DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pics!

TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pic

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Sounds fantastic!

Could you describe how difficult this is likely to be to install? I'm super interested in upgrading the panel, but I have zero experience with this kind of thing so I'd be forced to pass if it's not straightforward, as I wouldn't want to risk my precious Rift. :o
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Erm.... pass! lol

I'm hoping to make it as painless as possible.
The small MIPI board will have to go behind the panel, but the new panels are VERY thin compared to the older ones.

I'm not sure yet, but I think it will have the HDMI receiver chip directly on the MIPI board too, and we'll have to finalize the tracker USB passthrough stuff when my Rift arrives.

The connection to the tracker shouldn't be difficult as it's just a standard 4-pin plug by the looks of it.

Oh, actually, that's what I needed to ask...
Many of these newer panels are scanned in portrait mode, so we need to know if the Rift SDK / demos / games will still render OK with the image rotated?

I'm guessing it does this at the card / driver level, so shouldn't affect the rendering?
I'm intending to try this out on my GTX 670 today, but I'm wondering how to test this?

The problem is, for the PC to know it's a portrait panel, I guess the EDID will need to say 1080x1920 instead of 1920x1080?
I'm praying this won't turn into a giant hurdle, otherwise it will require a fair bit of FPGA design and will increase the kit price accordingly.

We're also looking for any people experienced in VHDL / Verilog FPGA coding who would be able to help with the image rotation stuff (if necessary).
If anyone knows any good coders, please let me know. Another one of my tasks today is to ask other forums / people about this.

I'm sure these issues can be overcome though. :ugeek:

(btw, I've just ordered the connectors for the new panels, so now we have all the bits for testing both the 5" and 5.5" versions).

EDIT: Just had an update that 7" panels were ordered a while ago, but haven't arrived yet. So, we can test those as well soon.
That should settle the argument about FOV vs PPI vs VIP vs KIA vs VP vs KP... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_aiDDU5z18

OzOnE.
bizarrobrian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bizarrobrian »

Sounds great. Count me in whenever this shakes out. Are you planning on publishing directions or selling conversion kits for this?
shavster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shavster »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:
I'm certainly not worried about stripping down my shiny new Rift when it arrives if it means getting 1080p sorted.
I'm in the UK and hoping to have mine in a couple of weeks. Really interested in what you've potentially achieved here!

I'm defiantly up for modding mine when it arrives.

Keep up the awesome work...
shavster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shavster »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:
I'm certainly not worried about stripping down my shiny new Rift when it arrives if it means getting 1080p sorted.
I'm in the UK and hoping to have mine in a couple of weeks. Really interested in what you've potentially achieved here!

I'm defiantly up for modding mine when it arrives.

Keep up the awesome work...
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

bizarrobrian wrote:Sounds great. Count me in whenever this shakes out. Are you planning on publishing directions or selling conversion kits for this?
It will probably be with directions if by conversion kit you meant a full piece that just clips in place where the original front part went?

There won't be any custom plastics stuff or anything like that.
It'll be the new panel with MIPI board on the back, and possibly a new cable which goes through where the original one did.

It would be nice to use the existing Rift cable for HDMI + USB, but that would require a second adapter board at the controller box end.

I suppose that would make things easier though, as you'd just need to remove the old controller board, then fit the new adapter inside.
USB will then still pass through to the tracker.

We'll have to see. It's just difficult for me to visualize without having the physical items in front of me.
Some work will need to be done to make it relatively simple to swap out.

It might even be a case of using the existing cable for USB passthrough, then having a separate thin HDMI cable tied to it which goes to the HMD.
Or, HDMI and USB tied together direct to the HMD, but then we'd need to get power to it all anyway. hmmm

The new panel should be low power enough to do it all through USB, so maybe no controller box will be needed / seen?

Or, could be done by using a standard HDMI cable to pass USB (like I did in my guide)?
That way, people could use any length of cable they want. Only problem is the risk to other equipment if it's plugged in accidently.
(Although, the way I did the pinouts was meant to minimize the risk by re-using say the +5V pin for the same purpose.)

