What affects the FOV ?

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
bergo
One Eyed Hopeful

What affects the FOV ?

Post by bergo »

Hey all,
I was wondering, what really determines the FOV when using HMD ? I understand it's the combination between the lenses and the screen, and the distance between them, but I'm looking for a technical explanation regarding how they combined to create the FOV to the end user.
Oculus did manage to get pretty high FOV but it's still not as wide as real life FOV,
Did they change to 5" in the dk2 to make it more comfortable, and found a better lenses to keep the current FOV?
Is it just a way to keep room for improvements in future HMD ?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: What affects the FOV ?

Post by Fredz »

bergo wrote:what really determines the FOV when using HMD ?
Basically, this :
DK1-horizontal-fov.png
bergo wrote:Oculus did manage to get pretty high FOV but it's still not as wide as real life FOV
Yep there is quite some margin for that. The human FOV is around 270°x125°, the Rift is less than half that horizontally and a bit lower vertically.
bergo wrote:Did they change to 5" in the dk2 to make it more comfortable
They changed to 5.7" panels, probably because they were the biggest OLED panels available in 1080p (from the Galaxy Note 3). Palmer said some years ago that around 6" was probably ideal.
bergo wrote:and found a better lenses to keep the current FOV?
I think they used ~10X aspheric lenses to do that. Previous lenses were 7X. No idea if the new lenses are off-the-shelf or custom produced though.
bergo wrote:Is it just a way to keep room for improvements in future HMD ?
I think they go for the best possible solution at each iteration and that they're constantly discovering better things.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”