1080p Oculus Rift Clone idea!

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

1080p Oculus Rift Clone idea!

Post by pierreye »

Hi,

I'm been waiting impatiently for 1080p Oculus Cove and thinking to build a similar unit using available parts in the market. The first idea is to use Nvidia Gamingstream to the 1080p 5" Tegra 4 phone. After my research, it seems Xiaomi Mi3 might fit the description as it is using 5" 1080p display, Tegra 4 and support Wireless ac standard (Gigabit wireless to support the graphic streaming). Now my question where can I get the lens that can give around 90 degrees FOV that can stretch the image 2x the width without distortion and the Head Casing?

As for 3D, I own a device call Lumagen Radiance Mini that can convert framepack 3D to SBS 3D so that solve part of the Nvidia 3D Vision problem that doesn't support SBS 3D gaming.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: 1080p Oculus Rift Clone idea!

Post by V8Griff »

The main feature of the Crystal Cove screen wasn't just the 1080p but it's low persistence and the software techniques they used to blank the screen. I'd be surprised if any of the devices commercially available out there have that screen or capablity?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

V8Griff wrote:The main feature of the Crystal Cove screen wasn't just the 1080p but it's low persistence and the software techniques they used to blank the screen.
Exactly. Do you know how they may have implemented the screen blanking ? I don't see how it could be done in software with an OLED screen (I see how with a LCD though) and thought it was done in hardware.
V8Griff wrote:I'd be surprised if any of the devices commercially available out there have that screen or capablity?
I think they were using the display from a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, that's the only OLED display I know with an adequate screen size (5.7") and the confirmed resolution (1920×1080) and PenTile matrix.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

I see. I'm just thinking something simple with anamorphic 2x width lens and a conversion from framepack 3D to SBS would do the trick. Thanks for the input.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

I'm betting the low persistence happens in the driver firmware.

It would make logical sense to make persistence a function of brightness
(up brightness, increase persistence; lower brightness, decrease persistence).
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I can understand how you can modulate brightness in software over time in a single frame with a LCD since the pixels levels and the backlight are independant. You would use a device driver with high precision timers or GPU IRQs to start and stop the backlight.

But I don't see how this would be possible with an OLED panel where there is no backlight. You can't modulate brightness over the course of a single frame but only between frames. So I don't see how it could be possible to do this in software.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Well, they have to control brightness in OLEDs somehow right? They just PWM the screen like brightness-control for normal LEDs.

So they have the option of either making it so the brightness controls work by changing the pulse width of the image on the screen (low persistence style)

OR they can make brightness normal PWM like it is now, but modified for low-persistence by flashing according to input from USB.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I guess it depends on how PWM is implemented on the software side. If it does only allow to specify the duty cycle (percentage of illumination) then I guess it's not possible to do it in software. I guess that's why some people say (BlurBusters and Palmer) that not all OLED are low-persistent. Hmm, I need to have a look at the Android API to see how it can be controlled on my Galaxy S4.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

I'm guessing it's safe to assume that the PWM rate (for controlling chroma) of the AMOLED (at least for the crystal cove) is at least 256 times faster than the length of the low persistence pulse. While the low persistence pulse is activated by something like V-sync that's part of the physical display transport protocol such like HDMI. This can all be done in firmware on the panel driver side, and be easily activated and deactivated by commands sent via USB.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”