DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pics!

TheLookingGlass
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pic

Post by TheLookingGlass »

Welcome back Rfurlan! I was wondering what happened to you!
Grix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Grix »

I'm thinking about building this for an awesome project, but I have a critical question.. Is it correct that if I send a regular Side-by-side image into this device, it will be viewable? I don't need any image offset or warping that the 7" rift needs, right? Does the IPD matter or will I be able to focus properly regardless? The image does have a pretty wide FOV, kinda fisheye lens effect, and both images are pretty much identical, there are no stereoscopic 3D involved (as of now).
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

TheLookingGlass wrote:Welcome back Rfurlan! I was wondering what happened to you!
This happened to me :)
http://500px.com/rodfurlan/sets

It is great to be back, and just in time to try "real" Oculus too, just got mine yesterday, so very exciting!

First impressions: light, comfortable, panel dot pitch is quite high which makes the resolution feel even lower than it is, tracking is ***terrific*** but the current sensor fusion algo doesn't handle translation so if you are prone to simulator sickness be prepared to endure some nausea.

Bottom line: I love it and I can't wait to start modding it, first experiment will be screen replacement ;)
Rod Furlan - bitcortex.com
"The first ultra-intelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make."
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Offtopic, but impressive photography, rfurlan.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

Hi rfurlan

Thanks for starting this thread. I had a lot of fun making a 5.6" diy rift using your instructions. I had never made anything like this before and your instructions were clear enough that I was able to get something very usable.

Have you found a 7" 1080p screen replacement yet?

The only thing I'm able to find are field monitors for photographers. But I don't think they're true 1080p.

Like this one: http://amzn.com/B006HB32OM
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Jose wrote:Have you found a 7" 1080p screen replacement yet?

The only thing I'm able to find are field monitors for photographers. But I don't think they're true 1080p.

Like this one: http://amzn.com/B006HB32OM
Correct!...

Resolution: 1024×600, up to 1920×1080

As is often the case, marketing still like to push the "1080p" label when all it really means is that it can accept a 1080p input and downscale it.
The 5.6" Hydis panel probably looks much better than field monitors at this price point tbh.

I think affordable 1080p panels are just around the corner, and once more smart phones start using them they can only get cheaper. ;)
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

I haven't found any good replacements yet. A handful of models do exist but they are either not available in small quantities and/or they use interfaces that are hard to work with. I am still in the lookout though!
"The first ultra-intelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make."
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

@rfulan - please let me know if you (or anyone) finds a 1080p panel with a MIPI interface that can be bought easily (if MIPI panels tend to be more common)...

If it's reasonably priced, I'll buy one right away and see if I can hook it up via an FPGA.
I'm sure this can be done, and is not quite as difficult as people think (as the MIPI conversion boards are now available).

The tricky part is actually the HDMI input.
That can be sorted by using same Realtek type controller as the Rift, but programmed for TTL / RGB output instead.

I'm definitely up for doing this if it means getting a 1080p Rift ASAP. :ugeek:

OzOnE.
P.S. Nice photos btw. Only place I've been in Asia is Bangkok for 3 days, but it was amazing.
That was the Wat Po palace wasn't it? A LOT of Gold there. lol
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

These two are the best MIPI candidates right now:
http://www.panelook.com/LS059T1SX01_SHA ... 18926.html
http://www.panelook.com/LS050T1SX01_SHA ... 17692.html

Yes, so much gold in Thailand lol :)
magixx
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by magixx »

I am planning on making something similar but using a phone with 5.7in 720p, one thing that keeps me puzzled is the type of lens needed. It seems that the ideal lens would be aspherical (convex+flat) and have a diameter from 40-50mm with a focal length the distance from the screen to where you want the lens to be, however I am unsure how to calculate this given a screen size and other variables. Any other supplies for lenses beside eBay 5x aspherical lens and the Anchor website?

