Android Rift (beta test available)

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
loxai
One Eyed Hopeful

Android Rift (beta test available)

Post by loxai »

Hi!

I'm new here, been an occasional visitor when needing some answers on VR stuff and now decided to join. Well, I do have my special reason for joining now: I've just made public a beta version of my app, Android Rift.

Android Rift is an... Android app that connects to a PC (using a Windows application I prepared) to display PC games and deliver tracking data. Combined with a Google Cardboard or a Durovis Dive, you can set up a neat VR gaming environment, quite like the Oculus but cheaper... well, and lower quality: I do not get very high frame rates or resolutions (your mileage may vary, depending on your hardware).

Anyway, I was wondering if this would be of interest to any of you (I guess most of you have some cool hardware VR set already), and if you could give it a spin and provide some feedback, reporting suggestions and issues.
Also would be interested to learn which games work best with it (I proxy phone tracking data with OpenTrack, which feeds the game with the FreeTrack protocol, or others like FlightGear). So far my best experience has been with Condor Gliding Simulator (the actual reason for the project, as I'm into gliding).

So, for anyone interested, here's a link with instructions and downloads (if being a rookie here allows to post):
http://oddsheepgames.com/?page_id=134

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=994j9agMc0s

Cheers!
neo16
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Android Rift (beta test available)

Post by neo16 »

I really found this very cool, but I think your "initial setup guide" is outdated or incomplete, I really didn't find explanation for every single aspect of the app and the windows server program, could you just compose a complete one with screenshots and other things? The coolest thing would be to do ALL with only your app and your sever program without the use of opentrack, maybe "emulating" the presence of the rift on the windows machine, so anyone could use other VR drivers like Tridef and Vorpx

In the meantime congratulations, I think you are on the way to produce a great product for all VR and Rift fans. Why don't you put it on the Google Play market?
loxai
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by loxai »

Thanks for the feedback. The guide is definitely outdated, but for good reason: the app has been under development for a short time and there are things changing quite often, so there is no point in maintaining documentation. That said, the upcoming version has better UI with in-app help. It also integrates a couple of VR protocols (and more should be coming) so that there is no need for OpenTrack or FreePie.
I do think next iteration will be good enough to publish on Google Play. My only fear about that is that some individuals tend to be quite quick on giving apps one star rating if they are unable to make it work properly, there is some bug or missing a specific feature they would like. So publishing too early can be risky (and frustrating), but I look forward to do so! (and please be patient and positive when rating :) )
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

do you stream game output over WiDi?
loxai
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by loxai »

No, I use my own software to stream content. I haven't really checked Widi, but could be an alternative for hardware that supports it, so I might research the option in the future.
neo16
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neo16 »

Can you please hide phone buttons while streaming? it really distracts me. Also can you post some screenshots of the updated app? the old one was using a strange layout (being a Java Developer myself I think you are using some particular one)
neo16
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neo16 »

I think something like this would be more appropiate
loxai
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by loxai »

I will remove the buttons, thanks for pointing that out.
I've never paid much attention to layouts, to be honest... so I tend to do ugly UIs :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neo16
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neo16 »

What is it, a border layout?
loxai
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by loxai »

it's tablelayout
neo16
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neo16 »

What about releasing the source code? I would like to collaborate, maybe with a repository. Put it like on github or googlecode, you decide. If I contribute I just would like to be mentioned.
neo16
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neo16 »

and anyway when you will release the next one?
loxai
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by loxai »

thanks for the help offer but I'm good for now :)
I hope to publish a new version (with plenty of changes) by tomorrow
neo16
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neo16 »

I understand you, you want it to be your "creature" only :D . I'll try it as soon as you release it
neo16
One Eyed Hopeful

!

Post by neo16 »

I bought the full version anyway, you deserve money! ;)
loxai
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Android Rift (now Trinus Gyre and available on Google Pl

Post by loxai »

Thanks neo16 :)

I just want to point out to any visitor that might check the video: that's quite an old one and results are certainly not as good as latest version (Trinus Gyre, available on Google Play). Among other things, latency is lower now, although still not ideal (I plan to add USB streaming for sub 30ms lag).

Here's a video focusing on how to set up the server, and a bit more in game footage (with horrible lighting though, sorry... anybody good at shooting these, would also be nice to see other user experiences :) )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ1x3u79qBg
JuxtaThePozer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JuxtaThePozer »

Hey guys and hey loxai,

Thanks for the software, I've been having fun testing it out though it's still early days yet!

So I recently bought a ColorCross headset and got Trinus Gyre and Vireio Perception working in conjunction with my Galaxy S5, playing Half-Life 2 over Wi-Fi. I shot a short video and posted it here
http://youtu.be/1IKVlezL4U0

There is latency of at least a couple hundred milliseconds which is untenable for VR but as a proof of concept it was a worthwhile test. Next step is to wait for my USB 3.0 cable to arrive in the mail and try Trinus Gyre in USB tethered mode.

Anyone else have some results to post with this setup?

Love your work on the software loxai and I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses :)

Cheers,
Juxta
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Hannibalj2 »

This is very cool indeed.

