What are your thoughts on consumers buying the dev kit?

Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

What are your thoughts on consumers buying the dev kit?

Post by Marulu »

After seeing many consumers ordering the dev kit because of Minecraft and Team Fortress 2 (some even only order it because of the hat, they are crazy.) support I am wondering what other devs think about them not waiting for the consumer version.

I personally think they should wait for the consumer version, because they probably are going to be disappointed by the short comings of the dev kit, which could possibly hurt the Rift in the long run.
You probably are wondering why I think this could possibly hurt the sales of the consumer version.
Those which were unaware of the shortcoming of the dev kit, are most likely going to not buy the consumer version and are going to create rant videos about it.
Many "main stream" consumers are still remembering how bad VR used to be in the 90s and could watch these video, which could possibly lead them to believe the hype surrounding the Rift is baseless.

You might think no consumer would be dumb enough to expect a finished product, then watch these videos of a consumer ranting about the Rift delivering system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HziaO41URW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZY2DKZprw0
Why was he expecting the Rift to arrive some time in the last six months?
Because he is a uninformed consumer and because he expected to be treated like a consumer. (He also is kinda crazy^^)

Please keep in mind that everything I stated above is the worst possible scenario. (Which most likely is not going to take place.)
I still think spreading knowledge about the Rift is something very important and should not stop.

On what side of this argument are you on, should consumers order it now, or wait like they are supposed to?

EDIT: I am totally fine with them ordering if they know 100% what they are getting them self into.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: What are your thoughts on consumers buying the dev kit?

Post by MrGreen »

Marulu wrote:(He also is kinda crazy^^)
Kinda? :lol:

He's batshit crazy and that's all there is to it.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

MrGreen wrote:
Marulu wrote:(He also is kinda crazy^^)
Kinda? :lol:

He's batshit crazy and that's all there is to it.
The worst thing is there are more of his kind out there.

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I give that guy a thumbs up. Then I bring my thumb closer to his face. Then I start pushing my thumb into his eye socket.

Okay?
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by IGameArt »

Kinda crazy is a bit of an understatement. What does the rift have to do with corporate welfare and flouride in our water? lolz I take everything this man says as a worrying fact that we have to vote along side people just like him.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

IGameArt wrote:What does the rift have to do with corporate welfare and flouride in our water?
:lol: If you would ask him he would most likely say something like: "It´s all part of Bigfoot´s grand plan to eradicate the human race." :lol:

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Probably just a guy who thinks he is a comic genius. I would still hurt his eyeball.
Riftoholic

Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Namielus wrote:I would still hurt his eyeball.
You plan on doing this so he can´t experience VR, even though he ordered a dev kit, don´t you?

3devious
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3devious »

I would love to see a video of this guy and Francis in a throwdown. My money is on Francis. In fact, I'm sending him this link!
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

No that was not the intention, but now that you mention in..
Once we have positional tracking people with one eye will still experience great depth effect, and I really do not
want this guy to enjoy much of anything.

Two thumbs up it is then.
Riftoholic

3devious
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3devious »

Error 37!?
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

For all the people unaware what Error 37 means, it is a meme and it´s definition is:
" The complete and utter despair that fills your soul right as the moment of pure bliss is about to be reached but then fails."
This is the error which everyone got on the Diablo 3 launch.

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

What do you guys say about me making this guy one of the hecklers in my cinema?

I make a 3dmodel of his face, and if you enable him you have to listen to his constant rift-ranting while trying to watch your movie.
Riftoholic

Tacklebait
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tacklebait »

Being a consumer, I say let us buy them to our hearts content. Most articles I've read about the oculus rift has touched on its "downfalls" and emphasized that it is a development kit and the consumer version will be much more polished and advanced in all the categories it falls behind in. Which seems to be the resolution of the screen and motion blur for the most part.

As long as it is advertised as a development kit, I think for the most part you will get more "hype" then bad reviews. Rift Granny for example got tons of hits on youtube and she was very pumped and had only amazing things to say about the rift.

Managing expectations is a chore in itself and I think Oculus Rift has given the proper messages. If a consumer blows his/her money on something they didn't research and are unsatisfied, well that is their problem.

I am a nerd at heart and love everything about the rift and these forums, so I may be in to deep to realize the actual negative repercussions that making the rift available to consumers may have.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Namielus wrote:What do you guys say about me making this guy one of the hecklers in my cinema?

I make a 3dmodel of his face, and if you enable him you have to listen to his constant rift-ranting while trying to watch your movie.
Please do this, it would be hilarious.

KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Loosers and their associated brethren are required to exist so the one end of a scale of differentiation can exist. They anchor it, with their ignorant but wild abandon.

Loosers must exist, so that differential can be made, or at least inferred.

Celebrate that the world has loosers.

Otherwise we'd all be the same, marching up and down a square - in identical uniforms. Now THAT would suck.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I am all for consumers buying the Rift ... the gamer in me is perfectly happy with the toy he got. Just being able to play Half Life 2 is more than enough. :)
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

KBK wrote:Loosers and their associated brethren are required to exist so the one end of a scale of differentiation can exist. They anchor it, with their ignorant but wild abandon.

Otherwise we'd all be the same, marching up and down a square - in identical uniforms. Now THAT would suck.
No. Nor do I celebrate when a piece of electronics has a 63% failure rate.

It does nothing to bolster my appreciation of a 2% failure rate.

There is a difference between quality and variety.

Another example, having dog excrement on part of my lawn (or my neighbors for that matter) does nothing to bolster my enjoyment of the non-excrement laden portions.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

For what it's worth: the "consumer" reactions and impressions are typically the most fun to hear. Reviewers, engineers, and developer reactions seem almost universally dry in comparison.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Is that an actual neckbeard?
strangedays
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by strangedays »

KBK wrote:Loosers and their associated brethren are required to exist so the one end of a scale of differentiation can exist. They anchor it, with their ignorant but wild abandon.

Yes. They are the opposite of tighters and I hate them for it.
hughJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by hughJ »

Someone needs to find his e-mail account and spoof an Oculus Update e-mail to him saying that a version2 devkit is now up for pre-sale, with a tentative delivery date of 2014, and that all unshipped, backlogged orders for version1 are now no longer going to be filled.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

This guy has been discussed on another thread and I think the conclusion is he's either on something or is 'a tomato short of a salad', so I wouldn't say he's a typical 'consumer'.

I imagine this video is right up there with his UFO and 9/11 conspiracy video collection.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

KBK wrote:Loosers must exist, so that differential can be made, or at least inferred.

So you're saying... in order to not have to all wear identical uniforms, we should have some that are looser and some that are tighter?
Your logic is actually starting to make sense.
yoshithedog
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yoshithedog »

On the topic...
I think that the average consumer who will buy OR devkit will be even more blown away by it than we will, because they don't have expectations set as high.
Also, I don't think that people were like "Phew, it's only black-and-white and 2D", when they saw a movie for the first time. Instead, they ran for an exit when a (in-movie) train was coming at them.
Same story now. Don't panic ppl.
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

Speaking as a consumer who ordered a rift, you need to realize what we provide. We are your captive audience that you can shovel whatever new demo you've come up with because we have little else to play. We can provide the voice of the public feedback you need to make your project successful. I did my research and I know what I'm walking into. I'm just willing to put up with the deficits now so that I can get in on the ground floor of what I hope is the future of my favorite hobby.
mickman

Post by mickman »

How many times does he say " FUCKN " in that video ?

As for consumers purchasing the Rift... right now... as far as Mr Luckey is concerned.... we're all consumers.

The original "Dev Kit " notion probably got scrapped the minute Oculus Rift orders went through the roof...

Oculus Rift have played a few bad cards .... but hey they also got screwed over by Unity + Carmac's Doom 3 BFG...
+ where the heck is Hawken ?

Back to the Rift Raver... you are a Fuckn Legend Dude !! Fuckn Fukity fuk yeah ......
The guy in the above video has some valid points... (I think) its just fucn hard to understand where the fuk he's coming from ??

So how many times does our Rift Raver repeat ' FUCKN ' ??
note: he starts out really well.. then sort of fries himself in random volleys of of F this F that ... etc...

It's sort of refreshing to see & hear a little Cyber PUNK ethic roll into this otherwise relatively sterile forum.... nice to see..
just hope there's not to many kiddies reading this.

