InfinitEye V2, a 210° HFOV HMD to become a real product

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
malphodo
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: InfinitEye V2, a 210° HFOV HMD to become a real product

Post by malphodo »

mr.uu wrote:Hi foisi,

See attached my little project so far.
I took two retina iPad screens with rozyno's board, hooked up via displayport and arranged as one eyefinity screen (4096x1536).
Also bought the same fresnels as you are using (focus 120mm, also bought the ones with 160mm focus for testing).
Now i would need your and the boards knowledge about how to arrange the fresnels. Should i align the fresnels center with my eyeballs? Should i stack two fresnels with the ripples together? What kind of screen angle do you suggest? Any thing you corrected via bezel correction in the display options, to shift the image in whatever direction? Etc.

Any Input is highly appreciated. I do not want to spend hours on making the same errors as you all already did ;). I will try to use cardboard to arrange the screens/fresnels first.

Thank you all!
Interesting !
What is "Rozyno's board" can you explain how you connect your screens ?
mr.uu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mr.uu »

ammonthenephite
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ammonthenephite »

Any new news on the InfinieEye V2? Been a long time since I've heard anything. I have high hopes for this:)
blindboxes
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by blindboxes »

Relax, the project is not dead yet.

Here's a new video foisi posted (I subscribed to his channel).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7gjCUWfoTk
ammonthenephite
One Eyed Hopeful

Its a new video, but no new news. Would love for palmer to try it out. If Fosi has found away around the limitations that limited Palmers attempts, that would be awesome. I really think multi screen is the way to go, or given some time, one big curved screen as they become available.

I do like the rift, but i'm still looking at the vr world through something. I want to be IN the vr world completely, and so far infiniEye seems to have the best potential for that!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

foisi wrote:Actually it was not 121° per eye, I used a wrong way to compute the FOV explained in the other thread (using the center of the eyeball instead of the center of pupil). So you can compute that easily : total FoV / 2 + (3D overlap / 2) = 150° per eye
Forgot about this, but after months of searching about this subject I discovered recently that the nodal point of the eye (the point at which a ray entering the eye is not deviated before reaching the retina, ie. giving the real FOV) is actually not at the center of the pupil but just behind the crystalline lens.

See here in your other thread for more info : http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 33#p144133
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

Congrats Lionel and Co for getting some great coverage!

http://www.roadtovr.com/infiniteeye-wor ... hmd-video/
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

PatimPatam wrote:Congrats Lionel and Co for getting some great coverage!

I concur!! Nice Bro!
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
Frankysco
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Frankysco »

Next you Hannibal!
mintlin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mintlin »

Joined the forums just for this :)
Can't wait to see the final product and hopefully be affordable for us mortals.

Please keep up updated!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

http://www.roadtovr.com/infiniteeye-worlds-first-ever-hands-210-fov-hmd-video/#comment-2695 wrote:Paulo Cunha says
October 30, 2013 at 4:11 am

Hi There Okin!

You were talking about the price. But keep in mind that you don’t necessarily need dual screens to have a + 180º FoV. FatherGeek in the MTBS3D forum demonstrated that with stacked lenses you could have almost the exact configuration of the Oculus (with perhaps a little wider screen) but due to the fact that the Fresnel is wrapped around you face, it gives you this incredible 180 plus experience.
Who is this "FatherGeek" mentioned in the quoted comment at that page? And where is a link to his "stacked fresnel lenses" thread? I am curious if perhaps this is the thread in question:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=16373

:o
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

"FatherGeek" LOL!!!!!!!!
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Welp, no use trying to change public opinion now. Might as well embrace it with a new avatar:
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

@zalo: It seems more than a coincidence that your recommended avatar image is also the logo for this website:
http://fathergeek.com/

;)
Allibow
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Allibow »

foisi wrote: Actually the dual cable setup doesn't have sync issues with my GTX 660, I don't use the Zotac adapter anymore and I just have to plug the cables into the 2 DVI outputs of it (no need of special software). However if this goes beyond the contest it would be great to design a special controller board that takes DP and 2xHDMI to drive both screens simultaneously :)
Is this DVI to HDMI cabels or is it DVI to VGA ?

do you use one DVI I and one DVI D ?

what are the screens recognized as ?

