Unity Pro Discount (Confirmed!)

Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Possible Unity Pro Discount

Post by Pingles »

nanicoar wrote:What if all of you pitched in with the money you are willing to part with to hire developers for open source projects like Blender or Torque3D?

That would be great.

Unity is a pretty extraordinary development system. While I greatly appreciate the efforts of the people working on open source engines Unity is well worth the price for a multi-platform streamlined game development system.
Mart
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mart »

No doubt open source engines are the future, but Unity is the right engine for my projects at this time.
Aabel
Cross Eyed!

Post by Aabel »

nanicoar wrote:What if all of you pitched in with the money you are willing to part with to hire developers for open source projects like Blender or Torque3D?

That would be great.

Because I need a tool with Unity Pro's feature set now, not 12-18 months (or longer) from now. I just want to buy a software tool, not get wrapped up in tool development.

Mart wrote:No doubt open source engines are the future, but Unity is the right engine for my projects at this time.
People have been saying the same of Blender for YEARS and it's still out in the cold, at best it's a favorite platform for PhDware, not production. I hate Autodesk and would love it if I never had to use one of their 'products' again, but Blender just isn't up to the challenge of replacing the Autodesk suites.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Aabel wrote:

That would be great.
Because I need a tool with Unity Pro's feature set now, not 12-18 months (or longer) from now. I just want to buy a software tool, not get wrapped up in tool development.
This is really the thing. I love open source software and would prefer to use it, but if it can't offer what I need right now, I need an alternative solution.
If someone wants to convince me that an open source solution DOES meet my needs, then that is another matter, and I would be quite happy to discuss it.
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

----------------------------------------
UNITY RESPONSE
Hi everyone,
I heard back from Unity and they are willing to give us a discount. TL;DR 5% discount for 3-9 people 10% discount for 10+ people and additional 5% discount if you use their logo in your game, and mention them in credits.

The full email is below:
----------------------
Hello Matthew,

It's good to hear from you. Since our last conversation we have had some more updates to our discount structure. I can now offer a 5% reduction on an order of between 3-9 Pro licenses. This discount raises to a 10% reduction on orders of 10-14 Pro licenses. Studios purchasing volume licenses can benefit from these reductions. However I would be happy to extend this discount to members in your group. I'll need to set up accounts for each developer, however if say for example 2-3 developers are apart of a single studio, it would be easier to setup an account in their studio name and then have separate contacts under that one account.

In addition to this I can access an additional % discount using the Powered by Unity Branding Addendum. We can raise the 5% discount to a 10% reduction, and the 10% discount to a 15% reduction if the developer is agreeable to the terms. I have attached the addendum for your groups review.

I'll look forward to assisting you all further with your licensing questions and requirement.

Kind regards,
Alex

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure how long this offer is good for so I am going to try and lock down numbers this week. If you are interested please PM me as soon as possible and I will add you to a list of names I will send to Alex and then we will take it from there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

Korda wrote:----------------------------------------
UNITY RESPONSE
Hi everyone,
I heard back from Unity and they are willing to give us a discount. TL;DR 5% discount for 3-9 people 10% discount for 10+ people and additional 5% discount if you use their logo in your game, and mention them in credits.

The full email is below:
----------------------
Hello Matthew,

It's good to hear from you. Since our last conversation we have had some more updates to our discount structure. I can now offer a 5% reduction on an order of between 3-9 Pro licenses. This discount raises to a 10% reduction on orders of 10-14 Pro licenses. Studios purchasing volume licenses can benefit from these reductions. However I would be happy to extend this discount to members in your group. I'll need to set up accounts for each developer, however if say for example 2-3 developers are apart of a single studio, it would be easier to setup an account in their studio name and then have separate contacts under that one account.

In addition to this I can access an additional % discount using the Powered by Unity Branding Addendum. We can raise the 5% discount to a 10% reduction, and the 10% discount to a 15% reduction if the developer is agreeable to the terms. I have attached the addendum for your groups review.

