Team Fortress 2 and the source engine

Vamplifire
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Team Fortress 2 and the source engine

Post by Vamplifire »

Hey all!

Long time reader, first time posting. I was just wondering if anyone knows if because valve has ported Team Fortress 2 to the rift if that means chances are they are going to port all source based games IE Left 4 Dead, Half-Life 2, Portal 1+2 etc? Wouldn’t it be easy as they have already programmed the source engine to work with the rift to convert all their games?
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Team Fortress 2 and the source engine

Post by STRZ »

It's possible, i hope that we get more information when they talk about VR at GDC 2013 :)
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

I don't want to put a dampener on things, but I would try not to get too excited at playing Team Fortress 2 on the Rift. Just because Valve have experimented with Team Fortress 2 VR doesn't actually mean they'll release that to us; it was an experiment, a learning exercise; they may be of the opinion that TF2 just isn't suited to VR and that the experience doesn't meet their high quality bar. If Valve were to provide "official VR support" for a game which for some reason was not a great VR experience, that could really tarnish reputation of VR and potentially do more harm than good.

I suspect this is what their talk at GDC will cover... but I think that getting an engine to render correctly for the Rift, and hooking in the headtracking, is actually the easy bit. The difficult bit is altering your game to be a pleasurable experience! We'll have to wait for the conference to find out more.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

TheHolyChicken wrote:I don't want to put a dampener on things, but I would try not to get too excited at playing Team Fortress 2 on the Rift. Just because Valve have experimented with Team Fortress 2 VR doesn't actually mean they'll release that to us; it was an experiment, a learning exercise; they may be of the opinion that TF2 just isn't suited to VR and that the experience doesn't meet their high quality bar. If Valve were to provide "official VR support" for a game which for some reason was not a great VR experience, that could really tarnish reputation of VR and potentially do more harm than good.

I suspect this is what their talk at GDC will cover... but I think that getting an engine to render correctly for the Rift, and hooking in the headtracking, is actually the easy bit. The difficult bit is altering your game to be a pleasurable experience! We'll have to wait for the conference to find out more.

Well i kinda hope you're wrong. Really want to see some Half-Life - We Dont Goto Ravenholm.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Vamplifire wrote:
TheHolyChicken wrote:I don't want to put a dampener on things, but I would try not to get too excited at playing Team Fortress 2 on the Rift. Just because Valve have experimented with Team Fortress 2 VR doesn't actually mean they'll release that to us; it was an experiment, a learning exercise; they may be of the opinion that TF2 just isn't suited to VR and that the experience doesn't meet their high quality bar. If Valve were to provide "official VR support" for a game which for some reason was not a great VR experience, that could really tarnish reputation of VR and potentially do more harm than good.

Well i kinda hope you're wrong. Really want to see some Half-Life - We Dont Goto Ravenholm.
You don't need to "hope I'm wrong" - all I've said is that we don't actually know what support Valve are going to provide for the Rift yet!

I actually think it's pretty likely they'll release a Rift-compatible TF2, and perhaps even conversions of some of their other games, given that they already seem so involved with AR/VR and Palmer etc. I'd love to play some Valve games with proper VR support. I'm just going to wait and see what support Valve announce instead of leaping to conclusions!
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

[Dream]Gabe Newell on GDC 2013: We've tried to adapt TF for VR.. (speaking about do's and dont's) ..it may impress you if you haven't played a game developed with VR in mind like we did recently. Ladies and gentlement, i'm proud to demonstrate the first impressions of Half Life 3, we hope to release it just in time when the Rift consumer version launches. Since august 2012 we're working very hard making it as good as possible for VR.. (again speaking about the challenges and do's and dont's) ..and we're very proud of it and sure that it will be the most immersive experience up to date in a video game..[/Dream]

:twisted:
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

STRZ wrote:[Dream]Gabe Newell on GDC 2013: We've tried to adapt TF for VR.. (speaking about do's and dont's) ..it may impress you if you haven't played a game developed with VR in mind like we did recently. Ladies and gentlement, i'm proud to demonstrate the first impressions of Half Life 3, we hope to release it just in time when the Rift consumer version launches. Since august 2012 we're working very hard making it as good as possible for VR.. (again speaking about the challenges and do's and dont's) ..and we're very proud of it and sure that it will be the most immersive experience up to date in a video game..[/Dream]