Thanks!
Allibow
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Allibow »

magixx wrote: Have you considered using 5.5" 1080P screens or similar sized FHD screens?
Yes, two 7" 1920x1200 (better than FHD) would be awesome ! I'm looking forward to seeing if the new Nexus 7 panel could be usable.

i wonder if u have laid eyes on these little bastards !

http://www.panelook.com/TX18D200VM0EAA_ ... 19990.html

i tryed to order 2 pcs but you have to have a registred company to do that :)

7" 1080p LVDS 1ch 8 bit!! so this would be a drop in if it has same connector on the panel side if not you can still use same controllerboards
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Father Geek... hahah, I don't think we'll be able to refer to you as geekmaster ever again.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Hey InfinitEye guys... Have you thought about trying AngelList? A lot of those people follow a16z.com and their 75M investment might get them pretty excited about tracking you.

You should also get together with FatherGeek and write up some IP patents. Why not? If OVR has a 500M+ valuation,the IP on these lenses must be worth something.

Don't kid yourselves folks, this is now officially big business.. If you guys don't do it, someone else is ..
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
Allibow
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Allibow »

these guys have been deported by aliens by now i knew it
ammonthenephite
One Eyed Hopeful

Anything new from these guys? I still have high hopes for them. A high fov hmd is still my dream...
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

I too am waiting for some ...bip....bip.....bip.

Like that distant radio signal of Geo-location transmitter from some sight far far away.

They had super cool project and why they disappeared?
Last edited by Dilip on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
NopeU
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NopeU »

where can i buy this today ?
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Why you want to buy it now? it never went on sale, you can DIY yours by some surfing here at MTBS.
Here is nice links give you idea on what it was...

http://www.roadtovr.com/infiniteye-210- ... test-vote/

and hands on with rare image of "THE MAKERS".

I too believe project had potential, its just that pals went missing, or abducted by aliens. :x

You can just wait till Claire 22M page updates with ADD TO CART button ;)

For Claire 12M is straightway outrageous. From specs i can assure you will need another 2000 dollar PC to drive it, then where is content?
$4500 without any assurance of what you will end up with is most crazy investment any one would like to indulge into.
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

So what is going to be the difference between Crescent Bay and Claire - apart from the price.

This could be a case of VR hijacking.

:?
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Do any one care? Let the best trumph. :)
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

If Oculus move from a single screen to a dual screen design, then it seems to indicate the original single screen design approach with DK1 and DK2 was limiting and basically doomed from the beginning.

But what are the advantages of two screens over one screen that potentially makes Oculus abandon the single screen approach.

Quite possibly to get a better field of view, better inter-eye adjustment and better resolution out of the box.

But this can also introduce more complications with the lens optics especially if the screens are canted too.

If the screens are not canted then it seems there is not much advantage to having two screens in the first place.

We will see.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Wasn't it Palmer quoting, single screen is ideal as dual screens tend to have sync issues? You can search them here only on MTBS.Then why this switch?

Biggest advantage of dual screen is you can use more smaller screen at same resolution think of 3.5/4 inch 1920X1080 screen just imagine PPI, besides having
dual screen at lower resolution also allows Hmd all over more economical pc friendly. Not to mention more horizontal FoV which was not possible with single screen.

From shape of 'Crescent Bay' i can safely assume its not vertical placement of displays like HTC VIVE,
but its horizontal one like Infinite Eye. More over it can be custom screens, made on order by Samsung not the re-purposed mobile ones as if they were mobile screens
either hmd look odd shaped like Infinite Eye or HTC VIVE but it looks sleek and small industrial design so that's possibility :idea:
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Dilip wrote:Wasn't it Palmer quoting, single screen is ideal as dual screens tend to have sync issues? You can search them here only on MTBS.Then why this switch?

:idea:

Wow! Palmer said so many things, for so long, that now he contradict himself it seems all the time. Horribly wrong, horribly right, on balance, off balance, forgotten balance You know what I do:

PL;DR Palmer Luckey Didn't Read (got no time for hypemasters that can't even keep thier story straight) Next....
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NopeU
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NopeU »

Dilip wrote:Why you want to buy it now? (...)
look at the thread title = "a 210° HFOV HMD to become a real product"

Thread was opened in 2013. i saw this in 2015, i like it, i have money, i want to buy :D
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

martinlandau wrote:
Dilip wrote:Wasn't it Palmer quoting, single screen is ideal as dual screens tend to have sync issues? You can search them here only on MTBS.Then why this switch?

:idea:

Wow! Palmer said so many things, for so long, that now he contradict himself it seems all the time. Horribly wrong, horribly right, on balance, off balance, forgotten balance You know what I do:

PL;DR Palmer Luckey Didn't Read (got no time for hypemasters that can't even keep thier story straight) Next....
Same thing happened with fresnel lenses.

