My Passive polarised Dual-projector setup

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
jackbauer
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: My Passive polarised Dual-projector setup

Post by jackbauer »

Likay wrote:A question: I plan just to get two pairs of dolby glasses to use as filters for a start (i've heard the aperture is small though). inspite of that, will these to some degree show what to expect finally?
Hello Likay,

Two pairs of glasses will be enough for you to to start with. My present setup uses flat filters from Dolby but I see very little difference compared to my previous setup with lenses from glasses. It is a little better in the corners as I have very short throw projectors (1.5:1).

History of my setups:
Linear polars => Dolby from glasses => Dolby flat filters

In case #2, the aperture of the lens is wide enough to let the full beam go through, but a little wider would have been better in my case (short throw). Thats one of the reasons why I ordered real flat filters.

Opening in plastic frame: 38 x 32 mm

With this setup you will have everything to make your decision. If you want to play videos, download my LUT tables and try them. If you are using standard UHP lamps, they would work well. If not, you can play with my calibration routines to make your own tables.
I have two 3-lcd-panel projectors and if successful with the glasses test i think i can mod these :P (devilish idea with good chance of permanent failure... :twisted: ) by replacing the internal original mirrors with infitec dichroic ones if they have such stuffs. 3 mirrors will be needed for each pj in that case and i have no idea yet of the eventual (probably too much) cost for this.
Cost: A set of two flat filters (left and right) is listed at 320$ (Dolby Price List).

Would have been a good idea but...
Remember that an interference filter is a glass plate with several (~50) vacuum deposited layers. Spacing beetween layers is critical as this spacing defines which wavelength go through and which is reflected. If the beam angle is not 90 degrees, spacing increases, shifting the values. 10 degrees is enough to let crosstalk appear. Aren't the mirrors in a LCD projector 45 degrees ?

The best place to put the filter inside a projector is between the IR dichroic filter and the block of panels (before/after the fresnel lens I dont know).

Bad news for me: I just happened to open one of my projectors this afternoon.

Everything is pack up very tight and there is absolutely no room available to insert the filter, unless I take apart everything, that I do not want. I dont want to disassemble/reassemble the whole thing and say: Hey, I have those 2 screws left.... :shock: )

Too bad one can see 2 slits (one vertical, one horizontal), but I think they are here for air flowing, not for possible filters.
I thought of putting the filter in the lamp itself, building some kind of sliders to set the filter IN/OUT. That would have been smart, as this would not have impaired the projector's waranty. But:

1. In my case, they are smaller (50x50mm) than the lamp opening (60x55mm)
2. As they are highly reflective, they should not be put before the IR dichroic filter which belong to the projector.
So my filters will stay outside. One thing I could do is moving the setup farther away from the screen and zoom less. We'll see...

The lamp compartment, the lamp and the IR filter (angled). Right behind, we can see the fresnell lens.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

jackbauer wrote:
Likay wrote:A question: I plan just to get two pairs of dolby glasses to use as filters for a start (i've heard the aperture is small though). inspite of that, will these to some degree show what to expect finally?
Hello Likay,

Two pairs of glasses will be enough for you to to start with. My present setup uses flat filters from Dolby but I see very little difference compared to my previous setup with lenses from glasses. It is a little better in the corners as I have very short throw projectors (1.5:1).
Thank you! I plan to use it initially as experiment and this is good news!

jackbauer wrote:
Likay wrote:I have two 3-lcd-panel projectors and if successful with the glasses test i think i can mod these :P (devilish idea with good chance of permanent failure... :twisted: ) by replacing the internal original mirrors with infitec dichroic ones if they have such stuffs. 3 mirrors will be needed for each pj in that case and i have no idea yet of the eventual (probably too much) cost for this.
Cost: A set of two flat filters (left and right) is listed at 320$ (Dolby Price List).

Would have been a good idea but...
Remember that an interference filter is a glass plate with several (~50) vacuum deposited layers. Spacing beetween layers is critical as this spacing defines which wavelength go through and which is reflected. If the beam angle is not 90 degrees, spacing increases, shifting the values. 10 degrees is enough to let crosstalk appear. Aren't the mirrors in a LCD projector 45 degrees ?
Yes they are but if somewhat successful with the glasses i plan to exchange the internal dichroic mirrors of the lcd instead of adding an extra filter! I made some loose studies about the 3-lcd principle and hopefully infitec has dichroic mirrors especially for 3-lcd's. I know they modify some existing projectors but not which types or how.
The mirrors in 3-lcd's are dichroic and maybe the extra filtering of the infitec glasses will cause a very high basecolor lightloss with some basecolors vs l/r-lenses. I have no idea how "narrow" the original dichroic filters in the lcd's are for now but it may cause some trouble...
I probably typed an error in previous post about needing 3 mirrors/pj. Two mirrors with infitec specs seems needed for each pj. The mirrors should be a tad cheaper than standard infitec/dolby filters since they do not have so many "active" layers but that's just a very uneducated guess... I'm not sure dolby sells those mirrors either and if they do i assume alignment might be very critical! If possible to get a hold of those mirrors one big plus is that the basic colors of the projectors are entirely replaced and the brightness should theoretically be the same as is now! Maybe metamerism between people will be reduced as well?

jackbauer wrote:Everything is pack up very tight and there is absolutely no room available to insert the filter, unless I take apart everything, that I do not want. I dont want to disassemble/reassemble the whole thing and say: Hey, I have those 2 screws left.... :shock: )
Getting two screws as leftovers is not the worst thing that can happen... I'm certainly not determined to make such a mod to my pj's yet. Even if they're old they're deared but if i want to change the mirrors i need to take everything apart thus really risqueing the functionality of the pjs without possibility to restore them...

jackbauer wrote:One thing I could do is moving the setup farther away from the screen and zoom less. We'll see...
If you have the space, definitely!

