Unity & Rift general thread

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Unity & Rift general thread

Post by GeraldT »

Griff my current playermodel is a capsule with no arms or legs, so the weapons are not attached to it and just free flowing.
Using the player as a parent for the guns made me expect that all Hydra position changes would be local to the parent object (the player), so when the player moves, the center of the local coordinates moves with it. but the guns always use the global (game world) coordinates it seems. And that is my problem - well, nothing that can't be worked around, but something I wish I would have a well documented demo scene for. ;)
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

GeraldT wrote:Griff my current playermodel is a capsule with no arms or legs, so the weapons are not attached to it and just free flowing.
Using the player as a parent for the guns made me expect that all Hydra position changes would be local to the parent object (the player), so when the player moves, the center of the local coordinates moves with it. but the guns always use the global (game world) coordinates it seems. And that is my problem - well, nothing that can't be worked around, but something I wish I would have a well documented demo scene for. ;)
Yes I imagine that there's a line of code that keeps the hydra attached to the parent object rather than the global co-ordinates. Ah they joys of coding :)
nanicoar
Cross Eyed!

Post by nanicoar »

drifter wrote:Let's centralize infos, tips, Q&A, homemade scripts, etc., anything related to Unity and VR.
https://github.com/NetEase/UnitySocketIO

I am working on getting sensor data out of Node.js right now, having already gotten the data into it from my mobile phone. With the above package getting that data into Unity should be rather easy.

Before I do that I'll have to do sensor fusion on the node server. There is a software suite at http://www.orocos.org/bfl/ which could let me do this without having to figure out all the math, but I don't expect that part to be easy.

This is of course all with a realtime requirement... If I get it all working we're one step closer to the machine revolution. 8-)

ED: And getting it out of node!! =D
Phase 2 will now commence. ^____^
drifter
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by drifter »

GeraldT wrote:Do you use Unity 3.5 or Unity 4? I had to convert the package to Unity 4 and maybe that's where something got broken.
Good point. I'm still on Unity 3.5 (I will need Mecanim though)
GeraldT wrote:I wish I would have a well documented demo scene for. ;)
Here it is (it's not mine, thank again to my pal Alex)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Thank you Drifter - thanks to Alex I got the whole thing working in the end. He even send me the source of Mageball.
But "well documented" is (at least for me) something even more documented, with more of a tutorial style documentation.

Still - Alex is awesome!! Don't get me wrong. But Razer should have done at least what Alex did in the end for free.
If I ever make some decent money out of my Razer games, I will send him a nice Thank you for sure. At the very least he will be in every credits ;)
drifter

Post by drifter »

GeraldT wrote:Thank you Drifter - thanks to Alex I got the whole thing working in the end. He even send me the source of Mageball.
You mean the source of his whole game ?
I'm interested ! (By PM maybe ?)
But "well documented" is (at least for me) something even more documented, with more of a tutorial style documentation.
yeah that could be a lot more documented, but it's enough for a low skill coder like me ;)
At the very least he will be in every credits ;)
Lol the same here. Alex will have already a few VR games to his credit :)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

drifter wrote:
GeraldT wrote:Thank you Drifter - thanks to Alex I got the whole thing working in the end. He even send me the source of Mageball.
You mean the source of his whole game ?
I'm interested ! (By PM maybe ?)
yeah that could be a lot more documented, but it's enough for a low skill coder like me ;)
At the very least he will be in every credits ;)
Lol the same here. Alex will have already a few VR games to his credit :)
I think - not sure, after making it a Unity4 project there was NOTHING working. I had to analyze his stuff and rebuild it to get something working (still a lot easier than starting from scratch).
But I can't send his code to anyone - best you ask Alex yourself. Maybe I am just wrong, as said "nothing worked" for me ;)

Yeah if one of us lands a hit (and you should with those tennis games for sure if they work), then his generosity will have paid off.
drifter

Post by drifter »

GeraldT wrote:But I can't send his code to anyone
Well I just did that in the OP... ho nevermind, I don't want to bother him anymore, it was just for curiosity, not really needed...
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I do that as a general rule - if I didn't code it, it isn't mine to give away.

I doubt though that Alex has a problem with you posting it. ;)
drifter

Post by drifter »

No he has no problem, I asked him at the time if I could share its bit of code (maybe you could have done the same, that could have helped some other people here, but well)
Last edited by drifter on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
drifter

Post by drifter »

Anyone know how we could control usb voltage in Unity ?
In this way we could drive usb fans... (I think of race and fly sims)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Not sure we can control USB voltage at all, but if I guess you need to do it in .NET and import a dll with the functions.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

drifter wrote:Anyone know how we could control usb voltage in Unity ?
I've had Arduinos on the brain lately and somehow stumbled across Uniduino (and also just posted my thoughts about it here). I still say there's more pressing work to be done on standardizing basic inputs, but it would seem you guys are hard at work on that, so perhaps I'm wrong.

