Rift Testing in UDK

zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Rift Testing in UDK

Post by zeroxygen »

While the dev kit is still unavailable, I thought I would start a thread to talk about easy testing setups for those that aren't familiar with UDK (myself included).

I really liked the showcase Jungle map in the UDK but the examples don't allow you much freedom to check them out in their entirety. The day/night cycle example is really nice, especially when the rain goes nuts at night, but it wouldn't be great for Rift testing since its entirely cinematic.

I just spent a little time working up some quick edits so I could walk around that showcase and watch the day/night cycle progress. To share the time spent I am going to post some quick instructions.

Of course this requires the UDK.
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Rift Testing in UDK

Post by zeroxygen »

Goal #1: Walk around with entire day night cycle & weather effects on an infinite loop.

1. Open %UDK_INSTALL_DIR%\UDKGame\Content\Maps\Showcases\NightAndDayMap.udk.
2. Disable Cinematic Mode.
- Open UnrealKismet (K button at top).
- On the left side of the "time of day" matinee you will find a "Toggle Cinematic Mode" object.
- Delete the "Toggle Cinematic Mode" and "All players" target attached to it.
- Drag to connect the "Level Loaded" action's "Loaded and Visible" to the above "Delay" Start.
3. Disable cams.
- In Kismet again.
- Use the search tool to find objects with property values of "Cam".
- Delete all of these objects (double click in search list, point at object in view, delete).
- Note you will have to repeatedly search.
4. Disable Fade In/Out.
- Open UnrealMatinee (button next to the Kismet at top), sequence SeqAct.Interp_4 'time of day'.
- Under the 'all' tab, uncheck the entire fade sequence (just the one box at the left of fade).
5. Press play.
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

Goal #2: Same as above but with the UT hud, walking noise, crosshair and a gun.

1. Do the same as above but then save-as the file with a "DM-" prefix. This sets it up with the hud/gun.
- Ex. DM-NightAndDayMap-Edit1.udk
2. Go back into Kismet, find the section titled "Toggle cinematic mode for flythrough" at the top left.
- Delete the "Toggle Cinematic Mode" and "All Players" objects.
3. Press play. Fire the gun.

If anybody else has some nice ideas that would be quick to setup for the average person, or recommendations on where to go for resources, please share the info. :)
3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dRat »

learn some kismet while you wait for your oculus kit.... :) is not very complex to turn the day cycle map into one "playable"
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

3dRat wrote:learn some kismet while you wait for your oculus kit.... :) is not very complex to turn the day cycle map into one "playable"
You are right, its not, which is exactly shown above. :)
Metathias
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Metathias »

Hey i dig it man. I've been playing with UDK as well. Its a pretty easy engine just to throw simple stuff into and mess around once you get the hang of it. We have the #OculusDev IRC channel going on EFNet pretty much for these purposes. People playing around/trying to learn in the development environment, And interested in sharing their productivity whatever it might be. With everything focusing essentially on the Rift.
Cymatic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cymatic »

Hi everyone!

This Rift/UDK dev thread was buried deep, looks like a lot of us are pro Unity. :D

I am currently working with a Razer Hydra in UDK, and have a Rift dev kit on the way. I thought it might be a good idea to share my progress as a method of self motivation and perhaps help someone along who is in the same boat.

http://cymaticsoftware.wordpress.com/

I am a UDK beginner working on this in my spare time, but I plan on regular updates at least once a week. It's part journal, part tutorial, and includes links to various resources that I make use of. I look forward to sharing my process with ya'll, and I welcome feedback.

--Cymatic
Cymatic Bruce, VR Evangelist, Developer Relations @ Qualia3d

Return to “Oculus VR”