Just placed an order for the Dev Kit! Order #43705 ?!

TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Just placed an order for the Dev Kit! Order #43705 ?!

Post by TheLostBrain »

Wow, if that's incremental they've got a lot of orders to fill.

Good job Palmer - living the dream bro. :)
My Current VR Setup
- N-Vision Datavisor 80 HMD (1280x1024, 80 FOV at 100% Overlap)
- Ascension Technology Flock of Birds 6DOF Magnetic Tracking + Extended Range Transmitter
- Prototype HMD (~100 FOV) - Specs and design to be shared after patent issued.
- IZ3D for non stereo-ready apps
- GlovePie for TrackIR emulation for apps without native Ascension Tech FOB Support
http://www.thelostbrain.com/?tag=/head+mounted+display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Just placed an order for the Dev Kit! Order #43705 ?!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

How did you find out your order #?
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

It would be cool if that really was an indication of the number of units they've sold. Who knows. Maybe the orders have been pouring in since all the positive CES coverage they've been getting.
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

2EyeGuy wrote:How did you find out your order #?
Was just part of the checkout process and email confirmation.

If you placed an order with them awhile ago there's probably a good chance the checkout process has simply been updated since then.

Wow... I don't know what their initial production capacity is going to be but with those kind of numbers I'd hope to get a dev kit sometime this year let alone April (expected delivery date currently listed on their site).
My Current VR Setup
- Ascension Technology Flock of Birds 6DOF Magnetic Tracking + Extended Range Transmitter
- GlovePie for TrackIR emulation for apps without native Ascension Tech FOB Support
http://www.thelostbrain.com/?tag=/head+mounted+display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

LostBrain, What do you hope Rift will do that the HMD in your avatar won't do? I think my Rift order is one of the first 5000, maybe you would like to swap?
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

bobv5 wrote:LostBrain, What do you hope Rift will do that the HMD in your avatar won't do? I think my Rift order is one of the first 5000, maybe you would like to swap?
Lol, if I still had the ol' DV80 I probably would :) Yeah I really need to update my profile.

The DataVisor was a great price of precision equipment but it was also heavy and quite uncomfortable after short use actually. Also, it was such a pain driving that thing as it required a Color Field Sequential video signal that was only natively supported on Silicon Graphics hardware... and for the PC side of things there was just one old WildCat full length AGP video card that could be made to drive the signal when paired with a proprietary driver Intergraph released long ago. That worked but I was stuck on old hardware that would barely run glquake in 3d let alone anything else :)

I actually did hack around and got it working to some degree on a newer video card but the color shutters would never stay fully in sync so it would it would be good for a short time and then just kind of slowly color bleed all the colors of the rainbow atop a greyscale representation of the image while i played a game.. Still pretty exciting at the time lol.

Eventually I sold it and took the wife (girlfriend at the time) on a nice vacation. I think she appreciated the vacation much more than my HMD obsession :)

So... as for what do I KNOW the Rift will do that the DV80 didn't... everything I wanted to do with the DV80 but couldn't. :)

Also portability. I absolutely love the idea of being able to throw this thing in bag and pull it out w/ my macbook some place w/ headtracking, etc good to go.

Seriously, in all my time rebuilding old hmds and then working on my own design, etc. I've really never had the pleasure of just sitting down and doing what I initially set out to do with them to begin with... Have fun.. getting lost in the game / environment. I'm really looking forward to becoming just another consumer at this point :)
My Current VR Setup
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

TheLostBrain wrote:Seriously, in all my time rebuilding old hmds and then working on my own design, etc. I've really never had the pleasure of just sitting down and doing what I initially set out to do with them to begin with... Have fun.. getting lost in the game / environment.
Ha ha. I've got the same problem. I get so obsessed with the problem solving aspect that I forget to actually use anything. I probably spent 1000 hours and $3000 on VR research, equipment, and development last year. And probably only spent about 5 hours actually playing anything.
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

Usually order numbers are not incremental in that they start at 00000 and work up. They normally start as some seemingly random number.
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

TheLostBrain wrote:
2EyeGuy wrote:How did you find out your order #?
Was just part of the checkout process and email confirmation.

If you placed an order with them awhile ago there's probably a good chance the checkout process has simply been updated since then.

