Project Openloop - cell phone VR for the Riftless

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Project Openloop - cell phone VR for the Riftless

Post by thirty3baboons »

Hi All,

Time to stop lurking and start contributing :)

Like a lot of people on these boards, I've been inspired by the Rift to start working on a little project. I call mine "openloop".

Openloop's a low cost (currently under $60 for print and parts), small form-factor VR head-mount that relies on tech I already had (iphone5) to produce a decent VR experience. I started building openloop out of curiosity, to see it could be done. Turns out, it can!

I'm lucky enough to have a Rift devkit, but I know a lot of people aren't and are either (1) Waiting in the queue, (2) Not convinced enough to part with $300 yet or (3) waiting for the consumer version and it's killing them, so thought I'd share, so others can give it a try, if they so desire.

This is openloop version1 (hopefully inline images work!):

This first version is 2 pieces. The black section is (obviously) a necessity, but the front plate is purely cosmetic and the device works fine without it.
It has a few minor issues, some from the resolution of the 3D print, some from me just not measuring properly (measure twice, order 3D print once!) which I'm currently addressing for the next iteration and also looking at either working out a universal solution or coming up with adjusted versions for the major cell phone footprints (being badgered by someone for an HTC One M7 version!)

So, it works and my intended next step (once I've tweaked out the bugs) is to share it. I'm using shapeways to print and anyone who wants to try it out should be able to order their own prints once I've shared it, in whatever material they choose to print it in (so if you really want a purple back section, with gold front plate, go for it. It's your money and I won't question your taste ;) )

As far as software goes, I've built some unity prefabs for the camera setup and if there's anybody would like to give this a go, I'll tidy up the code, make it a bit more adaptive to differing screen resolutions and put in bluetooth controller support (not running ios7 yet, so can't test, but that's not an issue for the android fans) - it needs unity pro, unfortunately. I don't have a way around that unless I drop the lens distortion - but now I've typed that, I'll give it a go and see how much it alters the experience.

Either way, I'm planning on sharing:
1) Access to models for printing from shapeways
2) download of the unity prefabs to build your own VR experiences
3) Links to the lenses used, head strap and foam padding
4) Instructions on how to assemble (really not hard)

Again - currently it costs less than $60 for the whole thing completed - but as a warning, V2 uses more plastic on the 3D print, so might be a little bit more, shapeways charge by volume!

thanks for being an inspiring group of people!
Last edited by thirty3baboons on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
vrvision
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Project Openloop - cell phone VR for the Riftless

Post by vrvision »

Great build!!!!

What kind of lenses are you using btw?
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Wow, this is amazing. Great job, the fit and finish look excellent. Now I just want to know where I can buy it!

Thank you for sharing,
Steve
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

thanks.

The lenses are cheapos 31x - 21mm loupes from ebay, loads of sellers. Couple of $ each.

I'm working on v2 now that fixes a minor issue with some side vents being a bit "floppy", the nose cut out being a little tight and the biggest issue - I cut away the lens funnels to keep the cost way down, but you can see the adjacent portal through the corner of your eye if you look to an extreme, so I'm blocking them back in.

So far, V2 is between these 3 - probably more likely the 3rd as 1 and 2 come in at $90-$100 and I just feel that's too much and out of the "worth a laugh" bracket.

ImageImageImage

First one is a flip up faceplate, fits iphone5, 2nd one is universal back with a slide on faceplate, you buy the plate that fits your phone. 3rd one would be a phone specific back, but one piece and a lot cheaper to print.

You will be able to buy them, but I'm not selling - I'd like this to be fairly open, so will post links to the unity prefabs here, locations for lenses and foam (hint - ebay!) and links to the shapeways model, so you can choose your finish to suit your budget and print off for yourself. I'd like it to be possible to make for about the price of a console game, so $60-70 or £40-50 whichever currency you prefer ;)

Putting it together takes less than 5 minutes and is a point and click exercise

oh and if the iphone5 isn't enough for scale, it's 13x6x7cm and that includes the foam padding.
soderstrom
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by soderstrom »

Hey, here is another long time lurker with his first post. Your Project looks really interesting! :woot
bobjwatts
Cross Eyed!