Once the Lenovo K900 and Huawei Ascend Mate get released a supply of 5.5in 1080p and 6.1in screens should be available. Any 7in 1080p complete consumer monitor will not be cheap.
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

You surely wouldn't believe it: Following the motto "OP will surely deliver" , I uploaded some demos for you.
I heard that some of you are longing for new Android Head Tracking Fodder here are Three Tracking side by side demos that i'm working on:
They are all standalone and everything will be released. Quake 2 can be played with an icade controller or a bluetooth keyboard.

spumco.mine.nu/Quake2-debug.apk (Quake 2 side by side with low latency gravity corrected NDK head tracking)

spumco.mine.nu/rt3dapp-debug.apk (Proton SDK Demo Project demonstrating Model and Quake3 bsp loading with headtracking)

spumco.mine.nu/RTPhysics-debug.apk (Proton SDK Demo Project demonstrating Bullet Physics integration )

The Proton SDK Demos are based on Irrlicht engine. No 3d effect is in them now it is just side by side monocular. Im working on figuring out the best 3d Matrices.
Both Irrlicht Demos are based on Quaternions, so looking straight up and down is now problem. (Like in a flight simulator.)

These are going to be in the play store soon, but you can have them upfront if you want

Have fun.

PS Be aware that i have tried running it on S3. It has more latency than my Galaxy nexus. Possibly the Gyro chip is different , i hope it can be resolved as the S3 gyro is actually 200 Hz. instead of GNEX 100 hZ. Still my GNEX shows less latency.... I hope i can get ahold of an S3 for a while to debug it , or get somebody to debug it with theirs.

Gnex: looking good , extremely fast
S3: not so good, latency visible.
Nexus 4: looking good.

if you can please post your results

For nexus 7 the IPD is too big..
I'll figure out a way to adjust it with quake, with the Proton SDk it should be trivial.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

tek2222 wrote:...
spumco.mine.nu/Quake2-debug.apk (Quake 2 side by side with low latency gravity corrected NDK head tracking)

spumco.mine.nu/rt3dapp-debug.apk (Proton SDK Demo Project demonstrating Model and Quake3 bsp loading with headtracking)

spumco.mine.nu/RTPhysics-debug.apk (Proton SDK Demo Project demonstrating Bullet Physics integration )
I'll figure out a way to adjust it with quake, with the Proton SDk it should be trivial.
Above URLs made "clickable" (added http:// header):

http://spumco.mine.nu/Quake2-debug.apk (Quake 2 side by side with low latency gravity corrected NDK head tracking)

http://spumco.mine.nu/rt3dapp-debug.apk (Proton SDK Demo Project demonstrating Model and Quake3 bsp loading with headtracking)

http://spumco.mine.nu/RTPhysics-debug.apk (Proton SDK Demo Project demonstrating Bullet Physics integration)

I only have a Nexus 7, so adjustable IPD would be nice (config file, command line parameters, hotkeys, in-game console commands, or whatever)...

Thanks!
remosito
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by remosito »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:@rfulan - please let me know if you (or anyone) finds a 1080p panel with a MIPI interface that can be bought easily (if MIPI panels tend to be more common)...

If it's reasonably priced, I'll buy one right away and see if I can hook it up via an FPGA.
I'm sure this can be done, and is not quite as difficult as people think (as the MIPI conversion boards are now available).

l
OMG! You can do mipi? :woot

For what it's worth:
found a site stating galaxy s3 screen is mipi. that one is only 720p. but new s4 is 1080p amoled and replacement screen available online looks very similar to s3.
Maybe site is wrong. or s4 is not mipi anymore. who knows. s4 repl screen aint cheap though!

And at 5" a bit small. But samsung note 3 with 6" 1080p amoled coming in sept.

hope this all leads somewhere good and highresrifty :-)

http://bestsmartphones.us/galaxy-s4-vs-galaxy-s3/
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

I haven't been keeping up with the new panels lately, but I did see that the S4 is 1080p and it could be a good candidate (probably MIPI?).
remosito wrote:OMG! You can do mipi?
Not directly, but one of these should be able do it. :P ...

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... 0855508763
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... 4011062360

The SSD2828 apparently supports up to 1200x1920 (portrait)...
http://www.solomon-systech.com/files/ck ... roller.pdf

They do need a 24-bit RGB input, and the data rate will be very high (1080p @60Hz is around 4.5Gbps), but I'm sure the Realtek controllers can handle it.

(Most of those cheap LCD controllers have chips which support TTL RGB output. I have most of the firmware sources for the Realtek chips too. ;) )

The sellers of the MIPI adapter boards want you to buy their full dev board before they release the source code, so may require a group fund or something?
All we really need is the I2C config info for the Solomon chip though. I'll do a bit of "creative" Googling.