What does everyone think?
I'm worried that supplying a whole new custom cable loom will add a lot to the price, and we don't really want to be soldering tons of wires manually either.

atm, it's sounding like using the existing Rift cable with custom adapters at each end is the way to go.
The MIPI board could be made with the same type of connectors on it, so it will be an easy swap.

USB / HDMI / power adapter will then replace the stock control box.

OzOnE.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

OzOnE2k10,
I am not just saying this, because I want a 1080p screen ASAP.
I really think whatever is the least amount of work for you and also gets these 1080p screens out the door the fastest, is the way to go.
Everyday lost, is a day closer to the consumer Rift and the whole point of this, is to have a Diy 1080p Rift before the consumer version is released and also have some time to enjoy it before the consumer version is released.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

3dvison wrote:OzOnE2k10,
I am not just saying this, because I want a 1080p screen ASAP.
I really think whatever is the least amount of work for you and also gets these 1080p screens out the door the fastest, is the way to go.
Everyday lost, is a day closer to the consumer Rift and the whole point of this, is to have a Diy 1080p Rift before the consumer version is released and also have some time to enjoy it before the consumer version is released.
Yep, I agree.

The problem is making sure that the average person will be able to fit the upgrade relatively easily.
I know what you mean though, I'd like everyone to experience a 1080p Rift without being tempted to wait for the consumer version (which could be over a year away).

I just need my damned Rift so I can figure out the connector pinouts! lol

Shouldn't be long now my status page has changed to processing. No shipping confirmation yet though.

OzOnE.
JustJoshin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JustJoshin »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Shouldn't be long now my status page has changed to processing. No shipping confirmation yet though.
Geez I know that feeling. I just got my rift a week or so ago and there was a bit of a stuff up with my local courier and post office. Turns out I was waiting an extra 3 days when they had it sitting at the post office all along :evil:

I will be following this DIY upgrade thread closely. I would love for someone to come up with the exact parts and upgrade instructions for installing at 1080p screen in the dev kit.
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

OzOnE2k10,

I know this is a bit premature but I would like to get my name on the list immediately to purchase and install one of your kits. I have quite a bit of experience in electronic manufacturing so installing will not be an issue for me. Please send me a PM of how I can sign up.

I am VERY interested in this.

-Steve
thewolf20
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thewolf20 »

stevetb wrote:OzOnE2k10,

I know this is a bit premature but I would like to get my name on the list immediately to purchase and install one of your kits. I have quite a bit of experience in electronic manufacturing so installing will not be an issue for me. Please send me a PM of how I can sign up.

-Steve
Me too, please. But do we have to solder?
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

OzOnE2k10,

One thing to consider too is that there are 15,000+ developer kits which have been delivered. Of those I am pretty sure 99% of the users want to see an upgrade kit. Make sure when you price this to tack a few bucks (typically 10% above Cost of Goods Sold) on there for your trouble and it will be worth your while financially. This is a very good opportunity for you right now since no one has made a DK Screen Upgrade Kit.

I also sent a PM with my contact information. Let me know if you need anything else to be an Alpha tester for your design. Cash in hand :)

-Steve
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

(Idea)...You could even ship out an early batch for the "Die Hard Diy people" who would be happy with just getting the screen and driver board in their hands and they will find a way to Strap, Tape, Glue or Bubble Gum it into their Rifts one way or another.

OK, I do sound like I want it too much...LOL..But I do think the above is still true...After all, My mouse is 90% duct tape...

And Steve is right about the money, So if you did do an early Diy batch for Diy people, it should still be full price. It would be about getting it to those people fast, not about getting it to them cheaper.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Yes, that's a good point, @3dvision.

I'm sure many of you will find a way to install the new panel(s), even if you used a great dollop of Bluetack. :lol:

I'm getting a few PM requests for people to be put on the "list" already, so I think it's important to point something out...

