look closely, you can see the top strap on Notch. Its just barely visible, and blends in with the background.
the second picture of voliale's post gives a better view of it.
oculusfan
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by oculusfan »

LMAO. This is getting as good as the PhotoShop contest thread.
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

What I wouldn't give to be in that office right now :)

Happy for Notch and crew. Now go make some great content and stop playing pool in that multimillion dollar office!
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Dakor wrote: As far as i'm aware, he said that both games will get Rift support even if (and this was quoted by palmer many times) he hast to write the support for java himself. :)
Some side Info: Notch is no longer involved in developing Minecraft it's Jens Bergsteins (@jeb_) job now.

0x10c for the Oculus Rift... gives whole new meaning to the phrase "Java virtual machine". :lol:
Additives
Cross Eyed!

Post by Additives »

Looks like someone else may have too https://twitter.com/Cb_VRGeek/status/303657869784514560

No photos of this one yet though.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Additives wrote:Looks like someone else may have too https://twitter.com/Cb_VRGeek/status/303657869784514560

Here is another Oculus Rift early arrival report:
https://images.nonexiste.net/popular/20 ... he-matrix/

The photo shows it to be a fake! It looks like a camera bag on his face. Har Har ...
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Wow! cbwan has his Rift!

I'm trying to resist the temptation to go to my letterbox and check if I have one, since I know I'll be disappointed. :lol:
I preordered (ie. post-kickstarter ordered) and they haven't even confirmed shipping details (which are actually my parents'). So I shouldn't be getting my hopes up for a month or two.

But it's thrilling to see developers with real 7" Rifts. I think the Rift is going to have incredible software support from day 1.
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Additives wrote:Looks like someone else may have too https://twitter.com/Cb_VRGeek/status/303657869784514560

Seems like a good person to give one to early. Found his blog http://cb.nowan.net/blog/

He's primarily interested in developing VR-based experiences, here's a pretty cool video of a game jam VR project he and a few others created in 48 hours. Pretty ingenious use of a Razer Hydra if you ask me. Interested to see what he's cookin' up for the Rift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... QabwjQMbag
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I guess 1 second on the internet is forever
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

In addition to being a good person to have a Rift, Sebastien is also a good VR friend of mine. :)
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Enchance!!
enchance1_2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

PalmerTech wrote:In addition to being a good person to have a Rift, Sebastien is also a good VR friend of mine. :)
That's awesome, seems like a great VR friend to have right now :)

I especially love this part from his blog about the game jam project:

"Based on ideas from Judith, we also made sure that when the virtual candle touches the virtual table, the real candle touches the real table! Free haptics!

At one point you also have to push a button in a box. So we put a real box with the same size and position as the virtual one, so everytime the candle touches the virtual box, you can feel it and it doesn’t go through."

Such a simple idea I would have never thought of, using real-world objects as a point of contact with the controller. Now let's get a cloth sack prop like the one from Raiders of the Lost Ark and slap a Hydra onto it! Lots of potential here.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

cerulianbaloo wrote:
PalmerTech wrote:In addition to being a good person to have a Rift, Sebastien is also a good VR friend of mine. :)
That's awesome, seems like a great VR friend to have right now :)

I especially love this part from his blog about the game jam project:

"Based on ideas from Judith, we also made sure that when the virtual candle touches the virtual table, the real candle touches the real table! Free haptics!

At one point you also have to push a button in a box. So we put a real box with the same size and position as the virtual one, so everytime the candle touches the virtual box, you can feel it and it doesn’t go through."

Such a simple idea I would have never thought of, using real-world objects as a point of contact with the controller. Now let's get a cloth sack prop like the one from Raiders of the Lost Ark and slap a Hydra onto it! Lots of potential here.
I was planning to model my real physical environment using Kinect and/or optical flow, and include stylized versions of it in my VR demo (for personal demonstrations at my house). My reasoning was so that users could get up and walk around the room, while avoiding real obstacles. What I did not realize until reading the game jam blog was that you can interact with matching objects in both worlds simultaneously. So obviously, I now want to extend my initial concept to include "free haptic" object interactions.

Now, it occurs to me that with accurate hand tracking (Leap Motion perhaps), would could align a virtual and physical keyboard and mouse in both VR and RL, so that we would type and mouse with full tactile feedback.

I love this idea of VR/RL object intersections that can give free haptic feedback. It is nice to see something presented that fits so seemlessly into my existing plan for my VR demos. This idea could also be done for a VR kiosk (constrained demo/vending booth with matching VR/RL content) to aid sales presentations of VR gear. If you can control the RL and VR content, you can simulate AR (essentially what was done in the game jam example).

FYI, "RL" = Real Life, and we all know what VR is... ;)
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

Dude, Carmack best be getting one of these early ones! I need my doom 3 to be compatible with the new sensors and optics!
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

That's OK, I have simulated VR friends too. At least it's a step up from imaginary friends. ;) But we should try simulating people more famous than just Sebastien. People would probably pay more for a Rift game that simulates being friends with Johnny Depp, etc. :lol:

(I'm joking, BTW. I do get what Palmer actually meant, but the way he phrased it had too much potential for humour).
cerulianbaloo wrote:I especially love this part from his blog about the game jam project:

I thought of it before. There are so many cool things you can do with props in VR, as long as the game knows where they and you are.

