pre-kickstarter funder thread

2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Re: pre-kickstarter funder thread

Post by 2EyeGuy »

German wrote:There's information that doesn't concern you and you don't know it.
Obviously that's not true, or they wouldn't be going to the effort of keeping the information from me. There must be something relevant to those they are trying to keep the information away from, or there'd be no point to the secrecy.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Ok, I am going to drop the bomb.

They are going to get a Rift made out of pure gold with Palmar Luckey´s face engraved where the Oculus VR logo should be.
He can´t tell the public they exist, because he stole the gold from pirates and if they find out he stole it they would attack him.
So I hope you guys now understand why he has to keep it secret.

JK.

In all seriousness this was Palmer´s decision, so guys stop asking.
Even if you keep asking they won´t tell you anything about it, because they respect his decision.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
hammerbot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by hammerbot »

Maybe to pre kickstarters will get their rift with higher rez screen? They deserve a slightly better dev kit because most of them paid way more than 300 dollars and they also put their trust into Palmer. :)
maboo63
Cross Eyed!

Post by maboo63 »

Will you guys reveal the secret once the rifts are sent out?
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

hammerbot wrote:Maybe to pre kickstarters will get their rift with higher rez screen? They deserve a slightly better dev kit because most of them paid way more than 300 dollars and they also put their trust into Palmer. :)
This is possible considering Palmar still uses dev kits made out of tape to demo the Rift, even tough they already have the dev kit we are going to get in their offices.
The kits they are using to demo could already have some advancement in hardware we are not yet aware of.

lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by lnrrgb »

Obviously, the request for silence was purely financial in nature, that is the nature of having insider knowledge.... Palmer just didn't want to throw off the shipping date pool. If I had access to a huge bank account, I might drop a few dollars on a sure thing. Remember, he was hoping for enough profit to rally a pizza, and a couple beers, after all this was done. Why not parlay the excess into pizza for life, and beers for all?
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Marulu wrote:Ok, I am going to drop the bomb.

They are going to get a Rift made out of pure gold with Palmar Luckey´s face engraved where the Oculus VR logo should be.
He can´t tell the public they exist, because he stole the gold from pirates and if they find out he stole it they would attack him.

That's pretty much what I guessed, but it's good to finally know for sure. Thank you.
Mel

Post by Mel »

2EyeGuy wrote:
Marulu wrote:Ok, I am going to drop the bomb.

That's pretty much what I guessed, but it's good to finally know for sure. Thank you.
This is ridiculous,

The strap will absolutely not be made of gold,
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Wait. My e-mail said silver. I think I got placed into the wrong tier or something. I'm fairly certain I signed up for the gold version.
German

Post by German »

Meh, gold and silver are too heavy, I went with the titanium option.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Carbon fiber would be cool though...

www.AwesomeBlade.com
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

2EyeGuy wrote:
German wrote:There's information that doesn't concern you and you don't know it.
Obviously that's not true, or they wouldn't be going to the effort of keeping the information from me. There must be something relevant to those they are trying to keep the information away from, or there'd be no point to the secrecy.
Has it occurred to you that perhaps the information is being kept private so that it does not get to a specific group of people, or get interpreted improperly? Keeping it private has nothing to do with the relevance of the information to you, the forum, or the public. It is an independent factor. :P I don't see the logical jump from "This information is being kept from me" and "Therefore, the information is relevant to me".
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

PalmerTech wrote:
2EyeGuy wrote:
Has it occurred to you that perhaps the information is being kept private so that it does not get to a specific group of people, or get interpreted improperly? Keeping it private has nothing to do with the relevance of the information to you, the forum, or the public. It is an independent factor. :P I don't see the logical jump from "This information is being kept from me" and "Therefore, the information is relevant to me".
HEY! Get off the forums and get back to licking stamps for the boxes!
Nogard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nogard »

Pingles wrote:
PalmerTech wrote:
2EyeGuy wrote: Obviously that's not true, or they wouldn't be going to the effort of keeping the information from me. There must be something relevant to those they are trying to keep the information away from, or there'd be no point to the secrecy.
Agreed if Oculus HQ is anything but a third world workshop right now I will have to have a few stern words...
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Pingles wrote:
PalmerTech wrote: Has it occurred to you that perhaps the information is being kept private so that it does not get to a specific group of people, or get interpreted improperly? Keeping it private has nothing to do with the relevance of the information to you, the forum, or the public. It is an independent factor. :P I don't see the logical jump from "This information is being kept from me" and "Therefore, the information is relevant to me".
:lol: ... naaahhh, I'd say ... off to bed young man, you really need to catch up on some sleep. ;)
Last edited by GeraldT on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