I'll look forward to assisting you all further with your licensing questions and requirement.

Kind regards,
Alex

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure how long this offer is good for so I am going to try and lock down numbers this week. If you are interested please PM me as soon as possible and I will add you to a list of names I will send to Alex and then we will take it from there.
any chance you can ask them if you add aditional devs later if the same discount will apply if they use the same group id/dev name( or if it needs to be in bulks of 10 etc. )? a lot of us havnt recieved our rifts yet so we cant commit to a license at the moment.

Sorry for the additional ifs and buts, well done on getting a discount.
Mel
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Unity Pro Discount (Confirmed!)

Post by Mel »

Thanks, Korda.

Even if we make the 10% head count, I don't think that cut is deep enough for me ATM.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Fantastic. I'm in! I'll send a PM.

I just read the pdf. All they want is a splash screen at startup for another 5% off. OR just put them in the credits. I'm all for that.
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

Pingles wrote:Fantastic. I'm in! I'll send a PM.

I just read the pdf. All they want is a splash screen at startup for another 5% off. OR just put them in the credits. I'm all for that.
If I read the pdf correctly you need to do TWO things so both a splash screen and credits but that doesn't seem like a huge burden to me (Actually I probably would have done it anyway)

@Mel Understandable it is still a lot of money.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

sounds good to me. I have no problem putted unity on a startup screen.
space123321

Post by space123321 »

I may be interested - please PM me with more details!
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Mystify wrote:
Aabel wrote:

That would be great.
This is really the thing. I love open source software and would prefer to use it, but if it can't offer what I need right now, I need an alternative solution.
If someone wants to convince me that an open source solution DOES meet my needs, then that is another matter, and I would be quite happy to discuss it.
I think it depends where your strenghts are, if you create all your art assets on your own and don't need the Unity store for this, you could use a open source environment like Torque or if you have C++ knowledge you could use Ogre and patch you own engine together consisting of the tools you prefer. And there's plenty of open source or affordable stuff out there.

I'm into audio production as well, and the vendor lockin, like relying on a software suite like Unity happened to me as well, i was using Reason back then, it's like Unity for audio, providing a nice guided ecosystem for beginners, but making you very dependent, because you only can interface with other 3rd party tools if the company implements it, and often doesn't because they have contracts with particular 3rd parties. Also from Sweden like Unity :shock:

Getting better and discovering the nature of how things work, the desire to use certain features which weren't available and interoperability grew more and more. Then i discovered Linux for audio production, providing a open standard interface system (jack) on OS level, where you can route the audio from one application into another, supported almost by every audio application on Linux. You don't have a full featured software suite like Reason, but the truth is that the entire operating system can function as software suite making it far more poweful than using a dedicated software suite. Software suites are operating systems running inside operating systems nowadays, if you look at the big ones in each genre.

Personally, my goal is to create a Linux environment like this for VR application development, and having standalone renderers like Ogre, animation tools liie Smartbody or NI, sculpting tools and all the other stuff available behaving like it would be a software suite, only that it's modular and open source. A dedicated operating system as VR tailored developing environment, which you can use alongside your normal operating system. I'll make a thread today or tomorrow listing all the programs there i've found so far.

Personally, i think that interoperable tools and a true modular developing environment, ideally skinned in a consistent way would be very benefitial. If you need binaural audio, a reverb or whatever you just route the audio into another tool. or if you don't like the renderer, like Ogre, you use a another one etc.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

STRZ wrote: I think it depends where your strenghts are, if you create all your art assets on your own and don't need the Unity store for this, you could use a open source environment like Torque or if you have C++ knowledge you could use Ogre and patch you own engine together consisting of the tools you prefer. And there's plenty of open source or affordable stuff out there.