I for one totally relate to the babbling... we've been waiting well over 20 Fuckn years for some decent VR to finally arrive.
A lot of the members on this forum remember the day Space Invaders landed at the corner store... We resonate every fukn word emitted from "Ready Player One "
We're ready all right.. we're chomping at the bit .. waiting for this experience... & I bet once i try the Rift for the first time... I'll probably think...
Oh Man... this sux ..
I waited 20+ years for this WTF !!
& then I sure hope.. I truly hope I will be eating those words a year from now....

enough said...
Someone hit
PAUSE :lol:
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

Ericshelpdesk wrote:Speaking as a consumer who ordered a rift, you need to realize what we provide. We are your captive audience that you can shovel whatever new demo you've come up with because we have little else to play. We can provide the voice of the public feedback you need to make your project successful. I did my research and I know what I'm walking into. I'm just willing to put up with the deficits now so that I can get in on the ground floor of what I hope is the future of my favorite hobby.
couldn't have said it better myself.
LNQ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LNQ »

To be honest my thoughts are that no one should have a say in judging how appropriate it is for this or that person to buy a dev kit. Recommendations are always welcome, but that's it.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

V8Griff wrote:This guy has been discussed on another thread and I think the conclusion is he's either on something or is 'a tomato short of a salad', so I wouldn't say he's a typical 'consumer'.

I imagine this video is right up there with his UFO and 9/11 conspiracy video collection.

hey!.........
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

2EyeGuy wrote:
KBK wrote:Loosers must exist, so that differential can be made, or at least inferred.

So you're saying... in order to not have to all wear identical uniforms, we should have some that are looser and some that are tighter?
Your logic is actually starting to make sense.

oh oh!

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

Quick, get that man some air.

Perhaps I should have written Loozer, not looser.... or loser. I mean, only one letter off. meening-shmeenging. bah.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Edit: Sorry, jumped ahead and missed the correction above.

Now I'm the looser!

Original post:

Loser.

A loser is someone who is/was losing.

Looser means less tight.

There is a delicious irony when somebody spells "loser" wrong during an argument so I usually let it slide but I think I agree with you guys. So, it's "loser".
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

mrklaw wrote:
Ericshelpdesk wrote:Speaking as a consumer who ordered a rift, you need to realize what we provide. We are your captive audience that you can shovel whatever new demo you've come up with because we have little else to play. We can provide the voice of the public feedback you need to make your project successful. I did my research and I know what I'm walking into. I'm just willing to put up with the deficits now so that I can get in on the ground floor of what I hope is the future of my favorite hobby.
couldn't have said it better myself.
Many small developers like myself are just waiting for the enthusiast/consumer crowd to get big enough so that we can finance development through them. At that point we can switch to really focusing on VR as the main design aspect of our games. I am happy about every non-developer that orders a Rift :)
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

Sometimes there is a very fine line between being a consumer and being a developer. I purchased the Rift as a consumer. I didn't really plan on developing for it initially. I am not a game developer by trade [ATM]. Only while waiting for my Rift to arrive did I decide to learn UDK and develop a roller coaster demo. I think that demo has had a pretty positive effect on the Rift ecosystem.

So how do you define who is a dev? Where do you draw the line?
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzGPvQNX8Yk
usb247
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by usb247 »

all I know is I can't wait til that guy gets his rift.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

1. Don't think that this guy represents the average Rift consumer. For every 1 consumer that makes a complaint on this forum, there is probably 1000 satisfied customers with no complaints that do not speak up (and another handful that do speak up in Oculus' defense).

2. Oculus is benefiting from consumer purchases. They spent a lot of money, time, and effort on getting a model designed and a production line up and running. I assure you they welcome more sales.

3. Discouraging consumer sales is a defense mechanism designed to lower expectations which in turn increases impact on the end user. Rightfully so since this is still a product in its infancy. It also has the added effect of scaring away consumers who are on the fence and ripe for disappointment. We do not need them right now. They will ultimately be more satisfied with the consumer model.

4. Oculus can now assume that anybody who does not heed the warning is either a developer or a serious enthusiast. A few casuals may slip through the cracks but the positive press and word of mouth gained by selling to consumers far outweighs the negativity being produced by guys like this. Oculus will need that word of mouth come consumer release.

Those are my thoughts.
QUAKE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by QUAKE »

I see it in a positive light.

It gives exposure to the product, and provides developers with a substantial group of beta testers.

How are you going to release a game that is made for hardware no one can test?
A developer getting a kit isn't going to solve the issue of not having 5 to 100 testers to provide feedback.

Secondly, every shortcoming of the rift could be blamed on 'it's just the devkit, not the consumer version' that silences any possible criticism.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

I think every consumer buying this thing will show it to at least 20 people, and most will be impressed.

So if 20.000 consumers buys the Rift, 400.000 will try it and tell about it.

That very efficient marketing. Worth every penny. Soon, every person on this planet will know about the Rift and Oculus VR didn't spend anything on advertizing.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Nexious
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nexious »

The guy kinda reminds me of the youtuber named "TheAmazingAthiest". So full of anger and hate.

Return to “Oculus VR”