PalmerTech wrote:Has it occurred to you that perhaps the information is being kept private so that it does not get to a specific group of people, or get interpreted improperly?
Isn't that exactly what I said?
PalmerTech wrote:Keeping it private has nothing to do with the relevance of the information to you, the forum, or the public.
But you just said that it did have to do with that (or at least that their misinterpretations of the information would be relevant to them).
PalmerTech wrote:I don't see the logical jump from "This information is being kept from me" and "Therefore, the information is relevant to me".
I didn't mean me personally. Just that you were obviously trying to keep the information away from some people that it would be relevant and meaningful to, otherwise what would be the point? It makes logical sense if you change it to "The information is being kept from group x (and only from group x), therefore the information is relevant to at least some subset of group x."
It's never a case of "Here's some ancient Hungarian poetry I heard you guys were interested in, but please don't share it with the others, you know how boring and irrelevant they find it."

It wasn't meant as a complaint or anything like that, it's just that someone said something illogical, and I felt an overwhelming urge to correct their logic, as people do on the internet. I respect your right/duty to reward those who supported the Rift when it was nothing but a homemade stickytaped design. I don't even think all this secrecy is your idea.
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

WTB Forgiveness.

This is all my fault for saying the word "surprise" to describe the e-mail we have all been waiting for with baited breath. All the kickstarter people had received confirmation through the Oculus site that all their information was correct and everything.

So when I got it I flipped out a bit. I should never have mentioned that the e-mail even mentioned not to mention it. I just got so excited to let other fellow pre-kickstarters know that the e-mail had officially arrived. So I went to share the excitement with them on the pre-kickstarter thread before actually reading the e-mail. I didn't know it would cause such a ruckus with people that may not need be concerned with the pre-kickstarter questions/info this thread was started for.

My apologies Palmer. :oops: I hope this doesn't mean my solid silver Rift will be further demoted to a solid bronze version. The non-4K resolution I can completely handle, but bronze? :cry:
German

Post by German »

2EyeGuy wrote: It wasn't meant as a complaint or anything like that, it's just that someone said something illogical, and I felt an overwhelming urge to correct their logic, as people do on the internet. I respect your right/duty to reward those who supported the Rift when it was nothing but a homemade stickytaped design. I don't even think all this secrecy is your idea.
Now you're just backpedaling. Nothing I said was illogical. You were just fishing for information and whining and complaining about not knowing what the email said.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

German wrote: Now you're just backpedaling. Nothing I said was illogical. You were just fishing for information and whining and complaining about not knowing what the email said.
There's no backpedaling. I'm sure I've called you illogical before, and I'm sure I will again. Stop pretending you are any kind of rational thinker, or that I'm not. You're not good at it.
German

Post by German »

You're not fooling anyone. You think that if you can only keep this going long enough, if you can just find the right set of words, appeal to the right person, someone is going to get exasperated with your childishness and post the email.

Hey guys, don't fall for this jealous baby's wiles. We can keep this to ourselves and be smuglords, just like him.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

German wrote:Hey guys, don't fall for this jealous baby's wiles. We can keep this to ourselves and be smuglords, just like him.
Don´t add insult to injury, that´s in bad taste. :D

German

Post by German »

Marulu wrote:
German wrote:Hey guys, don't fall for this jealous baby's wiles. We can keep this to ourselves and be smuglords, just like him.
Don´t add insult to injury, that´s in bad taste. :D
Yeah I know. These Internet "logic" trolls just bring it out of me though. :/
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

German wrote:... if you can just find the right set of words, appeal to the right person, someone is going to get exasperated with your childishness and post the email.
... you are right, the world does not work like that!!

