Project Openloop - cell phone VR for the Riftless

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Project Openloop - cell phone VR for the Riftless

Post by blazespinnaker »

Hey 33baboons:

I'd like to (or someone) apply for the cool idea award:

http://www.protolabs.com/coolideaapplynow.aspx?awk=true

Applying for a Cool Idea! Award is easy—simply download the application form using the link provided below. Complete and email the completed form directly to coolidea@protolabs.com. The application form will ask you for:
A description of the project/product
An explanation for why you think their project/product is “cool”
What kind of support do you need? (molded parts, machined parts, quantities, timeline, etc.)
What is the overall benefit to the end-user of your product

Additionally, you will need to upload the accompanying 3D CAD model(s) for review by clicking on the “Upload a Part” link below. Should you be selected for a Cool Idea! Award, you must use the award within 90 days, so you should be at a stage in your project to begin executing immediately.

The application is in Adobe PDF format. If you do not have Adobe Reader to view the PDFs, you can download it here.

I think if we stress the open source nature of the project, how cool it is (it is very cool!), that it's ideal size for the protomold, as well as our interest in using protomold as the premier fab source (because it's an open source project and therefore investments in full tooling doesn't make sense), we might have a shot.

Let me know if you'd like to do the application or if you'd like me to do it.

Cheers
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
Am0k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Am0k »

it would be sooo great if there were some Games actually for iPhone 5 or some application to use.
Like Doom,Minecraft.. with headtracking..
Or Augmented Reality Apps.

Or does someone know how to convert a 2D game in 3D? my OpenLoop works great with movies but gaming would be amazing!

Android has some good apps like (doom).

Iam aktually trying to learn some Java with Unity but its quite difficult.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Durovis has a plugin for unity to build head tracking games on iphone.

http://www.durovis.com/sdk.html

"Dive Tracking is now for Android and iPhone/iPod. Your Project stays the same. You just drag the Dive Camera Setup to your scene and you get lightning fast Head Tracking on both Platforms."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t6cKD5DtoE
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

blazespinnaker wrote:Durovis has a plugin for unity to build head tracking games on iphone.

http://www.durovis.com/sdk.html

"Dive Tracking is now for Android and iPhone/iPod. Your Project stays the same. You just drag the Dive Camera Setup to your scene and you get lightning fast Head Tracking on both Platforms."

So do I, specifically setup for openloop - it's on the dropbox share in the zip file. I've just uploaded the unity package as a standalone as well.

2 flavours - one for unity pro and one for unity basic.

blaze, I'll have a read of the coolidea award page and come back to you. Seems like nothing to lose on a first glance, but I'll read through properly.

anyway - real reason for this post was a heads-up for anyone who's downloaded the plateless models - I had hidden the plate in the blender scene, so if you export the unit to shapeways (obviously delete the phone dummy before exporting), the faceplate is still there.

So for those not familiar with blender - alt-H to unhide all, delete the faceplate and delete the phone dummy, then export what's left to .obj and upload to shapeways (scale is meters for shapeways)

or re-download from the share as I've updated them there.

it's growing on me more, the plateless one. (plus, it's slightly cheaper)
Last edited by thirty3baboons on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Had a look at the cool idea award - I'd need some sort of an idea of demand and I really have no clue - so anybody who's lurking this thread, or downloading to play with openloop who'd be interested in a moulded, rather than 3D printed openloop for what I would assume would be substantially cheaper than a 3D print......please shout.

Or anybody generally who'd have an idea where to start with getting that kind of thing going - DM me, please.

thanks.
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

At the risk of spamming my own thread....

Here's a quick airplay capture of the demo included in the unity package - this is using the pro prefab asset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbNC6aSizSg
Last edited by thirty3baboons on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

Just a small update on my go on the OpenLoop Design for the HTC One.

As you can see it's a rather radical edit of thirty3baboons design with much bigger cutouts for the
display to cover more display area and is designed to fit 38mm lenses instead of the 21mm lenses
his original design used. To accomodate for the new focal length i had to slightly extend the base.
I also centered the HTC One screen on all axes, so it could be used with video content as well.