I'm into audio production as well, and the vendor lockin, like relying on a software suite like Unity happened to me as well, i was using Reason back then, it's like Unity for audio, providing a nice guided ecosystem for beginners, but making you very dependent, because you only can interface with other 3rd party tools if the company implements it, and often doesn't because they have contracts with particular 3rd parties. Also from Sweden like Unity :shock:

Getting better and discovering the nature of how things work, the desire to use certain features which weren't available and interoperability grew more and more. Then i discovered Linux for audio production, providing a open standard interface system (jack) on OS level, where you can route the audio from one application into another, supported almost by every audio application on Linux. You don't have a full featured software suite like Reason, but the truth is that the entire operating system can function as software suite making it far more poweful than using a dedicated software suite. Software suites are operating systems running inside operating systems nowadays, if you look at the big ones in each genre.

Personally, my goal is to create a Linux environment like this for VR application development, and having standalone renderers like Ogre, animation tools liie Smartbody or NI, sculpting tools and all the other stuff available behaving like it would be a software suite, only that it's modular and open source. A dedicated operating system as VR tailored developing environment, which you can use alongside your normal operating system. I'll make a thread today or tomorrow listing all the programs there i've found so far.

Personally, i think that interoperable tools and a true modular developing environment, ideally skinned in a consistent way would be very benefitial. If you need binaural audio, a reverb or whatever you just route the audio into another tool. or if you don't like the renderer, like Ogre, you use a another one etc.
My first attempt at making a 3D game involved me patching things together on my own. It mainly raised a lot of issues I didn't want to have to deal with; how do I read in the model format? Where in the world is the specification for this? How do I set up rendering pipelines? How do you optimize things?
It was a fairly monumental task to set up the underlying engine, without even getting to developing a game to run on it. I don't want to deal with all of that when working in 3D anymore than I want to manage the raw graphics buffer when working in 2D. It is a large portion of the work which has been done before, by people who have spent more time and effort optimizing it than I can. I can step into unity and start making infinite terrain generators and build procedural level generation off the bat. I don't need to spend a year developing the engine first. I don't have to resolve problems that the industry has spent the last 2 decades perfecting. When I tried unity, it put me at the exact level of abstraction I want to work with. I can dive down and manipulate individual vertices if I wish, or easily import models and animations, and blend them together. I can put out a physical object, and have it behave properly without writing a custom collision detector for it, or create an alien orb with behavior purely of my own devising. I have all the power I want, while not being required to utilize any of it if I don't need to. I can immediately put my efforts into making my own game, and working on what will make my program distinct from everyone else's. Unity offers me what I need. Open source software may have any individual component I need, but it doesn't give it to me in a workable package. I have a full time job, I don't have the free time to worry about all the low level stuff anymore. I need to be able to effectively get in and work on things at the higher level in order to accomplish things in my time constraints.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Mystify wrote:
STRZ wrote: I think it depends where your strenghts are, if you create all your art assets on your own and don't need the Unity store for this, you could use a open source environment like Torque or if you have C++ knowledge you could use Ogre and patch you own engine together consisting of the tools you prefer. And there's plenty of open source or affordable stuff out there.

My first attempt at making a 3D game involved me patching things together on my own. It mainly raised a lot of issues I didn't want to have to deal with; how do I read in the model format? Where in the world is the specification for this? How do I set up rendering pipelines? How do you optimize things?
It was a fairly monumental task to set up the underlying engine, without even getting to developing a game to run on it. I don't want to deal with all of that when working in 3D anymore than I want to manage the raw graphics buffer when working in 2D. It is a large portion of the work which has been done before, by people who have spent more time and effort optimizing it than I can. I can step into unity and start making infinite terrain generators and build procedural level generation off the bat. I don't need to spend a year developing the engine first. I don't have to resolve problems that the industry has spent the last 2 decades perfecting. When I tried unity, it put me at the exact level of abstraction I want to work with. I can dive down and manipulate individual vertices if I wish, or easily import models and animations, and blend them together. I can put out a physical object, and have it behave properly without writing a custom collision detector for it, or create an alien orb with behavior purely of my own devising. I have all the power I want, while not being required to utilize any of it if I don't need to. I can immediately put my efforts into making my own game, and working on what will make my program distinct from everyone else's. Unity offers me what I need. Open source software may have any individual component I need, but it doesn't give it to me in a workable package. I have a full time job, I don't have the free time to worry about all the low level stuff anymore. I need to be able to effectively get in and work on things at the higher level in order to accomplish things in my time constraints.
I was gonna dive head first into UDK, but after this I may just lay out some cash for Unity. :)
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

