Euclideon point cloud streaming over the net

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Euclideon point cloud streaming over the net

Post by budda »

I saw this demo web site from Euclideon about its new udweb software that its testing.

It needs Chrome to run.
Welcome to the Euclideon udWeb Test Application

Euclideon is gathering performance information and testing the stability of the fastest 3D data streaming over the Internet in the world. This is a demonstration. Euclideon reserves the right to monitor IP addresses accessing pages on this domain for the purposes of technical research and performance analysis. Point cloud models provided on this domain remain the property of their respective owners.

Note: This demonstration requires Windows 7 64-Bit or Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" and only works with Google Chrome 41.0 or higher.

Site here: http://udserver.euclideon.com/demo/
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Euclideon point cloud streaming over the net

Post by cybereality »

OK, well I tried it. So I can't say it's vaporware.
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

This udweb software seems to be in the early demonstration phase, but promises to get way better with tuning.

I have a win7 x64 machine on 1Gb Ethernet and it seems slow.

However there are old videos showing an XP laptop running 3TB of data on an external hard drive very smoothly using a game controller.

It will have to get much better with framerate and resolution if it is to be watchable in stereo 3d.

Separately - there was another point cloud model being shown using Euclideon technology of the Budapest underground railway. Obviously not 'solid scanned'.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnnpnas7Ddg
Last edited by budda on Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The framerate was fine for me, it's just the voxels that loaded in slowly (as to be expected with that much data).
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

I like how a Microsoft xbox game controller works natively with the Euclideon web application.

The controller is just plug and play on windows and is way better than using a mouse.

I have also noticed in the composite aerial/street scapes that the views are much more detailed at positions where the laser scanner has been capturing the point data.

For instance, some streets appear much more detailed than others, and getting close to road level is a bit like Mario kart.

I suspect that complex game environments could be captured as point clouds with a virtual laser scanner at the player eye level for better realism.

Thanks.
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

Another Euclideon Solidscan video has popped up.

It seems the point being made is the resulting images are only as good as the cameras (read laser scanners).

I suppose laser scanners are evolving just like digital cameras have - Cameras are now everywhere in phones and have completely changed social media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCVvXTPWRUw

Thanks.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised the video only has 82 views, it's really amazing.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

those inroom scenes are ridiculously real.
It won't be too long until we reach the summit.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

i have also notice subtle jerkiness in video,like something taking a while in loading,

A nice upgrade to realism is true. :) Is it available in SBS mode with Distortion correction?

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”