Unity & Rift general thread

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Unity & Rift general thread

Post by GeraldT »

GeraldT wrote: But LICHT is not a VR title - I will try to add Rift support to it, but I have doubt that it will be a compelling VR experience.
@Okta - that is not my music, so I can't tell you what was used. sorry
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
drifter
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by drifter »

A bit sad for the VR cause. The indie version, even with all its limitations, could have a fair impact on the VR R&D (I think of all these non-dev rifters who have ideas and who could have taken the plunge more easily with Unity).
Btw we are not sure if Unity 3.5 will work.
The problem with this "wrapper" is it adds some latency and we don't know how much...
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

The main problem with Free is almost certainly the inability to use Image Effects, which probably means no warping.

If you are just experimenting and one of the 3rd party drivers supports adding a warp effect on the fly while actually running your game and you can write a c# wrapper lib for the SDK you might be able to get away with just using Free.

If you're developing a title for sale and you really can't afford Unity Pro you might just have to use UDK instead (or something else).
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

its too bad they decided to wait until the last minute to let people know (and you have to read the entire article they listed today to really see it ) that Unity Pro is required to work with the Rift with Unity. that honestly to me seems like something they would have known from the get go as im sure the founder of Unity could have told them "well yes Unity Pro is required to use the SDK" considering this may have been a big selling point for many indy devs and many cant afford the 1,500 bucks (like me maybe just doing it for non profit as a hobby) i think they should consider offering refunds for those orders not locked down yet. this is bigger then the issue with Doom 3, its not a deal breaker for me. but the "free four months of Unity Pro" is nice but im sure most people are going to be using the Rift longer then just four months and considering the fact that some people like me may not even GET the rift til four months......

I am sorry i cant entirely agree with that last minute information.
Owen
Cross Eyed!

Post by Owen »

Their trials are always from when you first run the editor, and it explicitly asks if you want to start the trial.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Cross-posting this here because it's highly relevant and we need to get everyone aware of the facts ASAP.

Don't be fooled by the 4-month Unity Pro trial - this announcement is the death knell of indie VR development in Unity. (EDIT: Our definitions of "indie" probably differ; feel free to substitute "hobbyist" if it makes more sense to you.)

Don't misunderstand me, I was actually super-impressed with what I was able to accomplish in Unity in a single day's time, it's a very capable and approachable engine. But consider these various facts:

Unity Pro is required for Rift development.

"$1500 isn't that much, just build a game with this 4-month trial and use the profits to buy a license," you say? You really should have your legal team look at Unity's FAQ a little closer, Moneybags:
Can we sell games and make money with the free version of Unity? wrote:Please also be aware that the feature set of the free version is not intended for the production of professional games and interactive content. Lastly, games made with our Pro trial licenses may not be distributed nor used for commercial purposes.
If "Surely someone will put something up on the Asset Store!" is your counter-argument, please direct me to the place where I can download a package to enable Unity Indie support of something as commonplace as the humble Wiimote. UniWii? I said in Unity Indie. OSCuMote - Wiimote support for the free version? It's Mac only, but nice try. Hack a way around all this in some ridiculous fashion like sending commands through a Flash object and back into Unity or something? Pu-leeze. "Just use GlovePIE"? Haha, you're cute, you should give up game development for a career in stand-up comedy. :lol:

As a perpetually broke hacker I've always hated Unity's "our engine is free no it isn't" approach to licensing, and upon seeing this news I was extremely glad I've been watching UDK tutorials instead of Unity tutorials. Epic hasn't made any formal announcements, but consider the relative selling points of UDK EDIT: over here in the full post I made, because drifter's right that this isn't a place for UDK evangelism.

Sorry, Unity believers! I still think it's a very strong engine and I look forward to seeing what you guys with Pro licenses cook up for it, but the rest of us just getting started in game design need to pursue other approaches. Good luck!
Last edited by nateight on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
drifter

Post by drifter »

@nateight
I think people here are already aware and no, UDK is not "better" than Unity for everyone, it depends of the needs, among other things...
Also there is already a Unity vs USK thread here to discuss about that.
Stay on topic, please, people.
German

Post by German »

nateight wrote: Don't be fooled by the 4-month Unity Pro trial - this announcement is the death knell of indie VR development in Unity. (EDIT: Our definitions of "indie" probably differ; feel free to substitute "hobbyist" if it makes more sense to you.)
From a technical standpoint, UDK is one of the best game engines at any price, and "better" than Unity in several very significant ways (though the points about being unhappily tied to UnrealScript and the usability/workflow hurdles that come with all this power are well taken - for something like Ludum Dare, Unity Indie is indeed a godsend, just don't try to make a VR game with it ).
And I'd like to temper this with an excellent post by krylonshadow:
krylonshadow wrote:55604 is the magic number.

