Is unintuitive controls the cause of VR Nausea?

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
JDuncan
Cross Eyed!

Is unintuitive controls the cause of VR Nausea?

Post by JDuncan »

Playing the unity free game Angry bots.

I make the character fire his weapon when I press the left mouse button
and by moving the mouse pointer I can rotate him to fire in a circle.
I press the up, arrow to move him up, down arrow to move him down, right arrow to move him right, left arrow to move him left.

What happens when I point the character to look in the east direction, and then press the up arrow to move him forward?
The character goes to their left, not forward to where the character is pointing his face.

I think in the nausea problem in the Oculus VR is,
in the game when the player moves the character in one direction, say east, so their players eyes see east in the VR headset.
Then the player presses the up arrow on the keyboard to move him forward,
They move forward unintuitive, they move to their left, not forward to where they are looking.

As I wander around in Angry bots the forward the controls refer to are not the forward the character is facing,
which makes navigating the character wobbly when trying to fire.
It's ridiculous how disoriented I am in that game as I press the arrow keys to get around.

So if the oculus vr fixes the arrows to move where the person is looking then maybe the nausea will stop.
Maybe the headset is the parent and the arrow keys are the child.
So where the parent faces; north, south, east, west, and all points inbetween,
then when the child presses up it means up is where the parent is facing, and back is opposite of where the parent is facing.
JDuncan
Cross Eyed!

Re: Is unintuitive controls the cause of VR Nausea?

Post by JDuncan »

If the arrow keys are the child and the head position the parent, so the up arrow is going to move you to where your facing.

Then head tracking is needed, or the fabled positional tracking. Which is not yet been fixed AFAIK.

I made a solution to this tracking in my other thread in this sub forum though.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

The mismatch between where the user expects their character to be facing/move towards, and the actual direction it moves in, is IMHO a key contributor to nausea. I've noticed in games with visible virtual bodies (Zombies on the Holodeck for example), that I can greatly reduce the nausea by looking down at my feet regularly, to ensure the virtual body is pointing the the same direction as I expect it to be.

Its very noticeable when you put on Sixense Tuscany - this app causes nausea for virtually everyone I've tested it on.
JDuncan
Cross Eyed!

Post by JDuncan »

In playstation 3 the game Socom confrontation, the right stick controls where you look, and the left stick controls movement forward backwards side to side.

If you point the soldier to look somewhere then the left stick presses up meaning forward, the soldier moves forward to where he is facing which is where the right stick is pointing or has just pointed to.
The left stick is the child and the right stick is the parent.
DannyVR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DannyVR »

I think the cause of nausea is due to our brain is forced to trick the eyes that they are seeing
a single object at a time where in fact the eyes are looking at two different object (or images)
at a time....
JDuncan
Cross Eyed!

Post by JDuncan »

Are you saying the object being shown to the two eyes is really two different images that just look like they are the same image but because they aren't the same image you get nausea?

Why isn't it the same image though? Because when you see any image in real life you factor in occlusion. So if the left and right eye aren't seeing occlusion properly then when occlusion is factored into seeing a image the image isn't in 3D naturally because the 3D isn't including occlusion so your not seeing the same image but two different images like you said.

Now when you are in this VR the thing you see doesn't have 3D because there is not occlusion how does this work when you move your head around to see the VR world? You see what doesn't work as you look in 3D, that's what happens.

Now because oculusvr works by the pixel being shone into the eye and this producing a image that looks real the brain thinks it's in 3D so VR world, but with no occlusion factored into 3D the VR when moving is unnatural 3D, and so the nausea.

To get the occlusion you need
- two screens in the oculus, one for each eye, to show a different image needed to reproduce natural real world occlusion.
- Then you need eye tracking which looks at contact lenses in the eyes and positions it against a imaginary face to show a picture so the imaginary face is working with the eyes that have contacts so the image seen by the two eyes sees the occlusion the imaginary face is seeing.
- So the occlusion works by reproducing the real persons eyes in a imaginary vr persons head, then the occlusion the imaginary head sees is what the real world person sees.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”