I wasn't too sure if his lens mount would work with my lenses so i designed a new one with seperate
lens covers (yay, colors!) which will have to be stuck and most probably glued on for now.

Estimated shipping is end of october, so i guess i won't have the print before mid of november.
Until then i won't share the object files because i just don't know if my design works at all. It
should in theory, thats all i know for now. ;)

One more thing to note, my edit has become slightly more expensive. 88$ excluding tax and shipping.
To make things even worse, the lenses i use are 20€ each. But thats why they are of very good
quality as well...

Let's see how things work out.

Greetings,

SinSilla
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

SinSilla - I hope your nose still fits in the gap between the lens cones!

Fingers crossed.
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

Nose? ...Nose! Totally forgot i got one! Lol, now that will be interesting...
Am0k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Am0k »

Just a short question.

is There any iPhone SBS game? out there you liek to share?

id like to seat a game. If possible with Headtrackign like Quake 2 or smth. else :)
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

The only game i know which was supposed to have a sbs mode was Flashout 3d. I don't know if it made it to the final version though....
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

thanks to unity adding native support for ios controllers, openloop now has 2 new prefabs for basic and pro openloop first person controllers.

Now I just need to throw together a nice little demo to walk and jump around in by the time apple shows their hardware hand on the 22nd :)
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Hannibalj2 »

blazespinnaker wrote:Cool!

Have you looked at protomold? Who do you use as your 3d printer?
What are you using to create the 3d models? I usually use sketchup, but I've been thinking of shelling out a $100 or so for something paid.

It'd be great if we could all contribute to the design.

I am trying to figure out a way to easily adjust for different phone/tablet sizes without having to have interchangeable parts.
You can look into "Space Claim" Is currently what I use. Is more than $100 mind you. Similar to Sketchup , but it is more streamlined for product design.

Cheers
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

Just wanted to share a little update with you guys since im pretty excited!

I have received my lenses and they seem to be the perfect fit for what i have in mind (watching 3D Movies that is). :)

They are of superb optical quality and have only slight distortion on the edges. Most importantly i'm able to cover almost the entire frame of a 16:9 movie with them which is awesome! FoV seems to be pretty good (Lichtmond SBS 3D in "Fullscreen", that means without correct aspect ratio, is quite mindblowing, even handhold!!), but i will wait until i have received my actual openloop for further testing. First parts are already printed, shouldn´t take too long now.

Following is a rough illustration for you, from top to bottom:

1) Original 16:9 SBS Frame (effectively 960x540)
2) Picture taken with a Sigma 19mm through the actual lens, Lens Distortion (of the Sigma Lens!) corrected in Lightroom. What i'm seeing with my bare eye is much sharper though and covering slightly more displayarea
3) Actual Barrel Distortion i apply to each frame of the 3D SBS Movies

It's a huge pain in the *** to rerender all the movies but totally worth the effort! (main purpose of the rendering is to get them to their right aspect ratio, distortion correction is just an added benefit)
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Looks good. If only the lenses were a bit cheaper :)

I see Apple surprised nobody....again, so no sign of a controller anf no real tush to release code\demo for the first person controller.

I'll keep plodding on.
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

Yes, sadly they are on the expensive side.

Looks promising so far, but i`m afraid that there are some serious hurdles i have to overcome if i'm not being lucky, what i am not most of the time ^^
Too narrow IPD for these lenses is my biggest fear right now and i can just hope and pray that it will all fit. Oh, and i forgot to leave room for the headphonejack!! :lol: But thats a minor problem...
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

If the headphone jack is on a corner, you should be fine.

There seemed to be a decent enough sweet spot on the lenses I have for a wide range of people - everyone who's tried has found them comfortable, so I'm sure you'll be fine

Probably won't work well on fish though ;P

Ipd is why I gave up over a year ago as the iPhone 4's screen just wasn't big enough to push the eyes far enough apart.