If you develop your game in UDK and make $55,604 from it, you will have to pay $1500 in licensing fees: $99 for the UDK license and then the 25% royalty fee for every dollar over $50,000.

This doesn't just include game sales:
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitFAQ.html wrote:The 25% royalty is calculated on the revenue the UDK licensee receives by commercializing their UDK application. It will be defined in the Commercial Amendment to the EULA to "includes, but is not limited to, revenue earned from: sales, advertisements, sponsorships, endorsements, subscription fees, microtransactions, in-game item or service sales, rentals, pay-to-play, services you sell or are remunerated for in connection with the use of your application and amounts a third party pays You to develop or use the application."
Even Kickstarter funds are subject to this royalty fee:
http://www.unrealengine.com/udk/licensing/licensing-faqs/ wrote:Yes, crowd funding is perfectly acceptable with UDK games; however, a $99 commercial UDK license is required and all revenue earned through the crowd funding is subject to the standard UDK royalty.
Here's the problem, from that 55604th dollar and beyond you will still always have to pay that 25% royalty fee. One in every four dollars will be ripped out of your pocket.

However, if you develop your game in Unity and make $55,604, you will also have to pay $1500 in licensing fees, but only upfront for Unity Pro. Every single dollar you make is all yours.
http://unity3d.com/unity/faq wrote:Unity does not charge on a per title basis and you do not pay royalties or pay revenue share, even for games and applications made with the free version.
Therefore, if you're working on a commercial project and you think you're capable of making more than $55,604, purely from a monetary standpoint, Unity is the better choice.

I'm not gonna argue which engine is functionally better than the other. I'm talking money. We all like money. Unfortunately, some people just can't afford to pay $1500 upfront. Well here's a concept:
Use your 4 month trial to build something shiny. Throw it on Kickstarter, and if it's good, you'll get your damn $1500 and probably much more...you greedy "indie" developers, you can have my money, take it! Take it!!

It comes down to whether or not you want to--and actually believe you can--make money off of your game. Different business models cater to different people. UDK says hey I love everyone, go make whatever you want for free, whether it's a success or a failure...but if it's a wild success, I'm gonna haunt you forever and claim 25% of your profits. Unity says hey I don't know whether you're gonna be successful or not so how about you give me a decent check so I can pay my own bills, and if you do end up doing really well, keep it, it's all yours. Which one you choose is based on your interest and confidence in commercial success.
drifter

Post by drifter »

Again, redundant and off-topic :(
German

Post by German »

drifter wrote:Again, redundant and off-topic :(
Where were you 60 odd posts ago when GeraldT and LEAP were the center of attention for this topic and had *nothing* to do with Unity past the initial one about it running on Unity? And I disagree either post is off topic. It's a "general" thread and both posts specifically address or contrast Unity.
drifter

Post by drifter »

German wrote:
drifter wrote:Again, redundant and off-topic :(
Where were you 60 odd posts ago when GeraldT and LEAP were the center of attention for this topic and had *nothing* to do with Unity past the initial one about it running on Unity? And I disagree either post is off topic. It's a "general" thread and both posts specifically address or contrast Unity.
Chilax, I just don't want another UDK vs Unity war, there is already a thread for that.
(But yeah you're right, at some point I should have asked to GeraldT to create a thread for his game).
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

Hey guys, I'm rendering 18 cameras at the same time (for 180° FOV with cylindrical projection)

without significant (I think) framerate drop. What's up with that? I thought that even two cameras will significantly reduce framerate.
This member owns things.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Randomoneh wrote:Hey guys, I'm rendering 18 cameras at the same time (for 180° FOV with cylindrical projection)

without significant (I think) framerate drop. What's up with that? I thought that even two cameras will significantly reduce framerate.
that is a pretty lightweight scene, so that is not comparable.
German

Post by German »

Randomoneh wrote:Hey guys, I'm rendering 18 cameras at the same time (for 180° FOV with cylindrical projection) without significant (I think) framerate drop. What's up with that? I thought that even two cameras will significantly reduce framerate.
Scene simplicity is definitely part of it. Another part of it is that your cameras all share a pretty common set of polygons so there's not a lot of cache invalidation going on. Dedicated video cards are really fast nowadays too so that always helps. :)

I'd love to see more info on how you did this.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@Randomoneh: Interesting work. What is the end goal for this?
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I know that scene, it is from a well know project - but I can't remember what it was.
DaveRuddell
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveRuddell »

Okay guys, here's a quick and dirty package to get your Unity games working in your DIYRift kits. There are limitations if you don't have Unity Pro, like having to run cybereality's Vireio driver instead of the shader. The stereo camera script will actually work with the DIY Rift kits and Unity Free, but there is noticeable warping on the edges (hence the need for an external driver like Vireio).

