Photoshop Challenge

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Photoshop Challenge

Post by Neil »

Oculus assimilate me?!?!? Never! I'm 100% Canuck, baby!

Ok, about the contest. There were some changes in staff at Novint right after the contest was announced. So, it took time, but fresh arrangements had to be made. I got an email yesterday from them confirming new arrangements (there is one more step to go through at my end) so the prize can be shipped. This has taken longer than expected, so I apologize.

However, in addition to the Novint Falcon, I also arranged some additional consolation prizes. I just wanted to be 100% sure that the Falcon shipped before announcing the extras (otherwise I'd have to do some reshuffling).

I expect to be able to announce the results by Friday this week. I know this has taken a lot longer than expected, I know you all worked hard for your winnings, and I thank you for your patience. Going back through the history of MTBS with all our contests, we've always delivered - so be confident! ;=)

Regards,
Neil
Cathodoluminescence
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cathodoluminescence »

Neil wrote:However, in addition to the Novint Falcon, I also arranged some additional consolation prizes.
That sounds good :-)
sth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sth »

In response to http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 285#p99448
KBK wrote:time for the '300' (film) based photoshopping... over to the '5000'.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Neil wrote:However, in addition to the Novint Falcon, I also arranged some additional consolation prizes.
For those who do not already have consoles?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ok boy and girls.

I received an email confirmation for some killer prizes!

I think everyone will be pleased. Patience!!!

Regards,
Neil
Dycus
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dycus »

Man, if I'd known there would be additional prizes, I would have actually entered something. Ah well, can't wait to see who wins!
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Of course the grand prize has been changed to a Goldulus Gift. It's an electrifying version of the normal devkit, with some minor ergonomic problems due to a slight weight increase, but it should be worth that weight in... well, you get the point.

Diorama

Post by Diorama »

kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

Wait what?! Was there a bloody contest in here?!
Fecklings, so much for growing up with photoshop and apparently not being able to use my eyes to scan every thread :)
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Neil wrote:Ok boy and girls.

Regards,
Neil
I'm really starting to wish I entered more pics now! :?
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Cathodoluminescence
One Eyed Hopeful

TheHolyChicken wrote:
Neil wrote:Ok boy and girls.

Regards,
Neil
I'm really starting to wish I entered more pics now! :?
me2 - by hook or by crook, this thread/contest was/is a lot of fun :-)
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Yeah, me too.
I wanted to make a cool stereoscopic one, since these are all depressingly flat.
I even thought about making a simple Doom 3 mod where I skinned the characters to look like Carmack and Palmer, or like someone wearing a Rift. But I never got around to it. :-(

Still, hopefully my picture of an invisible pink unicorn wearing a Rift will win. :lol: Or my Dawkins book. I assume there's still a prize for 30th place? right? ;)
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

kalabalik wrote:Wait what?! Was there a bloody contest in here?!
Fecklings, so much for growing up with photoshop and apparently not being able to use my eyes to scan every thread :)
This only really became a contest about half way in, because this wasn't something that was originally planed to be a competition. so I guess it would be easy to miss it.

In hind sight it might have helped if I had gone back and edited my first post to give mention to it, but alas it's too late now, sorry about that. (I will go and update the post anyway just to inform any newcomers)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

BOLL wrote:Of course the grand prize has been changed to a Goldulus Gift. It's an electrifying version of the normal devkit, with some minor ergonomic problems due to a slight weight increase, but it should be worth that weight in... well, you get the point.
Former belonging of Midas perhaps?
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

BOLL wrote:It's an electrifying version of the normal devkit, with some minor ergonomic problems due to a slight weight increase, but it should be worth that weight in... well, you get the point.
Electrifying, huh? So, you're saying I was right about my theory that Palmer was combining his hobby of high-voltage weapons with the Oculus Rift? For added immersion when you get shot in the game? Gold is the best electrical conductor, so that makes sense... ;)
Neil

Post by Neil »

The winners and prizes will be announced TODAY, I promise!

Regards,
Neil
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

2EyeGuy wrote:
BOLL wrote:It's an electrifying version of the normal devkit, with some minor ergonomic problems due to a slight weight increase, but it should be worth that weight in... well, you get the point.
Electrifying, huh? So, you're saying I was right about my theory that Palmer was combining his hobby of high-voltage weapons with the Oculus Rift? For added immersion when you get shot in the game? Gold is the best electrical conductor, so that makes sense... ;)
"Arc of the Covenant" HMD?
:P

Perhaps it has a miniaturized version of this in it:

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3hUB4qr4Ig[/youtube-hd]

Be sure to remove any metallic dental fillings before trying it on... :D
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Neil wrote:The winners and prizes will be announced TODAY, I promise!

Regards,
Neil
F5 F5 F5 F5...
Neil

Post by Neil »

Done! Hope you all like the way things turned out.

Regards,
Neil
Cathodoluminescence
One Eyed Hopeful

Yeah, I'm a winner ;-) Thanks a lot. And congrats to mindless!
laast
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by laast »

ColdCutz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ColdCutz »

The Picard will take no prisoners.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Congratulations all winners and especially mindless to the Falcon!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Congrats, guys! There were a ton of awesome ones, so I'm glad Neil was able to get a bunch of prizes.

Zalo's, THC's and Cathodoluminescence's shopps cracked me up every time I looked at them.
ColdCutz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ColdCutz »

Rats, looks like I missed the Gravy Train.. :'(

Did they PM the winners, or was there a section with all of them listed?
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

ColdCutz wrote:Rats, looks like I missed the Gravy Train.. :'(

Did they PM the winners, or was there a section with all of them listed?
http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=73
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

Thanks for giving me the win, I'm super happy right now :)

I'm glad to see so many other guys/gals are also getting rewarded for all their hard work. everyone that submitted a pic did a fantastic job, But I have to say my favorite is "I can't handle the truth", that one just makes me smile every time I see it. Don't think I will ever be able to watch that scene from the movie again and take it seriously.