Wow... I don't know what their initial production capacity is going to be but with those kind of numbers I'd hope to get a dev kit sometime this year let alone April (expected delivery date currently listed on their site).
I think I recall reading their production capacity was up to 500 a day with their manufacturer, so even at 43705 that puts them at max 3500 a week or 15000 a month while giving a nice margin. So I'd guess maybe late June.

I figure I made the pre-order somewhere around the 10000 mark but now I'm starting to wonder if I won't get mine until late May.
DolAtoR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DolAtoR »

I don't think the order number is representative of the amount of orders they got. We ordered one in early december and the order number looked like this: 60474474Y08017341
jaybug
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by jaybug »

Yeah, they've even said this week that they are producing about 10000 kits initially, so I doubt that number is related to your place in the line so to speak.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

jaybug wrote:Yeah, they've even said this week that they are producing about 10000 kits initially, so I doubt that number is related to your place in the line so to speak.
Can you find the source for that? Because I remember that it was phrased in such a way that it only referenced the Kickstarter rewards.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

mahler wrote:
jaybug wrote:Yeah, they've even said this week that they are producing about 10000 kits initially, so I doubt that number is related to your place in the line so to speak.
Can you find the source for that? Because I remember that it was phrased in such a way that it only referenced the Kickstarter rewards.
Best I could find was this IGN video where the guys are repeating that "the oculus guys" said they have about 10k kits sold.

But I swear to you, I heard it straight from Nate's mouth. I SWEAR :P
DolAtoR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DolAtoR »

mahler wrote:
In the techcrunch Interview (~ 1 minute in) Palmer stated that they sold 7000 units on kickstarter and "a couple thousand" via the preorder website, so 10,000 kits seems to be a valid number. Which will undoubtedly go up after the great feedback they got from CES.
rcblob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rcblob »

DolAtoR wrote:
In the techcrunch Interview (~ 1 minute in) Palmer stated that they sold 7000 units on kickstarter and "a couple thousand" via the preorder website, so 10,000 kits seems to be a valid number. Which will undoubtedly go up after the great feedback they got from CES.
On that note, it would be quite interesting to see a graph of units sold by time.
You could probably see little bumps every time the Oculus makes another "round" in the news.
przecinek
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by przecinek »

Ay, never bother to check but it seems my order # is 43663 :shock:
Guess I'll have to wait till mid may at least
totallymichael
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by totallymichael »

43656 here. Man, I hope it's not really relative to how many units they sold. Having to wait until May or June would suck pretty hard. I need it!
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

Ahh.. Hey guys we might be able to answer our own question here. :)

When did you guys place your orders?
I placed mine last night (Jan 10 2013).

43705 is only 50+ units higher than 43656, 43663.

If you guys placed your orders a month ago for instance... and the number has only gone up 50ish since then... then we *might* surmise the '43' ... or just the '4' even.. is some type of prefix not part of total number of orders, etc.

So, let's see what we got. ;) Anybody else who ordered one please feel free to chime in as well to help out the cause. :)

Or.. Unless Dycus or Palmer would to offer something official.. not that they're busy with CES or anything :)
My Current VR Setup
drifter

Post by drifter »

#043582 here
Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM

so we would have ~100 units sold daily...
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

drifter wrote:#043582 here
Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM

so we would have ~100 units sold daily...

whoa... :shock:

47K+ units is not an impossible number then when factoring in a spikes from Kickstarter, CES, Media, etc.

Sure looks incremental at this point.. Anyone else?
My Current VR Setup
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

As of Nov. 10th they still used an older format 7VT69233L31554806
drifter

Post by drifter »

ok so they didnt start at 0
Callezetter
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Callezetter »

As someone who pledged Aug 1st i have the payment reference: Funding8440599
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

Nate and Palmer both mentioned multiple times in various CES 2013 interviews (recently, over the past few days) that they have sold about 7k units via the kickstarter and about 3k online via the order form. So it seems likely that their order system numbers probably started at 40,000.
Owen
Cross Eyed!

Post by Owen »

Or the first digit is a code for what type of order it is.
DaveNagy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveNagy »

Order #043771, here.

(I told myself that I'd wait for the consumer version... but I weakened.)
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I wish I knew my order number so I know whether I'm getting Doom 3 BFG or not.
I guessed I probably have paid for Doom 3 BFG, so I downloaded it and I've been modding the source-code since it came out. But it would be nice to know for sure.