Hell, I'd give a 1080p panel a try on a Rift even if it means using a crappy analog VGA input. hehe

OzOnE.
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

I have uploaded a new video to demonstrate Latency.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7VNUeIj5Xc
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

tek2222 wrote:You surely wouldn't believe it: Following the motto "OP will surely deliver" , I uploaded some demos for you.
I heard that some of you are longing for new Android Head Tracking Fodder here are Three Tracking side by side demos that i'm working on:
They are all standalone and everything will be released. Quake 2 can be played with an icade controller or a bluetooth keyboard.

The Proton SDK Demos are based on Irrlicht engine. No 3d effect is in them now it is just side by side monocular. Im working on figuring out the best 3d Matrices.
Both Irrlicht Demos are based on Quaternions, so looking straight up and down is now problem. (Like in a flight simulator.)

These are going to be in the play store soon, but you can have them upfront if you want

Have fun.

PS Be aware that i have tried running it on S3. It has more latency than my Galaxy nexus. Possibly the Gyro chip is different , i hope it can be resolved as the S3 gyro is actually 200 Hz. instead of GNEX 100 hZ. Still my GNEX shows less latency.... I hope i can get ahold of an S3 for a while to debug it , or get somebody to debug it with theirs.

Gnex: looking good , extremely fast
S3: not so good, latency visible.
Nexus 4: looking good.

if you can please post your results

Excellent work mate, fingers crossed for the Nexus 7 as well.
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
Vunk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vunk »

Great demos :-) would also love to use this on my nexus 7 as the latency and quality is so much better than the splash top, tridef and free pie solution I'm currently using. I have built a few test apps with fov2go on the unity store and think this is a great alternative to the rift for now due to it being wireless and self contained.
remosito

Post by remosito »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:I haven't been keeping up with the new panels lately, but I did see that the S4 is 1080p and it could be a good candidate (probably MIPI?).
remosito wrote:OMG! You can do mipi?
Not directly, but one of these should be able do it. :P ...

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... 0855508763
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... 4011062360

The SSD2828 apparently supports up to 1200x1920 (portrait)...
http://www.solomon-systech.com/files/ck ... roller.pdf

They do need a 24-bit RGB input, and the data rate will be very high (1080p @60Hz is around 4.5Gbps), but I'm sure the Realtek controllers can handle it.

(Most of those cheap LCD controllers have chips which support TTL RGB output. I have most of the firmware sources for the Realtek chips too. ;) )

The sellers of the MIPI adapter boards want you to buy their full dev board before they release the source code, so may require a group fund or something?
All we really need is the I2C config info for the Solomon chip though. I'll do a bit of "creative" Googling.

Hell, I'd give a 1080p panel a try on a Rift even if it means using a crappy analog VGA input. hehe

OzOnE.

is this link useful to you for the hdmi to 24bit rgb?

http://ez.analog.com/thread/7145
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

remosito wrote:is this link useful to you for the hdmi to 24bit rgb?

That's a good point. It may be possible to just do a straight conversion to RGB for the MIPI chip using an HDMI receiver IC.

The LCD panels require fairly exacting timings though.
It would probably work if the PC is set to the proper res, but the Realtek type chips also have a scaler so that other resolutions can be displayed without too much hassle.

Good call though - there may be much cheaper options for getting MIPI panels working.

btw, I didn't realize how good the exchange rate for the Chinese Yuan (on that Taobao site) is...
100 Yuan is only around £10.46 GBP ($16.24 USD) atm.

So, excluding shipping, those MIPI conversion boards are only about £16.52 GBP / $25.66 USD!!
Even the FPGA dev boards around only around £63 / $97 USD, so well within reach for us.

(I don't work for them or anything, it's just amazing how expensive some stuff can be in Europe.)

I'm gonna wait for my Rift to arrive, and until the 5.9" 1080p panels become available before I buy one.