Post by bobjwatts »

This looks really slick, nice work thirty3baboons!

I would give it a go for sure. 31x lenses! When I created my iPhone5 HMD with 5x the resolution was pretty good, of course the FOV wasn't great. How is the screen door with 31x?

I imagine blocking in the cones/funnels would be important for the inner like you say, but you could still have the outer sides open if you needed to shave off some cost/weight
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Screen door is much less pronounced than my rift devkit and quickly forgotten - don't know if retina display has a slight ofsett between pixels (a little bit more of a honeycomb than a grid) because even when you look for the lines, they're slightly broken. Taking photos of it with a DSLR is another matter though.

ImageImageImage

Sorry, there's a bit of ghosting, but that's the photo, not the screen. I'll try and upload some video (much as it pains me to be anywhere near a camera!), but as my iphone's in the device, I'll have to borrow my wife's photo to shoot the video :D

I have considered just blocking in the inner sections to save cost. I've also considered putting a blade between the eyes to cut it out with minimum plastic (the prototype currently has foam between the eyes, added after I took the pics). However, there's still a little rim of unmagnified image your eyes can pick up from the same side - not a problem and doesn't seem to detract from the experience, but for a few more $ I'd rather cut everything clean - it's the front faceplate that burns the money! :shock:

Field of view is smaller than the rift, but not by much - just slightly thicker binoculars and the sense of 3D depth as good as the rift. I'm surprised with the iphone's grunt. I expected it to struggle with realtime lighting, multiple particle emitters, double rendering and distortion, but it's doing just fine right now. Need to put together a proper demo though - this one's a quick mock up of Bioshock's intro scene with the lighthouse (a whopping 1hr's worth of work, so nothing special).

..and actually a typo - lenses are 30x and work well - they're short focal distance, so have a sweet spot just 3cm from the screen, which makes the device nice and short. They're quite chunky, but once in their sockets, that doesn't matter
soderstrom
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by soderstrom »

I can't wait to check out your OpenLoop project! What kind of software do you use to design the HMD?
BustaWrench
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BustaWrench »

This is looking really cool and the just for laughs price is compelling too.
Peva3
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Peva3 »

I would love to get the files for this. Anyway you could post some from the v2/v3?
Apropos
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Apropos »

Just to be clear you mean this kind of lenses right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-30X21 ... 3a83cf1170

When are you going to publish the files so we can print?
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

I do mean those sort of lenses, yes.

Just to update - I've been around a few possible version 2 prototypes, each one getting more expensive before realising my original goal was simple, functional and cheap.....and have just about finished what is essentially the same as v1, but with the issues fixed, nothing fancy, nothing over-ambitious.

So the plan is to get a test print of that to check everything works and then put it online - so that's going to be a couple of weeks, by the time the test print arrives. As soon as I can validate everything, I can make the file public on shapeways.

In the mean time, I'm working on a (hopefully) slightly more interesting demo and tidying up the unity prefabs for release alongside.
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Ok, V2 model is done. Changed the way the phone clips into the cradle, by making the top arm a slide on - should make life a little easier. Looks like that $60-$70 window is still looking ok with this version, though obviously that'll depend upon the printing material etc.

Have kept it to 2 pieces - so the back piece (black on the shot) is all you actually need, but you can add faceplates to it should you wish to and then there's an option for different faceplates.

I'll be getting this ordered and tested and working on unity bits and pieces and some kind of decent demo in the mean time.

Will keep updating this thread when there's anything to show or add.
Apropos
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Apropos »

Will you also be sharing the files?
Peva3
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Peva3 »

Apropos wrote:Will you also be sharing the files?
+1 Really looking forward to making one of these :)
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Ok, V2 (well, technically 4 now!) is ordered and once I've validated that the changes all make things better and not worse, I'll put them on shapeways for anyone who wishes to order one and give it a go. I'll also put a build guide on here, the unity bits and pieces and a unity demo project of some kind (if I get a decent demo done, it'll be that, if not, I'll do something basic and quick for people to play with).

