VR Distortion Correction using Vertex Displacement

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

VR Distortion Correction using Vertex Displacement

Post by Dilip »

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/BrianKehrer/ ... e316ab5e04
Final Thoughts
Frankly, I'm still shocked this isn't a technique that is being widely employed given the extremely high hardware requirements of the announced desktop HMDs. Vertex-displacement based lens correction enables smartphones to render VR to QHD (2560x1440) displays at 60 fps with up to 4x MSAA. Most modern integrated graphics cards should be able to muster at least that much performance, and a low to mid range dedicated graphics card could do much better. I'm not expecting to play Battlefront VR on my Intel HD 5000 - but I suspect the current crop of HMD hardware could be easily adapted to reach a much broader audience, without requiring SLI'ed titans.

Why there is no general interest in covering majority of PC users for Hmds. I do believe with intelligent resource managing & efficient programming even GTX 560+Core i3+4GB Ram too can play LUCKY'S TALE kind of Game,Can't it?

Why on earth PS4 can power ROBINSON THE JOURNEY?? There might be many such tricks already implemented on PSVR SDK that's Why...

In PC we need minimum GTX970 and absurd $900+ NEW RIG to power PC VR Cause there is no wish of developers background to do resource management and optimization for VR, reason is to promote higher/Costlier GPU Race.
Its sinister conspiracy to push GPU Giants and Hardware Market. ;)

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”