The biggest display w/ highest resolution existing today is:

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
ThePhilosopher
One Eyed Hopeful

The biggest display w/ highest resolution existing today is:

Post by ThePhilosopher »

Hi!
I'm trying to make clear for all VR HMD enthusiasts about the choices of the BEST displays available to us.
I'll update the list regularly.

So, October 2014, the winner is (according to http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_vibe_z2_pro-6396.php ):

Lenovo Vibe Z2 Pro
1440 x 2560 pixels, 6.0 inches (~490 ppi pixel density) :o

The tricky thing now is to find the HDM able to handle our precious... VR cardboard, Carl Zeiss's VR One can't do it :(
I Would Choose The Matrix
Knightfury
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: The biggest display w/ highest resolution existing today

Post by Knightfury »

Probably a stupid question (fairly new so still catching up on a lot of the... generally known stuff) what electronics are we using to interface with this?
I caught some posts when I was lurking here before about a few bits of MIPI to hdmi bridge electronics but I'm trying to find the posts detailing where we stand at the moment.
Any help pointing me at them (or what's needed to get HDMI to drive the display on this) would be most humbly appreciated :)
13thFloor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 13thFloor »

I have a 6" 1440p RGB screen with MPI board, sitting on my desk as it arrived today.

I'm trying to decide how I can get it fitted easiest to start watching some movies on it. Possibly hack one of my chinese VR HMD device made for phones?
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

13thFloor wrote:I have a 6" 1440p RGB screen with MPI board, sitting on my desk as it arrived today.

I'm trying to decide how I can get it fitted easiest to start watching some movies on it. Possibly hack one of my Chinese VR HMD device made for phones?
CONGRATULATIONS......MARY VR CHRISTMAS

1) From where did you got screen?
2) How much did it cost to you?
3) How much does the controller board cost?
4) Are you planning to commercialize this like RIFTup........... just name it RIFT PINNACLE / RIFT GALAXY/ RIFT UP ABOVE UNIVERSE,
Sure you will have queue of buyers once you upload legitimate working video.

If you do not plan to sell, then too...
Photos and through lenses images will be highly appreciated....

Do change optics of Chinise VR HMD that's their weak point...
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

Post by konstantin_lozev »

I think the Colorcross HMD with the brackets could accomodate this...
13thFloor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 13thFloor »

Ok back from holidays and been able to plug this board up!! Only my laptop with a Intel HD 4000 GPU can see the display my desktop, Nvidia Shield tablet and phone don't so that will be an issue with MPI board and devices. I wanted Nvidia K1 tablet to power it for movie content or my HTC One(M7), but phone doesn't initialize properly either but most likely cheap ass MHL cable might be the problem there as seen similar problem before.

VR headset's in hand to mod :

I have this product :
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arri ... 59834.html

And this one :
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/wholesal ... 06319.html

I prefer the second one for comfort as most know the colorcross is too small for a normal adult size head. I just need to find correct lenses to that will fit and get spacing right. Standard lenses work but magnification is not enough so can see edges of 6" screen. Oculus DK1 lenses ideal but need to be closer to screen so a mod is in order. But using these result in distorted image so a software correction will be required to correct this and a decent SBS player.

Screen can only go up to 60hz refresh so wont be a decent 75hz+ solution. But as a HMD video device it should be perfect.

Goal at this stage is to get a nice clear video player that works. Play with a small battery pack for power and use a phone to enjoy content anywhere whilst having a clear picture. 1440p looks good from what I have seen so far playing with the lenses.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@13thFloor
Good to hear from you again..

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/wholesal ... 06319.html

I suggested long back..on 6 Nov here.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=20407

appeared to be nice build for this type of project.

Used by many enthusiast optics is
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-pocket-loupe ... 1148139033
Expect mild distortion...Though

waiting for your answers to my curiosity...... :)
13thFloor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 13thFloor »

Hi Dillip, answers below.

1) From where did you got screen? - Topfoison
2) How much did it cost to you? - $100 for screen.
3) How much does the controller board cost? - £150 for MPI board sample price
4) Are you planning to commercialize this like RIFTup........... just name it RIFT PINNACLE / RIFT GALAXY/ RIFT UP ABOVE UNIVERSE, - This is a option and interested to pursue if viable and interest is there. Looking to implement a modular design for HMD/VR project.

Very early days looking at this as only just received the screen and board. The board itself might not be ideal and require a better board that phones, tablets and PC can see correctly.

PM email if you want quicker access to chat about this, always keen for positive input.
ThePhilosopher
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ThePhilosopher »

1 year update (not quite :roll: ).

So, July 2015, the Best Display available to us now is :
So, one phone a year before, now lots of them :D

All of them have a 1440*2560 6" display, ~490 ppi pixel density

Interesting copies, Chinese manufacturers. Could we have a next generation now?

@13thFloor: What would be very cool would be to use your display and card controller that you've found but inside an HMD that can hold TWO of them!

I think about the StarVR (child of InfinitEye): http://www.starvr.com/
They plan apparently to use 2 1440*2560 displays (resulting in 1440*5120 total display).
But the DIY version of it would be so exciting! If some have already bought it here: http://topfoison.en.alibaba.com/product ... _inch.html ...

Apart from that, I still would love to try your type of display!
I Would Choose The Matrix
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@13thFloor Any new updates?

@ThePhilosopher
After seeing oculus's approach i think its more about smaller resolution in a smaller screen size (thus more ppi per screen) that can work better overall..eh?
2560X1440 is grunt for current gen PCs to drive it @ wow visuals..... I have also not seen any one appreciating driving 2.5K screen at 1080P.
its interesting situation no? You want more PPI but can't afford higher resolution content wise.

Now investing and DIYing defying purpose as OC CV1 being just months away....To settle down at low price i would rather buy Razer OSVR HDK at $200 than making something crude myself,
at least with OSVR polished hardware and nice build for that price is guaranteed.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Dilip wrote:After seeing oculus's approach i think its more about smaller resolution in a smaller screen size (thus more ppi per screen) that can work better overall..eh?
2560X1440 is grunt for current gen PCs to drive it @ wow visuals..... I have also not seen any one appreciating driving 2.5K screen at 1080P.
its interesting situation no? You want more PPI but can't afford higher resolution content wise.
Smaller screens are good for ergonomics, but optically they are difficult to work with. If you don't care about aesthetics/ergonomics it is always better to use a larger screen with the same resolution than a smaller one. The optics involved is much easier and can provide the same pixel density with fewer aberrations. Also it is easier to achieve a larger FOV.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

If we go larger screen over same resolution won't it be less PPI thus more Screen Door?
Isn't Screen door reason OC gone dual display to provide more tight packed image at low resolution?
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

If you use the same lenses on different screens then you will have different PPI. But if different lenses are designed for each screen and the screens are the same resolution then the PPI is the same. The difference will only be the magnifying power of the lenses. But otherwise the same number of pixels will be spread across the same number of degrees in your FOV.

Oculus uses dual screens for all sorts of technical reasons. But the choices are largely a compromise between providing the best display characteristics with the most ergonomic form factor.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

I thought going dual display was move to mitigate screen door while not exceeding current gen gamer grade pc processing power. Its nice to know though :)

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”