Mel wrote:I was gonna dive head first into UDK, but after this I may just lay out some cash for Unity. :)
Unity is incredibly easy to use and even if you don't have much coding/scripting experience there are things like Playmaker that can ease you into it.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Mystify wrote: Open source software may have any individual component I need, but it doesn't give it to me in a workable package. I have a full time job, I don't have the free time to worry about all the low level stuff anymore. I need to be able to effectively get in and work on things at the higher level in order to accomplish things in my time constraints.
This is a problem of poor documentation and providing a package bundleing the software, so that you don't need to invest time to digg through the internet, download the sourcecode, compile it, figuring out how you could create a good workflow etc..

In addition, the psychological aspect of how you present stuff is very important if you want that people use it. F.e, the oversaturated ingame screenshots and early 2000's look of the Ogre frontpage is what puts many people off. That's where Unity really strikes, the consistency of how they present themselfes, it has the Appleish feeling.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

STRZ wrote:
Mystify wrote: Open source software may have any individual component I need, but it doesn't give it to me in a workable package. I have a full time job, I don't have the free time to worry about all the low level stuff anymore. I need to be able to effectively get in and work on things at the higher level in order to accomplish things in my time constraints.
This is a problem of poor documentation and providing a package bundleing the software, so that you don't need to invest time to digg through the internet, download the sourcecode, compile it, figuring out how you could create a good workflow etc..

In addition, the psychological aspect of how you present stuff is very important if you want that people use it. F.e, the oversaturated ingame screenshots and early 2000's look of the Ogre frontpage is what puts many people off. That's where Unity really strikes, the consistency of how they present themselfes, it has the Appleish feeling.
Yeah, that was a lot of the obstacle to getting things working.
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

lmimmfn wrote: any chance you can ask them if you add aditional devs later if the same discount will apply if they use the same group id/dev name( or if it needs to be in bulks of 10 etc. )? a lot of us havnt recieved our rifts yet so we cant commit to a license at the moment.

I am almost certain that it will have to be in bulk but next time I contact Alex I will ask when the offer expires.
AussieMike
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by AussieMike »

Great work on securing a discount Korda.

Quick question though - how will the extra 5% discount work. Will Unity refund the 5% once you publish a game with the splash screen? Or do you just make a promise to do so?
Reason I ask is that I'm a hobbyist and may or may not ever publish a game, but "if" i do, then I'm happy to put the splash screen in.

Cheers,
Michael
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

AussieMike wrote:Great work on securing a discount Korda.

Quick question though - how will the extra 5% discount work. Will Unity refund the 5% once you publish a game with the splash screen? Or do you just make a promise to do so?
Reason I ask is that I'm a hobbyist and may or may not ever publish a game, but "if" i do, then I'm happy to put the splash screen in.

Cheers,
Michael
I was curious about this too and asked Alex about it, I have not yet received a reply but I am under the impression that it is more of a promise to add the splash screen etc once you publish something.
daveo2013
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by daveo2013 »

10 - 15% is better than a kick in the teeth - I'm probably* in! Thanks for setting this up :) The extra 5% - part of me thinks 'cool, as long as what they want isn't too obnoxious', the other part thinks it's not that much to pay to retain forever the right to brand my games however I see fit. I'm undecided on that.

*I say probably, because it depends on timing - it makes good sense to make use of the 4 month free trial that comes with the Rift, though on the other hand my trial will run out probably before my rift arrives.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

daveo2013 wrote:10 - 15% is better than a kick in the teeth - I'm probably* in! Thanks for setting this up :) The extra 5% - part of me thinks 'cool, as long as what they want isn't too obnoxious', the other part thinks it's not that much to pay to retain forever the right to brand my games however I see fit. I'm undecided on that.

