Open-Hardware Magnetic Tracker - Call to Arms

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Re: Open-Hardware Magnetic Tracker - Call to Arms

Post by TheLostBrain »

Krenzo wrote:
TheLostBrain wrote:I'd be more than happy to open 'er up and take some high res shots of the boards, etc.
Yes please!
Ok... ask and ye shall receive ;)

For anyone who may have missed the original post..this is essentially a tear-down of an Ascension Technology Flock of Birds 6DOF Magnetic Tracking System.
This system is configured with an ERC (Extended Range Controller) and ERT (Extended Range Transmitter) allowing for tracking over a 10ft x 10ft area.

Mind you this beast is old! Really didn't realize just how old it was until I opened it up and saw nothing but 'through-holes' in there - was kind of a weird actually.

If any of this actually turns out even remotely useful and you need a better shot of something just let me know.

Took a couple slightly different angles because of the damn flash so I'll split it up into 2-3 posts because of the 10 max file attachment limit.

Ascension Technology Flock of Birds Unit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TheLostBrain on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Current VR Setup
- N-Vision Datavisor 80 HMD (1280x1024, 80 FOV at 100% Overlap)
- Ascension Technology Flock of Birds 6DOF Magnetic Tracking + Extended Range Transmitter
- Prototype HMD (~100 FOV) - Specs and design to be shared after patent issued.
- IZ3D for non stereo-ready apps
- GlovePie for TrackIR emulation for apps without native Ascension Tech FOB Support
http://www.thelostbrain.com/?tag=/head+mounted+display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

Ascension Technology ERC (Extended Range Controller)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Current VR Setup
- Ascension Technology Flock of Birds 6DOF Magnetic Tracking + Extended Range Transmitter
- GlovePie for TrackIR emulation for apps without native Ascension Tech FOB Support
http://www.thelostbrain.com/?tag=/head+mounted+display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

Ascension Technology ERT (Extended Range Transmitter)
My Current VR Setup
nrp
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by nrp »

The differences between the Hydra and the Ascension stuff are rather fascinating, and go a long way towards showing what has changed in embedded systems design over the last 15 or so years. When you have embedded microcontrollers now as powerful as desktops were then, you can convert a lot of analog and digital circuitry work into software algorithms.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

That thing is a beast. The power supply in the transmitter and the coil is so massive, you would swear that it could cover an area of 10x10 miles, not 10x10 feet!

Are the controllers (or whatever it has) powered by inductance, or do they have batteries?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Kind of amazing what Razer have done with such a small package now.
knuf
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by knuf »

heh, was about to start similar thread two weeks ago :)

some interesting sources:

US patents: 4287809, 4346384

scientific papers:

PORTABLE ABSOLUTE POSITION TRACKING SYSTEM FOR
HUMAN HAND FINGERTIPS

AC magnetic field detection system applied to motion tracking

tracker.zip
MSat

Post by MSat »

I thought of a possible alternative to using 3 coils in a controller: 3D magnetic field sensor ICs

http://www.st.com/internet/analog/product/253884.jsp

The ST part is interesting for a few reasons. It's a digital device with I2C/SPI interface, and 16-bit ADCs for the internal analog stuff. It also has a built-in accelerometer. and costs under $2 in quantities of a thousand. Lastly, the datasheet lists gaming/VR as one of the applications :)

With the built in accelerometer, it might even be possible to use a single dipole electro magnet, instead of the "3D" magnet.
MSat

Post by MSat »

Having done a bit more research on the topic, I think using a 3D magnetometer may be better than using coils for a few different reasons. All of them leading to a package that's so compact, you could probably place on your knuckles! (Such sensors are typically 3x3x1mm!)

I found an even more interesting part than the one I mentioned in my earlier post. It has a 14-bit accelerometer, and a 16 bit magnetometer. Both have an update rate of 800hz on their own, or 400hz each when interlaced. If the magnetometer operates reliably at 800hz, and you need 4 samples (1 for each axis, and one for background noise) to determine position and orientation, that could mean an update rate of 200hz - Not bad! :)
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Does the size of the sensor affect the precision? I've got this intuition that bigger coils = higher precision and that going with smaller sensors would be a trade off.
MSat

Post by MSat »