In the mean time, I'm getting DMs for info and as I'm away from the net for the next week or so, here's some starters:

1) The lenses - already covered, ebay search 30x 21mm loupes - they're all over the place and cheap.

2) The foam - I bought this and it fits perfectly, though there's enough here to make half a dozen of these things:

http://goo.gl/G8CPga

3) The headstrap, again comes with a surplus as it's a 2-pack deal, but I bought this one and it fits perfectly (plenty of spare for the larger cranium!):

As I say, once V2 arrives and is validated, I'll put a step by step guide in this thread.
Peva3
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Peva3 »

thirty3baboons wrote:Ok, V2 (well, technically 4 now!) is ordered and once I've validated that the changes all make things better and not worse, I'll put them on shapeways for anyone who wishes to order one and give it a go. I'll also put a build guide on here, the unity bits and pieces and a unity demo project of some kind (if I get a decent demo done, it'll be that, if not, I'll do something basic and quick for people to play with).

In the mean time, I'm getting DMs for info and as I'm away from the net for the next week or so, here's some starters:

1) The lenses - already covered, ebay search 30x 21mm loupes - they're all over the place and cheap.

2) The foam - I bought this and it fits perfectly, though there's enough here to make half a dozen of these things:

3) The headstrap, again comes with a surplus as it's a 2-pack deal, but I bought this one and it fits perfectly (plenty of spare for the larger cranium!):

As I say, once V2 arrives and is validated, I'll put a step by step guide in this thread.

Awesome! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Cool!

Have you looked at protomold? Who do you use as your 3d printer?
What are you using to create the 3d models? I usually use sketchup, but I've been thinking of shelling out a $100 or so for something paid.

It'd be great if we could all contribute to the design.

I am trying to figure out a way to easily adjust for different phone/tablet sizes without having to have interchangeable parts.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
chrisjarram
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by chrisjarram »

Hmm - of course the vArse, sorry VrAse, which cropped up on KickStarter within a couple of weeks of this thread, has not ripped off your design in the slightest... :roll:
XFX GTX 280 XXX,BFG 7900GTX,Q6600,4gbXMS2,3TB RAID,2xWD Raptors,MountainMods U2-UFO Case,1KW Thermaltake PSU, 3x BenQ MP720p,Full active sim setup inc actuators,shakers,wind,THX sound.CrystalEyes 3,6 wireless ED w/ hipower emitter.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

chrisjarram wrote:Hmm - of course the vArse, sorry VrAse, which cropped up on KickStarter within a couple of weeks of this thread, has not ripped off your design in the slightest... :roll:
I doubt they did, VrAse as a company has been around for longer than this thread. :P
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

I'm with Palmer - I'm not the first to do this and certainly won't be the last. I've got a cardboard prototype of this from about 2 years ago and Im sure everyone else has similar things.

Bottom line is if you're going to stick a smartphone on your face without destroying the phone, the solution's going to be fairly uniform across all projects.

I personally wouldn't kickstart something like this as it simply wasn't my idea and is something I'm just having a bit of fun with. I'd like to make it open enough for anybody else who fancies a play the opportunity without ploughing lots of cash into it and waiting months - this is a bit of a maker project for hobbyists.

But hey, good luck to anyone giving it a go.
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Well, it's been a while - how's everyone doing?

I have to admit, I've not had a lot of time to look at the project, so nowhere near as much progress as there should be, that being said.......V2

ImageImageImage

I eventually decided to go for a snap-on faceplate/strap and to open up the top, allowing the phone to be dropped in. This means that the faceplate is now a requirement rather than an option, but also allows me to make multiple faceplates to vary style or more importantly accommodate other handsets - so, you want it to fit an S4, buy an S4 faceplate. Slightly over-compensated on the lens mounts, now they're fractionally too big, before they were fractionally too small - so I'll tweak the model to middle ground and resolve that headache. This one was $56 for the print in white.

and for fun, a little family portrait - V0, V1 and V2

There's something charming about the mounting board/duck tape combo V0 that I feel the others have lost, oh well. :P

I have, in the past week, been regressing a little bit and have been looking at a basic foam-board version that I believe could be cut and assembled at home for around $15-20 with lenses etc and as the name of the game is "fun" not "product" or "business plan", that has the advantage of being "well h3ll, why not?" cheap and easy and durable enough to mess around with.