*I say probably, because it depends on timing - it makes good sense to make use of the 4 month free trial that comes with the Rift, though on the other hand my trial will run out probably before my rift arrives.
The timing is something we should figure out.
I was planning on using up the free trial before purchasing, and since we all have access to it, waiting 4 months before purchasing would seem to make sense- assuming we all have to do it at the same time.
There is also the possibility that in those 4 months, people will come up with acceptable ways to use the rift in the free version, and people may decide they want to stay with the free version.
For myself, the extra features in pro were already tempting, and the requirement for VR development was just a strong shove, so I'd likely continue to purchase it regardless, but others may regret getting locked in to the pro version prematurely.
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

Korda wrote:
lmimmfn wrote: any chance you can ask them if you add aditional devs later if the same discount will apply if they use the same group id/dev name( or if it needs to be in bulks of 10 etc. )? a lot of us havnt recieved our rifts yet so we cant commit to a license at the moment.

I am almost certain that it will have to be in bulk but next time I contact Alex I will ask when the offer expires.
Thanks Korda, very much appreciated.
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

I got some clarification on the additional 5% discount,

---------------------------------------------------
To answer those questions the addendum would apply for every Unity project you work within the legal entity agreeing to the addendum. It then means that the legal entity will always receive a permanent Branding Addendum discount.

In regards to the games feature, please keep me posted and I'll do my best to get it in front of the right people internally within Unity. Usually access points would be through the website. But we're naturally more open to projects that specifically state they are made in Unity.

Yes the addendum can be applied on a per person based. It would apply to the legal entity, whether that is an individual or studio it doesn't matter. Those who opt out of the addendum simply will not be able to access the added discount.

I hope this helps clarify, please do let me know if you have anymore questions I can help with. I'll look forward to hearing from you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a Unity logo pack on the asset store for the addendum which is free for you to check out. Regarding timing, I don't know how long this offer is good for but four months is probably not realistic. For those who want to wait until after the trial I can give you Alex's details and you could attempt do this again at a later date.
AussieMike
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by AussieMike »

Mystify wrote:
daveo2013 wrote:10 - 15% is better than a kick in the teeth - I'm probably* in! Thanks for setting this up :) The extra 5% - part of me thinks 'cool, as long as what they want isn't too obnoxious', the other part thinks it's not that much to pay to retain forever the right to brand my games however I see fit. I'm undecided on that.

The timing is something we should figure out.
I was planning on using up the free trial before purchasing, and since we all have access to it, waiting 4 months before purchasing would seem to make sense- assuming we all have to do it at the same time.
There is also the possibility that in those 4 months, people will come up with acceptable ways to use the rift in the free version, and people may decide they want to stay with the free version.
For myself, the extra features in pro were already tempting, and the requirement for VR development was just a strong shove, so I'd likely continue to purchase it regardless, but others may regret getting locked in to the pro version prematurely.
I was wondering about that - I assumed that we would get a 4 month trial code when our rift arrives. Is it possible to start the 4 month free trial now, while waiting for the rift to arrive? (I'm one of the first 1000 pre-orders, I presume the 4 month trial is still offered to pre-orders)
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

Korda wrote:I got some clarification on the additional 5% discount,

---------------------------------------------------
To answer those questions the addendum would apply for every Unity project you work within the legal entity agreeing to the addendum. It then means that the legal entity will always receive a permanent Branding Addendum discount.

In regards to the games feature, please keep me posted and I'll do my best to get it in front of the right people internally within Unity. Usually access points would be through the website. But we're naturally more open to projects that specifically state they are made in Unity.

Yes the addendum can be applied on a per person based. It would apply to the legal entity, whether that is an individual or studio it doesn't matter. Those who opt out of the addendum simply will not be able to access the added discount.