I think it makes sense to weaken at this point, now that we know how professional the devkit is going to look, how improved it is over the prototype, how much the industry loves it, how much software support there's likely to be, and how many drivers there are going to be for playing existing games on it. I'd weaken and buy one if I didn't consider myself a developer.

I assume future games for the Rift are going to support the developer kit and the commercial version. I'll be disappointed if they only work on the consumer version.
Conan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Conan »

2EyeGuy wrote:I assume future games for the Rift are going to support the developer kit and the commercial version. I'll be disappointed if they only work on the consumer version.

we will at least get priority alpha/beta testing for games in development that will support the rift
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

#43835 here. So it seems like under 100/day, but still a good amount of preorders coming in.
przecinek
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by przecinek »

TheLostBrain wrote:Ahh.. Hey guys we might be able to answer our own question here. :)

When did you guys place your orders?
I placed mine last night (Jan 10 2013).

43705 is only 50+ units higher than 43656, 43663.
Well I ordered mine on the 10th of Jan as well ... so it means in a very short space of time, they already sold 50+ units, that's just crazy!

Order #43705 is exactly what it stands for ... 43705 units ordered. At this rate I'm sure we'll hit 100k mark before the end of march.
Xemakon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Xemakon »

I think tmek is on the money about the online orders starting a @40000, that makes sense to me. And they have stated in multiple CES interviews they are at around 10k dev kits sold. They also mentioned that there will be a finite number of dev kits manufactured, so hopefully theres enough to go around at the development level. Then again I doubt M$ or Sony ever produced that many dev kits so Oculus is looking phenomenal there.
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

Xemakon wrote:They also mentioned that there will be a finite number of dev kits manufactured, so hopefully theres enough to go around at the development level.
Where did you hear that? As far as I've been hearing, they're gonna ship the initial 7,500 or whatever, then the rest in a second batch soon after, which surely covers all orders placed by now. And I've also heard them talking about producing 500 per day, until the orders are filled. Or something to that effect.
TheLookingGlass
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheLookingGlass »

Leahy wrote:As of Nov. 10th they still used an older format 7VT69233L31554806
I ordered mine in November as well and I have this older format order #.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

they still had that style on december the 3rd.
Xemakon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Xemakon »

Well Nikokun, I poured thru about an hour of CES coverage trying to find that quote, and I can't. I'm positve i heard it somewhere, possibly read it. At this point I've looked at so much oculus media coverage and read just about every article on net, so I may ever find that bit agian. If you think about it though, it has to be a limited run, becuase at some point the factory and the staff are going to have to shift gears toward consumer production. Oculus has stated they are already working on the consumer model and want to get it out fast, once its ready. I think the only thing holding them back is A. critical dev feedback B. a library of launch software and C. Positional tracking.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

I can confirm that during CES interviews (multiple times) Palmer stated 7000 kickstarter units plus preorders equals 10,000 units needed to manufacture.

He didn't mention anything about new preorders which take place between CES and March/April. Those are unaccounted for at this point. However, the website still targets April for estimated ship date. If that has changed they probably should update the webpage.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Just placed my pre-order!

"Your order number is 043966."
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Xemakon wrote:Well Nikokun, I poured thru about an hour of CES coverage trying to find that quote, and I can't. I'm positve i heard it somewhere, possibly read it. At this point I've looked at so much oculus media coverage and read just about every article on net, so I may ever find that bit agian. If you think about it though, it has to be a limited run, becuase at some point the factory and the staff are going to have to shift gears toward consumer production. Oculus has stated they are already working on the consumer model and want to get it out fast, once its ready. I think the only thing holding them back is A. critical dev feedback B. a library of launch software and C. Positional tracking.
Could it be this forum post? http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 899#p92899

Notice he says "initial manufacturing run." I think he means the first batch being made before Chinese New Years.
wavefunction
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wavefunction »

Zoide wrote:Just placed my pre-order!

"Your order number is 043966."
I placed my order about three hours ago. It's #043961! Beat you by 5 units. :D :lol:
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Sounds like they're selling 2 and a half units per hour, or 60 per day. Not too bad considering they are telling people not to buy it and so many developers already have one.

Return to “Oculus VR”