Disclaimer: I cannot take full credit for all of this work, as it was a lot of cannibalizing from different projects and shaders other people in the community wrote, but I did put all the pieces together in a slim, easy-to-use package that works and is free to download and use.

VRDK: DIY Rift Camera Kit for Unity3d v1.0

Please help me refine this and give me feedback on problems and issues you find.
Future: VRCade | Goal: VRDK | Company: Mind-Games Intermedia
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Wow!
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

i hope they clarifiy an exception to the "trial" limit of not being able to share what you create and allow users of the 4 month extended trial to be able to share their creations with others so long as they do it for free :-).
Last edited by Evenios on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveRuddell
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveRuddell »

Evenios wrote:Ok now ill try to shut up about my previous statements so....on a non anti-social side I think it would be cool if a few people made a few simple 3d demos like the Italian house thingy .

I think things like that would be fun lots of assets on the asset store and just making simple 3d demos doesnt take much coding, animation, UI work, or AI worrying about. My thoughts are some fantasy indoor, ourdoor scene a realistic home and other things?

I hope someone finds a work around to make Unity Free work with the Rift i have a feeling someone will and forwhatever reason WHY (i said too much already so wont get into my thoughts here) Unity and Oculus coudnt figure out a way to get Free to work with The Rift......since we get the basic SDK and will have many documentations on how to make games work in general for the Rift i imagine....it may not be too hard for someone to come out with a work around even if it was a non free plugin at the asset store (honestly anyone who DID come up wth such a work around i bet would make lots of money on that plugin)

It would be nice if somehow they can clarifiy or make an exception for the 4 month trial so that we can release what we made using that.......for the Rift..perhaps as long as its not for profit?

So the main issue wih getting Unity Free working with the Rift is that Unity Free does not have built-in support for post-image processing via a shader. This is the way you create the barrel-warp effect to compensate for the lens distortion in both shader I put together and I'm assuming the Rift shader as well. In order for Unity to make this work for the Rift, they would have to give away a powerful Pro feature for free. I think the work-around is to use the stereo-camera and then pipe it through an external driver like Vireio. I might not be an optimum solution, but if it allows people to develop for Unity without the price-tag, it's not a terrible compromise.

The only other problem is immediate and direct access to the USB HID driver that runs the head-tracking IMU. If they have a native driver for this, then it also requires Unity Pro to load the native library. If this is the case, I would be happy to write a small app that can run external to Unity and pull info from the IMU and send the data over an IPC socket to Unity, which may introduce a small amount of latency. My hope, however, is that they've including such capability in the Rift SDK. If not, I'll make it a priority for the VRDK. I have a similar request on the Leap developer forums to use a Leap with Unity Free.

As far as the visual component, I will test Unity Free with my DIY Rift and Vireo to confirm this is an option.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

DaveRuddell wrote:I might not be an optimum solution, but if it allows people to develop for Unity without the price-tag, it's not a terrible compromise.
Great work, DaveRuddell! This is what I get for underestimating the MTBS3D community! (Now where's my idiot-proof Wiimote package? :lol:) I do still have some concerns about this kind of approach - cybereality has noted that Vireo itself (awesome as it is) takes some necessary but unfortunate steps that native support will sidestep, adds a small amount of additional latency, etc., and I worry that piling one hack upon another will impact the overall latency in a way that makes projects relying upon them compare unfavorably to those able to pay Unity's piper. As a Rift hobbyist working in Unity, being able to publish something compromised is considerably preferable to not being able to publish anything at all, of course, but it may still leave those of us with commercial aspirations and zero seed capital out in the cold (or running into UDK's arms, which is probably not ideal for tiny operations). I strongly encourage all you mad geniuses with DIY Rifts to test DaveRuddell's concept out and report back on how it "feels" relative to whatever the current "best" system is - perhaps a few cross-posts are in order to round up some testers?

