3d projector with ps3

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
seattledesi
One Eyed Hopeful

3d projector with ps3

Post by seattledesi »

i'm an old school 3d guy.. XP/nvidia stereo with edimensional shutter glassses. So I hope my other 3d bros can help me with some research.

I have a ps3 (fat one), and plan to eventually upgrade the PC to the latest greatest DX11 shite. What projector in the market today will support the PS3 3d, and its format of "frame packing"? And i guess hdmi 1.4 support?

Does that projector come with glasses, or will i have to buy glasses separately, like nvidia 3d vision?

Do polarized projector setups work with the ps3 and nvidia?

And finally, when are the high-res 720p native HMD's getting released? Will they support PC 3d and ps3 3d?

thx for helping.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: 3d projector with ps3

Post by Fredz »

The best projectors seem to be the H5360 (around $500) and the HD67N ($600-$650), they are only 720p but 1080p projectors are still very expensive for now. Coupled with a 3D converter (HDMI 1.4 to page flipped 720p in DLP-Link format) you should be able to play PS3 games and possibly view Blu-Ray 3D movies with some models (downscaled 1080p->720p).

I know three such converters :
- ViewSonic VP3D1 (announced at $299) + 1 pair of ViewSonic PGD-250 DLP-Link glasses, available at the end of march : no idea on compat with games and movies ;
- Optoma 3D-XL ($350-$400) + 1 pair of Optoma ZD201 DLP-Link glasses : compatible with games and movies ;
- VIP 3-D Gamer with no glasses ($199) with glasses similar to 3D Vision ones ($259) : only compatible with games

The DLP-Link technique is not as good as the one using IR emitters because of the DLP-Link white flashes though. The image has a little bit less contrast, black levels are greyer and the colors seem to suffer a bit too. I don't know any converter that support IR glasses though.

You can also wait some months and buy the H5360BD which is basically an H5360 with added HDMI 1.4a compatibility and 24p support for movies. It'll be available in april and the price on release is thought to be under $800.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Don't the Optoma 3DXL have a VESA 3D-sync port ?
You could plug an IR emitter there.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I thought the same, but this test (in French) seems to confirm it's not compatible with an IR emitter :
http://www.hdfever.fr/2011/01/16/test-r ... oma-3d-xl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seules les lunettes DLP Link seront compatibles (toutes marques confondues), mais pas les lunettes IR des TV 3D, ou RF, ou encore Bluetooth, même si cela pourrait venir via le port IR proposé par le boitier… (Edit : pas de support de lunettes IR de prévu par ce port. Merci Pascal ;)
The comment he refers to :
Pascal wrote:bah non mais j’ai posé la meme question que toi à optoma et ils m’ont clairement dit que ça servirai jamais à piloter des lunettes 3D en IR
Translation : I've asked the same question to Optoma and they clearly stated that it (the IR port) won't ever be used to pilot 3D IR glasses.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

That is surprising, good find then.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
seattledesi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by seattledesi »

you rock Fredz.. i will keep an eye out for the Acer. I'm not too keen on adding converters.

Found more details on the Acer here: http://www.ttkn.com/technology/enjoy-th ... -8962.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any ideas on how 3d-cable tv will work with these projectors? Is the format similar to ps3 frame packing?

Where is polarized projector technology heading to? The reald system looks pretty good in theaters.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

the LG BX327 has been confirmed to work out of the box with the PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1327314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unfortunately, it is an XGA projector, meaning you will be limited to 1024x768, 4:3 AR. Current price is $760 on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/BX327-3200-Lumens ... B004BU2M0G" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anything with a hdmi 1.4 connection is required to recognize top/bottom and side-by-side 3d inputs according to the specification. i believe the ps3 outputs top/bottom for games and blu-rays and 3d broadcasts are in side-by-side. so any projector/add-on that accepts hdmi 1.4 input will work with standard 3d content, (3d blu-ray, ps3, 3d broadcast).