To be completely honest, I don't know how much involvement I'll have in this project soon, as I'm no longer the person looking to produce the adapters / kits directly.
I'm hoping that Daniel will want to work with me on getting the kits sorted, but he might as well sell them directly tbh.

(not sure why I tried to keep it a mystery, as I'd previously mentioned that Daniel was working on this. lol).

All I really did initially was to ask around to see if people wanted to produce the adapters (after I got stuck with my crappy design on Eagle), and it all kind of lead on from there.

I've only paid for some of the connectors so far, and Daniel has spent far more on buying some sample screens etc.
I'm just happy to have got people motivated / inspired on this, so we can all experience a 1080p Rift very soon. :)

So, until I know more - There is no "reservation list" as such! :shock:
Sorry guys, but it's a bit too early in the process atm for me to know how the kits and sales will work etc.

What I need to do now is to make sure the SDK / games will run fine with a portrait display. I might have to make my own custom EDID?

I also need to see if the original Rift cable could be re-used.

OzOnE.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

thewolf20 wrote:
stevetb wrote:OzOnE2k10,

-Steve
Me too, please. But do we have to solder?
I'm hoping to make it a straight swap if possible, Mr Wolf. ;)

You can imagine how frustrating it is for me waiting for my Rift though, as it's not only about experiencing it. lol
I've known all along that I wanted to get the physical device in my grubby hands so I can look at upgrading the panel and produce kits if possible.

The suspense was killing me for a few months, so I had to put it completely out of my mind for a while.

Would it be a problem if people had to have the HDMI and USB cables strapped together at first?
It sounds like that's the direction the adapters are going in, 'cos we can't test the real thing to find the pinouts.

Unless somebody would kindly offer to open their Rift and work out the pinouts? (don't think that will happen any time soon. lol)

You can see most of the panel pinouts in some of the teardowns (we already know the pinout anyway), but it's the cable pinout we need.
That way, we can use the original cable for the direct HDMI link (instead of LVDS from the stock controller), and pass USB as normal.

The camera guy must have been drunk in this one. :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ9w2ihEHxQ

"New" teardown vid here. Photos have been on iFixit for a while though...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFm3oTqjMMo

I think it should be viable to power the Rift via USB btw.
Problem with that is the cable would plug directly into the PC (instead of through the controller box), so if you have a desktop, it might shorten the cable a fair amount.

"Questions, Mr Wayne? Too many questions!" (The Riddler) :mrgreen:

OzOnE.
Last edited by OzOnE2k10 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

OzOnE2k10 wrote: Would it be a problem if people had to have the HDMI and USB cables strapped together at first?
OzOnE.
I think that would be fine.
You can get very,very thin and very flexible HDMI cables now a days.

I use this(Redmere) HDMI cable with my rift and it is great.
A Redmere Hdmi cable is a one direction type of cable but that is OK for Rift use. One end goes to the display (That's the end with the RedMere chip in it) and the other end goes to the source.

http://www.amazon.com/SonicBlitz-Perfor ... le+redmere
Inscothen
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Inscothen »

Thanks for the updates OzOnE.

The 5" panel is too small unless really nearsighted(worse than -4 diopter correction) and even then, the horizontal would still be cutoff. We should focus on the LG 5.5" and larger for use with the Rift lenses.

The USB direct from HMD to pc length shouldn't be that much of a problem(up to 10 feet for USB and 15 feet for USB2 signal).

I think we should focus on just a panel/circuit solution and not an upgrade kit(at least initially). If an uograde kit is sold it should be a drop in replacement and that would increase costs quite a bit.

