Telepresence / Rotating Stereoscopic Camera (3D FPV)

blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Telepresence / Rotating Stereoscopic Camera (3D FPV)

Post by blazespinnaker »

Perhaps I missed it, but is anyone working on this yet?

Basically, I'm looking for a stereoscopic camera mounted on a rotating platform that can take positional information from the Oculus Rift and position itself accordingly.

I can imagine there'd be some problematic latency issues if the device was too far away, but still might be fun to play with.
Last edited by blazespinnaker on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Telepresence / Rotating Stereoscopic Camera

Post by BOLL »

People interested in using the Rift for FPV are probably looking at it :P which makes me think of borrower-vision with a tele-prescence that is miniaturized with a very short IPD. Or the other way around, a large IPD to see the world miniaturized instead. I would definitely want to try things like that :D
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Realistically, how low can the latency go, with current technology (that is affordable)?

That stereo FPV camera for model planes looks really light: http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php ... cts_id=393
It's just a PCB with a chip and two tiny cameras, and weighs 30grams according to the website.

You'd need to simulate at least 2 degrees of freedom (I would have thought that simulating roll properly might complicate things), I wonder what the best way to do that would be? Are the kind of servos you'd need expensive?

I am very interested in the whole stereo-camera-telepresence thing too.
BOLL wrote:Or the other way around, a large IPD to see the world miniaturized instead. I would definitely want to try things like that :D
Like this?:

Because its one of the first things I want to do when I get my Rift haha! :mrgreen:
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

This gives a whole new meaning to having your head-in-the-clouds.
It also illustrates how important it is for game developers to think about the influence and in-game character's IPD has on the way the player experiences the world. Different people experience objects in different ways because of their IPD. If that of an in-game character is suddenly from yours this is likely to impact the way you experience a game. My guess is that Oculus is already ahead of us and will put this value in the SDK, perhaps based on how the player customizes the head-set.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

My 3d printer whips around pretty fast. You might be able to hook something up with some wifi cameras, gears, arduino, stepper motors and belts.

Haven't thought too much into this yet, TBH, but I'll probably start tinkering around with a BOM while I wait for the rift.

I agree though, it probably won't be the kind of latency you can get via rendering.

At least the scenery would be photo realistic :mrgreen: And of course, it reminds me of that passage near the end of Neuromancer:
"The head," Case said, "there's a panel in the back of the
head. Zircons on it. Get it off. That's where I'm jacking in."
And then they were inside.

"Christ on a crutch," the Flatline drawled, "you do believe
in takin' your own good time, don't you, boy?"
"Kuang's ready?"
"Hot to trot."
"Okay." He flipped.
And found himself staring down, through Molly's one good
eye, at a white-faced, wasted figure, afloat in a loose fetal
crouch, a cyberspace deck between its thighs, a band of silver
trodes above closed, shadowed eyes. The man's cheeks were
hollowed with a day's growth of dark beard, his face slick withsweat.
He was looking at himself.
Molly had her fletcher in her hand. Her leg throbbed with
each beat of her pulse, but she could still maneuver in zero-g.
Maelcum drifted nearby, 3Jane's thin arm gripped in a large
brown hand.
A ribbon of fiberoptics looped gracefully from the OnoSendai to a square opening in the back of the pearl-crusted
terminal .
He tapped the switch again.
Another reason I want one, is that they could certainly bring a new dynamic to these:

brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Don't forget this one. $1000 and the only one with an independent neck. :D (although motor latency would certainly be a problem)

http://teledev.blogspot.com/2011/07/diy ... art-1.html
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Diorama wrote:Like this?: http://i.imgur.com/AmqGNj6.png
Haha, if you have access to two mountain tops, sure :P no head-tracking possible then though. This reminds me of some photohraphs I took in 2011... I've put a few in the gallery. Keep in mind it was entirely experimental, hard to keep track of convergence in a moving aircraft.
angrybob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by angrybob »

I'm not sure latency is a show stopper here, at least if you're not going for absolute realism.

Imagine you are in a fairly blank virtual room, perhaps just blackness with a grid of lines. As you move your head, your view moves as you'd expect. The image from the camera is displayed in a virtual window in front of you. If you turn your head, the window goes out of your view, but will move back into your view as soon as it can.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

That is a fantastic idea angrybob. So as long as I am rendering a 3d room/sphere with the camera input like an imax screen, there is no issue with latency between me and the camera as long as there is no latency between me and the 3d 'room' I am in.

Yes I can see it now :woot
Additives
Cross Eyed!

Post by Additives »

Thats basically how I imagined FPV to be. You might want to consider the idea of having the image wider than the rift FOV with a dead zone though, because when I was doing a thought experiment I could envision a lot of odd movement as the user moves their head BEFORE the camera finishes making the last movement.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

If the camera is one spot, there could be some interesting opportunities for predictive caching.

For example, let's say the telepresence robot was at a sports game, live concert, or just security camera. A lot of the environment could potentially be cached and perhaps the wifi cameras could be programmed to just send the delta between the cache and any new information. Also, on the other side, there could be low latency software linked to the SDK which sends the cached data and then blends in the new information as it gets it.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

I listed the 3d camera (human IPD) and the 2 axis geared mount in the plane FPV thread. It's here somewhere on this forum...

I guess I did not list the mount, but there are at least two, possibly three of them. One is small, light and wood, the other is aluminum, looks like it is for copters and other stationary fliers. The wooden one is available as a kit..and I believe the third one is also from the same company.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Return to “Oculus VR”