And now I'd like to announce a special secret patented haptic feature that Oculus will be adding for free to the Rift Dev Kits:

While it would be great to be able to haptically simulate all the walls and surfaces in the virtual environment wherever you are in the game, the technology isn't quite there yet. But Oculus have specially haptically simulated one category of surface for added realism...

It's called "Haptic Floor". Oculus' proprietry Haptic Floor technology realistically simulates a physical floor or ground surface right where the floor or ground should be in the game! You will be able to feel the floor under your feet, and even reach down and touch it and feel the solid surface with your fingers just like it was real. It works in all games (except flying ones), and in all locations. There's no support for changing the texture of the surface yet though. It even simulates jumping, although there may be a slight lag or synchronisation issue. Falling isn't supported yet.

And coming soon for cockpit games... "Haptic Chair", feel just like you're sitting in a real chair in your favourite cockpit games. So real you can reach out and touch it.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

IGameArt wrote:Dude, Carmack best be getting one of these early ones! I need my doom 3 to be compatible with the new sensors and optics!
I'm pretty sure that the people who used their name to market the product, such as Notch and Carmack, will be getting the first ones. They have to, as they put their reputation on the line for the product and its potential.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

2EyeGuy wrote:... And now I'd like to announce a special secret patented haptic feature that Oculus will be adding for free to the Rift Dev Kits:

While it would be great to be able to haptically simulate all the walls and surfaces in the virtual environment wherever you are in the game, the technology isn't quite there yet. But Oculus have specially haptically simulated one category of surface for added realism...

It's called "Haptic Floor". Oculus' proprietry Haptic Floor technology realistically simulates a physical floor or ground surface right where the floor or ground should be in the game! You will be able to feel the floor under your feet, and even reach down and touch it and feel the solid surface with your fingers just like it was real. It works in all games (except flying ones), and in all locations. There's no support for changing the texture of the surface yet though. It even simulates jumping, although there may be a slight lag or synchronisation issue. Falling isn't supported yet.

And coming soon for cockpit games... "Haptic Chair", feel just like you're sitting in a real chair in your favourite cockpit games. So real you can reach out and touch it.
But you left out these all-important VR props in this thread over here (NSFW):
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=16356

Falling not supported? They have it down cold on the Wii and Kinect. Are you sure about that? :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXZiEXsSW8[/youtube]
Last edited by geekmaster on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Can't find this. Removed from twitter?!
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

Diorama wrote:Image
Here is what they are looking at...

They look awfully excited just to be starting at a blank screen. Those visors aren't even plugged in. I think they may need medicating before using this device for real.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

geekmaster wrote:Falling not supported? They have it down cold on the Wii and Kinect. Are you sure about that? :D
They can fall as a consequence of jumping, or their upper body can fall to where their lower body is. In both those cases, Oculus' Haptic Floor™ technology will realistically simulate all the haptic sensations and interactions with the virtual ground surface in those cases, up to several Newtons of force, and even replicating your avatar's sensations of pain and agony. And due to the Rift's highly portable nature, you can choose from several different virtual surface characteristics that you want to simulate falling on to select the degree of realism and immersion, all the way from the Carpet setting for beginners to Sticks and Sharp Gravel for advanced users, (although the choice of available settings may depend on where you live). Those features are definitely supported by the Rift's Haptic Floor™ technology.

But you can't simply walk off a cliff in the game and simulate the falling sensation and sudden lack of floor, since the game can't turn off and on the Haptic Floor™ during gameplay, it's permanently active. However in order to simulate the fullest cliff falling experience that the hardware can provide, it's recommended to adjust your playing style, so that rather than simply walking off a high cliff, you could jump and dive off the high virtual cliffs instead. Doing so will haptically simulate your character's falling sensation temporarily, followed by the haptic sensation of painfully hitting the bottom and possibly breaking your bones. The predictive nature of the Haptic Floor™ will ensure a negative latency on the hitting the ground part, with you actually feeling the haptic response slightly before your eyes and ears tell you your character hit the ground in the game.
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

Uh some Updates on the pics:

That was what I assumed :geek:
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Why would they not be allowed to post pictures of the Rift? Its already common knowledge that some devs are getting them in advance and everyone knows how it looks.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Considering that the only other tweet from someone who received a dev kit has also been removed from twitter, I assume there is a general gag order on the earliest recipients.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Yeah, i just don't get why, does not make any sense.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

A quite quick pondering about why not to post pictures/tweets, perhaps there is a gag to preserve developer relationships for Oculus?

I mean, they have probably been approached by 200 gazillion developers wanting a kit early, but they have only been able to send out kits to specifically chosen developers, then doesn't that sound like you'd rather keep it under a blanket just who those lucky/special/awesome/hot developers are?

