Unity & Rift general thread

virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Unity & Rift general thread

Post by virror »

mickman wrote:DFP: I really appreciate your feedback.

I'll take a look into setting up my character over the next few days... Once I have something half decent I'll post a short video... it's always fun to see how other developers are progressing. I feel a really good addition would be a video tutorial explaining each task from Maya > Unity > Mecanim > Razer & finally into the Rift

The main thing I'm worried about is I.K arms.. But after watching the Mecanim I.K sample scene I sort of get it now.. I could understand arm rotation/elbow bending in Unity with two separate primitive objects working a simple I.K arm but one object that's skinned and reacts to weighted vertices was worrying me. But hey, it all sounds as though mecanim was built for precisely this sort of dynamic motion, so time to give it a whirl :)

I think it best I create simplified a pre-vis run..... a blocked out character to begin with.. I'll create a primitive character in Maya, rig & skin it. Then pull into Unity, add mecanim then map the Hydra .... any tips on mapping Hydra ? SImply stating "add mecanim" is an understatement as I know it'll be an effort.
I'll start up a thread at Sixense too ... might get some interest in the development cycle.

What I think would b neat is the ability to flick between hand control and foot control.. so for example you look down at your feet... you can wave your hands about etc.. and then hit a "transfer motion " button on the hydra & you transfer all motion to the legs, kicking, dancing etc... that would be fun

Hhhhmm.. gets me thinking about my dream skeletal controller a.k.a - Hydra hand controllers + foot sensors

quit dreaming and start developing.... its so easy to waste the day-dreaming .......

Time to Get Real & CREATE
:geek:
Very curious about this as well, please share what you find integrating the Hydra with Mecanim : )
I would recommend just grabbing the default character from the Mecanim tutorial package as it is rigged and ready for animation already.

Return to “Oculus VR”