I should really get the current version printed or everyone else who has a go will have a better version than I have!
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Hey SinSilla - any sign of your print yet?
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

Excuse me? :lol:

Well, it actually went faster than i thought! Delivery took only 2 days and arrived yesterday. First of all i was surprised of the quality of the printed structure.
This has been my very first 3d-printed object and i just didn't know what to expect. It's super acurate and detailed and has a great finish. It's looking like a professional product!

I have been so nervous the days before because i was sure i have made some mistakes. So sure that i have already finished a Version 2.0 of my edit. :D
Turns out i dont have to spent any more cash on the print because my errors are quite irrelevant in the end. Some cosmetic things because of mesh errors i introduced during editing and some minor measuring errors.

The lenses fit very snuggly but the distance to the display is too long by a mere milimeter, but since i played around so much with the lenses beforehand i immediately noticed the slight blur because of that misalignment. But it's quite okay! Sadly i have f*cked up with glue, the outer ring of my lenses have become dull. But it's mostly a cosmetic error, i guess peripheral vision could look slightly better without that.

My first job of applying the cushion for the face was looking goofy and resulted in a very blurred image in the image center which was extremely weird. Looks like i had the whole thing strapped with an angle to my face, i have redone the cushion today with great success. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but i can totally wear it for a longer time now.

Well, on to impressions!

I have tried all available VR Demos (for android) and a bunch of movies i have rendered specifically for my lenses. It's quite awesome! I can only guess, but the FoV should be between 75 and 90 degrees, really hard to tell. It's immersive and workable enough to ease the waiting time for the Rift for sure! Riding the VR Rollercoaster is convincing enough to let you feel vertigo and that odd feeling in your stomach when your rollin down. "Playing" Shadowgun VR standing up is also really immersive and gives you a really good sense of presence and scale. I was immediately looking for my hands and way annoyed i didn't have any anymore. :lol:

Just yet i have seen that someone released an VR Cinema for Android! Awesome, i'll have to try that one asap!

Some final thoughts: this experiment has proven me that 1080p is not enough. While the screendoor is minimal, it's noticeable and a major difference to watching a 1080p tv screen at a distance for obvious reasons. Still, it's very much enjoyable! Second, this is not an Oculus Rift replacement! But it gives a pretty good glimpse at the things to come and makes the waiting so much easier!

So thanks for sharing your design with us thirty3baboons!

Greetings,

Sin
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Now they're big lenses! Looks really great and I like the splash of blue.

Any chance you could share your source - I may give those a go!

Oh and I see you are suffering from a bit of foam tape sticking failure at the top. I think it's the bend and found a dab of super glue sorts it.

I see oculus are talking android. That's good to hear. If it's a dedicated device, no doubt it will use the oculus tracker for less latency.

Would be nice to think there's an Openloop on a desk at oculus, just for a laugh :)
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

Of course I'll share my Source Files! I think I'll have them ready at the weekend, just want to correct some minor issues before sharing. I just tried the VR Cinema, its really awesome! The way you control the movie is really smart and can be done completely with your head. Very very clever and well integrated.

The pictures are of my first approach btw, my second one looks better. I'll upload more pictures soon.
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Thanks :) I actually meant where did you get your lenses, but I'd love to see your mods

Your head strap looks like it's elasticated, I like the idea of that.

Wishing I actually had an android phone to try with it as I'm having to make my own software for iPhone. I could try my nexus 7, but that's probably a bit on the big side :D
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

Oh, okay I see!

