Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Zoide
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by Zoide »

I just realized that there is a Wikipedia article for the Oculus Rift. However, it's pretty outdated. For example, it says that nobody knows what the dials are for (they are for moving the screen closer/farther away from the eyes) and that there is no diopter adjustment (actually there are 3 different eye cups for that).

It would be great if someone at Oculus could update it with the latest official info.

Thanks
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Isnt a company editing their own wikipedia article considered conflict of interest? Just curious
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

you can edit the article yourself if you want. anyone can :-)
German

Post by German »

Evenios wrote: or heck had pmd Palmer when he first talked about it and said "Hey ill give you 300 bucks on paypal will you make sure i get in one of the first batches for Dev Kits?
Some of us got to do this since he took orders before Kickstarter. :anaglyph
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

German wrote:
Evenios wrote: or heck had pmd Palmer when he first talked about it and said "Hey ill give you 300 bucks on paypal will you make sure i get in one of the first batches for Dev Kits?
I'm hoping that by some pure chance of just shear awesomeness, somehow the pre-kickstarters get theirs shipped early.

I just mentioned the Rift to a few friends tonight, some gamers some not. All were completely blown away by the concept, how awesome it sounded and were all begging me to let them know as SOON as it came in the mail. I think this goes to show how unknown the Rift actually is outside the super techy communitee, or people who don't research gaming trends often. Cannot wait to demo this to everyone and help spread the word!
Mindvent
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mindvent »

Alkapwn wrote:
German wrote:
I'm hoping that by some pure chance of just shear awesomeness, somehow the pre-kickstarters get theirs shipped early.

I just mentioned the Rift to a few friends tonight, some gamers some not. All were completely blown away by the concept, how awesome it sounded and were all begging me to let them know as SOON as it came in the mail. I think this goes to show how unknown the Rift actually is outside the super techy communitee, or people who don't research gaming trends often. Cannot wait to demo this to everyone and help spread the word!
Yeah, all my friends who I have explained the Rift to have been :o

Sounds like there are many of us who will be having Rift demo parties when they arrive :D
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

Same here, I've got my entire workplace excited about the Rift, I'll be brining in one of my gaming computers (ITX setup so it's fairly portable) so they can try the Rift out with some high quality content.

I think once more people try it, there are going to be MILLIONS of people begging to get the consumer version released as soon as possible.

But as they say, first impressions are everything, so we have to be careful to use high quality demo content to give people the best first impression possible.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Zoide wrote:I just realized that there is a Wikipedia article for the Oculus Rift. However, it's pretty outdated. For example, it says that nobody knows what the dials are for (they are for moving the screen closer/farther away from the eyes) and that there is no diopter adjustment (actually there are 3 different eye cups for that).

It would be great if someone at Oculus could update it with the latest official info.

Thanks
Nobody at Oculus is allowed to edit it. They have to wait for one of us to do it. I've been editing it occasionally, but not recently. Anyone (who isn't the subject of the article) who notices something wrong on Wikipedia can edit it and correct it quickly and easily.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

2EyeGuy wrote:Nobody at Oculus is allowed to edit it. They have to wait for one of us to do it.
Absent any wiki editing experience myself, I find it extremely strange that the link to Palmer's name is still red (i.e., empty). I have half a mind to write a completely fantastical accounting of his life in hopes that, years from now, some vaguely Chuck-Norris-meme-level nonsense about him stubbornly persists, but I really should be working on something more serious instead. :lol:

This thread has seen more tangents than perhaps any other in the history of message boards, so one more can't hurt: I heard a rumor that "2EyeGuy" is the MTBS3D alias of a certain Carl Kenner. No need to confirm, but I happen to admire the man's willingness to mix his personal politics (most of which I share; MTBS3D is not the place for further comments) with one of the most impressive pieces of hobbyist software yet published. Few of us here aren't indebted to GlovePIE, indeed, that project I really should be working on would be at a demoralizing dead end without it. If he's you, kudos; many of us are also keenly interested in the ongoing work with Dolphin, and whatever else you may yet cook up to contribute to this VR renaissance you so crucially helped populate with functioning experimental peripherals. :D
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

I'm editing some minor things. I'm introducing "claimed to be" to article. It is not supposed to be a press release.

Edit: done.
This member owns things.
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

I've got a ton of friends who's common interest is tech and gaming, and essentially none of them were following Oculus closely. One, just yesterday, who is a huge gamer, when I told him about rift, said "oh, that headset that you wear to play games...yeah, yeah, I think I've heard of something like that." However, I called my dad to tell him about Oculus., he's a 70-year-old retiree who was begged to go back to work in defense electronics, so he back to 50hours a week. He worked on the first drone projects and awesomely cool battlefield digitization tech and lots of things that when I ask him about and he will change the subject, etc. He does not game at all, but he's really into building and flying RC helicopters. When I told him about it Rift, he IMMEDIATELY knew what I was talking about and knew a lot about it already! He started picking my brain on specs, etc.!!!! He actually came up with a fun development project that I just might take him up on if I can find the time. (A simulation-related project for hobbyists, not for military application :-) )