OzOnE.
NeoCortex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NeoCortex »

tek2222 wrote: if you can please post your results
i just gave your apps a try on my Samsung Galaxy S+ (i9001) running a stock 2.3.6 firmware.
RT3DApp seems to give the best results: it starts, shows the initial menu, allows me to show fps debug:
FPS 58 - M:0.0 T:1.5, A:0.00 F:0.00 Prims: 0
the 3D Animated Mesh shows a sbs / black and white dots rabbit (with 1080 Prims)
all other demos just quit the app (crash?)
RTPhysics shows menu and debug on a blueish background, IRRBullet demo just quits :(

I know there are some differences compared to other Samsung phones:
Qualcomm MSM8255T Snapdragon chipset, display is 800x480 Amoled,
it only provides magnet & accel sensors, no gyro.

Due to this missing gyro i am also experiencing problems using most other demos and tracking solutions used here (freepie et al.)
I am trying to come up with an alternative sensor fusion code using only the mag & acc sensors but havent got very far yet.

This is all sooo exciting! Lets keep that momentum and help making those VR visions (Cyberspace, Matrix, Oasis, Net, Metaverse...) come true!

Neo Cortex
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

For my apps a gyro is necessary. I will adjust the minversion of the app to include some older phones though. But im not sure how i can test this ...

I would like to move to another thread and answer questions there ... Do you have any Idea how I could do that within the MTBS forum ?

Stefan
amermahdy70
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by amermahdy70 »

I was reading this thread since the start, all the guys who build it are stars, i want to know to build DIY with 6 DOF tracker, from where i can get a tracker will work 100% with all Rift games and Vireio,
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

I have developped an Android Unity Test 3d Demonstration with SBS Rendering , the rift barrel warping is not possible due to speed :(
Right now I use the GyroDroid software to have access to the sensors, it is still slower than my Irrlicht and Ogre demos or quake , but I am tempted to make a unity Plugin that has my Head-Tracker.

Are you interested in the demo.
Im not sure if it is legal if i post content from my unity pro trial license in this forum ? or is it only forbidden to earn money?

http://imgur.com/XuHytl8
Stefan
Maotun
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Maotun »

Hillcrest Freespace FSRK-USB-2 IMU isn't available atm.They have replaced the FSM-6 with a 9 axis product called the FSM-9 and The FSM-9 will be available on the website for purchase by end of June. Only FSRK-2.4G-1 module (6 axis) in stock.
we got also 9 Degrees of Freedom - Razor IMU or YEI 3-Space Sensor USB / RS232 options. i wonder what do you suggest instead of FSRK-USB-2 IMU ?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

I have a YEI 3-Space Sensor that I don't think I will be needing, its the one that is in a strap down case with buttons and usb port.
Not sure if its against the rules to post about selling something..PM if you might want it.
remosito

Post by remosito »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:
remosito wrote:is this link useful to you for the hdmi to 24bit rgb?

That's a good point. It may be possible to just do a straight conversion to RGB for the MIPI chip using an HDMI receiver IC.

The LCD panels require fairly exacting timings though.
It would probably work if the PC is set to the proper res, but the Realtek type chips also have a scaler so that other resolutions can be displayed without too much hassle.

Good call though - there may be much cheaper options for getting MIPI panels working.

btw, I didn't realize how good the exchange rate for the Chinese Yuan (on that Taobao site) is...
100 Yuan is only around £10.46 GBP ($16.24 USD) atm.

So, excluding shipping, those MIPI conversion boards are only about £16.52 GBP / $25.66 USD!!
Even the FPGA dev boards around only around £63 / $97 USD, so well within reach for us.

(I don't work for them or anything, it's just amazing how expensive some stuff can be in Europe.)

I'm gonna wait for my Rift to arrive, and until the 5.9" 1080p panels become available before I buy one.

OzOnE.
This page: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2182432 seems to indicate Sony Xperia Z has HD Mipi panel. 2 of'em?
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Ok,

So I have just finished building my DIY rift but when trying to play games using vireio everything is tall and squashed and the graphics skew when I roll my head. This happens when vireio is in DIY rift mode. Does this happen to anyone else?

If I set it in oculus mode the aspect ratio is correct but it has huge black borders.

What else have people got working fully with their DIY rifts that I can test out.?