Can you update on the latency after the usb 3 is implemented?! :o
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
Bluedeath
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bluedeath »

Hi could you add the possibility to track form a different source than the device where the image is displayed?
I'm going to buy your software anyway is too good but id like to tweak things a little bit.
I need a different tracker because I'm building an oculus like HMD with a teclast P78hd that is a cheap china built android 7" tablet but has 1920x1200 native irresolution IPS LCD. the problem is that i am afraid it lacks gyroscopic sensors (it costs less than 100$).
In the meantime i am just planning to use a gyro mouse as workaround but i'd like to Use my S4 as head tracker with trakir protocol. (im not using it as display because i needed a 7" diplay to achieve more FOV) thanks in advance.
BTW any chance you can implement full screen support?
JuxtaThePozer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JuxtaThePozer »

Hannibalj2 wrote:This is very cool indeed.

Can you update on the latency after the usb 3 is implemented?! :o

Latency is much better but it was fairly jerky. CPU was working hard to keep up!

Thanks, more testing and tweaking I think ;-)

-Juxta
Last edited by JuxtaThePozer on Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

@Loxai

Is this similar to what this guy is trying to do on KS?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sh ... =discovery
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

OMG just got this to work over my wifi at home, it totally works!!! flawlessly too... OMG!!! seriously ive tried every streaming thing out there and nothing has come this close!

You should do a touch no VR mode too, like splashtop, gestureworks gameplay, to make things touchscreenable...

Tried it with Shadow of Mordor and wolfenstein (amazing) new order (just see black screen but mouse works)

Please please do wiimote gyro tracking so I can use it as a gun, and im set :D (with my zeemote)

Damn damn, why did I leave my newly upgraded google cardboard at work today!!!

Also are you able to do audio to the phone too?
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Latency?
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

Cercata
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cercata »

OMG, I'm totally amazed !!!!! I got it working on 5 minutes with F1 2012 !!!!!
I never removed a free app from my phone to replace it with the paid version, it's totally worth it.

Can you reset the calibration from the PC keyboard with a shot-cut ? Sin the the phone screen may be not very accesible.
Edit: I have just seen that you have a reset button for defining a key, but it only resets one Axis ...

Do you recommend buying tridef 3d ?
Last edited by Cercata on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

Cercata wrote:OMG, I'm totally amazed !!!!! I got it working on 5 minutes with F1 2012 !!!!!
I never removed a free app from my phone to replace it with the paid version, it's totally worth it.

Can you reset the calibration from the PC keyboard with a shot-cut ? Sin the the phone screen may be not very accesible.

Do you recommend buying tridef 3d ?
Tridef works very well except the creators have now abandoned all support and will no longer realease settings for new games, also you can only install your copy or tridef once so who knows what will happen when they shut support..

So on the performance yes I recommend on the fact it's about to be abandoned, no
Cercata
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cercata »

WOW, I don't want to buy something that is gonna be abandoned and has a so draconian DRM :(

Thanks

By the way, do Shadow of Mordor and wolfenstein suport headtracking ? I mean, independent like ARMA, not tied to direction like skyrim ...
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

I think the head tracking is mouse emulation but I can't get it to work atm :( I've almost got my VR setup ready just waiting on the head tracking and I'd be making YouTubes like crazy lol

Seems when the game starts the head tracking stops, works if anything else on the computer has focus... Use limelight mode to stream video and audio but then you don't get barrel distortion to correct the HMD lenses
Cercata
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cercata »

I'm waiting for my cardboard & chinavasion revelation !!!!!!! It can be up to 3 weeks, but I want to have the software setup ready.

Gook luck with your head tracking.
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

Chinavision is just the colorcross which you get cheap from aliexpress I got mine this week, it's smaller than u thought
Hero
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hero »

Is there any trick to getting the application window to perfectly scale to the phone's screen? I've tried this with GZ3Doom and vr_mode 8 (as opposed to 3) on my Note 3 over USB and it seems to always just cut off 5% from the top and bottom of the game and is also misaligned by just a few pixels horizontally. I know I can use the "Border fix" to change where the streamed position cuts off and it allows me to view more of the content, and I manually align the game horizontally, but I'm still missing a good chunk of the game both above and below where it should cut off.

That being said, I really am blown away by how much you've simplified the process of both streaming and implementing head control! :woot
Knightfury
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Knightfury »

Colorcross on order :D

I've been trying a few tricks myself to get something decent going but nothing as easy as this (talking to chinese vendors who don't really understand what I'm saying about screens, hair pulling isn't even close).

Have a galaxy 5 too, hows the framerate? was hard to see how it responded. Trying to get something like this working for elite dangerous :D (Already built the flight pit).
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

First thing about using colorcross is that it will hurt your face, its held quite tight against it and theres very little padding... I need to mod mine where its pushing into my forehead.... might add a small amount of folded up bubble wrap on it.
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Any dizzy effect from lag latency so far? How would you compare it to the DK1?

loxai
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by loxai »

I haven't played with a DK1, only tried DK2 for a bit. But some people mentioned the experience is better than that of DK1.
There have been plenty of updates, btw, still many to come!

Since results can vary a lot depending on system, connection, etc. I suggest you give it a try. There's a free version for that :)

Head to trinusvr.com for links and detailed information on how to use.

I'll leave you with a video of GTA 5 I saw recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Izl7t3EMs
Creator of TrinusVR, a software solution to play PC VR using your smartphone
Try it for free!
http://trinusvr.com

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”