@GeraldT - Licht is making me rethink my reluctant stance on the Leap Motion. I strongly believe that once people start publishing Rift-focused games, the stigma against "motion controls" as being useless for anything but "casual" games will entirely disappear; I can hardly wait to see what you cook up once you get a functional Hydra. rainabba said here that while the LM is compelling in many ways, it suffers from being fixed to a single perspective, the same sort of problem full-body 3D motion capture has only ever solved with a large array of expensive cameras. Please reread any NDA you may be under first, but if you're willing and able to give us your overall take on the device I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one interested to read it.
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

nateight wrote: @GeraldT - Licht is making me rethink my reluctant stance on the Leap Motion. I strongly believe that once people start publishing Rift-focused games, the stigma against "motion controls" as being useless for anything but "casual" games will entirely disappear; I can hardly wait to see what you cook up once you get a functional Hydra. rainabba said here that while the LM is compelling in many ways, it suffers from being fixed to a single perspective, the same sort of problem full-body 3D motion capture has only ever solved with a large array of expensive cameras. Please reread any NDA you may be under first, but if you're willing and able to give us your overall take on the device I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one interested to read it.
I have no problem sharing my experience - if there is an NDA, then the folks at LEAP don't care (since they repost many of these videos etc.). I must say they do an exampliary job with the LEAP. As usual they tend to ignore a single voice (big mistake for any new company imo), but so does Oculus etc.

Doesn't mean they don't notice you at some point :roll:

The device works great, I must say it is really fun to play with and I can't wait to see what other developers have come up with on the launch (okay, I have access to tons of cool apps in the dev center already, but I want games and nobody shares their games it seems).
Being able to act in 3D in realtime without a noticable delay is just FUN!! There are issues - for example I have problems because I have it connected to a USB hub that has also 8 other devices (WLAN stick, usb HDDs, soundcard ...) - but I have my LEAP in a "low resource" mode and it still works like a charm (unless I start copying files while streaming a youtube video ...).
But other than this little issue there is nothing I can complain about. I can only rave about the possibilities!!

Each day that passes I more and more want to make a little god game where you as the god can give your citizens a little push here and there, and do "godlike" stuff with gestures. But the SDK is permanently evolving, so I will wait before I even think of doing that (outside of very rough prototyping maybe). That will be a great game to play with the Rift I guess.

I have already done some Hydra stuff - and I think I will impress you guys with it in the future. But I want to implement the Rift first, because the freedom you get is really impressive if see what you are doing. Maybe you have seen this rather crude video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg26CJAir-A

I have this now working with 2 guns, but I have not implemented movement with the sticks. Really not a big deal, but I am currently ignoring the Hydra and focus on the LEAP, because that is what should finance my development in the future (I am running out of funds to continue full time development). Thankfully signs are good that I will be able to fulltime develop and maybe get some help in the coming months. :mrgreen:

EDIT:

Ohhh ... and to compare Hydra with LEAP! You can have your LEAP on your desk and start integrating it in your workflow, you can't do this with the Hydra yet. As long as the Hydra is not wireless - for some genres I can see the LEAP kick the Hydras ass just for that reason. For full VR games the LEAP is only an unusable toy though.
MaxPalmer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MaxPalmer »

Really like the Licht demo video, both the art style and the music - fits really well. Waiting for my leap motion to ship as well as the Rift.

I'm a professional .Net (C#) developer, who used to dabble in the creation of virtual buildings and think that this would be great to explore on the Rift. One thing I'd love to explore more is using Unity or UDK (I'm currently leaning towards unity). However, most of the books that look relevant for C# scripting haven't been published yet and I'm finding it difficult to find some accessible resources from a C# Visual Studio background. Do you have any pointers?

Also, what's the deal with setting up Unity to work with Visual Studio, and does anyone know of any tutorials about how to create geometry on the fly rather than pre-load assets?

Thanks.

Max

First post after lots of lurking here!
MaxPalmer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MaxPalmer »

Just found some basic C# and unity tutorials on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/steamisM50/videos?view=1
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

MaxPalmer wrote:Really like the Licht demo video, both the art style and the music - fits really well. Waiting for my leap motion to ship as well as the Rift.

I'm a professional .Net (C#) developer, who used to dabble in the creation of virtual buildings and think that this would be great to explore on the Rift. One thing I'd love to explore more is using Unity or UDK (I'm currently leaning towards unity). However, most of the books that look relevant for C# scripting haven't been published yet and I'm finding it difficult to find some accessible resources from a C# Visual Studio background. Do you have any pointers?