We need to find out how to change the parameters stored on the tracker or controlbox so we can use the screen updated Rift to work with games automatically. Anyone can rebuild the SDK/oculus world demo to see how the updated resolution and aspect ratio affects stereo offsetting for the new dimensions without the sensor connected. To get half life 2 to work for example, the games have to read the updated Rift stored parameters.
goodl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by goodl »

I've been noting this thread with interest since I watched the video capture output from the rift video from vr cinema on my iPhone 4 with the flattest cups from the rift. I felt like I'd crossed into the matrix, I'm now so hopelessly
stoked for the 1080p rift it's almost painful now. Some things you aren't meant to see yet.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Is there a 7-inch screen in the running ?
That would be better for Horizontal FOV.
vrvision
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vrvision »

Is it possible to use this screen ? http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-lg-opti ... creen.html
Specs: 5.5 inches LCD
Resolution:1080 x 1920 pixels
Pixel density: 401ppi
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

That's the LG 5.5" screen that some of us are talking about. That one is used in the Rift 1080p prototype.
JustJoshin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JustJoshin »

So it seems like most of the talk at the moment is around this 5.5" LG panel (1080x1920) and the nexus 2nd generation 7" (1920x1200)? I wonder which of the two would be an easier upgrade path for the devkit?
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

3dvison wrote:Is there a 7-inch screen in the running ?
That would be better for Horizontal FOV.
AFAIK, Daniel has one on it's way to him. I'm assuming he already has a board design for it.
Actually, the main difference between these MIPI panels is the physical connector, which current / voltage the backlight runs at, and which other power supplies it needs.

I'd really like to see the difference between the 5.5" and 7" panels on the Rift.
I don't have many preconceptions tbh, as I've never tried a Rift.

I like the idea of having a more compact HMD if possible. I feel that the rather large looking Dev Kit puts the average person off a bit.

Yep, that's the LG panel we were looking at. Daniel has ordered a few for testing (as well as the 5" Sharp and 7" thingybob).
I bought some connectors for the LG too (slight overkill of 15 connectors at 2 USD each, but I'm sure he will make use of them.)

Time will tell. I don't think it will be long before he has them up-and-running.
He also wants to use them for his normal Digital Cinema / HD movie customers.

Oh, that's what I meant to say...
As far as I understand it, these board designs won't be Rift specific as such (no connectors for plugging into the stock DK cable).
So, I'll / we'll have to do a bit of research into how best to fit the upgrade etc.

I may have to get some simple boards made up which will replace the stock control box PCB, plus another small adapter for the HMD end?

The same goes for Chalk Elec I think.
They're apparently still working on their MIPI adapter design?
JustJoshin wrote:So it seems like most of the talk at the moment is around this 5.5" LG panel (1080x1920) and the nexus 2nd generation 7" (1920x1200)? I wonder which of the two would be an easier upgrade path for the devkit?
I don't think one will be much easier than the other regarding the upgrade.

Then again, the 7" Nexus panel might not quite fit?
I'd guess that most of the newer panels are a lot thinner with a smaller bezel, but I'm not entirely sure about the Nexus?

(Rift still not arrived. :cry: Do most people tend to get a shipping notification first, or do many of the dev kits arrive before that anyway?)

OzOnE.
JustJoshin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JustJoshin »

OzOnE2k10 wrote: (Rift still not arrived. :cry: Do most people tend to get a shipping notification first, or do many of the dev kits arrive before that anyway?)
OzOnE.
I hope you get your Rift soon OzOnE. I guess that would depend on where you live wouldn't it? My feeling is that it may vary a little from country to country. I live in Australia and received my 'your order has been shipped email' a day after it had arrived :lol:
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

!!!!!!!!!! IT'S HERE !!!!!!!!!! :woot :mrgreen:

The damned thing actually arrived. I can't believe it.

I already had a parcel early this morning, and jumped up to answer the door, but it was a boring tape backup drive.

It rang again literally two minutes ago (10:42am UK), and my Spidey sense were tingling.

UPS truck, signed the electronic thingy, NO TAX to pay !! :D

Anyway, I'll be stuck in the realm of Oculus for a few hours, then I'll have to bring myself to tearing it apart. :cry:

"Oculus order will be advancing to 'Processing' status in the next 24-48 hours." e-mail received Monday 22nd July @ 6:54pm.

Delivered to the doorstep via UPS (NO TAX!) on Monday 29th July @ 10:42am.

OzOnE.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Delivered to the doorstep via UPS (NO TAX!) on Monday 29th July @ 10:42am.

