Explorations in Full-Body VR using the Xsens MVN IMU system

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
Polyganz
One Eyed Hopeful

Explorations in Full-Body VR using the Xsens MVN IMU system

Post by Polyganz »

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right forum for what I'm currently working on. If it isn't feel free to move it.

I've been doing lots of research for how bring your own body into VR in an profitable way. What I've decided to use and what I've some hands on experience is the MVN system by Xsens together with the Oculus Rift DK1. I decided to use their system because it seems pretty solid and I've only heard good things about its capabilities. The fact that it is the only Mocap system that has a working real-time Unity3D (as far as I know) was also a largely contributing factor. Keep in mind that this isn't a consumer friendly system as a whole setup costs a couple of 10k Euros. However my goal is to find out what kind of games could work well in VR that utilize your whole body. Hopefully I can provide some proof-of-concept games that validate the development of a consumer-friendly motion-capture technology for games. Obviously there are a lot of constraints and issues around full-body VR but I'll save those for later. For now let me just share what I found out and what I'm currently working on.

Ok first off all the whole things works great. Once you put on the Rift all your movements feel really natural as if you were in the virtual space. There is no lag from the system as far as I could tell. We were streaming at 30 fps to Unity3D but kept the head-tracking from the Oculus because lower tracking then 60 fps introduced strong motion sickness. I did some simple physics interactions test which worked out great and felt rewarding even tough there was no haptic feedback. I'm assuming this is largely due to immediate visual feedback.

I've put together some footage here:

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE9U_MTP ... detailpage[/youtube-hd]

If you want to read more about the problems I've encountered then feel free to visit my blog post: http://tobis-world.tumblr.com/post/7418 ... al-reality

Following my blog post I got contacted by Xsens and I'm now working together with one of their engineers to further develop the possibilities of this technology.

Right now I'm working on getting the Oculus Rift wireless. Since the new MVN system can stream up to 120 fps I'll try using a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver and completely ignore the tracking from the Oculus. Theoretically this should work fine but I haven't tried it yet. If it does it would solve some hassle as I could just attach some battery pack with an USB 5 volt adapter and I'm good to go.

Ok thats it for now.
I'll update this thread with any new developments. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to ask me any questions.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Explorations in Full-Body VR using the Xsens MVN IMU sys

Post by cybereality »

Very cool.
grandmaster789
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by grandmaster789 »

Looking pretty good :)
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Cool project!
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Hmm, I know you can get YEI IMUs working in Unity via Serial, but I'm not sure about doing that with bluetooth:
http://www.yeitechnology.com/productdis ... ter-bundle

It's worth looking into seeing as how YEI's system costs a little less than half as much. Not to mention their impending PrioVR system which costs a tenth of that (which you already know about).

Gigabyte Skyvision is a good choice for wireless HDMI; small, powered by Mini-USB, blazing fast (1-2ms additional latency), and 1080p with audio. Really anything WHDI is a good choice.
Polyganz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Polyganz »

Oh sweet! Thank you!

I didn't know you could buy IMU's like that. The real question will probably how to get the setup working in Unity and how the motion data is handled. I know that Xsens is doing a few things to optimize and streamline the data so you'll get proper results in Unity. Might be a little tricky I assume. But ya for a price of about 10% of what an MVN system costs it might be a good idea to look into it.

Have you used the Skyvision with the Oculus?

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”