I couldn't say for sure, but it sounds like you could do a lot with 16-bit magnitude values for each axis. I would actually imagine it to be more accurate than coils. For one, the placement of the sensing elements in the IC is orders of magnitude more precise than assembling 3 coils on a board.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I'm not so sure that a MEMS magnetometer will work. These are good for detecting static magnetic fields, or relative slowly changing fields, but I think they work on a different principle to coils. I would assume the coils will likely be tuned to the oscillation frequency of the base coils, which I don't believe can be done with a MEMS magnetometer since they work on the changing very high resonant frequency of the internal circuit:
http://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/9/9/6951/pdf
MSat

Post by MSat »

Lots of the newer trackers are based on detecting static magnetic fields (DC) instead of fluctuating (http://www.polhemus.com/polhemus_editor ... Paper1.pdf). I believe even the Hydra is using this method based on the O-scope images here: http://janoc.rd-h.com/archives/212 . In such a case,I think some of the types of mems magnetometers would be perfectly suited for the role.

I'm thinking of ordering this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10619 to see if the proof of concept passes muster. The major downside to is is that it's slow.. If it requires 4 samples for tracking, the update rate would be limited to around 20hz. Still, it should be good enough for testing purposes.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I think android78 is correct, magnetometers can't be used for tracking because they are too slow and can only detect the earth magnetic field. When coupled with gyroscopes they only help for drift correction.

What the Hydra and Polhemus trackers use are electromagnetic tracking system (ems) which can be quite fast (60Hz for the Hydra, 120Hz for the Polhemus Fastrak and 144Hz for the Flock of Birds). A 20Hz frequency sounds pretty unusable to me, the latency should be really bad too (around 30ms for the Hydra from what I've read, 4ms announced for the Fastrak (10ms measured by a scientific study)).
MSat

Post by MSat »

@Fredz

As I mentioned earlier, the Freescale magnetometer/accelerator combo chip can be sampled @ 800hz, assuming 4 samples for tracking, tracking can be updated at 200hz - a lot faster than the Hydra's 60hz.

Magnetometers cannon just detect the earth's magnetic field and be immune to all other magnets - that's not how they work. It's actually up to the software to separate the earth's magnetic field from all other magnetic fields. The raw magnetometer data is 3 scalar values proportional to the sum of magnetic forces in each axis. The chips are so sensitive to magnetic forces, that they can detect them in the components and pcb traces nearby, as well as major sources such as the speakers used in cellphones. Again, in the case where it's used as a compass, it's the software that filters out all the "noise" and gives you a reliable lock on the earth's magnetic field.

The sparkfun part I mentioned is not ideal - it's just the cheapest 3DOF magnetometer breakout board I could find. The breakout board that has the chip I want costs $75 (despite the fact that the actual chip in only around $2!). Again, I would only use the $14 board for proof of concept - for which it should suffice.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I think that you would actually need much faster then 4 samples per update. My understanding is that you would be tracking a sine wave magnetic field (like a radio wave) that is emitted from the base, the frequency of which would be much higher then the update rate. To accurately track the wave, you would need more like 100 samples per cycle, and you would want to have at least a few cycles per update.
If you're trying to get 60hz update rate, this works out to:
60*4 = 240 (assuming 4 cycles of the sine wave per update)
240*100 = 24k samples per sec (assuming 100 samples per cycle of the sine wave to accurately determine phase and amplitude)

So unless I'm totally missing how these things work, you need to have a pretty high sampling rate.

I am still not convinced that the MEMS type will work either, since they work with a very high frequency resonant circuit, the frequency of which changes based on the magnetic field. So you would have to be really careful about making sure the frequency of the base magnetic wave didn't conflict with the internal oscillation of the magnetometer.
MSat

Post by MSat »

android78 wrote:I think that you would actually need much faster then 4 samples per update. My understanding is that you would be tracking a sine wave magnetic field (like a radio wave) that is emitted from the base, the frequency of which would be much higher then the update rate. To accurately track the wave, you would need more like 100 samples per cycle, and you would want to have at least a few cycles per update.
If you're trying to get 60hz update rate, this works out to:
60*4 = 240 (assuming 4 cycles of the sine wave per update)
240*100 = 24k samples per sec (assuming 100 samples per cycle of the sine wave to accurately determine phase and amplitude)

So unless I'm totally missing how these things work, you need to have a pretty high sampling rate.