OzOnE.
Great news! :D

We are looking forward to great things from you, inspired by actually having a live specimen of the elusive Oculus Rift in your hands. ;)

Be careful to not kill it during vivisection! :lol:
Last edited by geekmaster on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
JustJoshin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JustJoshin »

Haha awesome news OzOnE. Enjoy :lol:

I concur with geekmaster, we are looking forward too big things from you :D
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Errrrrrrrrrr, tiny teensy bit motion sick. :(

Might be just that I've been rushing around tidying up 'cos we have another damned house viewing today.
As usual, the timing couldn't be worse. Didn't even get chance to try the Rift until about an hour ago.

UPDATE: 30th July - Definitely a bit motion sick. :cry:
I just tried MOTM for about five minutes, and I start to feel queasy almost right away.
It's probably because I'm moving too fast using the keyboard (haven't plugged in the 360 receiver yet).
I was also strafing quite a lot because the keys don't follow your head direction? Probably NOT a good idea I'm guessing? lol

A bit disappointed, 'cos I honestly thought I'd be fine. I don't usually have this problem and it's been years since I felt like this so soon.
I almost got to the point of getting cold sweats within a couple of minutes. hmmm

The monitor I'm using only has a VGA input, and I've lost my DVI adapter.
The Rift is working great, I just can't see everything on the desktop atm unless I remove the cups.

First impressions - really good!
Screendoor about what I was expecting, but as many people have said, it doesn't kill the effect completely.
Once you start settling in or looking round, the screendoor isn't that bad.

The resolution doesn't detract much either, but yeah, it's the first thing you'll want to improve on for long-term viewing.

Motion blur really isn't that bad at all. It's not as if you're constantly moving in many of the demos, and it doesn't leave "trails" as such.
I can safely say that my initial assumptions were correct - I think people were expecting too much from a Dev Kit tbh.
The blur isn't a deal breaker at all, it's perfectly good enough for development.

The tracking definitely feels different on the Oculus World demo compared to the Sixense version, but not by a massive amount.
(I haven't updated them yet though, these downloads are from about three months ago.)

Tracking is superb.
If you tilt your head back and look at the REAL wall for comparison, the virtual wall (in Tuscany) tends to "lead" your head movement for a split second, but very promptly "snaps" back into alignment. It's not really the type of lag that would bother you, it really is very smooth and very well done.

In other words, it's quite close to "locking" to real-World alignment. Quite an achievement in coding for some relatively standard accelerometers.

First thing is that I had to wind out the screen slightly 'cos the lenses were touching my eyeballs.
Second thing is that because I was running around and already quite sweaty, the lenses steamed up pretty much right away.
Once I'd cleaned them and cooled down a bit it's OK.

Oh, the foam stuff stinks btw. Might be why I'm a little bit dizzy. lol

The main feeling is how it's confuses your brain, so if you're standing up you tend to sway around a bit when moving (even in Sixense Tuscany).
The sense of scale is fantastic. The 3D effect is good, but not in-your-face unless you get up close to stuff (I think a higher res panel will improve the 3D a lot).

(eg. When walking past the plant pots in Tuscany, they're much taller than you imagine on a normal monitor.)

With positional tracking, it will be great to be able to lean over railings and stuff like that.
Can't wait to try the Helicopter demo later (using a Hydra for tracking).

I then tried OceanRift for a few minutes and it's very nice. I just sat there on the floor for a while and looked at the bubbles.
I knew the sharks / whales were around, but it still makes you jump a bit when one creeps up on you. :shock:

I did feel a tiny bit queasy when using the mouse to look around though.
You have to get used to using your head to look around (which again, a lot of people have said. The mouse is simply too fast in most cases, and makes you feel weird).

Only tried about 20 minutes total, but I'll take a break now and grab a cup of tea.
I do feel a very mild amount of nausea, which I wasn't really expecting.

I don't generally get ill on rollercoasters, I love modern coasters (did the whole Universal LA, and Uni / Disney Florida thing a few years back).