That's the best you got? Why not Valve bringing out a game designed expressly for VR? A Rift exclusive? :D
I can't wait for the future. Valve has been quiet for a long time....
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

More than half my posts are from Twitter, but it seems to be the best way to get any words on Oculus press and goings on.

https://twitter.com/dmmfix/status/301473534117543937

Looks like Valve is still showing off the Rift with TF2 despite the issues they're discussing at GDC, and this lucky guy got a glimpse.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

STRZ wrote:[Dream]Gabe Newell on GDC 2013: We've tried to adapt TF for VR.. (speaking about do's and dont's) ..it may impress you if you haven't played a game developed with VR in mind like we did recently. Ladies and gentlement, i'm proud to demonstrate the first impressions of Half Life 3, we hope to release it just in time when the Rift consumer version launches. Since august 2012 we're working very hard making it as good as possible for VR.. (again speaking about the challenges and do's and dont's) ..and we're very proud of it and sure that it will be the most immersive experience up to date in a video game..[/Dream]

More like Half-Life 3 will be a SteamBox exclusive.......and bundled with all SteamBoxes. The ultimate killer app.
totallymichael
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by totallymichael »

I would love to see TF2 with the Oculus Rift. At the same time, the game is so twitchy the thought of moving my head back and forth as fast as I can aim with the mouse gives me a neck cramp just thinking about it. Imagine playing as the Scout. You'd have to do neck workouts before strapping in.
hughJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by hughJ »

totallymichael wrote:I would love to see TF2 with the Oculus Rift. At the same time, the game is so twitchy the thought of moving my head back and forth as fast as I can aim with the mouse gives me a neck cramp just thinking about it. Imagine playing as the Scout. You'd have to do neck workouts before strapping in.
Graduating from Nintendo-thumb, to mouse/keyboard carpal tunnel, to Rift-neck.
Delryn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Delryn »

We all have questions about how controls will work with the Rift, but I'm confident a balance will be found. I currently support the tank control scheme, where the head moves freely, and the mouse controls the torso and gun.

Valve did do VR research, and I hope that if the Rift proves to be successful then Valve would incorporate the Rift into the Source Engine. It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.
GPU: NVidia GTX 680|CPU: Core i5-2400|RAM: 16gig|SSD: 120GB|HDD: 1.25TB|Liquid Cooled CPU and GPU
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

totallymichael wrote:I would love to see TF2 with the Oculus Rift. At the same time, the game is so twitchy the thought of moving my head back and forth as fast as I can aim with the mouse gives me a neck cramp just thinking about it. Imagine playing as the Scout. You'd have to do neck workouts before strapping in.
It won't be that bad, what they have said so far about the TF2 VR conversion implies that the weapon aiming is detached from the head tracking so it's not head aiming like with D3:BFG. Of course you still have to turn your head untill the target is in view to point your weapon at them but you won't be twiching your head like you twitch a mouse when it controls both the view and the aim.
jis
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jis »

That would be a perfect online-competitive game for it. It's a slow-paced game where doing random things is acceptable. Also both the character design and the map design are charismatic as hell.
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

jis wrote:That would be a perfect online-competitive game for it. It's a slow-paced game where doing random things is acceptable. Also both the character design and the map design are charismatic as hell.
TF2 is a slow-paced game? o.o
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

spire8989 wrote:
jis wrote:That would be a perfect online-competitive game for it. It's a slow-paced game where doing random things is acceptable. Also both the character design and the map design are charismatic as hell.
TF2 is a slow-paced game? o.o
I gather he was being sarcastic
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
drifter

Post by drifter »

twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

You shouldn't play with my emotions like that :)
Owen
Cross Eyed!

Post by Owen »

I expect they chose TF2 simply because it would seem to be their most challenging title to make work in VR. It makes a good test case for what works and what does not, unlike say HL2 where there probably would not be many changes needed.

And maybe Dota 2 would be too challenging.

Return to “Oculus VR”