polarized solutions are out there as well. most involve a dual projector setup, (although LG has a solution where 2 engines are built in to a single projector). special silver screens are needed as well. the cheapest 720p solution would be DIY, which would realistically be around $2000 or higher. professional options (LG, Runco, DepthQ) run from at least $6000 to $20k or so. there are also polarized modulators, similar to the z-screen real-d tech used in theaters, that are currently $5000+. all these prices are just ballpark guesstimates but certainly not cheap by any means.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

I confirmed Acer H5360BD work with PS3 natively. I try out Killzone 3 but due to the limited hardware capability, I feel that the resolution is lower compare to 2D. I prefer 3D gaming using a PC and 3DTV Play.
seattledesi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by seattledesi »

just now ran across a very interesting article : http://3dvision-blog.com/the-1080p-3d-c ... o-3d-mode/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good analysis that based on current standards, especially PS3 output, 720p is probably the best bang-for-the-buck option.

On a side note, i wonder why the film world is stuck at 24fps.. i dont get the "film look" argument. With so many movies featuring fast action sequences, arent you better off with 60fps?

Can someone point me to the preferred DLP-link glass brand that will work with the new 720p 3d projectors?

thx..
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

seattledesi wrote:On a side note, i wonder why the film world is stuck at 24fps.. i dont get the "film look" argument. With so many movies featuring fast action sequences, arent you better off with 60fps?
Avatar 2 will most probably be shot at 48 or 60 fps according to James Cameron, maybe this will change the trend. I seriously hope so considering what he had to say after testing 24 vs 48 vs 60 Hz :
http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2011/03/c ... rketSaw%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seattledesi wrote:Can someone point me to the preferred DLP-link glass brand that will work with the new 720p 3d projectors?
thx..
I guess any pair of DLP-Link glasses should work, your preferences will probably mostly be guided by the form factor of the glasses and their weight, and probably by their ability to not alter the image in a too ugly way, which is the main problem with this DLP-Link technology. That and the eye inversions...
seattledesi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by seattledesi »

Fredz wrote:I guess any pair of DLP-Link glasses should work, your preferences will probably mostly be guided by the form factor of the glasses and their weight, and probably by their ability to not alter the image in a too ugly way, which is the main problem with this DLP-Link technology. That and the eye inversions...
could you elaborate? how does dlp-link "alter" the image?

The eye inversion should be switchable right.. my E-D glasses have a button to switch left-right eye to sync with the monitor. i'm guessing the newer dlp-link glasses have something similar..
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Not all DLP-Link glasses have an inverter button, most of them don't in fact, my eDim glasses don't have this button either. It's probably more useful to put this button on a projector anyway (most do have it) since when the eyes are inverted it's for all the people who are watching. And having a 50% chance of it being the case each time you start a movie or a game, I guess it could get on the nerves rapidely.

For the DLP-Link glasses altering the images, it's simply because white flashes are emitted by the projector between the frames to tell the glasses to switch. This light is not completely filtered by the glasses despite the efforts of the manufacturers, and it produces a shift in colorimetry (blueish tint) and greyer blacks which give less contrast and a more pale image.

The fact that you don't need an emitter is a plus though.
seattledesi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by seattledesi »

any progress in 3d projectors in the last 6 months?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

seattledesi wrote:any progress in 3d projectors in the last 6 months?
Sadly, not much. The only thing of interest is the Acer H5360BD, which supports HDMI 1.4a. However its very hard to find, at least in the US.
seattledesi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by seattledesi »

looks like we have a promising projector from Optoma.. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391264,00.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/HD33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In stock.. september 9!!
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD33-1080p ... B005C982NG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anyone know more?
emmaorabelle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by emmaorabelle »

Some projectors may come with glasses included, but most likely you will need to purchase them separately. Check the specifications of the projector you are interested in to see what type of glasses it uses.
Polarized projector setups do work with the PS3, but they are not compatible with Nvidia 3D Vision as that technology requires active shutter glasses.
As for high-res 720p native HMDs, there are already some on the market, such as the Pimax 8K and the HP Reverb G2. These HMDs should support PC 3D, but whether they will support PS3 3D will depend on the specific model and its compatibility with the PS3. It's always a good idea to check the manufacturer's specifications before making a purchase. rankdle

Return to “3D Projectors”