My DIY Dual iPhone HMD

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
Corsair911
One Eyed Hopeful

My DIY Dual iPhone HMD

Post by Corsair911 »

Hey MTBS3D! I'm relatively new here, but I finally got a workingish version of a iPhone HMD! It uses two iPhones : A iPhone 6 as the display, and a iPhone 4 as the tracking unit.

For my software I used FreePIE to turn the iPhone 4's gyro into mouse movement, Kinoni Remote Desktop on both the iPhone 6 and my PC, and Virtual Router Plus(I thought it had a better connection since it didn't have to go through a router) as well as Tri-Def in order to play games, though they had to be in borderless windows to actually play. It runs well, a little lag and some latency, but it impressed my how well it preformed! If anyone is interested, I can try and put up a demo video.

I know it seems stupid to use two phones, but right now it seems to be the only way to go since we don't have an android :D , though hopefully a background manager will come out soon on Cydia. I'm hopefully going to try and get it to work to emulate trackIR/FreeTrack/Hydra so I can get it running with Minecrift and Warthunder, but I've never really coded before. :lol: I'd also like to thank the forms as a entirety. If I wouldn't of stumbled here, I would've never thought of building this!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: My DIY Dual iPhone HMD

Post by cybereality »

Very cool and welcome to the forum!
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

Post by konstantin_lozev »

Do you get drift over time, i.e. do you end up looking at the ceiling/floor after extensive playtime? Have you experimented with other streamers? On motion controls, if you grab a wiimote and GlovePIE or FreePIE you will have a powerful tool in your hands to experiment :)
Corsair911
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Corsair911 »

Sorry for such a late response, I haven't had time to really write out a reply. There is some drift, mainly due to the iPhone emulating a mouse. I haven't gotten TrackIR working with it yet so I can't tell you much whether it drifts or not in that aspect. So far I've tried 3 different streamers: Kinoni Remote Desktop, Splashtop, and Twomonusb, out of which Kinoni is the most responsive. The other main thing with all these streamers is their framerate, which usually caps out at about 30fps for me. It's tolerable, but it would be great if they could increase it. I did try to get limelight working, but I don't have a compatible video card as of now (Nvidia GT750m), though I feel like I'd get increased framerates and response time if it was compatible. I've gotten a wireless ps3 controller to work and it is amazing to be able to swivel around without being attached to a keyboard! :D

EDIT: I Finally was able to get trackIR set up and made a YouTube video of it in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYhqCHOYxw8
capelan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by capelan »

Hi, do you remember what configuration you used? I am unable to get vireio working with word thunder

thanks!

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”