Galvanic Vestibular Stimulation prototype device

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
steeve
One Eyed Hopeful

Galvanic Vestibular Stimulation prototype device

Post by steeve »

Hi folks,

For the last few years I've been interested in GVS, and so lately I've decided to go serious about it, and build a computer controlled prototype.

It's based around an Arduino, a voltage to current source, and a step up DC-DC transformer.
Right now it's controlled by my iphone's accelerometer (like a game), and one way only (I'm still waiting to get some transistors to do a low voltage h-bridge).
But it's current regulated, and it works very well!

As for the electrodes, I've made custom sponge electrodes soaked with saline. The result is really good and you don't really feel the current! Very pleased.

Here's the setup, feedback welcome:
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Galvanic Vestibular Stimulation prototype device

Post by geekmaster »

I love it! It gives me inspiration to try that. I hope your power source is isolated from a wall power supply (battery operated only), and/or your control circuit is also isolated (optical or wireless).
steeve
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by steeve »

Hehe geekmaster, as said on the Oculus forum, it is battery operated from a unconnected Macbook's USB port.

But I have bluetooth coming :)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

steeve wrote:Hehe geekmaster, as said on the Oculus forum, it is battery operated from a unconnected Macbook's USB port.

But I have bluetooth coming :)
My post is more to raise personal awareness of potential safety issues for those reading this thread. ;)

But I encourage such experimentation by those who feel responsible enough to advance this field for the betterment of VR, in a safe and responsible manner.
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

Is this taking input similar to what a gamingchair takes?

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”