I'm hopeful that you've hit upon a good-enough solution here, and I look forward to seeing what the expert verdict on your approach will be. Ultimately, though, I still think it's worth leaning on Unity to relax their licensing terms, because when I look at the "Pro" feature set I only see a line that has been arbitrarily drawn for business reasons, not technical nor cost-limiting ones. Even if all they were willing to do was allow content produced under a "Pro trial" license to be released noncommercially with a watermark (this is already their apparent approach to "Pro Student" licenses), virtually everyone would be mollified and Unity would wind up with a great many additional sales as small developers warmed to their engine. Unity really does have the potential to be the engine that launches the VR revolution, it's merely their pigheaded business stance standing in our way and theirs. Here's hoping your demonstration of what's possible makes it unnecessary. :D
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

@DaveRuddell

Thank you, that is awesome!

@nateight - for hobbyist projects it is still an option to ask those with Pro to compile. this package should be enough to develop
and those with commercial ambitions need to live with the fact that others have commercial ambitions too ;)
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

GeraldT wrote:@nateight - for hobbyist projects it is still an option to ask those with Pro to compile. this package should be enough to develop and those with commercial ambitions need to live with the fact that others have commercial ambitions too ;)
You're not wrong, I just think "Unity Pro is pretty cheap and lots of professional software is expensive so stop complaining" is a callous and counterproductive stance, particularly because Unity's two direct competitors (UDK and Cryengine) have much more progressive pricing options and are essentially "free" for indie use. But you bring up a good point I must have missed in the ongoing discussions and hadn't considered - if someone using a Pro trial wrote a compelling demo, the code would presumably be theirs to release even though Unity's licensing structure seems to prohibit a release of the working demo itself. Depending on the terms this coder released the code under, a person with a full Pro license may not even need to ask permission to compile and release the demo, and you Unity guys are definitely helpful and generous enough to facilitate such a release if some coder wound up in this situation. GeraldT, are you speaking from experience here, or just speculating? You certainly appear to be entirely correct according to the wording of Unity's FAQ, but I have not parsed the full terms and conditions. Has anyone with a Pro license compiled someone else's "Pro trial" or Unity Indie code and released it as a "Pro" project with Unity's explicit blessing?

I still think it's dumb we need to jump through these sorts of hoops, but as long as the world is allowed to eventually see all the wacky stuff hobbyists develop, I'll be happy. :)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

nateight wrote:Has anyone with a Pro license compiled someone else's "Pro trial" or Unity Indie code and released it as a "Pro" project with Unity's explicit blessing?

I still think it's dumb we need to jump through these sorts of hoops, but as long as the world is allowed to eventually see all the wacky stuff hobbyists develop, I'll be happy. :)
It works, yes - but I have never heard of Unity's explicit blessing (and don't expect it ^^).

Those hoops are there for a reason, they want to sell you a Pro license so they can keep developing the engine, pay their staff and not close doors. And you might think the UDK license model is better, but many don't. I certainly don't like the idea behind UDK's license model for my projects.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

DaveRuddell wrote:
The only other problem is immediate and direct access to the USB HID driver that runs the head-tracking IMU. If they have a native driver for this, then it also requires Unity Pro to load the native library. If this is the case, I would be happy to write a small app that can run external to Unity and pull info from the IMU and send the data over an IPC socket to Unity, which may introduce a small amount of latency. My hope, however, is that they've including such capability in the Rift SDK. If not, I'll make it a priority for the VRDK. I have a similar request on the Leap developer forums to use a Leap with Unity Free.
Since Oculus will provide a general SDK, maybe it will be as simple as just wrapping this and it will work, but its hard to tell without knowing how the SDk looks.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

GeraldT wrote:
Those hoops are there for a reason, they want to sell you a Pro license so they can keep developing the engine, pay their staff and not close doors.

Don't they get a cut from the sales of the asset store? If so, it would be a better idea to draw as much people to the platform as possible, or not? I think there's another reason for the price, probably licensing costs Unity has to pay to others to make some features possible.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

DaveRuddell wrote:So the main issue wih getting Unity Free working with the Rift is that Unity Free does not have built-in support for post-image processing via a shader. This is the way you create the barrel-warp effect to compensate for the lens distortion in both shader I put together and I'm assuming the Rift shader as well. In order for Unity to make this work for the Rift, they would have to give away a powerful Pro feature for free. I think the work-around is to use the stereo-camera and then pipe it through an external driver like Vireio. I might not be an optimum solution, but if it allows people to develop for Unity without the price-tag, it's not a terrible compromise.
Works great. Here is a beta warp injector that works with your camera and the free version of Unity. It still has some legacy code from Vireio that waists resources, but I will fix that and upload the source code tomorrow. Make sure to uncheck "Use Barrel Warp Shader" in the DIYRift Camera.
UnityRiftWarp_v0_1a.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Awesome that it works standalone, great job!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

STRZ wrote:
GeraldT wrote:
Those hoops are there for a reason, they want to sell you a Pro license so they can keep developing the engine, pay their staff and not close doors.

