cable management

alpha
One Eyed Hopeful

cable management

Post by alpha »

Hello

I have a quick question regarding the DVI cable length and or if a any cable will be supplied. My PC is on the floor right under my table and I will need a long cable to be able to use the Rift. If a cable is included do I need to order an extender cable or something like this? How long can the cable be?

Thanks,
Markus

PS: I have USB ports on my keyboard, but would that cause additional latency and I should directly plug in the PC -in this case I may need to also get a USB extender cord?
PPS: Are there any other essential things I need to have to get the it all going? Like a power supply or some other cable or anything not included bedsides a working PC of course.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: cable management

Post by cybereality »

I don't really know, but I am guessing the dev-kits will ship without a DVI cable.
Dycus
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dycus »

There will be a hopefully ~6ft cable between the headset and control box. I'm not sure if we're including a DVI cable or not, but they're super cheap if you know where to look.

6ft: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
10ft: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

For VR use I truly hope there is possibility to change the cables to longer ones. 6ft cable is on the range of too long for equiping the control box and too short for doing anything in VR?
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

If you want long range use, just wear the control box on your belt and use a long DVI or HDMI cable.
alpha
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alpha »

Thanks for answering. I did use monoprice.com before and there prices are very good... I just want to get everything I need before the Rift ships so I'm ready and don't need to got to Best Buy to buy a overpriced Monster Cable for $89.99 or have to wait another two week because I like to use "Smartpost" or some other cheap and slow service... Right now would be a good time to buy all the extras for me.

Return to “Oculus VR”