Finally my thanks to Neil and the folk at MTBS for running the competition.

Now back to the drawing board, my work here is not complete ;)
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Congratulations Mindless! I was almost sure some 'shop including people would win :D it seemed like those worked best with the crowd haha. Even while guessing that my imagination didn't want to work that way, oh well :P Also a bit funny that I got a spot with the image I probably spent the least time on, but it felt right, so I guess it makes sense. Thanks again Mindless for the thread, and then Neil for making it a contest :)

Also Mindless, not bad having your first post+thread generate 18 (so far) pages, having it turn into an epic contest and then finally winning it yourself xD It's kind of hilarious actually!
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Same here BOLL! I was sure people would see the parallels between the Happy Mask Salesman and Palmer Luckey (wait for it).

Now THAT'S a truth I can't handle ;)
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

@Boll I know what you mean, Its surprised me how quick the idea caught on, I was just making something for fun that I thought others would enjoy, but I didn't think it would grow into this epic thread. Now I feel like I know a little bit what Palmer must have felt when he kick started the rift and it just took off.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

Only a few got prizes but everybody in this thread is a winner as far as I'm concerned. There is some true talent here. I am very impressed.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Some of my favourites didn't get a mention, so there are lots of different ways this contest could have gone depending on the taste of the judges. All the entries were good.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Can't believe the Back to the Future pic didn't make it, but mindless still won so all is fair.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Yep that was my favorite also, I thought he would win, weird that he wasn't even nominated.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

Are you talking about this one posted by Mindless?
That was actually the point in time where I realized just getting Rift-people into the picture was a winning concept, because people loved it.

It didn't win or get nominated probably because it was a joint venture, as it was based on a photoshopz I posted earlier.

As a self analysis, putting people into the pictures seems like an easy concept, why didn't I do it? :D To me most things have to make sense to make sense, erhm. Relating to the original characters In my head Palmer should have been Doc as he built the machine, but as Carmack is older than Palmer that doesn't make it completely logical. Oh the curse of overzealous logical thinking.

So yeah, I would probably have come up with neither, but because I tried to make sense of the swapped faces when I first saw Mindless' version I was surprised people liked it so much. And yes, I am super-over-analytic for better or worse, hahaha. Also not trying to downplay Mindless' win or anything, just analyzing things and speaking my mind... or about my mind, uh. I'll shut up now.
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

he did win :D

But I wouldn't have been happy if that was the pic that I had won with, because that felt more like a collaboration with Boll, it wouldn't have been right to take all the credit for that.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

BOLL wrote:Are you talking about this one posted by Mindless?
That was actually the point in time where I realized just getting Rift-people into the picture was a winning concept, because people loved it.

It didn't win or get nominated probably because it was a joint venture, as it was based on a photoshopz I posted earlier.

As a self analysis, putting people into the pictures seems like an easy concept, why didn't I do it? :D To me most things have to make sense to make sense, erhm. Relating to the original characters In my head Palmer should have been Doc as he built the machine, but as Carmack is older than Palmer that doesn't make it completely logical. Oh the curse of overzealous logical thinking.

So yeah, I would probably have come up with neither, but because I tried to make sense of the swapped faces when I first saw Mindless' version I was surprised people liked it so much. And yes, I am super-over-analytic for better or worse, hahaha. Also not trying to downplay Mindless' win or anything, just analyzing things and speaking my mind... or about my mind, uh. I'll shut up now.
I think most will see the faces in bttf and make the connection based on age and not even think about who built what. You underestimated the humor element that face swapping brings (amplified even more due to the nature of the Palmer/carmack relationship). But you truly had some creative images, especially the marketing concepts. If I was Palmer I would be inquiring about how much money you would need to let go of that rift advert wit the living room in it.
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

oculusfan wrote:I think most will see the faces in bttf and make the connection based on age and not even think about who built what. You underestimated the humor element that face swapping brings (amplified even more due to the nature of the Palmer/carmack relationship). But you truly had some creative images, especially the marketing concepts. If I was Palmer I would be inquiring about how much money you would need to let go of that rift advert wit the living room in it.
Thanks :P And yes, I've been outside of online communities for way too long to remember how awesome inside humor is, regarding Palmer/Carmack, even though I am all too familiar with the history by now. I also realized I probably passed mindless' version off as nothing spectacular as the faces look very much pasted on xD Sorry mindless, I'm an evil bastard perfectionist when it comes to 'shopping, which I realize is quite limiting :D hahaha. <3
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

BOLL wrote:
oculusfan wrote:I think most will see the faces in bttf and make the connection based on age and not even think about who built what. You underestimated the humor element that face swapping brings (amplified even more due to the nature of the Palmer/carmack relationship). But you truly had some creative images, especially the marketing concepts. If I was Palmer I would be inquiring about how much money you would need to let go of that rift advert wit the living room in it.
Thanks :P And yes, I've been outside of online communities for way too long to remember how awesome inside humor is, regarding Palmer/Carmack, even though I am all too familiar with the history by now. I also realized I probably passed mindless' version off as nothing spectacular as the faces look very much pasted on xD Sorry mindless, I'm an evil bastard perfectionist when it comes to 'shopping, which I realize is quite limiting :D hahaha. <3
But you like my photoshops, right? You don't think they look pasted on, do you? :( :( :(
After I finished the Predator one, I couldn't actually tell what was the original picture, and which was the one I edited! :D
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Oh, and I almost forgot - I'll just leave this here.....

Return to “Oculus VR”