Don't they get a cut from the sales of the asset store? If so, it would be a better idea to draw as much people to the platform as possible, or not? I think there's another reason for the price, probably licensing costs Unity has to pay to others to make some features possible.
It's a mixed calculation, and to make up for 1500$ for the Pro license you would need to sell 5000$ of assets. So no - that would not be a better idea. Because people that buy that many assets usually buy more than one Pro license (more seats etc.), so the mixed calculation makes them enough money, not one area alone.
Having to pay licensing fees themselves is also quite likely I agree.
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

So I just started using Unity but clearly you can see my game features the latest in 3D pictures and computer game control switches.

The fun cannot be halted.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cYg9gmV8TI[/youtube]
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

tmek: Amazing gameplay there! I hope you will include Rift support : p
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

tmek wrote:So I just started using Unity but clearly you can see my game features the latest in 3D pictures and computer game control switches.
For something that probably only took a few hours or short days to throw together it's actually a pretty compelling example of just how easy it is to get started in Unity. I hope you'll work on it more and show us your progress whenever you do something you're excited about. 8-)

I apologize if I came off as hysterical when the news about Unity Pro dropped, but it was only because I can see very clearly how perfect of a fit Unity is for people with big ideas and little prior experience, and I know how broke guys like that can be - I have huge ideas and NO experience, and I'm poor as a pauper. :lol: Unity still might be the engine that wins over the first-timers, but any other announcement Unity could have made would have not only cemented their status as "the VR engine" but made them considerably richer in the long term than sticking to their rigid business model will. It's a great engine, great, and it doesn't deserve to have a painful barrier to entry tied around it. With any luck the community mods we're already seeing will prove fruitful and everyone will be happy, and Unity can keep limping around on all their self-inflicted gunshot wounds. :lol:
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Since it now works with Unity free as well, this wont be an issue anymore : p
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

tmek wrote:So I just started using Unity but clearly you can see my game features the latest in 3D pictures and computer game control switches.

The fun cannot be halted.
that looks a lot like my first steps in unity, except that you already have pro/shadows. it's really fun isn't it :)

try to put some objects with disabled gravity in there (or disable gravity ^^). that is a lot of fun in the beginning ;)

and then put a light on a cube, having the light move is also really cool (you can change your camera to deferred lighting and enable shadows on the the point lights).

takes 5 minutes but suddenly you have a scene that lives.
Last edited by GeraldT on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

nateight wrote:
For something that probably only took a few hours or short days to throw together it's actually a pretty compelling example of just how easy it is to get started in Unity. I hope you'll work on it more and show us your progress whenever you do something you're excited about. 8-)

I apologize if I came off as hysterical when the news about Unity Pro dropped, but it was only because I can see very clearly how perfect of a fit Unity is for people with big ideas and little prior experience, and I know how broke guys like that can be - I have huge ideas and NO experience, and I'm poor as a pauper. :lol: Unity still might be the engine that wins over the first-timers, but any other announcement Unity could have made would have not only cemented their status as "the VR engine" but made them considerably richer in the long term than sticking to their rigid business model will. It's a great engine, great, and it doesn't deserve to have a painful barrier to entry tied around it. With any luck the community mods we're already seeing will prove fruitful and everyone will be happy, and Unity can keep limping around on all their self-inflicted gunshot wounds. :lol:
stop posting to the forum and go try out UDK, otherwise you will be broke forever. and I am really curious about your experiences with UDK. I love Unity, but in the long run there are some features with UDK that also spark my interest A LOT! go be creative, big ideas need to get out or your head might explode.
hal10000
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hal10000 »

Latest update email from Oculus

Oculus-ready Unreal Development Kit Coming in April

We thought we'd kick GDC 2013 off right, starting with some great news for Oculus developers.
Today, we're announcing that we've partnered with Epic Games to release a custom, Oculus-ready version of the Unreal Development Kit (UDK), the free edition of Unreal Engine 3 (UE3). The Oculus-ready UDK will be available to all Oculus developers. We're also releasing an Oculus integration for UE3, available to the full source Unreal Engine 3 licensees out there.