I hope this helps clarify, please do let me know if you have anymore questions I can help with. I'll look forward to hearing from you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a Unity logo pack on the asset store for the addendum which is free for you to check out. Regarding timing, I don't know how long this offer is good for but four months is probably not realistic. For those who want to wait until after the trial I can give you Alex's details and you could attempt do this again at a later date.
Thanks for that, i think it might be best to leave it until 3-4 months time where we have our rifts and we have an idea of whether Unity is the best engine for specific devs( i havnt used it yet, just saying but will be playing with it shortly ). In that case i dont think its fair to rely on yourself, but it would be good if we have a batch of devs that want a license, if we can contact you for info, Alex's email etc.?
Aabel
Cross Eyed!

Post by Aabel »

I'm in the wait and see camp too. After seeing the significant issues that Unity has with deferred rendering, shadows and the Rift, I want to see if the Unity pro renderer and the Rift can be made to play nicely with each other before I fork over $1500.

I'll go back to UDK before I pay for premium features that don't work together.
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

I have been looking into the shadows issue. It appears to only have errors in the deferred rendering mode, forward rendering has working shadows.
Also a person on the Unity forums seems to have found a fix for deferred rendering: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/152428 ... ?p=1073898

I can't test any of this since I don't have a Rift but it gives me confidence that the problems people are facing will be overcome.
Aabel
Cross Eyed!

Post by Aabel »

Yeah I've seen that solution too, and when we get our devkit, we'll be on the problem. We'll also be looking for more ways to optimize the Rift implementation in Unity . At first glance it does not look like as much care went into the Unity implementation as went into the UDK implementation. It also seems like the Rift isn't really on UT's radar despite the impression we got from the Kickstarter video. Whether we use Unity for our final build or not is up in the air, however it is definitely the prototype tool we are going to use.

I really like Unity, A LOT, my wife is an even bigger fan of it, we hope that over the course of 5 months of demo time we can make it fit out needs.
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

/salute Korda, very nice initiative 8-)
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

Cromfel wrote:/salute Korda, very nice initiative 8-)
;) Thanks! Purely selfish reasons though, I am a total miser.
nanicoar
Cross Eyed!

Post by nanicoar »

Mystify wrote:When I tried unity, it put me at the exact level of abstraction I want to work with. I can dive down and manipulate individual vertices if I wish, or easily import models and animations, and blend them together. I can put out a physical object, and have it behave properly without writing a custom collision detector for it, or create an alien orb with behavior purely of my own devising. I have all the power I want, while not being required to utilize any of it if I don't need to. I can immediately put my efforts into making my own game, and working on what will make my program distinct from everyone else's. Unity offers me what I need. Open source software may have any individual component I need, but it doesn't give it to me in a workable package. I have a full time job, I don't have the free time to worry about all the low level stuff anymore. I need to be able to effectively get in and work on things at the higher level in order to accomplish things in my time constraints.
These are perfectly valid concerns and they are by no means unique to your position. They are however the exact same reason for why asset creation tools are so prohibitively expensive. Consider young talent in developing countries under the onus of software piracy. To them a 10% discount on USD $1500 is like a slap in the face... If an industry then raises and maintains this segregated community as a barrier against newcomers a great social injustice is being carried out, and it is no way to the benefit of the common good.

There is a chance that you don't care about them... but there are other reasons for why FOSS tools are to your own benefit. The end product for example is better, cheaper games with genuine inspiration behind them as opposed to AAA titles made for a demographically perfect gamer.

If we could have an itemized list of all the features you need, such as procedural terrain (I want that too. Planets worth of it. Galaxies.), and developers who would set a price tag on integrating them in convenient ways into e.g. Blender, and somehow skip time in 12 month chunks, everything would be unicorns and sugar giggles.

The past few days I have been contemplating the specifics of how to implement something in code that would put bounties on those features. When we know what the most popular features are they could then be Kickstarted by indie devs looking for work.

With all the money being funneled in this thread, we could probably get every feature we need for commercial production.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

An ambitious endeavor. And a noble cause.