I'll just share my shapeway models with you, i have linked the lenses from there and made the object downloadable!
The shapeway model is actually an edited version of my first version with a slightly larger IPD (by 2mm) and some other minor corrections like corrected focal distance. I haven't printed that one yet though (and don't plan to, to be honest)

OpenLoop HTC One Edition - Base
OpenLoop HTC One Edition - Lens Clip

If someone wants to print that one feel free to ask your questions before!!!
pagitko
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pagitko »

Hi ..new here. I'm loving this thread. I can't wait to try out some of the tracking in unity. I heard that they included the real-time camera texture in 4.3. Is that true? so we can do the warping for free now?
This is a link to some good lenses. from GoShow.info they are large and not so expensive. The update looks good too, you can now turn out the lights.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M7 ... e=&seller=
pagitko
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pagitko »

Has anyone tried to build the Android version of the demo scene? I did get it to build for Android and install.. I see one of the walls but the gyro script doesn't seem to be working. The little circles spin in the top left hand corner. :cry:

I tried it in both landscape left and right.
Idea's
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

Now just make a Galaxy S4 edition! :)
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
pagitko
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pagitko »

Nevermind..my bad I was trying to build the pro version with the free ver of Unity :| . Shame.. I guess that answers my question.

fireslayer26: Goshow.info just posted a diy template in the build section for an s4

http://www.goshow.info/#!blank/cu62
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

pagitko wrote:Has anyone tried to build the Android version of the demo scene? I did get it to build for Android and install.. I see one of the walls but the gyro script doesn't seem to be working. The little circles spin in the top left hand corner. :cry:

I tried it in both landscape left and right.
Idea's
Sorry, haven't been around for a while - for some reason it's not telling me when there are new posts.

I don't have an android device, so haven't tested it - it *should* work properly, but I can't guarantee that...but without pro, you've got no rendertexture and it relies on that. The basic one avoids it, but you don't get distortion correction.
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

fireslayer26 wrote:Now just make a Galaxy S4 edition! :)
I believe the galaxy S4 will fit and work in the HTCOne version - the footprint of the devices is very similar.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@thirty3baboons

Can you suggest which of your creation will work for MOTOROLA G
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/mo ... g-pdp.html

I am tempted to try Phone VR specifically because this little baby has awesome display of 4.5 inches diagonal (11.3 cm)
1280 x 720 HD, 329 ppi and a good processor.

Dimentions:

Height 129.9 mm
Width 65.9 mm
Depth 6.0-11.6 mm (curve)
Weight 143 grams

Can you suggest openloop compatible with this
Thanks in advance.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

on multiple occasions i got the thought what if we decrease lenses power from 8X to say 6X or 4X . I know it will decrease the FOV, but what if some one looking for big screen experience and not so burning on FoV. Isn't that provide more crisp and pixel packed image?

Can i use 6X or 4X lenses on your project?
will it require to be entirely reworked for them or any current design will do?
for example if some one uses 4X lenses on HTC one design with HTC one Will it work or it got to be redesigned for distance and focus issues.

I am more interested in movie/video use for phone. like i would love to watch GAME OF THRONES SEASON 4
episodes on 55" ish kind of screen on the go. its great use besides games.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@thirty3baboons

http://www.ebay.in/itm/5x-pocket-loupe- ... 1148139033

how about this 5X aspheirc i want to give them a try, as the one which you mentioned has WHOPPING 30X magnification.
Why to go such large?

Why are you wasting big area of screen?

How about pyramid base lenses cons instead of using conical lenses cons, so that end of screen remains square and use maximum screen real estate?

What are your thoughts on 15X power?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/15X-Eye-Loupe-Ma ... 3a904c17aa

I think its 2 times more pixel packed image of what 30X can offer, yet it will be less distorted but sadly this lenses are not aspheric atleast they did not mentioned
Last edited by Dilip on Wed May 14, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

I'm not actually wasting any of an iPhone 5 screen, with each eye aperture filling all of the available screen width(landscape, so top-bottom) and big zoom = short focal length, so I get 90 degrees plus fov without having a huge distance between screen and lenses.

With a bigger screen, like the moto g, you can get away with lower zoom, but for the lenses available cheaply and the desired headset size, this works and looks better thank an oculus dk1 from a rez perspective.

I'll have a look at fitting a moto g model later today
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Wow. 7 months since I last touched this - I do get distracted easily.