I was only ever sick once after being on one of those stupid round cage things which pins you to the sides.
(This was at a crappy local fairground, where the Diesel fumes from the exhaust are blowing in your face for ten minutes.)

I think I just need to eat something, drink some juice, then come back to it later.
I'll be tearing it apart tonight anyway. lol

The A cups seem to be fine for me.
I haven't tried the others yet, but I can tell it's in focus (I'm only +0.25 astig on the right eye apparently).

Very promising stuff, but I'm even more determined to upgrade the screen now.
With the physical HMD in hand, I don't think it will be too bad.
The original cable is a bit short though, so I might look at going the HDMI cable route.

People would need to be sure they don't plug the wrong cable in though.

The package itself is fantastic! :P A lot of care and thought went into the Dev Kit.
Props to the Oculus guys, really a job well done. If you carry on like this, the future is bright for you guys (and deservedly so).

OK, food time now, then will strap in for the Rift Coaster demo. ;)
I'll let everyone know if the slight nausea goes away (don't want to put anyone off, I think I'm just low on sugar).

Don't worry, the 1080p thing is still at the front of my mind.
I'll be finding pinouts and connector types later on.

OzOnE.
Last edited by OzOnE2k10 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

OzOnE2k10 wrote: Don't worry, the 1080p thing is still at the front of my mind.
I'll be finding pinouts and connector types later on.

OzOnE.
YES....

I was also like you when I got mine, You love it, but thoughts of 1080p get stronger each day.
In fact, VR cinema pulls the 1080p thought right into your front driveway and honks the horn a few times...LOL
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Leave it out of the case. It takes a good week to die down.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

KBK wrote:
Leave it out of the case. It takes a good week to die down.
Yep, it's getting better every few hours. Not so smelly now.

OK, rather interesting thing I just found (well, might have been mentioned before, but I haven't seen it).

I haven't ripped the HMD apart yet, but I'm 92.8% sure the pinout will be the same as at the controller box end.
By pausing this teardown vid, you can work out the pinouts quite easily (once the drunk cameraman has stopped messing about!)...
http://youtu.be/oJ9w2ihEHxQ?t=6m47s

Here are the pinouts so far, but I need to confirm them on the HMD to double-check...

1. +3V3
2. +3V3
3. LVDS 0- (from RTD2483, pin 95)
4. LVDS 0+ (from RTD2483, pin 94)
5. LVDS 1- (from RTD2483, pin 93)
6. LVDS 1+ (from RTD2483, pin 92)
7. GND
8. LVDS 2- (from RTD2483, pin 91)
9. LVDS 2+ (from RTD2483, pin 90)
10. GND
11. LVDS C- (from RTD2483, pin 89)
12. LVDS C+ (from RTD2483, pin 88)
13. LVDS 3- (from RTD2483, pin 87)
14. LVDS 3+ (from RTD2483, pin 86)
15. GND
16. Panel_ON (from RTD2483, pin 55)
17. BL ADJ (Backlight Adjust / PWM) - (from RTD2483, pin 114)
18. CABC_IN (from RTD2483, pin 94)
19. +3V3
20. +3V3

Confirmed that pins 19 and 20 are definitely for 3V3 power, and are connected directly to pins 1 and 2.
So, the only Ground pins are on 7, 10, and 15.

(tbh, I should have worked them out ages ago from the teardown, but I guess things are different when you have something to physically test?)

btw, the USB is only four pins, so very simple to figure out.

OK, the interesting thing is "CABC_IN". I just found out that CABC is Content Adaptive Backlight Control !!...
http://www.ecnmag.com/articles/2010/04/ ... ht-control

I'm just about to put the o'scope on the pins to see if the DK is even using this signal.
Very cool that it has this pin though as it should allow direct control over the backlight (kind of like the PWM pin on other panels like the Hydis, but this could be analog?).

CABC assumes that the image is being boosted when the backlight dims (to save power), but that would assume the Realtek chip is processing the image.
The Realtek can do some LUT (look-up-table) based gamma correction stuff, but I'm not sure about it's real-time power?

