Complex optics

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
BobCat
One Eyed Hopeful

Complex optics

Post by BobCat »

IX
Last edited by BobCat on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
capnbigmoney
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Contact lenses instead of complex optics and pixel warpi

Post by capnbigmoney »

im sure this would work but would be a pain in the ass to do for recreation because of taking them on and off cause if you had to go do something in the middle of watching you would be totally blind and have to take them out. but im sure if you posted on an podiatrist board they could do the math with your currant prescription so you could take it to your eye doctor and he could get you a pair to try.
BobCat
One Eyed Hopeful

X

Post by BobCat »

X
Last edited by BobCat on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

BobCat wrote:I've searched through the forums, but I haven't found any mention of this.
Really ? :
Hybrid HMD-Video Contact Lens System
3D with contact lenses? Is it possible?
Breakthrough: LED contact lenses
Different kind of VR glasses

This video also :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khWE-GYccRg

And this paper (ask the author for the PDF if you're interested) :
Towards Convergence in a Virtual Environment: Omnidirectional Movement, Physical Feedback, Social Interaction and Vision
Excerpt wrote:Also, a newapproach is taken to the design of a head mounted display with minimal weight through optics in the formof soft contact lenses, mounted directly on the eyes.
BobCat
One Eyed Hopeful

X

Post by BobCat »

X
Last edited by BobCat on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cadcoke5 »

On another thread, a while back, I had mentioned the idea of using reading glasses. Also, people who use glasses are used to things outside of the eye frame being out of focus. So, I doubt that contacts will be a humongous benefit.

Now that reading glasses are at dollar stores, they are cheap to try. Some of them are aviator-style lenses, which are larger than most styles. But, typically, you can only get up to about +3 diopters in dollar stores.. On e-bay I see +4 diopter aviator versions for $7. I wonder if this is because the stronger the prescription, the more important it is to get the inter-ocular distance correct. Otherwise eyestrain may be an issue.

I have seen on-line prescription glasses for under $30, but the very high diopter glasses (i.e. over +6) are more expensive, because you can't just use their regular stock polycarbonate lenses. One possible low-cost source is http://www.goggles4u.com. Note that you can't choose the very high strengths for every frame. I don't know if this is a technical limitation, or just because a very big frame with a thick lens may not be something most people will want. You may also need to talk to them first in case there are any special considerations for VR application.

Note that you are prompted to select if they are for reading or distance. I am sure "distance" is the better choice, since that is the direction you will be looking. For reading glasses, the actual area you are looking through is slightly down and narrower than your normal interocular distance, since are you are typically looking at something down and nearby.

I will mention that another on-line eyeglass site had a field for "prism". I am guessing that this might be an interesting thing for home-brew VR. You may not get a lot of prism from prescription glasses, but it would allow you to improve your field of vision. For an example of using prism, if you used a single screen and LCD shutter glasses to see the entire screen with each eye. Then you would want your prism to aim the vision towards the center of the screen and not have to go cross-eyed to do it.

Of course, my message here is from someone who is not an eye doctor or optometrist. Though, they obviously are going to be better at dealing with these things. But, you can order on-line glasses without a doctor's prescription.

-Joe Dunfee
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I very much doubt a larger portion of the public would be willing to use contact lenses to use VR - not as long as there are alternatives available.
And then there are people like me that can't wear them (there are a ton of different reasons people can use them).

It certainly is an interesting concept for DIY HDMs, but I do not see anyone using it for a commercial product.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

GeraldT wrote:I very much doubt a larger portion of the public would be willing to use contact lenses to use VR - not as long as there are alternatives available.
And then there are people like me that can't wear them (there are a ton of different reasons people can use them).

It certainly is an interesting concept for DIY HDMs, but I do not see anyone using it for a commercial product.
That is so sad. But i think it could become anyway an alternative. There are already 100million contact lens wearers on the planet and innovega-inc is a vr/ar company. Definiteley a market there.
Would be so cool if Sony would put in there, their magnetic eye tracking system for foveated eye tracking.
A technology to overjump many generations of shrinking electronics and buying various VGAs.
But i guess we have to wait another decade for people to realize that the technological progress has already come so far :roll:
Or will it this time be different , with people laser focused onto the ultimative goal to step as fast as possible into a lalaland.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”