One Eyed Hopeful

Send BioShock Infinite team a devkit asap

Post by Moggle69 »

PSN/XBL/NNID/STEAM: Moggle69
rajveer
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Send BioShock Infinite team a devkit asap

Post by rajveer »

Why can't they buy one for themselves? They would have already if they were serious about it.
Mart
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mart »

Considering he's "super excited" I would be surprised if he hasn't ordered one. He's probably hoping to get his hands on one of the early prototypes. Palmer has commented that there are prototypes floating around with various developers already.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Mart wrote:Considering he's "super excited" I would be surprised if he hasn't ordered one. He's probably hoping to get his hands on one of the early prototypes. Palmer has commented that there are prototypes floating around with various developers already.
This is how I interpreted it as well. "Now... can someone (*Ahem* Dycus :P) please send me one?"
Moggle69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moggle69 »

The thought of playing Bioshock Infinite with Oculus Rift makes me.... OMG HAPPY!!!
PSN/XBL/NNID/STEAM: Moggle69
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

MSat wrote:
Mart wrote:Considering he's "super excited" I would be surprised if he hasn't ordered one. He's probably hoping to get his hands on one of the early prototypes. Palmer has commented that there are prototypes floating around with various developers already.
This is how I interpreted it as well. "Now... can someone (*Ahem* Dycus :P) please send me one?"
This is also how I interpreted it; "can someone please send me one immediately? March/April is too far away!".

And he would be right.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
rajveer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rajveer »

Hopefully that's what he means, because it would be awesome playing it with the Rift.
rcblob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rcblob »

In the article they mention the only way to do a PC version of a game right, is to have a dedicated team doing the PC dev.
I guess the same point could be made (and has been made by the Oculus folks) about developing for VR.

As much as I would like to play current games in VR, good VR-tailored versions will probably start appearing near the end of 2013 at the very earliest.
That being said, I can't wait to try out the dev kit when it arrives. I think I was Nr.2 of the 100 DIY kits, so here's hoping the devices are being shipped in a FIFO manner :D
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

IGN is blocked by the Nazis here, did Ken Levine mention Oculus? What's going on?
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

MrGreen wrote:IGN is blocked by the Nazis here, did Ken Levine mention Oculus? What's going on?
From the interview:

IGN: What do you think developing a version of BioShock or Infinite for something like the Oculus Rift?

Chris Kline: True story: there's a box in my basement right now where I still have a Nintendo Power Glove that I wired up to a custom RS-232 interface back in high school so I could write code for it on my Mac Classic. So personally I am super-excited to see VR hardware like the Oculus Rift come to fruition, and I think that the world of Columbia, with its expansive vistas and floating worlds to explore, would be an amazing location to explore through a head-mounted display. Now... can someone please send me one?
Guygasm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Guygasm »

In case anyone is interested, there is an extensive interview with Ken Levine on Polygon.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/1/ ... inite-vgas
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I would be surprised if someone at irrational hasn't already ordered a rift, but since infinite comes out on Feb 26, shipping them in march/april will mean it can't be included. I would think that the code would have to be pretty much locked down by now for release, so really, really hope they can add support after it is released.
Maybe it would be worth Palmer or one of the other rift guys sending them an email, outlining some details for integration of the Rift API. It would seem that correctly interpreting the input from the rift as well as the rendering shouldn't be too much for the developers, so long as they have the specs.
Endothermic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Endothermic »

I wouldn't mind if a month or two after release there was say a VR expansion for the game for $20 or something.

I'm sure a lot of people would complain about having to pay to get RIFT support added to the game but as long as it was proper support, I.e, they had an actual full team working on it, ran through the game to see if an area had issues with it and adjusted them, tested out VR controls, corrected all the scaling etc instead of simply just making it display on the RIFT and add head tracking, then I'd gladly pay for it.