But when would it be done? And how consistent would a development platform like that be, where every module is crafted by a different team?

I am guessing it would take you YEARS just to select the people who you want to design just the standards between the components.

Unity is elegant. And it is a package well worth the price.

You are right that it excludes people who can't afford it but I believe that the entry price for the trial negates much of that concern. We DO live in a world now where someone can use the free version to make demo and Kickstart it for funding.

I wish you luck in your project. It truly has the potential to change the development world.

When I see it rolling I will donate to it.

For now I will be using Unity.
zinion
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zinion »

Nice work..

someone want to tell me how much it is with the discount.. also i am more than happy to put there logo... who wouldn't be happy to do that there engine is awesome :)
Korda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Korda »

zinion wrote:Nice work..

someone want to tell me how much it is with the discount.. also i am more than happy to put there logo... who wouldn't be happy to do that there engine is awesome :)
It depends on your regions and exchange rates
if you are in the US it is $1500 - $225 at the full 15% discount (we currently need 3 more people to reach this)
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

nanicoar wrote:These are perfectly valid concerns and they are by no means unique to your position. They are however the exact same reason for why asset creation tools are so prohibitively expensive. Consider young talent in developing countries under the onus of software piracy. To them a 10% discount on USD $1500 is like a slap in the face... If an industry then raises and maintains this segregated community as a barrier against newcomers a great social injustice is being carried out, and it is no way to the benefit of the common good.
Considering that a lot of the stuff I looked at cost several times as much,, $1500 seemed like a reasonable price for all of the expertise that went into making unity.
nanicoar wrote: There is a chance that you don't care about them... but there are other reasons for why FOSS tools are to your own benefit. The end product for example is better, cheaper games with genuine inspiration behind them as opposed to AAA titles made for a demographically perfect gamer.
This would have more to do with the person using the tool than the tool themselves. The quality of the end product is primarily dependent on how skilled the developer are in making a great game, modified by how restrictive their engine is. A $1500 startup cost is not going to be noteworthy in deciding the final price of your game. A 25% royalty would be, so unity wins out there, but if you have something of enough quality to actually get sales, $1500 is cheap.
And you will get a better game with genuine inspiration built on a proprietary engine than a cookie cutter game on a FOSS engine.
I really don't see how FOSS helps in regards to these points
nanicoar wrote: If we could have an itemized list of all the features you need, such as procedural terrain (I want that too. Planets worth of it. Galaxies.), and developers who would set a price tag on integrating them in convenient ways into e.g. Blender, and somehow skip time in 12 month chunks, everything would be unicorns and sugar giggles.
Sure. But I don't need features in 12 months, I need it now. I don't want to wait for a FOSS engine to eventually meet my needs. Right now I use blender for my 3D modeling, and GIMP for my 2d drawing, and both meet my needs and I am happy. Show me a game engine that does, and I'll happily look into it.
nanicoar wrote: The past few days I have been contemplating the specifics of how to implement something in code that would put bounties on those features. When we know what the most popular features are they could then be Kickstarted by indie devs looking for work.

With all the money being funneled in this thread, we could probably get every feature we need for commercial production.
But when? I don't want to wait around for a feature eventually. I'd much rather use unity now, which has what I need, and make progress on my game, rather than rage against another engine which doesn't have the capabilities I need yet.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Korda wrote:if you are in the US it is $1500 - $225 at the full 15% discount (we currently need 3 more people to reach this)
If you find we are getting down to the wire you may want to post to /r/oculus. There may be some folks there who aren't regulars here.
nanicoar
Cross Eyed!

Post by nanicoar »

Pingles wrote:An ambitious endeavor. And a noble cause.

But when would it be done? And how consistent would a development platform like that be, where every module is crafted by a different team?

I am guessing it would take you YEARS just to select the people who you want to design just the standards between the components.
Proprietary software is full of dirty, non-standard hacks. Dirty hacks work, just not forever. It takes a special kind of academic to believe that only software based on immortal principles can succeed, which is why they hardly ever produce anything noteworthy. And write everything in Java. Monstrous Java.

