Atlas's Kickstarter

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
Chriky
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Atlas's Kickstarter

Post by Chriky »

I just came across this - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/623 ... -made-real - and had mixed feelings.

It looks quite interesting but I honestly felt a bit bad for them because I think they launched too early, or haven't really thought this through. Obviously the basic idea is the same as we have been talking about for a long time, and the same as Valve have implemented in their VR lab.

The main problem I see is that I don't think it makes sense as a consumer product, and yet it is being targeted at a consumer price point. The largest area you can realistically expect a consumer to be able to provide as a space is 2m x 2m and even that is pushing it. That space just doesn't make "walking level" tracking all that useful. The mainstream VR experience needs tracking like a Hydra - small area but millimeter precise and low latency.

The second problem is that I am not sure they realise how difficult it is going to be to increase the FPS on an iPhone. The way I see it, they have one killer application and that is going with a group of friends to a park, or car park, or hockey astro, or basketball court or something, scattering out 500 sheets of paper you just printed off (and pegging them down somehow I guess?), and playing a wide-area VR game. That is what they need to launch with, and they need to show it working and explain exactly what kit you need and how much it will cost. If they can get their tracking working like that (outside, they can pair it with GPS Red Rovr style) then it has applications for gaming and virtual tours (like of building designs).

At the moment I feel like they aren't making any use of the unique feature of their solution (wide area), and instead are trying to cram it into the home gaming space where it frankly compares poorly to outside-in optical, magnetic field and RF solutions.
RoadKillGrill
Cross Eyed!

Re: Atlas's Kickstarter

Post by RoadKillGrill »

Already a topic here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=18301

I think limiting the tech to owners who have an iPhone (and likely a newer iPhone) really hurts this kickstarter. Dedicated hardware would substantially improve the results or a wider platform of supported handsets would also be interesting but may become difficult to support.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

@ Chriky: I agree... without having a big enough space to do redirected walking, this isn't really going to be that useful IMHO.

However, they might be able to spin it into a system that would be good for VR lasertag etc.
gray
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gray »

The Holy Grail here is to have the game world dynamically arrange itself around your real life surroundings, ala Rainbows End by Verner Vinge.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”