Haven't worked on software at all, if I'm honest. After focus testing a demo idea with some friends it seems like my "buried alive" concept has a fairly universal refusal to try! - "Great idea, you're not getting me in it!" etc. To be fair, the reactions to a rapid prototype demo which placed you as the magician's assistant in a box for a sword trick (which inspired "buried alive") were stronger than I expected.

............................Fun though :)

I think that's what I'm enjoying about all this VR the most - the emotional response from people trying the simplest, even crudely realised, demos - even from hardened gamers who typically don't flinch.

Might still give buried alive a go anyway as I can release that for rift as well - see if the rest of the community is less squeamish than my friends.

anyway - opinions on dropping to a build-at home, downloadable foam-core template to fit these lenses, foam etc, gratefully received and I'll work on getting everything ready to push out into the world.

and for anyone not aware of the kickstarters, there's :

vrAse: http://goo.gl/0ZhaXd
and 360specs: http://goo.gl/hVZMUB

though it looks like 360specs is the underdog there.
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

chrisjarram wrote:Hmm - of course the vArse, sorry VrAse, which cropped up on KickStarter within a couple of weeks of this thread, has not ripped off your design in the slightest... :roll:
and yes, unfortunately that's how my mind reads the name first time, every time - so if I type it here, apologies in advance.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

I think a 3d printed version is much more interesting.

Open source it, we can all contribute, and once we're happy with something we can contact something like protomold and print out a bunch near cost for everyone.

Also, don't forget about Durovis

http://www.durovis.com/index.html
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

I think Stefan of Durovis should really push out some updates soon if he wants to make some money out of his design which still looks rather rattly if you ask me.
In the meantime vRase just hit their funding goal of 55.000$ and are starting production soon...
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

I'd love to see a downloadable version for the HTC One as well btw! :)
Foam Core would do the job I guess...
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Well, the world is a busy place - a bit too busy for me at the moment. I've not had a lot of time to progress openloop and as I'll be attempting NaNoWriMo this year, that's not likely to change before the end of November.

That means a lot of dead time for this project, so with that in mind......here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7bmdk0jx6gn9w9p/ddzy_bQNzE

If I can't work on it, maybe you guys can do something good?

On the dropbox share you'll find a zip file containing:

1) Models for the iphone 5 spec version shown in this thread, that's the base and the faceplate - I've included both obj and blender format. The blender file has a dummy for the iphone in there which I used to build the openloop around. Set blender's co-ordinate space to metric and life will be dandy.
2) A unity package that has:

openloop Prefabs
Pro and Basic build versions (basic build doesn't have any image distortion correction, but works on the free version of unity3D which now allows you to deploy to ios for nothing).

basic demo scene
The same demo mentioned earlier in the thread - I've tweaked it a little, just to tighten things up, but it's only about an hour's worth of work to demo a principal, so please...don't be too harsh ;)

I haven't even had time to test this new build on the phone, so let's hope I didn't break anything.

What's not here:

1) Movement - I didn't bother building controller support in because ios7 didn't have it when I started and now, even though it technically does, I'll be d4mned if I can find a controller on the market yet. Plan is to modify unitys existing FirstPersonController prefab to accept openloop cameras.
2) Android support - I don't have an android handset (come on google, release the nexus 5 already and have enough stock to make it possible to actually buy one!). However, this *should* work on an android device. it'll just need the output camera settings to be tweaked as the screen is physically bigger on most devices that will work.
3) Settings function - touch button that lets you pinch zoom and drag pan the screen to make it work with most devices without needing to be the developer! and of course, a save function so you only have to set it up once.
4) A decent demo - if time was infinite, I'd have glorious sunshine and rolling vistas to let you feel the 3D, but if I had, this would be finished by now :) and it's not, so sorry, you're stuck with a claustrophobic hack-job of a demo.