I am still not convinced that the MEMS type will work either, since they work with a very high frequency resonant circuit, the frequency of which changes based on the magnetic field. So you would have to be really careful about making sure the frequency of the base magnetic wave didn't conflict with the internal oscillation of the magnetometer.
The base electromagnets are not modulated with a sine wave - sure, if you're using pulsed DC, there is some dynamic components, but you wait until that settles to take a reading. What you're essentially doing is measuring the field strength and dipole orientation for each of coils assembled in a tri-axis configuration. In this case, you only need to sample once during each stable state, and 4th with all magnets off to measure background noise.
MSat

Post by MSat »

I found out my phone has a 3D magnetometer, so I looked to see if there was an app on google play that uses it for something other than compass heading, and I came across an app called "3D compass an magnetometer", which according to the description lets you "Visualize the hidden world of magnetism around you in 3 dimensions! It can be perfectly used to explore and measure the direction and strength of the magnetic field of random objects around you.". I was able to verify the functionality to a certain extent, but I don't have any large-ish magnets, or electro-magnets. What I was able to do is move my phone above an earbud, and watch the arrow point towards it while indicating field strength. I'm wondering if it might actually be a good idea to place 3 parallel electromagnets as points of a triangle, and triangulate the position.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

What do you mean by triangulating against three magnets? Wouldn't you triangulate three sensors against a single magnet?
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I'm not sure that pulsed DC would be ideal for measuring distance since you have to wait for the field to be 'up' and stable before getting the field strength and then wait for it to collapse before you do the same. If you are to use a sine wave, then you can just average the amplitude of the signal of that frequency over time, which should cancel out background noise so long as you choose a reasonable quiet frequency.
MSat

Post by MSat »

brantlew wrote:What do you mean by triangulating against three magnets? Wouldn't you triangulate three sensors against a single magnet?
Lets say you sequentially drive 3 electromagnets arranged as a triangle with their poles aligned along the vertical axis. Each time a magnet pulses, a reading is taken by the magnetometer (when the field is stable) which will generate a 3D vector value pointing towards the source of the field (if I'm not mistaking). With vector values for each of the magnets, you can determine all 6DOF. You can also do as you said, and use 3 stationary sensors, and a magnet on the point you want to track - if you do that, you only need 2 samples per sensor (1 for noise), so you would have an even faster update rate, the only issue with this is that the more tracking points you want, the slower the update rate will be. Whereas using three magnets and multiple sensors keeps the update rate steady regardless of the amount of sensors.

android78 wrote:I'm not sure that pulsed DC would be ideal for measuring distance since you have to wait for the field to be 'up' and stable before getting the field strength and then wait for it to collapse before you do the same. If you are to use a sine wave, then you can just average the amplitude of the signal of that frequency over time, which should cancel out background noise so long as you choose a reasonable quiet frequency.

As I've stated earlier, pulsed DC (ok, there is a rise and fall time, but the field is still predominantly " DC") seems to be the current trend in magnetic tracking, and it's for a few good reasons. I recommend you check out some of the links I posted. The biggest is that unlike AC systems, any eddy currents induced in conductive materials by the rising magnetic field eventually dies as the field becomes stable, so you eliminate a lot of the "soft iron" distortion. Unlike coils, the mems sensors are actually well suited for reading a static, in-axis fields directly. Also, It shouldn't be hard to generate a stable field in a fraction of the sampling rate. After all, we're only talking hundreds of hz here, not hundreds of thousands. :)
MSat

Post by MSat »

I found some disk-shaped magnets that I was able create a makeshift bar magnet with, and did some further testing with my phone. The results were better than expected, and lead me to believe there really may be some promise in this method. If you consider the tiny size, the integrated functionality (ADCs & accelerometers), and their low costs, the potential benefits are immense, especially for the DIYer (ok, if you don't include soldering the damn things :lol: )
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Yeah if you can make it work, using pre-built components would certainly simplify this device a lot. I'm interested to see how far you can push this idea.
janoc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by janoc »

Hello guys,

I have read this thread and here are few of my notes.

I recommend that you have a look at this old article from Polhemus:
http://resenv.media.mit.edu/classes/MAS ... rticle.pdf

It explains how magnetic tracking works. It is an old article, but the magnetic technology is ancient. All magnetic trackers work like this. The AC/DC difference is an irrelevant detail, the measurement works still the same. AFAIK, the current holder of the patents is Sixsense - that is the company Razer has licensed the tech from, the same as Polhemus and Ascension. This could actually preclude an "open-source" implementation - the moment you start selling a kit (or anything) you get hit with a lawsuit - they are known to be very strict about enforcing their patents. It could be an interesting engineering and learning exercise, but considering that the Hydra costs ~100 EUR, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do it from scratch if you are looking for a cheap tracker.