Anyway, Im dying to demo Rift for some of my hardcore gamer buddies who can't wrap their brains around it. I'm not minding the wait for mine to come, as I'm sure the software out there will be a bit more mature by the time it gets here and I'm a little daunted by Unity at the moment, coming from stuff from 10-15 year ago. Thank god logic hasn't changed!
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Hey Oculus, good luck at GDC! Frankly, I'm convinced you don't even need it - you've got the most capable and exciting HMD the consumer world has ever seen, the VR community is fully behind you, developers and gamers everywhere are watching with keen interest, and the gaming and technology press are utterly entranced by the possibilities. Oculus is going to be the belle of the ball at GDC, and it's not even cause for nervousness - you're going to be talking to fellow tech-heads, hackers, and game enthusiasts about awesome stuff you know backwards and forwards, all you have to do is tell the unvarnished truth and everyone who's just meeting you will come to love you as much as we do. Calm yourselves, remember that confidence flows from exactly the sort of position you're in if you let it, walk away from the computer, and (try to!) get a good night's sleep. You're going to knock 'em dead! :D

At this point you probably either have or don't want a company tagline, but I've got one that seems appropriate. That combination love letter/playful ribbing I wrote made me ponder just how powerful hopes and expectations can be, and also how scary they can become when left unmoored from reality for too long. You're deep into challenging our preexisting notions about a lot of things now, and I feel like I might be watching a massively positive cultural and technological shift take place before my eyes, but I could just need new lenses, too. Even if the Rift somehow fails utterly and you all take up landscaping and janitorial work to make ends meet, you've planted some seeds here, really started something. You've made me and thousands of other people who thought the dream was dead believe again, and the Rift and GDC are only your first big steps onto the world's stage. For the first time in my life, I feel like, maybe,

everything is possible.
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

nateight wrote:At this point you probably either have or don't want a company tagline, ....
I think their tagline is Step Into the Game
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

mahler wrote:I think their tagline is Step Into the Game
I would interpret that as the specific product tagline, but even so, is it going to be possible to use a Rift as a blind person? This is apparently highly relevant to my situation! :lol:
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

It was a smart move to nip the cutscene problem in the bud with the UDK by enabling head tracking during cutscenes.

And of course, it's in the free SDK, so that can't make Unity very happy.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Tirregius wrote:I'm a little daunted by Unity at the moment, coming from stuff from 10-15 year ago. Thank god logic hasn't changed!
Sometimes when I read all the over-abstracted, meta-code-y, dependency-injection code that seems to be popular right now, I wonder if all logic has been removed. :)
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

Alright, so this is becoming a 'thing' now?

Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

riftarding
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

MichaelH
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MichaelH »

mahler wrote:Image
Add unplugged in cable and I am sold. []D
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Oh. My. God.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Ok. Very nice. compliments. now to add it to the emoticon group and call it 'riftarding'. The cable will be a tough one, not many pixels there to work with. It's probably best to stick to standard emoticon sizing (as it is) so it can be universal across platforms, for easy integration.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Let me see if I can get this added as one of the default emoticons here.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

There is potential for it to be used in negative connotation. And it probably will be.

Alternatively, controlling both sides of the creation of the conversation is about is about as good as it is ever going to get. Reflection in a state of exaggeration (ramped up polarization) is as useful a tool as anything else.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
danielbln
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by danielbln »

Looks like a Hitler emoticon at first glance.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

danielbln wrote:Looks like a Hitler emoticon at first glance.
:lol: ... now that you say it, bullseye
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

GeraldT wrote:

Well, a little modification might be in order. A pixel on each side to shape the mouth so it is less suggestive in that direction.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Yeah, there's a little too much Adolf in that emoticon!

Can you beef it up a bit more and then we can get it added to MTBS' emoticon list?

Regards,
Neil
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

I'm not seeing it. You people need therapy. :lol:
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

I always wanted a Hitler emoticon. Very useful once all the WWII Rift games are announced.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

KBK wrote:
GeraldT wrote:

Well, a little modification might be in order. A pixel on each side to shape the mouth so it is less suggestive in that direction.
Yep, I'm getting Hitler as well. I'd take it off the smiley and just have it like the other glasses or put it on a larger smiley
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

It is the angle shot that makes it impossible in a 16x16 window. It will probably have to be done straight on. Small rectangle for rift, one-two slightly lighter colored pixels on either side to suggest the strap. then one orange/yellow pixel, above the strap, to suggest the curve of the head. Then the mouth below. The surprised smiley and the big grin smiley are a good starting point.
trgTyson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by trgTyson »

Haven't seen it posted yet, but I noticed on Reddit that people are receiving status changes to "Order being processed for shipping"

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... essed_for/

Cheers
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Wow, people see Hitler everywhere these days. It just looked like someone wearing a Rift with their mouth open to me. What about this Hitler emoticon? :o
You could always just make the mouth wider or move a couple of pixels so it doesn't look so square.
Or, if you can't help seeing a mustache there (then where is the mouth?), just imagine it's Charlie Chaplin.

KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

there's a test shot using big grin as a starting point. Looks like surprise is probably the better one to start with. However, this one has buck teeth, which helps a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

2EyeGuy wrote:What about this Hitler emoticon? :o
That's the one I used for reference. Just moved the mouth a little to the left to make it look sideways.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

What about something like this but modified with a Rift?
pac.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

OK, next test using surprised as a base.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

second try, getting closer. I think maybe move the mouth up and forget about the teeth? Opinions?

The trick is to suggest the open but downturned mouth, but to stay away from hitler. tricky.

Maybe widen the mouth on the above first test, and leave it at that. The more I stare at the second one, the more correct it looks. Suggestive is all it's ever going to get to, in a small matrix like that.

We have a name change, the other name, amusing as it is, is not appropriate as an undercurrent message to be sent out there. "RiftAwe" will be the name until something better emerges. Open to suggestions. Like Planck Length, this placeholder might end up being the definition, even though it (Planck Length) was never meant as anything but a placeholder.
Last edited by KBK on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

that one looks distraught, not wonderstruck

Return to “Oculus VR”