It's not necessarily deceit, smart people can learn new things about old topics.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

zalo wrote:It's not necessarily deceit, smart people can learn new things about old topics.
You mean when some one discard a thought straightway, in future he can stealthily come up with that same thoughts implementation. Thus he is 'smart' cause
he is living his own contradictions? How and What exactly smart in this?

I would say this is 'ERROR CORRECTION' or rather patching up for less valuation of already discarded idea and it has no smartness involved. ;)

But Error Correction is also good, its 'Better late than Never' :)
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

InfinitEye 210 Degree VR Headset Reborn as ‘StarVR’ with 5K

Post by Silversurfer »

Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

The uploadVR site has a good take on the StarVR as its now known -

http://uploadvr.com/hands-on-with-starv ... -power-it/
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Crazy Reincarnation.

Love to see these guyz back...Twin WQHD is little above processing power of current gen Moderate PCs i feel... Cant even think on those with on board/on processor gpu.

http://uploadvr.com/hands-on-with-starv ... -power-it/
Upload VR link wrote:Still, the team members kept insisting that this can run on most gaming devices right now.
What sort of voodoo this can be ? may be this displays are running from system at SBS 1920X1080 and up scaling it while on display to SBS 2560X1440..To eliminate screen door!
Upload VR link wrote:Emmanual Marquez told us that the optics was the hardest part to get perfect, and man, they seemed to have figured those lenses out. Marquez went on to called this a “benchmark” for VR. I have to agree. The StarVR is the most immersive wearable I’ve tried on yet in terms of how much of the screens I could see. There was absolutely no screen door effect.
Is it breaking point? Its been long since i was eager to read "absolutely no screen door effect"
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Dilip wrote:... What sort of voodoo this can be ? may be this displays are running from system at SBS 1920X1080 and up scaling it while on display to SBS 2560X1440..To eliminate screen door! ...
But is running expensive hi-res screens at a lower resolution really that much better than running lower-res screens with a cheap diffusion filter? It seems to be a waste of resources, though perhaps it is future-proofing for future hardware that can drive two 2K displays, even though wasteful at first glance. But then again, future proofing is rarely useful, due to product obsolescence in the face of fast-moving technology as we are seeing in the VR marketplace. I do look forward to trying this device though, as it sounds like an amazing experience to me!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The processing power is there, but only on very high-end PCs and probably not with new games on max.

For example, I have a 3D Vision Surround setup rendering at 7680x1440 in stereo. I'm able to play slightly older games like DiRT3 or Assassin's Creed 2 on high settings. Granted I do have Tri-SLI 980's and an 8-core Intel, but it's possible.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

May i know your system specs?

Mine is I5 2400 (2012), 8GB ram,Gigabyte GTX660 and weak link slower 1TB Segate HDD.
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

The winners of the VR spec wars will be the ones who can make convincing VR graphics work on 'average' computer systems.

Yes, this is a moving target.

It could be that VR companies that win the middle ground will eventually win the high ground.

Time to market is probably more important than getting it absolutely right initially.

The fact that 'dick-waggling' comparisons need to be made about entry level system specs is not a good sign.

Businesses cannot succeed based on fan-boyism and high-end consumers only - even the luxury brands know this.

I suspect the best systems are the ones with the high resolution and refresh rate capability, but to be popular they need to accept lower quality input in terms of resolution and refresh rates and do their best to bridge the visual gap in the meantime- until technological advances and customers wallets catch up within in the next five years.

We are already seeing tricks in this area to overcome screen-door effect, motion-lag and legacy resolution for large field of view displays.

Whoever can do this best to an acceptable level will win the market, even without the best gear.

StarVR has higher requirements to meet to get to this acceptable level, otherwise it will become a premium product only.

Perhaps this is what Oculus is doing in developing the CV1 - getting an acceptable baseline product out there whilst working on better things for the product line.

Erm .... palmer.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Dilip wrote:May i know your system specs?
Intel i7-5960X @ 3.0GHz | Asus X99-Deluxe | EVGA GTX 980 x 3 | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
WD Black 4TB x 2 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Corsair Hydro H55 | Corsair AX1500i | Asus Rog Swift PG278Q x 3 | Nvidia 3D Vision 2

Honestly, it's overkill but I just wanted to go all out with building the rig.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

cybereality wrote:Intel i7-5960X @ 3.0GHz | Asus X99-Deluxe | EVGA GTX 980 x 3 | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
WD Black 4TB x 2 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Corsair Hydro H55 | Corsair AX1500i | Asus Rog Swift PG278Q x 3 | Nvidia 3D Vis
Extreme <<n rich>> Gamer DNA confirmed :geek:

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”