$99 wireless RiFt competitor uses Gear VR path

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
Knightfury
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: $99 wireless RiFt competitor uses Gear VR path

Post by Knightfury »

but... mipi to anything useful bridge electrics? The riftup has obviously done it but... it's a little beyond me I think at this moment.
mipi to edp seems to be "on the horizon" as well but... these all seem to be vapourware at the moment.
tooandrew
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tooandrew »

Just to throw this out there, I only have 8ms latency at a bit rate of 5 with a galaxy note 4 over ad hoc with a galaxy note 4 that's max clock speed is throttled a bit. Same latency with a bit rate of 15 with usb tethering. Using hardware decoding. I'll overclock to 2.8 ghz and see how that goes. I use limelight.
cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cadcoke5 »

I have not heard any software comparison between these various displays. A wonderful piece of hardware without software support is not even heavy enough to use as a door stop.

-Joe
tooandrew
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tooandrew »

I'm using Google cardboard, and what is basically the open source implementation of nvidias game streaming technology. If I can find the plugin that uses accelerometer data to emulate input from the rift, my implementation is essentially the same. I've been using it to play skyrim with a wiimote. You can set limelight to load any pc program.
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

what does everyone think compared to this one?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... escription

I was mainly interested in the cheap price, but the visusvr looks like to be a more complete solution?
kupfnerjw
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kupfnerjw »

Knightfury wrote:Don't want to post this everywhere but... do we know of electronics to drive this LG screen?
I can grab a genuine (LG G3 screen) part for about £100 (not bad) and already have built some tracking that's up in the realms of Occulus territory (using an MPU-9150 + arduino pro micro - aka "ED Tracker"). What's needed to drive this though?

If someone can point me at electronics to drive it (I'm digging through threads here but it's kinda slow going as there's no easy terms to search for so I'm still hunting random promising looking threads for further search terms) I can try and get one of these mounted.

I was wondering something similar. Here is a copy of my post with some research.

I wonder how many pins the LG G3 display has on it's own (the wide ribbon is for the display, the small ribbon coming off of the display goes to the touch controller). I would like to try using the display by itself as a monitor instead of the signal being routed to the phone via wi-fi. If I can find out how many pins the ribbon has, then find out if a controller kit like the VS-TY2662-V1 is compatable (even if I have to splicing/soldering), then the lcd may be usable straight up as a monitor. :woot http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFgxMDI0/ ... i/$_57.JPG

If it would work (IF!), I would start building a light weight (albeit wired) hmd. Then my next leap would be getting a gyro and head tracking installed.

Thanks for all of the information that you peeps have provided. This gives me that tickly feeling inside!

Maybe I could make something like claire by VRunion this away. http://vrunion.com/#claire

It of course would be much cheaper than $2500!

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”