Matt.
tek2222
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tek2222 »

Just updated the Thingiverse version to 2.1 !
Chris7185
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chris7185 »

Hello....
I am christian from Germany

I'm amazed about the smart phone googles and tried to built my own but I have two problems.
Firstly, I pushed the gun, in quake, wit gun_y "15" forward. The gun arm is not moving realistically now. In the development video you can see a lot of arm with gun too but it's not moving like mine?
Secondly, I have copied the start video from quake 2 to my googles. It works great for the left eye. however, I can see the right top corner 9 times on the right eye. How can I improve and make it better? I hope someone can help me because I'm a total quake 2 fan and it's nearly perfect without these two things. I would be very thankful if you will be able to help me with this two problems that I've encounter.
Best regards Christian

rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

Great news, OculusVR has a 1080p prototype - does anyone know which screen they are using? :)
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

rfurlan wrote:Great news, OculusVR has a 1080p prototype - does anyone know which screen they are using? :)
I thought you were supposed to tell us....you look like the guy that started this thread... :D

Nothing gets done when you are away.... :mrgreen:
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

rfurlan wrote:Great news, OculusVR has a 1080p prototype - does anyone know which screen they are using? :)
Could it be the LG LH550WF1?

5.5", 1920x1080, 8-bit, MIPI.
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

Inscothen wrote:
Could it be the LG LH550WF1?

5.5", 1920x1080, 8-bit, MIPI.
I guess it could. If it isn't a MIPI panel there is hope for using it as an upgrade for a DIY or a dev unit, fingers crossed!
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

Chalk-Elec designs electronics. They created a low cost($35), open HDMI-LVDS bridge. If DIYers are looking to upgrade the rift, maybe contact them to see if they have experience with MIPI and maybe create a forward looking hdmi-XXXX bridge supporting even higher resolution and refresh rate panels. I'd imagine they'd be able to better source and bundle screens too.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

I have now got my DIY Rift fully working so thought i'd share some pictures.

This still isn't going to be the final version yet, I'm now going to try and shrink everything down a bit as there is a bit of wasted space at the moment. I also need to make it a bit more comfortable around the nose area but for a first attempt I think it turned out alright.

I used the 5.6inch screen from vitrolight and the 7 in 1 board which I cut down to size. I then made an HDMI->LVDS cable to link the control box up to the headset. The lenses were the 5cm Aspherics that were originally recommended.

For the tracking I used the Sparkfun 9DOF sensor which was flashed with the Razor AHRS Firmware. This is then used with FreePIE and Vireio for playing Skyrim etc.

Anyway here it is!

Matt.
RescueGamer
Cross Eyed!

Post by RescueGamer »

Awesome job!! did you solve finally the problem with DIY mode on vireio? I recived today my 7inch screen and i want to start building my DIY, you did anything special to adjust de lenses?
rfurlan
Cross Eyed!

Post by rfurlan »

What a beautiful build Croccy22!
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

rfurlan wrote:What a beautiful build Croccy22!
Thanks :). I quite happy with it so far. I think I can make it a bit shorter now I have completed it so that should move the center of gravity closer to your face. It feel quite comfortable now with the headband going across the top but I still think its possible to remove the weigth off the nose a bit.

Spent about an hour playing Half Life 2 earlier and after a while I completely forgot i was wearing it!

I will put all the STL files and Sketchup files on thingiverse once I have finished tweaking. That way people can modify them for their own components if they like.

Matt.
remosito

Post by remosito »

A quick question to all the electronics gurus on here:

Does this http://www.quicklogic.com/reference-designs/cub-system/ look like it might be useful to hook up one of these:
http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-htc-but ... creen.html
http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-htc-but ... guide.html
http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-htc-but ... guide.html

Supports RGB to MIPI, RGB to LVDS, MIPI to RGB, MIPI to LVDS, and MIPI to MIPI Display Bridging with VEE and DPO
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

I think that HTC 5" panel is the Sharp LS050T1SX01 that rfurlan mentioned in April . I read about an HTC screen made by Sharp. That may be what Oculus put in it's new prototype.

http://rootzwiki.com/news/_/articles/su ... lays-r1184

I know the Texas Instruments TFP401A is a panelbus(DVI) receiver ic that accepts up to 1920x1200 60hz HDMI/DVI, does anyone know of any chip that can take its output and bridge it to MIPI? maybe we could have someone design a controller for this panel.

There's also the Toshiba HDMI to MIPI TC358743XBG but I would imagine it'd be harder to source this chip than Texas Instruments.
Last edited by Inscothen on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Oculus VR”