Once you read that paper, you will realize that something like an Arduino is *not* going to cut it. You need a powerful CPU with good floating point support - that's why there is the Blackfin in the Hydra. The MotionStar/Flock of Birds contains actually a regular Pentium PC in that big box. You could potentially offload that calculation to the host PC, but most likely it would be too laggy - by the time you managed to send everything to the host, the sensor would have moved already and you still need to do the calculations. There are also lots of measurements that have to be taken with very tight timing constraints to be able to calculate position and orientation - so you would need a relatively powerful computer in the device anyway. I haven't seen a magnetic system that does this on the host and I am certain that someone would have done it already if it was possible. It is a lot cheaper to do calculations in the driver on a PC than having to embed a DSP - the cost of a DSP development is perhaps 10x higher due to it being specialized, hard to find skill.

I laughed at the note about someone liking wood for enclosures too in the MotionStar emitter teardown - that *must* be non-metallic enclosure, that cube contains the emitter coils (equivalent to the "ball" on the Hydra) and any metal would seriously hamper its functioning! It also must be very rigid, because misalignment of the coils would cause accuracy problems. Considering that the cube weighs ~20kg, most plastic is out as well, leaving you with wood. It isn't meant to be a portable system anyway.

Re differences with Hydra - actually not that many, just a Blackfin micro/DSP instead of an embedded PC - there weren't any affordable DSPs or powerful-enough micros available back in the 90s when MotionStar was designed, moreover the system has an Ethernet and TCP/IP connectivity - not something you could find in microcontrollers of the era. The emitter is larger - but we are also talking about a device with a 3m working range (6m if the cube is in the center, if I remember right). And it can actually drive two of those cubes working in tandem, for an even larger working space. So you need a lot of current (that's why there is the second, smaller box - it contains the coil drivers) and big coils + some hefty thick wiring. The MotionStars and Flock of Birds could use a smaller, short range emitter (e.g. for desktop use, like with an HMD), I believe that one doesn't need that second driver box - not 100% sure about it.

Re sensors - you pretty much have to use coils. MEMS sensors aren't going to cut it, because they don't have that fast response times. They are also built to sense tiny magnetic fields - like a field of a permanent magnet or the Earth. With something like MotionStar we are talking about a field that causes strong interference on CRT screens behind a wall in the next office - some 6 meters away. It needs to be that strong, otherwise you won't have sufficient range (problem of the weak coils in the Hydra - field intensity falls with the square of the distance) and interference in the workspace (metal, transformers, etc.) would distort the field heavily (again problem with the Hydra). You could potentially use Hall sensors, but those would need a ton of current, it is not practical to use them for this sort of application, especially if the sensors are wireless.

I have some more info on how Hydra works on my website: http://janoc.rd-h.com/archives/212

Regards,

Jan

P.S.: It is better to contact me by e-mail or on the VRGeeks mailing list, I am not following this forum regularly
Chriky
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Chriky »

Thanks that's a massive help. A couple of questions;

- Do you think there would be too much latency in using an Arduino board to read the sensors and then send the raw values over USB to a PC for processing?
- How hard is it to have several base stations? I am thinking about a multi-user setup where each player has a "base" on their chest and sensors on their hands/knees/feet etc. Could you vary the frequency of the base stations to avoid interference?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Thanks for the info, now we know why magnetometers will be of no use and why the Polhemus and Ascension Technology devices cost 20x as much as the Razer Hydra and are much better in any regard. :)
MSat

Post by MSat »

I'm going to be moving soon, so I won't be getting around to this project until early next year, though I have done some additional research. Based on what I know so far, I still have to kindly disagree that mems magnetometers as a whole are unsuitable for this task. Yes, they are sensitive, and can detect weak magnetic fields, but some of them can also detect strong fields from neodymium magnets at very close range without saturation. Such sensitivity is a good thing. As I've mentioned before, the Freescale part can sample up to 800Hz, and there is no need to have to use AC/pulsed-DC electromagnets to induce a current in the sensing coil. The only thing I don't know is how quickly the mems sensing element can detect a large change in the magnetic field vector (given the tiny mass, I'd guess quick enough). Another aspect of what I have proposed is that it doesn't use a "3D" coil, but rather 3 individual dipole electromagnets arranged so that position/orientation is determined using triangulation - so unless sixsense has also patented that, then we're safe :)
Krenzo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Krenzo »

janoc wrote:AFAIK, the current holder of the patents is Sixsense - that is the company Razer has licensed the tech from, the same as Polhemus and Ascension.
Do you have a source for that? The original patent filed by Polhemus is from 1975 and is no longer in effect (>20 years old). I can't find any info regarding any patents Sixense may own. I can't imagine the technology is still protected by patent due to its age.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

