OpenVRinput Needs help!

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
lmaceleighton
One Eyed Hopeful

OpenVRinput Needs help!

Post by lmaceleighton »

Good day everyone!
I have been working on a VR input gun for quite a while. You can see video, and screen shots here on the Oculus site:https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php ... gn#p139851

I have since moved away from selling the product at all, mostly because there are plenty of Gun Controllers now that you can buy, and one or tow of the are very awesome, but expensive. So I decided to take all the work that I have done and release all the code, and design some tutorials, with software to re-bind keys and such things that you would expect from software that comes with a advanced game controller.
Since nailing down rotational tracking, all with on-board hardware, no external software at all. The IMU is processed on-board(Full AHRS) and emulates a mouse and keyboard. This works great and is pretty fun for games. The only thing that is missing is 'real' positional tracking like what the rift has. So I got a PSeye Cam and modded it for IR only. Then I took the mock silencer that came with the P90, and mounted a PinPong ball on the front with 3 IR LED inside. it give a perfect even glow that the cam sees well. I use CCV, witch is built on OpenCV, and I am getting below 3ms tracking.

So what I really need from all of you is some help. I need a good programmer or tow that wants to help me make this open source project a reality. Once this is done, then anyone can make an IR tracking and buy less that $50 dollars in hardware to make any sort of VR input they want, all rotationally and Positionally tracked in real time.

I know this doesn't represent the 'best' VR input solution, and what people really want is good hand tracking and things like that. What people NEED though is a good open source version that allows them to make their own custom controllers. This will save tons of times for Developers making motion controlled games, and give the end users a good input option when they are broke, or just can't make the investment.

So, PLEASE! Any and all help would be appreciated! I have done TONS of work already, and really just needs people that understand sending COM Part Data back and forth. I could even use an artist to make the UI(not that I couldn't), but I would LOVE to have as much outside input as possible.

~Bobby
Imagn' Games
NeoTokyo_Nori
Cross Eyed!

Re: OpenVRinput Needs help!

Post by NeoTokyo_Nori »

Hi, good luck on your project.
I am working on a controller that is almost done, but needs some more tweaking.

I am having trouble understanding a few things about your project...
You say you have the controller basically working (is that correct?), but you need "a good programmer or tow that wants to help me make this open source project a reality."
So are you looking for people to work on uploading and maintaining the project to a site?

Also, are you aiming for a general purpose vr input device, rather than just a gun?

cheers
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

Re: OpenVRinput Needs help!

Post by konstantin_lozev »

Hi, great idea and nice to see the enthusiasm! Can you please share details on what you do and how you do it? Also, what are the usage scenarios? From what I gather from your post, you are providing for a scenario where you are sitting in front of the TV. I'd say this is already pretty well covered with a wiimote and IR bar and GlovePIE.
Also, you mention there are good retail VR guns, but I canot think of any that have no pitch drift, are wireless and are workable for 360 degree scenario.
Now, the chalenge for me has been the pitch drift, since in a 360 degree scenario this is the real bummer for both the HMD and the gun. Just yesterday I finally finished a fully working highly customisable script on GlovePIE that completely does away with pitch drift. The basic idea is that the gyro provides a nice continuous pitch movement which gets "gently pulled" over a number of frames towards the accelerometer-measured pitch once the delta of gyro measured pitch exceeds several degrees since the previous alignment.
I will post soon a youtube video with explanations.
Otherwise, as I said, for in front of the TV scenario, I think the wiimote with IR bar has been the best solution IMHO. FYI, here is the wiimote gun in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OcXppj ... Jn8O351BPw. There should also be a link in the description.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”