Also, what's the deal with setting up Unity to work with Visual Studio, and does anyone know of any tutorials about how to create geometry on the fly rather than pre-load assets?
I also have been a C# developer in .Net & VS before. I started reading books on game design and XNA (Visual Studio, C#) - also dabbled a bit, but never finished anything, kept it 2D too. Learned most by doing tons of beta testing and working with game developers as a game review blogger, even got some credits in games.

So I would advice you to get just Game Design books to get you started on the basic concepts. If you decide for Unity (and I think that is a good decision), then visit http://cgcookie.com/unity/ ... cool tutorials, also lots of code examples and stuff (I am a member, worth the money). There are also a ton of other tutorials worth having a look at.

And to create visually stunning stuff, I advice you to have a look at 3D model pages - those where you have to pay ;)

Glad you like LICHT ;)

Ohhh - and I didn't bother integrating VS, I just embraced the chance to have a go with Mono. So far it was a smooth ride - but development with Unity is different from normal C# development, in my opinion Unity would be the perfect tool to teach children object oriented programming, because it doesn't get more object oriented (at least that has been my approach so far).
MaxPalmer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MaxPalmer »

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check out the resources.

The more I think about the Rift the more mind bending the possibilities become! It feels like a totally new way of thinking about interactions.
drifter

Post by drifter »

nateight wrote:
drifter wrote:Anyone know how we could control usb voltage in Unity ?
I've had Arduinos on the brain lately and somehow stumbled across Uniduino (and also just posted my thoughts about it here).
Hehe nice video. Indeed Uniduino looks perfect for a DIY fan controller, cheap hardware and easy layout. It could easily drive 1 to 4 fans. May be the only actual solution (without creating a specific dll for usb fans).
I still say there's more pressing work to be done on standardizing basic inputs, but it would seem you guys are hard at work on that, so perhaps I'm wrong.
Agree, was just some thoughts, we will need some haptics standardization, even for simple fans.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

VRPN with Rift IMU support:
http://projects.ict.usc.edu/mxr/diy/vrpn/
Kajos
Cross Eyed!

Post by Kajos »

@GeraldT: Do you have Unity Pro? Else, how did you achieve the shadows?
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Kajos wrote:@GeraldT: Do you have Unity Pro? Else, how did you achieve the shadows?
That's a pro feature, you can't do it with the free version.
drifter

Post by drifter »

geekmaster wrote:VRPN with Rift IMU support:
thanks but I see no link with Unity ?
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

drifter wrote:
thanks but I see no link with Unity ?
I wish there was one - if getting the full range of VRPN devices working inside Unity was as simple as importing an asset it would be an inestimable boon to VR, as well as making Unity the go-to engine for any project not blessed with enough resources to afford a dedicated "driver wrangler". UIVA seems to be the best option for Unity Indie, but because of the way it's structured it apparently introduces additional latency, which for many VR applications may prove crippling (or at least vomit-inducing). VRPNWrapper has a different architecture that supposedly introduces no additional latency, but, predictably, only supports Unity Pro.

I've been mired in this exact problem for days or weeks now; this feels like something that should be solved already, but Google insists it's a complete clusterwhoops with no clear solutions, at least for those of us without $1500. I don't want to code drivers or middleware, I just want to pair a Wiimote to my computer's (non-BlueSoleil) Bluetooth stack, import into my Unity project a black box labeled VRPN or whatever, and start building a game. Is that so much to ask? :cry:
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

GeraldT wrote:LICHT
Congrats on the mention in the newest Leap Dev Newsletter.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

ChrisJD wrote:
GeraldT wrote:LICHT
Congrats on the mention in the newest Leap Dev Newsletter.
They did? Haven't received it yet, they told me they would mention it on the portal. Thank you for letting me know. :)
drifter

Post by drifter »

@nateight

thanks for the input
nateight wrote:UIVA seems to be the best option for Unity Indie, but because of the way it's structured it apparently introduces additional latency
I see it's a client-server structure...

"The process adds some latency time to the device update, but that time is negligible if the UIVA server is running on the same machine as the UIVA client", some people say.
Well, now "negligible" is a very relative word.

@GeraldT

Nice, do you have some links ? (or we must be registered leap dev ?)
(oups forgot to add your Unity game in the OP :) )
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

It was in an email send out to registered developers ... but nothing secret:

"Speaking of elegant design, we were impressed to see Gerald Terveen’s recent game Licht, which offers great visual feedback for the Leap Motion Controller. In Licht, rays of light cast shadows on the surrounding walls, illuminating surfaces in real time to let the user know exactly where they are at all times. This strong use of visual feedback helps to create a more immersive and intuitive experience. Without it, users can be left feeling disorientated and frustrated."