Inter-developer envy/jealousy in this case is probably serious business! :D My take on it anyway.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

As if developers are going to refuse to add Rift support because they got bent out of shape over who got what and when.

At any rate, pre-production units have been going to several studios already, but I don't believe Mojang was one of them. Given that they pledged at the $10k tier, I think they deserve an early pair 8-)

I will be surprised if they don't at least have a beta version of Minecraft available around the time the kits start shipping out en masse. It's a perfect match really, considering the Rift's low resolution won't be a detriment due to MC's lo-fi graphics.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I remember a thread here were someone complained if some devs would get them earlier!
So that might be one reason to not show them.

Another might be marketing - Notch with his gazillion followers has a lot of PR power.
I guess they want to time it, so that games news site have something to write when needed.

just speculation ^^
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Perhaps not refuse support :P but developers are still human and have emotions, and all kinds of people (generalizing like mad) exist in all kinds of groups :) Again, just the reason I could think of that would make some sort of sense.

I guess it could also just be a normal NDA that comes under violation, perhaps there is some agreement all devkit-owners will have to sign? :O Like with you know, normal devkits/betas...
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

another one ... and now I go catch a train to visit Mojang ... in the night, when there is nobody ... but a Rift :D ... I'll post fotos tomorrow ... no wait :lol:
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Maybe i should try that, just a few hours by train : )
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

virror ... they have two (I have seen it in the picture) ... I was just taking one so they can update Minecraft with the other ... but we can share, I bring the crowbar, you get the locksmith tools. Tell me were you are an I can pick you up, I am a bit further away. :mrgreen:
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

2EyeGuy wrote:
geekmaster wrote:Falling not supported? They have it down cold on the Wii and Kinect. Are you sure about that? :D
They can fall as a consequence of jumping, or their upper body can fall to where their lower body is. In both those cases, Oculus' Haptic Floor™ technology will realistically simulate all the haptic sensations and interactions with the virtual ground surface in those cases, up to several Newtons of force, and even replicating your avatar's sensations of pain and agony. And due to the Rift's highly portable nature, you can choose from several different virtual surface characteristics that you want to simulate falling on to select the degree of realism and immersion, all the way from the Carpet setting for beginners to Sticks and Sharp Gravel for advanced users, (although the choice of available settings may depend on where you live). Those features are definitely supported by the Rift's Haptic Floor™ technology.

But you can't simply walk off a cliff in the game and simulate the falling sensation and sudden lack of floor, since the game can't turn off and on the Haptic Floor™ during gameplay, it's permanently active. However in order to simulate the fullest cliff falling experience that the hardware can provide, it's recommended to adjust your playing style, so that rather than simply walking off a high cliff, you could jump and dive off the high virtual cliffs instead. Doing so will haptically simulate your character's falling sensation temporarily, followed by the haptic sensation of painfully hitting the bottom and possibly breaking your bones. The predictive nature of the Haptic Floor™ will ensure a negative latency on the hitting the ground part, with you actually feeling the haptic response slightly before your eyes and ears tell you your character hit the ground in the game.
:lol: If you scatter a couple dozen extra periods through that post, I might think you were a sock puppet for KBK. (Sorry KBK!). :o
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bretspot »

They look awfully excited just to be starting at a blank screen. Those visors aren't even plugged in. I think they may need medicating before using this device for real.
Sorry but your black square is the wrong aspect ratio and resolution. :->
Congratulations! You're a backer of Among the Sleep by Krillbite Studio
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

Bretspot wrote: Sorry but your black square is the wrong aspect ratio and resolution. :->
:lol: :lol: :lol:
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

Dev from Born ready Games also tweeted suggesting one may or may not be in the post. As I am a slacker backer hoping Strike Suit Zero will be just about ready by the time mine arrives.
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

Bretspot wrote:

Sorry but your black square is the wrong aspect ratio and resolution. :->
So your telling me I wasted all that time applying the correct fish-eye mesh distortion for nothing.
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

We're probably a bit more hungry here for the dev kit than most for our Oculus exclusive game The Gallery .

That being said you can't blame Oculus one tiny bit for fast-tracking dev units to Notch. That's massive exposure and potentially the foundation for an absolutely gigantic consumer install base if Notch actually does what he says he wants to do with the hardware.

Just happy to see them out there in the wild in actual dev hands :)
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

That's swamp gas surrounding them, and light from the moons of Venus reflecting off their faces. Forget everything you've seen and heard..and go back to sleep.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

geekmaster wrote:
2EyeGuy wrote:

:lol: If you scatter a couple dozen extra periods through that post, I might think you were a sock puppet for KBK. (Sorry KBK!). :o
I don't see how.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

2EyeGuy wrote:
geekmaster wrote: :lol: If you scatter a couple dozen extra periods through that post, I might think you were a sock puppet for KBK. (Sorry KBK!). :o
I don't see how.
Well, KBK's posting style has sure been improving lately, so you may need to go back and compare your (humorous) post to one of KBK's older posts.

And thanks, KBK for adjusting your writing style to minimize the "WTF???" factor, so that we can better understand and appreciate what you have to say. ;)

Return to “Oculus VR”