Sharing "super secret Oculus Rift gets visited by Chris Roberts raw cut edition" video against "super secret pre-kickstarter news" emails :lol: ( no I don't ... I just couldn't help it ... if German says there is nothing of importance to me in that email, then I trust him and the matter is done).
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

GeraldT wrote:no I don't ... I just couldn't help it ... if German says there is nothing of importance to me in that email, then I trust him and the matter is done.
As far as I'm concerned, the matter was settled the moment we learned about the email and that Oculus / Palmer didn't want it shared. We should just respect their decision since they're obviously acting in the best interest of their own future, and by extension the future of virtual reality.
hammerbot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by hammerbot »

Pingles wrote: HEY! Get off the forums and get back to licking stamps for the boxes!
Was this meant as a joke or not, i still think that this sentence was incredibly rude.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

twofoe wrote:
GeraldT wrote:no I don't ... I just couldn't help it ... if German says there is nothing of importance to me in that email, then I trust him and the matter is done.
As far as I'm concerned, the matter was settled the moment we learned about the email and that Oculus / Palmer didn't want it shared. We should just respect their decision since they're obviously acting in the best interest of their own future, and by extension the future of virtual reality.
naaa ... I am a curious person and I can't just deactivate that. I can respect their wish not to share it, but that is all. ;)
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

hammerbot wrote:
Pingles wrote: HEY! Get off the forums and get back to licking stamps for the boxes!
Was this meant as a joke or not, i still think that this sentence was incredibly rude.
I'm 100% sure it was a joke, and I'm also 100% sure it was hilarious. :P This reminds me of the challenge to post a youtube comment so ridiculous that noone will assume you are being serious. This is, of course, impossible. The comment is completely unrealistic anyway - they wouldn't possibly be having Palmer lick the stamps; what a waste of time and resources!

Dycus will be doing it.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
topas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by topas »

TheHolyChicken wrote: (....) be having Palmer lick the stamps; what a waste of time and resources!

Dycus will be doing it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chicken, i love your style ;)
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Diorama wrote:Image
:woot :woot :woot
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Diorama wrote:Image
:lol: ... that headline is perfect!
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

What do you guys think Palmer is going to think once he reads all this, he has been insulted, told to lick stamps, turned into a hobbit meme, and not to forget, shot to death. lol

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Marulu wrote:What do you guys think Palmer is going to think once he reads all this, he has been insulted, told to lick stamps, turned into a hobbit meme, and not to forget shot to death. lol
Marulu we are just softly preparing him here for the harsh reality that will hit him once he gets famous on a larger scale. If he has problems with this, then he will have to hide in VR once the consumer version is here. ;)
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

GeraldT wrote:If he has problems with this, then he will have to hide in VR once the consumer version is here. ;)
He probably is going to do just that because he previously said in the *Top Secret* Oculus VR tour video:
Palmer Luckey -2013 wrote: Ok, I love video games, I like them more than real live.

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Marulu wrote:
GeraldT wrote:If he has problems with this, then he will have to hide in VR once the consumer version is here. ;)
He probably is going to do just that because he previously said in the *Top Secret* Oculus VR tour video:
Palmer Luckey -2013 wrote: Ok, I love video games, I like them more than real live.
I have seen his stats on Steam, pretty sure he is already doing that a lot of the time. The sleep deficit in his eyes reminds me very much of the times when I was his age ... and in my case it wasn't from partying too much either. :lol:
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

GeraldT wrote:I have seen his stats on Steam, pretty sure he is already doing that a lot of the time. The sleep deficit in his eyes reminds me very much of the times when I was his age ... and in my case it wasn't from partying too much either. :lol:
His daily schedule is probably something like this:
Waking up, playing steam, playing steam while eating, dressing/washing, going to work at Oculus VR, working on the future of gaming, getting home, playing steam, checking mtbs3d, sleeping for 4 or less hours, waking up....
I also did have a period of time in my life where I lived that kind of live, and I am totally fine with someone having that kind of live style. ;)

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Marulu wrote:...and I am totally fine with someone having that kind of live style. ;)
... that made me believe more in him and his love for games. So - hell yeah!!! People that do sports all the time and have a perfect tan are suspicious :D
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Marulu wrote:What do you guys think Palmer is going to think once he reads all this, he has been insulted, told to lick stamps, turned into a hobbit meme, and not to forget, shot to death. lol
Oh, c'mon. The stamp-licking was hilarious. Can you imagine Palmer cross-legged on the floor, licking stamps for 10,000 boxes?
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

GeraldT wrote:People that do sports all the time and have a perfect tan are suspicious :D
Well, they definitely won´t invent the first good working VR head mount.. ;)

Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Pingles wrote:
Marulu wrote:What do you guys think Palmer is going to think once he reads all this, he has been insulted, told to lick stamps, turned into a hobbit meme, and not to forget, shot to death. lol
Oh, c'mon. The stamp-licking was hilarious. Can you imagine Palmer cross-legged on the floor, licking stamps for 10,000 boxes?

That post was supposed to be funny, just think about how hilarious his situation is.

Return to “Oculus VR”