Of course for games that come out at the end of the year etc I'd expect them to have support and not require you to pay extra to get it, but in the case of games coming out before the devs actually get a devkit, then I have no problem paying to have the support added, long as it is proper support like stated.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

BioShock Infinite is at $59.99 for preorder, which is already damn expensive for a single game. With $20 more for Rift support it would cost $80 overall, I think it's pushing things a bit too far.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I wouldn't mind if they did a VR DLC pack that included Rift support. They could even sell this for $10-15 I think would be acceptable.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Fredz wrote:BioShock Infinite is at $59.99 for preorder, which is already damn expensive for a single game. With $20 more for Rift support it would cost $80 overall, I think it's pushing things a bit too far.
... and yet I'd still be likely to pay it. Assuming it's as good as the first Bioshock, that is.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Fredz wrote:With $20 more for Rift support it would cost $80 overall, I think it's pushing things a bit too far.
You never want to move to Australia then since that's the std price for a AAA game, actually even $90 when it's first released depending on the publisher :o(

Like I said in this case of the game coming out before they even have a RIFT, if they then put a full team working on the VR part of it for a month or two once they did have a RIFT then I'd be more then happy to pay extra for it, even at the prices we pay, as long as the result was properly implemented VR and content changed to match and not just the regular game being 'viewable' on the RIFT.
Lookforyourhands

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Good point. If the community is willing to pay developers for their time and efforts it could be a win-win situation for all !
I would also pay for add-on VR experience.
3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dRat »

if it is build using Unreal Engine (UDK) as was Bioshock I then it will have native support. Of course the player control schema I supose is something that will be up to each developer (sorry for my ugly english)
3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dRat »

Lookforyourhands wrote:Good point. If the community is willing to pay developers for their time and efforts it could be a win-win situation for all !
I would also pay for add-on VR experience.
I dont see it that way, supporting oculus should be something that developer would include because that will make their games more atractive, if you favor a DLC schema then the spread of using VR will be more slow.

(im a foreign 3drat so sorry for my english)
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

you're fine at english outside of some tenses and whether something is a group or an individual entity. but you know far more words in english than most english speakers would know of your language.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

3dRat wrote:if it is build using Unreal Engine (UDK) as was Bioshock I then it will have native support. Of course the player control schema I supose is something that will be up to each developer (sorry for my ugly english)
There is a difference between "support" for the RIFT and being designed for VR.

BSI is practically finished and has been designed as a PC/Consle game so other then the control scheme there may simply be levels or scripted events in the game which just don't work in VR, they may just look plain wrong and have to go through and check the scale or rescale everything in the game so that it all looks life-size and the correct size from your perspective or you may be unable to get through an area due to not having super human mouse turning reflexes so in that case they might have to rebuild the level from scratch. AI might need changing in places because you just arn't capable of killing or avoiding it at that difficulty level in VR since it's designed for gamepad/mouse. They may have to completely redesign some of the weapons or the mechanics to give a better VR experience etc.

That's what i'm willing to pay for and expect to get if I have to pay,that amount of time spent looking at and modifying the game. If it simply displays on the RIFT correctly and you can turn your head to look around (like the UDK integ) then i'd expect it to be free and be quite annoyed if they tried to charge for it.

I hope they go through the game and make it a proper VR game rather then just make the thing display properly on the RIFT. The Bioshock games (more so the first) are so immersive even just on a monitor because of the world, the story, the atmosphere in it that it would be great just displaying on the RIFT with head tracking but if it was modified to be a proper VR game.... it would just be an astonishing experience :shock: one I think would be well worth paying for.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Just because the engine supports something (like the Rift) doesn't mean any game using that engine automatically gets support.

For example, stereo 3D has long been part of the Unreal Engine, but only a handful of games actually implement this. Developers have to make that choice.
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

cybereality wrote:Just because the engine supports something (like the Rift) doesn't mean any game using that engine automatically gets support.

For example, stereo 3D has long been part of the Unreal Engine, but only a handful of games actually implement this. Developers have to make that choice.
I'm not sure S3D is a great example since Helix Mod tends to make almost every UE game look amazing with 3dvision, but yeah, there won't be a driver that somehow makes a player rotate their head separately from the body xD
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

There are alot of different versions of U.E.3

It doesnt really matter if it looks good and is ported over without developer making improvements. Things like 2D Hud can be a near game breaker.

Return to “Oculus VR”