@ Janoc: thats some great info, thanks!
Do you have a source for that? The original patent filed by Polhemus is from 1975 and is no longer in effect (>20 years old). I can't find any info regarding any patents Sixense may own. I can't imagine the technology is still protected by patent due to its age.
That was exactly my thought. Surely these patents have expired by now...
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Here is a short introduction about magnetic tracking on Ascension Technology website : http://www.ascension-tech.com/blog/?p=94

Maybe it's only marketing blurb, but they say 1st generation magnetic trackers (AC electromagnetic tech) were first patented in the 70's by Polhemus, 2nd gen. (pulsed DC magnetic tech) by them in the 90's and 3rd gen. (DC magnetic tech also) by them in 2012. Polhemus also recently introduced a new device (the G4).

So maybe 1st and 2nd gen trackers (the ones that are used in their current flagship products) are free from patents now. But a solution should be found to make the cost down from several thousands of dollars to less than one hundred, not sure it's going to be easy.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

@janoc: Wow, what a gift! Nice information drop. I'm glad we're accumulating all this information here because at some point, somebody is going to find the time and resources to crack this nut. I'm still optimistic that a high quality system can be created for two or three hundred bucks, but I haven't done enough research to know how its all going to come together.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I dont really see why it would be too hard to do in terms of materials etc. PC's are cheap nowadays, so dedicating one wouldn't be a problem - its really sounding more of a software/signal processing problem than a hardware issue.

Could we use Hydras, at least initially, to provide most of the base hardware? IE, we could use the magnetic emitter, and/or cut the sensor coils off the base and use those? That way we would have solved the problem of the hardware for the transmitter and receiver coils in a standardized way, leaving us to sort out the rest of the solution...

I've actually bought myself a 'Nest of Birds' from ebay. Unfortunately its missing a transmitter, and it came with 6 sensors but they seem to be the wrong type (different plug, not sure if I can make an adapter or rewire them or what), so if anyone wants, I can take photos of the cards inside etc...
Aasimon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Aasimon »

Slightly off topic but, people keep talking about needing more CPU power to process this stuff. The PTAM thread has a similar issue with using DTAM instead, CPU power.

Has anybody looked at this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ada ... e?ref=live

Any thoughts?
It looks like a nice processing platform for data heavy sensors or webcams.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this stuff all implemented perfectly well on 70's and then again on 90's era CPU's. Surely small low-power processors today are equivalent to that technology (Arduino >= Pentium). I don't see how this technology could be processor limited in any way these days. Plus, Sixense and now Polhemus (G5) are both doing it with small form factors so there is the proof of concept.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

I'm not too familiar with Arduino, but we use Cypress systems-on-a-chip at work, and they have good floating point abilities and are $20 each. There are affordable solutions available.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

WiredEarp wrote:Could we use Hydras, at least initially, to provide most of the base hardware? IE, we could use the magnetic emitter, and/or cut the sensor coils off the base and use those? That way we would have solved the problem of the hardware for the transmitter and receiver coils in a standardized way, leaving us to sort out the rest of the solution...
I'm not sure the accuracy of the Hydra is good enough for head tracking. John Carmack tested that and found out it was quite bad, he talked about a 10° or 20° error after some time.
MSat

Post by MSat »

Fredz wrote:
WiredEarp wrote:Could we use Hydras, at least initially, to provide most of the base hardware? IE, we could use the magnetic emitter, and/or cut the sensor coils off the base and use those? That way we would have solved the problem of the hardware for the transmitter and receiver coils in a standardized way, leaving us to sort out the rest of the solution...
I'm not sure the accuracy of the Hydra is good enough for head tracking. John Carmack tested that and found out it was quite bad, he talked about a 10° or 20° error after some time.
An easy solution is to add an accelerometer to get the gravity vector.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Yeah, I think fusing an IMU would be a good way to stabilize the magnetic readings.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I've heard that, but I haven't noticed that at all myself. That seems a very large error, and I can't see any reason why a large error would accumulate like that without any change in the environment. I can understand jumping, but not a drift of that magnitude? Unless the 'glitch' that shows up on the test app, is actually a recalibration to avoid this issue...
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I guess he experienced that when being relatively far from the base since he was probably testing head tracking. It seems the accuracy falls quite rapidely in this case.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”