First next gen game with Oculus Rift support

colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

First next gen game with Oculus Rift support

Post by colocolo »

this is a game by phosphor games studio.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/131 ... t-awakened
Some really cool gameplay ideas. Especially the scene where the player lifts cars by moving his hands.
Imagine this with the rift and the leap motion :woot

Look at the FAQ : What type of peripherals....?
Direlight
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: First next gen game with Oculus Rift support

Post by Direlight »

Looks good, but why is Epic not funding them? In the video it says they helped with Unreal engine. Epic doesn't like its own coders? Were they fired or something?
EdZ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by EdZ »

Direlight wrote:Looks good, but why is Epic not funding them? In the video it says they helped with Unreal engine. Epic doesn't like its own coders? Were they fired or something?
Epic make and sell the Unreal engine to developers, and will provide support for the engine. Having them pay people to make games with their engine would be like buying a car and expecting the manufacturer to pay for your petrol.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

A superman game would be good with that kind of tech...
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Looks cool, I like sandboxes. And I like the idea of having the sandbox be the basis for mods.

Looking forward to what they come up with :)
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

For those hunting for the Oculus reference, it's hidden in one of the FAQ questions:
What type of input methods/peripherals will you be supporting?
We will support multiple input methods for PC including mouse/keyboard and standard gamepads. In addition, we are happy to announce that we will be supporting Oculus Rift in Project Awakened!
This is the only reference to Oculus in the kickstarter.

The skeptic (or perhaps realist?) in me means I'll treat all games declaring that they are "supporting the Rift" as just tacking on rudimentary support (headtracking and warping), unless they can show evidence to the contrary. I'll reserve my excitement for those who are actually making a game FOR the Rift, with VR truly in mind, rather than just essentially copying what Virieo or VorpX will provide us.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Well, looks interesting, at least. Not sure if its my kind of game but the modding tools are intriguing.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Epic make and sell the Unreal engine to developers, and will provide support for the engine. Having them pay people to make games with their engine would be like buying a car and expecting the manufacturer to pay for your petrol.

Seriously? The company called Epic GAMES doesn't make games? Obviously they do and these guys helped make Unreal engine, so not sure how helping them is whatever example you used.

Some reading for you.

Code: Select all

They are well known for their Unreal Engine technology, which has powered their popular in-house Unreal series of first-person shooters, and the Gears of War series for the Xbox 360.

It is the parent company of game developers Chair Entertainment and People Can Fly. It has also set up studios in Shanghai, Seoul and Tokyo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Games

Omg they publish games!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

@Direlight ... you are right, but these are not Epics coders! They are a different company and (like many others) helped with the engine they want to use with their own project. Selling the engine to those guys makes more sense than financing every partners games - so at least the reason for the kickstarter is legit.
If they were more involved in UE4 than other partners basing games on UE4 would be interesting to know in this case.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Edit: ^^^^^^This.
Direlight wrote:Looks good, but why is Epic not funding them? In the video it says they helped with Unreal engine. Epic doesn't like its own coders? Were they fired or something?
Phosphor Games have done work on UE3 and UE4, but they are not a 'part' of Epic itself.

"As one of Epic's long-standing development partners, Phosphor Games has been a dependable and very much appreciated engineering resource for Unreal Engine 3 and Unreal Engine 4 technology."

-- Daniel Vogel
Director of Engineering, Epic Games
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Seems like a cold move, maybe Epic will give them a discount. :roll:
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

So..it looks like 'infamous', but with multiplayer or the like.

Nothing personal but I love single player campaigns and I have not bought a single game that is multiplayer oriented as a 'major component', period. I flip nickels at that side of the market by renting the game and playing the single player part for $3, over a period of 3 days or so. They don't get my money.

The reality is that it is a very nice looking game and I know next to nothing about it. The world seems bent on multi-player these days. Which is sad -for me.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Kerry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kerry »

KBK wrote:So..it looks like 'infamous', but with multiplayer or the like.

Nothing personal but I love single player campaigns and I have not bought a single game that is multiplayer oriented as a 'major component', period. I flip nickels at that side of the market by renting the game and playing the single player part for $3, over a period of 3 days or so. They don't get my money.

The reality is that it is a very nice looking game and I know next to nothing about it. The world seems bent on multi-player these days. Which is sad -for me.
I agree, I never really could get into multiplayer games, they all seem the same to me.
I'd rather a company focus on developing an amazing single player game, then waste time
adding multiplayer :evil:
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

I pledged $25. Thanks for the tip!
dragontoaster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dragontoaster »

I'm going to say the first next gen game with Rift support was Star Citizen, since that already has next gen looking graphics
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

:shock: I totally forgot that. Sure Star Citizen :woot
Although they are working with current Cryengine 3.4.x and
Cryteks next gen engine will be CryEngine 4.
You cant really say if its next gen or not. I would say if they will heavy
tessellate the objects and characters placed in the game then yes its a next gen game.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

I don't know if you would considier it CryEngine 3.4.X in Star Citizens context though since Chris said they have heavily modified (heavily being the key word) the engine to be able to handle the sapce/economic/physics part of the game. Kinda like how MS worked with Vista to make W7, you don't go saying you're working with Vista when you use W7 do you :P.

More importantly the game isn't out for 2 more years and he wants to push the PC at that time to it's limits, regardless of what engine is used if something will push PCs in 2 years time to their limits, i'd call that Next Gen :P.
drifter

Post by drifter »

What is next gen ? For a PC gamer that is current gen...
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

They won't get my money supporting only Windows.
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

supporting only Windows
Rift will support android or linux possibly. All ready working with Macs via emulators. Not sure what's wrong with windows 7, it's a great OS. Windows supports unsigned drivers in test mode too.

Cry engine is pc/windows oriented, by default, so is star citizen.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Horrible avatar behind view console game. Rift support? Why?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.

Return to “Oculus VR”