I'm doubtful it's even controlling the backlight via CABC, and only uses PWM for the average backlight brightness when you use the brightness buttons?

Anyway, good stuff.

I should be able to use these pins to do backlight pulsing (finally), and see if it reduces the blurring somewhat.
(As I say, the blurring and screendoor really isn't that bad as I was expecting, but I'm quickly realizing that the resolution is quite low.)

More soon. ;)

OzOnE.
Last edited by OzOnE2k10 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

OK, the BL_ADJ pin is just the PWM pin for brightness....

When you use the brightness buttons on the box, it simply changes the duty cycle from about 20% up to 97% to adjust the backlight brightness.
(The frequency of the PWM is fixed at ~1KHz.)

I haven't noticed anything changing on the CABC pin yet, but it requires four pairs of hands to hold the 'scope probe on and use the PC at the same time (to change the image).

Also, I think pins 19 and 20 may actually be for 3V3 power as well, so I'll update the previous post when that's confirmed.

OzOnE.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

the realtek has no frame buffering, IIRC (part of the reason behind it's choice), so there is good odds it does not do any backlight control games.

I could be wrong, but it is near impossible to check on this as the realtek chip manuals are very slim on the ground. I found my first one, just the other day, after 4-5 months of keeping an eye out for one (and the odd search).
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Ahhh, I think I can help you there.

Can't be bothered to keep it on PM's any more (this is public anyway)...
http://dfiles.eu/files/u92ym0mh4

Quite a lot more where that came from, just uploading now. ;)

OzOnE.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Almost finished downloading the first one..is the second the same?

OK. I see.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

I don't think it contains the specific config files for the RTD2483 in the Rift DK, but there's tons of info in there (took me forever to get it to download).

There's also a very simple programming jig you can build to experiment with (might want to back up the original firmware somehow first).

It's really just an I2C bus EEPROM which stores the code.
Many of the controller boards are set up so they can be programmed via the VGA ports, so it might be similar on the DVI port on the DK? I'll have to trace those pinouts as well.

It would be great if we could reprogram the DK controller.
Again, this is something I mentioned in a thread months ago, but never got around to it.

I don't have the datasheet for the RTD2483 either yet, but the 2660 seems quite similar (pinouts are close).

I got my Mum and other family members to try the Rift today.
I didn't think they'd be that impressed, but they loved it! :)

My brother loved the Rift Coaster, but I put Mum on OceanRift and Tuscany for a while.

My Great Nephew tried Tuscany with the Hydra and it was difficult to get him to take off the Rift after a while. lol

OzOnE.
CharlesK
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CharlesK »

Just finished my diy rift today using a 5.6 inch lcd. it's the most ghetto looking rift i think i've seen but it does the job including head tracking. screendoor is really not that bad. i have more problems getting my computer to run at 60 fps ingame. i'll post some pictures up later. it's really exciting :D

EDIT: here's my masterpiece.

9 DOF on top, arduino on the side, screen driver on the front.

Screen buttons on the other side.

Actual screen, the housing i used was the box my arduino came in from china. the moment i saw it i knew what it was going to be used for. screen fit perfectly

First test to see if the lenses were placed correctly (just an image i found on google, not ingame.)

Picture through the lens. it's a pitty it came out blurry, i can read the debug just fine when i'm looking through it.

all in all, it cost me about 200$ to make. now i have to make a headstrap and something to block outside light.
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Hey that looks pretty neat!!! :mrgreen:

Is the sensor the GY-85, or 86? How does it perform? I just got the nano arduino v3. Maybe you can get that one and drop some of weigh off your unit.

What software is it compatible with?

I'm having problems with my Yei 3space Sensor at the moment.

I am updating the built of my unit here:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

Looking good mate!! :D
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
JustJoshin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JustJoshin »

Great job Charles!

What resolution/panel did you choose?

Btw, it might not look like much but there is a certain level of personal satisfaction that comes with a DIY job so nice work!

Return to “Oculus VR”