They linked to the old gameplay video. But LICHT is not a VR title - I will try to add Rift support to it, but I have doubt that it will be a compelling VR experience. I do have some more VR compatible ideas in store though and hope to start working on them once I get my Rift. But have to wait and see ... currently I am happy that I get feedback and support from the LEAP motion guys and I guess they rather support games made for normal monitors for the time being. So I will try and help fill the gaps they see in their storage. If they are still willing to help me when winter comes, that might finance my development for years ... and that is important for me.
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

http://www.oculusvr.com/press/oculus-ri ... hnologies/

Four Month Extended Unity Pro Trial Licenses Provided to Every Oculus Rift Developer.

Good business move by Unity, exciting opportunities for devs. The only downside is Unity gets pretty pricey with plugins and support for devices (such as Playstion, iOS). However, for $300... I'm getting my money's worth, ten fold.

Edit: No free lunch here. https://twitter.com/davidhelgason/statu ... 1588803585
Last edited by unsilentwill on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
German

Post by German »

unsilentwill wrote:http://www.oculusvr.com/press/oculus-ri ... hnologies/

Four Month Extended Unity Pro Trial Licenses Provided to Every Oculus Rift Developer.
Oh man, thank you for bringing the thread back on track with this excellent bit of info. I was thinking I was going to have to blow my savings to pick up Pro next month. With this, I can continue setting aside money and get it when the license expires.
DFP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DFP »

Sad that Pro is mandatory but understandable. I wonder how possible it would be to get away with making an un-prewarped Rift game with no tracking
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

VRPN to Free Unity:
http://www.hitlab.utas.edu.au/wiki/Unit ... PN_Adapter
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

Noted on Twitter:

http://unity3d.com/unity/faq Last question:
Yes you can create and sell a game with the free version of Unity, without paying royalties or any revenue share. However, the free version of Unity may not be licensed by a commercial entity with annual gross revenues (based on fiscal year) in excess of US$100,000, or by an educational, non-profit or government entity with an annual budget of over US$100,000.

Please also be aware that the feature set of the free version is not intended for the production of professional games and interactive content. Lastly, games made with our Pro trial licenses may not be distributed nor used for commercial purposes.
So, that's pretty tricky. I wonder what they mean by "used for commercial purposes" beyond selling or charging for the game. Because it seems to me the point now for any game made with the trial is just to learn Unity Pro for free, for four months.

The upside I see is that the work done in those four months could be shown off (but not distributed) in order to ask for investment (does that count as commercial purposes?) to buy a pro license to finish the game.
DFP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DFP »

unsilentwill wrote:...The upside I see is that the work done in those four months could be shown off (but not distributed) in order to ask for investment (does that count as commercial purposes?) to buy a pro license to finish the game. ...
It wouldn't make sense for them stand in the way of someone purchasing their product, so I think that's a safe bet. It's really just weird that the trial is limited at all.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

DFP wrote:
unsilentwill wrote:...The upside I see is that the work done in those four months could be shown off (but not distributed) in order to ask for investment (does that count as commercial purposes?) to buy a pro license to finish the game. ...
It wouldn't make sense for them stand in the way of someone purchasing their product, so I think that's a safe bet. It's really just weird that the trial is limited at all.
Many projects don't get finished. Students would go pro for their projects. There might be an update to a newer version in the meantime needing you to update. There are a million reasons - otherwise they would need to take much more money. This way it gets spread more - good for me, I would have skipped at 5000$.
DFP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DFP »

Did anyone else read the news that Unity will be supporting the PS4 + Vita? This could mean games for PS4 that come with hidden Rift functionality. I've always wanted to dev on a Playstation console.
Aabel
Cross Eyed!

Post by Aabel »

Yeah but it probably works like the Nintendo and PS3 Unity deal, as in no devkit, no PS4/vita support. Then there's the whole issue of getting the Rift working on PS4 hardware in the first place, which isn't going to happen without Sony's cooperation.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Aabel wrote:Yeah but it probably works like the Nintendo and PS3 Unity deal, as in no devkit, no PS4/vita support. Then there's the whole issue of getting the Rift working on PS4 hardware in the first place, which isn't going to happen without Sony's cooperation.
I think Sony is trying to open up the system, so I hope to be able to do some Vita developing soon. They see that the world is changing and the the more open platforms allow for a lot of money made through the stores. It was the best news of my day actually.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

GeraldT: What did you use to create the music?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
German

Post by German »

Okta wrote:GeraldT: What did you use to create the music?
Hey Gerald, can you please create a thread for your LEAP thing in Independent Game Development ? This isn't really the right thread for it.

Return to “Oculus VR”