So far I have determined that a decentralized system of accountability and a fluid, evolving community is required for sustainable software development. The top-down approach does not function because of deep mathematics regarding axiomatic set theory, incompleteness, and the dining practices of philosophers. e.g. Eventually Linus too will Halt, but Linux will continue. Software needs to be organic and integrated with its users, who are subject to chaotic changes. Because of this we must partially depend on the standards which have come to exist through the mechanism of evolution; culture, ethics, civility, burial rites... ideas which FOSS developers are receptive to. The challenge that I am contemplating is building a temporary 'bridge' which has the robustness to exist long enough to leave a void when it is finally exploited beyond usability. I make the assumption that this void would be filled by something better, the same way that I am waiting for Bitcoin to fail and be reborn.

I am encouraged by your kind support to continue.
Mystify wrote:This would have more to do with the person using the tool than the tool themselves. The quality of the end product is primarily dependent on how skilled the developer are in making a great game, modified by how restrictive their engine is. A $1500 startup cost is not going to be noteworthy in deciding the final price of your game. A 25% royalty would be, so unity wins out there, but if you have something of enough quality to actually get sales, $1500 is cheap.
And you will get a better game with genuine inspiration built on a proprietary engine than a cookie cutter game on a FOSS engine.
I really don't see how FOSS helps in regards to these points
nanicoar wrote: If we could have an itemized list of all the features you need, such as procedural terrain (I want that too. Planets worth of it. Galaxies.), and developers who would set a price tag on integrating them in convenient ways into e.g. Blender, and somehow skip time in 12 month chunks, everything would be unicorns and sugar giggles.
Sure. But I don't need features in 12 months, I need it now. I don't want to wait for a FOSS engine to eventually meet my needs. Right now I use blender for my 3D modeling, and GIMP for my 2d drawing, and both meet my needs and I am happy. Show me a game engine that does, and I'll happily look into it.
nanicoar wrote: The past few days I have been contemplating the specifics of how to implement something in code that would put bounties on those features. When we know what the most popular features are they could then be Kickstarted by indie devs looking for work.

But when? I don't want to wait around for a feature eventually. I'd much rather use unity now, which has what I need, and make progress on my game, rather than rage against another engine which doesn't have the capabilities I need yet.
I'm not trying to devalue your purchasing decision. I'm attempting to discuss our shared situation from a different perspective. However, UDK's 25% on game sales is less than Unity's 30% on asset sales.

A funny thing about Open Source is the myriad of unchallenged geniuses who periodically create one-off demonstrations of their skills, GPL the lot of it and then let the entire project fade into obscurity. Often this code is years ahead of its time, on the limit of what the technology of the time allows and consequently it only solves a limited set of problems. These are hardcore hackers with the attention spans of cats on meth, so once 'solved' the project becomes uninteresting to them. However, give 18 months to double transistor density and their code becomes interesting for a whole different set of problems.

What I mean to say by this is that the most of the features that are available in commercial packages are not new by any means. They are old ideas that are dusted off and sold as new. Writing documentation and creating educational material certainly is laudable, but there is a different, special kind of academic who is willing to do that for free for us. If there was a self-sustaining ecosystem which mined all that orphaned code and put the usable bits into a more or less limited selection of popular FOSS packages, it would be the commercial users who had to wait for 12 months.

A long-term financial incentive seems to be the sole missing component in this crazy scheme.
Last edited by nanicoar on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

That all sounds great in theory, and I'd love to see it happen in practice. However, telling people who are trying to start projects now to invest in the possibility of a workable system later does not seem like a viable approach to me.
nanicoar
Cross Eyed!

Post by nanicoar »

For the people who don't need to start now, holding off for something better may be viable. IMO even 10% off on $1500 (plus $1500 for iOS, plus $1500 for Android...) is not worth being pressured into a deal just because it will expire soon.

Return to “Oculus VR”