All of this is in a readme in the package - I am going to keep going with this, but I suspect you guys will be able to help me make this more than I can on my own at the minute.

obviously, you need to be a dev to test it, familiarity with unity is naturally helpful.

i'd love to see this fitting and running on an android handset..hint, hint

(hint)

thirty3baboons

edited because I can't type :)
Last edited by thirty3baboons on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

oh go on then, maybe I have time to do one thing.......the dropbox share now has a faceplate that should fit both the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One M7 as they're similar enough to each other.

which goes to prove a point - adapting it for new handsets doesn't take long.

.....assuming this works (ahem :P )
siniux
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by siniux »

Hi there mate,
First of all, many, many thanks for releasing your work. I really mean it.

I've been looking at your model, trying to adapt it to my Nexus 4. I also uploaded it to shapeways to figure out how much it would cost and with the "Strong & Flexible Plastic" it should be about €30. You mentioned in a previous post that it cost you about €60. I'm guessing that you printed it on the "Black Detail" material but can't quite figure out why, as I don't see anything in the model that should require the additional material "resolution". Am I missing something here or were you just trying to have the best possible surface?

Eitherway, thanks, once again. Great work here.
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Hi siniux,

It's black strong flexible.$60 not €, that's the difference.
sak3r
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sak3r »

:woot
impressive I've been following all smartphone hmd projects I can find, and this one is clearly a winner.

one thing im struggling with my attempts is the lenses, all these projects use different lenses, and yet it seems the hardest part of it would be to figure out the spacing and distance from the screen and that would be different for diferent lenses, how did you solve that?
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Little bit of maths, little bit of guesswork on the lenses - the cheap ebay loupes have a focal length of around 3cm, which makes the whole device nice and compact. i'd have liked them to be full diameter, rather than cut off, but if they'd been any larger, then it wouldn't have worked on my iphone screen size and I would probably have given up, as I did ages ago with the iphone4 as I found it hurt your eyes after a while because the lenses were too close to each other, even at the end of the screen.

You could go slightly bigger with a 5 inch android screen though, I suppose.

Added another plate to the dropbox - *should* fit a nexus 4, but I don't have one so can't tell if the cut in on the back is tight enough to fit with the openloop base - you might have to shave a bit of plastic off the base to make it fit, you might not.
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

Great work and thanks for sharing!

I'll try and get the HTC One Version printed on shapeways but am still a little confused as to what parts i need to seperate since i'm completely new to 3D printing.
As far as i understood, i have to print the OpenLoop Body as well as the Faceplate seperately right?
What about the "StrapTidy" Object in the Blender File, what is that for? Is that one needed at all? If yes, do i have to get that printed seperately as well due to it not being directly attached to the OpenLoop body?

One last question, you didn't seem to have taken the decentered position of the HTC One's Screen into account didn't you?

Edit:

Nevermind, i added a HTC One Mockup and there are indeed some problems to be solved, so it's not quite ready for printing.

As you can see the HTC One is too wide/high for your current design and the display is not centered. I'll try to fix these problems when i find the time for that.

Edit2:
It seems as if it is too thick as well for the faceplate to still snap on.

thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Yes, looks like the sides need a minor tweak. Drag the offending vertices back a bit. Odd that I didn't notice that.

The intention was that the screen offset is corrected in software, rather than making a lopsided headset. The 5 inch android screen should cope fine with offset, the htc is 4.7, so I don't know if that's enough.

The strap tidies keep the strap tight to the base, you don't *need* them but they help.

When printing, look at the obj files. You could separate the plate and base in a single file and print together. They're printed separately to allow for colour customisation.