Anyway - here's a moto-G sized version.

which is interesting, as I now own a moto-G. :)

it can be found on the dropbox further up this thread, but for those who can't be bothered to go back:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7bmdk0jx6gn9w9p/ddzy_bQNzE
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Great to find you too own this piece of wonder.
Hows battery life works for you?
For me in a single full charging (4~5 hours) it last for a day if i use 2G net connection always on. 3G suckes battery i have to keep it off turning on only for big download on the go or online HD video viewing. else always on 3G suckes battery in just 5 Hours (Indian version is dual sim so i use both 2G 3G on different operators.)

Rest all is absolutely wonder. Screen looks WOW with 329PPI. Color and saturation is great. Sound is BOOMing and Head Phone performance with my Skullcandy sends in Trance. Its Great Phone. I have seen GOT S4 E1-5 on it and i am blown away by its performance..Simply Amazing :) :) :)

Have you tried Openloop with it?

What if eye cup designed pyramid style with lenses cap round and base square. won't it increase screen estate?

Hearty Thanks for Prompt upload of moto G version :D
heteroerectus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by heteroerectus »

Hey SinSilla, what software did you use to create the distortion in your movies?
kyol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kyol »

Hey guys! Not sure if anyone is still working on this, but I'm interested in adapting it to a Samsung Galaxy S4. I'm not sure what kind of lenses to get, as some people say 7x power is not strong enough, and that I should get 30x loupes instead.

Also, which of the files included in the distro kit would I send to a 3D printer?

Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Which 7X you are talking about.........one of these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UltraOptix-Pock ... 3a8febbb42

These are Aspheric and will introduce very minimal distortion and image will be 'High Quality' compared to what you would get from 30x loupes which will introduce spherical distortion and may be little chromatic aberration too. But they are cheapo!

If your intended use games only and you are tight on budget (2 lenses will set back you by only 7$) go for 30X loupes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jewelers-Eye-Lo ... 2c6a47059a

If you want to enjoy SBS 3D Movies + Crisp Image Gaming and OK to shell out little more (2 lenses will set back you by little more as 18$) then go for Ultraoptix 7X, simple.
ThePhilosopher
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ThePhilosopher »

Wonderful project!
If it can fit with the next 5.7" 4k Galaxy Note 4, it'd be perfect !

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs: 4K curved-screen phone for September IFA unveiling
I Would Choose The Matrix
JoseM2S
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JoseM2S »

Dilip wrote:Which 7X you are talking about.........one of these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UltraOptix-Pock ... 3a8febbb42

These are Aspheric and will introduce very minimal distortion and image will be 'High Quality' compared to what you would get from 30x loupes which will introduce spherical distortion and may be little chromatic aberration too. But they are cheapo!

If your intended use games only and you are tight on budget (2 lenses will set back you by only 7$) go for 30X loupes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jewelers-Eye-Lo ... 2c6a47059a

If you want to enjoy SBS 3D Movies + Crisp Image Gaming and OK to shell out little more (2 lenses will set back you by little more as 18$) then go for Ultraoptix 7X, simple.
¿And both lenses (Ultraoptic 7x aspheric and 30x21mm) produce the same FOV and have the same focal length? I finished my DIY HMD and want to use it to play Side-By-Side PC games with my two phones (iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3) and I can't decide which of the two lenses buy. On the one hand 7x lenses are aspherical (I read aspheric lenses are better) but besides being expensive. I'm afraid to buy them and they don't give me a good FOV. I have a 5x spherical Chinese lenses and I see the screen as if it was a tv in front of my eyes, but it's not immersive.

And on the other hand are the 30x21mm used by thirty3baboons in openloop, he says the screendoor is less than the DK1 and the FOV is smaller than the DK1 but not much, so it's the closest thing to having a Oculus Rift. I think if it looks good on the iPhone 5 with those lenses with Galaxy S3 will look the same and even better the resolution and screen size.

Hope you can help me in my dilemma. ¡Thank you!

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”