Unreal Engine 3 Features Highlight 2012

1102 ratings 165,309 views

The Unreal Engine 3 Features Highlight for 2012.
Unreal Engine is a world-class game development platform that's powered classic franchises including Gears of War, BioShock, Mass Effect, Borderlands, and Infinity Blade. The engine is also behind indie hits like Hawken (which we're showing at GDC!), Antichamber, Killing Floor, and Primal Carnage.

We've been working with Epic since the launch of the Kickstarter campaign to make the Oculus integration for Unreal Engine as high-performance as possible. With the Oculus-ready version of the UDK, you'll be able to start building incredible VR experiences with the Unreal Engine toolset the moment you receive your Rift development kit (or even right now, if you're so inclined).

Oculus Rift, Update #6: Hawken in Virtual Reality!

62 ratings 12,751 views

Hawken, developed using UDK, will be shown at the Oculus GDC booth. Come take it for a spin in VR!

The Oculus-ready UDK includes a few sample levels, including one of our favorites: the 'summer' Epic Citadel tech demo (shown below). The feeling of soaring over Epic Citadel's medieval village and castle in the Rift is nothing short of unreal. We've also added a "VR Mode" to the Unreal Tournament sample game, included with this exclusive UDK release, to help you get started quickly.

A few of the optimizations included in the Oculus - Unreal Engine integration:
- Added roll and z-depth to shaders
- Optimized low latency VR rendering - sensor update on the render thread, disabling GPU buffering and adding full scene super sampling (1.5-2x)
- Made UI and videoes work with head tracking and z-depth
- Players can now head-look during Matinee sequences
- Added console commands and config settings for all parameters

Epic Citadel Now Available for Android and iOS Update

193 ratings 200,726 views

Showcase for the Epic Citadel demo included with the UDK. Note that the map and content for the 'summer' version are included with the UDK, but the 'snowy' version of Epic Citadel that we showed on Jimmy Fallon is not included.
A huge 'Thank you!' to Epic for making this happen. The Oculus-ready UDK will be available from the Oculus Developer Center in early April. We'll let everyone know as soon as it's live.

If you're at GDC, we have two fantastic UE3-based demos at the Oculus booth this week: Hawken and Epic Citadel. Come by and check them out!

We're really looking forward to exploring your UDK-based VR creations inside the Rift. Get ready to build something Unreal!

-- Palmer and the Oculus team
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

Unity is great and i am going to make a few cool demos with it not having Unity Free to work right away is a bit sad but hey 4 months of Unity Pro good enough for anyone to come out with a cool demo for the Rift :-) better then nothing maybe they will come out with a way to get Unity Free to work with the rift soon enough :-D
Last edited by Evenios on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
AntonieB
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by AntonieB »

There is seriously something wrong with all people complaining about / thinking about all kind of dark complots around the unity integration. Seriously..
DaveRuddell
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveRuddell »

Baristan6 wrote:
DaveRuddell wrote:So the main issue wih getting Unity Free working with the Rift is that Unity Free does not have built-in support for post-image processing via a shader. This is the way you create the barrel-warp effect to compensate for the lens distortion in both shader I put together and I'm assuming the Rift shader as well. In order for Unity to make this work for the Rift, they would have to give away a powerful Pro feature for free. I think the work-around is to use the stereo-camera and then pipe it through an external driver like Vireio. I might not be an optimum solution, but if it allows people to develop for Unity without the price-tag, it's not a terrible compromise.
Works great. Here is a beta warp injector that works with your camera and the free version of Unity. It still has some legacy code from Vireio that waists resources, but I will fix that and upload the source code tomorrow. Make sure to uncheck "Use Barrel Warp Shader" in the DIYRift Camera.
UnityRiftWarp_v0_1a.zip
This works great! Just tested on my own Unity Free sandbox. I think this is a great alternative for people who run out of their Unity Pro 4-month license and want to keep building games. The other interesting thing is that even without the barrel-warp effect, the stereo camera setup mixed with the Rift works really well. For plunging through game development, it's not entirely "unacceptable" to not have the Unity Game screen use the shader/warping. It still works "good enough" to develop with, and once you have a finished game or project, tacking on the injector isn't a show-stopper.
densohax
Cross Eyed!

Post by densohax »

AntonieB wrote:There is seriously something wrong with all people complaining about / thinking about all kind of dark complots around the unity integration. Seriously..
I think they are simply jealous that someone is successful with VR, I can't see another reason.. They are not even trying themselve to make something, unfortunately.

Return to “Oculus VR”