I could go back to the V1 design for attaching, lose the faceplate altogether (well, still have a cosmetic one for those who'd like one) and simply produce a different base for each phone, that deals with horizontal and vertical offsets - I was hoping not to do that though, then if you had an armfull of smartphones the same base could be used with different, cheap, plates.
Last edited by thirty3baboons on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

Clearly wasn't having a good day with the HTC One plate, but there's a version that *should* be fixed in obj and blend file format on the dropbox

the bottom lip on the base shouldn't be an issue as the dimensions are for the widest point (ie the middle of the back) and it's narrower at the edges.

To deal with the screen offset, just change the output camera offset (and distance) in the unity prefab to adjust - otherwise there'll be a bespoke base for every single phone.

To be clearer on the printing:

Shapeways will print all of the objects in a file and send them back to you in a bag. If the objects intersect, they'll be joined on the print, if not they'll be separate. You could quite easily move the faceplate away from the base to leave a gap and print it all in one go, but it would all be one colour - I wanted to allow:

1) The flexibility to keep the same base and just print different faceplates
2) The option of printing the base and plate in different colours or materials - h3ll, go for a hot pink base with gold plate if it's your thing!.

Just for fun, here's what I wanted it to look like (pre-v1), but it turned out to be silly expensive to 3d print - though a large run injection mould would doubtless be pennies - annoying that.

glossy top, matte base, phone entirely concealed within the device - glossy bit slides upwards and off to allow access.

Now that there's a 'reasonably priced' version out in the wild, I might just go wild and ignore price.

hmmm....
Last edited by thirty3baboons on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Am0k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Am0k »

Well i have ordered my V2 openloop Looks verry Good i like it. Which lens do you prefere?
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

I'm spending more time on this than I was before I accepted I didn't have time (typically)

Ok, just for laughs, here's a version that DOES NOT REQUIRE A FACEPLATE, but means a different base for every phone. It's less colourful, not sure if it's good looking in its minimalism or plain, but it's easier to adapt for other handsets this way.

iphone 5:

and HTCOne M7 - with the phone centred in the unit.

both on the share, labelled as NOFACEPLATEREQD. Obviously I haven't printed all of these due to the speed of change (and the fact I'm not made of money and don't own my own 3D printer), so usual health warnings.

that's it, I'm modelling no more today :)
Last edited by thirty3baboons on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

Thanks for the update mate, the faceplate does fit now!

Oh well, just now i've seen you did yet another version...your awesome! Just saved me a lot of time! And i thought you were more or less gone/done for the next weeks! ;)

Due to the very very limited amount of proper mobile vr applications my main intention for getting a smartphone hmd is watching movies. So i would have needed to center the screen anyway, but you just got me that much closer. I still have to do some modifications to use the OpenLoop with Movies though, i see what i can do. Thanks anyway, appreciate your work!
thirty3baboons
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thirty3baboons »

SinSilla wrote:Thanks for the update mate, the faceplate does fit now!

Oh well, just now i've seen you did yet another version...your awesome! Just saved me a lot of time! And i thought you were more or less gone/done for the next weeks! ;)

Due to the very very limited amount of proper mobile vr applications my main intention for getting a smartphone hmd is watching movies. So i would have needed to center the screen anyway, but you just got me that much closer. I still have to do some modifications to use the OpenLoop with Movies though, i see what i can do. Thanks anyway, appreciate your work!
Hey SinSilla,

I've reorganised the dropbox folder, there's a version on there, HTCOne, the version that uses faceplate but centres the phone vertically.

and no, this doesn't count as more modelling, I did this before I went off and created the nofaceplate versions :lol:

I quite like the no faceplate versions - remind me of V1 without the cosmetic plate on. Might get one printed.

The unity prefabs are on there so that you can build your own VR experiences for the openloop - there's also a (bad) demo in the package to start things.
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

I think i'll stick with the non-faceplate version though, it's neat!

I just recently started doing some work in Unity, but ain't got enough time for that at the moment. So i'll have to stick with what's available.

I'm going to use bigger (38mm, 36mm focal distance, 28 dioptrin/8x) lenses, so i'll need to extend the base somewhat to accomodate for the longer focal length and open up/rectangularize your round cut outs on the display side to at least theoretical get the rest of the display into view.

I'll let you guys know when im making process and have tested my ideas.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”