For my concern this could fall on many things. Maybe i'll try to get a hold of a cheap 3-lcd-pj with a broken lamp just for pre-tests. :lol:

Cheers!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
jackbauer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jackbauer »

Likay wrote:I probably typed an error in previous post about needing 3 mirrors/pj. Two mirrors with infitec specs seems needed for each pj.
OK. LCD can use only 2 dichroic mirrors. But with Infitec, I am afraid you will actually need three of them:

Lets assume each color spectrum is divided in two: R=R1+R2 / G=G1+G2 / B=B1+B2

Assume projector #1:
R panel: R1 goes through, the others are reflected.
G panel: G1 reflected, the others go through.
That leaves R2 + G2 + B1 + B2. If you want only B1 to reach B panel, you must use a third dichroic mirror.

Also this mirror must not have a solid back. R2+G2+B2 must fall in a lumen trap. Never used.

To avoid crosstalk between the two projectors, you also need gaps between wavelength notches. You lose about 60% of the light overall.
The mirrors should be a tad cheaper than standard infitec/dolby filters since they do not have so many "active" layers but that's just a very uneducated guess...
Crosstalk requirement will not allow this. Notch edges must be steep and you will need gaps.
If possible to get a hold of those mirrors one big plus is that the basic colors of the projectors are entirely replaced and the brightness should theoretically be the same as is now!
Sorry Likay, 40% at best. :( R2 G2 B2 and gaps are definitely lost.

IMO, it should be better to use a single Infitec filter between the lamp and the first miror. You may lose an extra 5-10% light but it should be much simpler.

An idea:
Putting the filter in the lamp itself should be possible...

EDIT:
Interesting explanation/warnings about UHP lamps: http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/philips ... Lamps.html
...where you can read: UHP lamps are not good toys for casual experimenters. :o I agree.

Too bad. So I give up. Filters will stay outside ! Still much better than polars anyway. :)

Jack
jackbauer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jackbauer »

Please find my Infitec/dolby color correction software kit version2:
http://jptheking.free.fr/3d/Dolby_calib ... kit-v2.zip

This of course is only for playing 3D movies. No gaming.
Jack

EDIT: Documentation can be found here: http://jptheking.free.fr/3d/Dolby_calibration_kit.doc
jackbauer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jackbauer »

Likay, have a look:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st20269971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Thanks. I've got the filters quite some time ago but i lack the time to try it out properly yet (the drop-in of 3ds takes some of the freetime i have too... lol).
Much work but money drops in and very little time to spend them... :roll:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
hciputra
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hciputra »

Great thread, with regards to tearing due to Nvidia non existant horizontal span mode in Win7, wonder if anyone have used this before http://www.dhgate.com/mviewer-mv103-hdv ... 3759f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
basically it does the spanning work, the box is tricking the OS to think that it is a very high resolution monitor which then split into 2. Maybe it will help in gaming too? Matrox have a box like this too DualHead2Go, but i think this Mviewer is superior as it uses dual link DVI input instead of VGA in the matrox

Regards
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I think Matrox also has a DVI dual link version and a DisplayPort of the dual-head2go. But it's still an extra purchase.

By the way, iZ3D has introduced a side-by-side span mode in the latest iZ3D beta driver designed to leverage AMD Eyefinity span mode.
The feature is hidden in the config.xml file and is not documented yet. In some games, it works great, it other games it's buggy or fails to render, it's still a beta feature but at least it's there !

I've been able to play UT3 and Devil May Cry 4 with perfect sync. It's so good on the big screen !
http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=30005#30005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
jackbauer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jackbauer »

I am actually using a matrox triplehead2go digital (dual link DVI required).

For video playing, it is the *only* answer I found to address the judder/tearing/sync issues. I can then use overlay and reclock. I am using 48fps as I am doing frame interpolation as well.

If you can do that with the graphic card settings, then there is no problem for you. I have never been able to achieve that on my side with 7 different entry level graphic cards (I am no player) including ATI, NVIDIA and MATROX. To speak truly, I have not tested Vista, Seven (I am an XP guy) and high range graphic cards. Mine is an ATI Radeon HD 3400 (no need for more).

Jack
relaxman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by relaxman »

XP has issues with dual screen directx acceleration.
Only one is hw. accelerated, so this is why delay, tearing occurs.
This is fixed in vista/w7.

But despite this i have great success in XP with Ati 5450 and extended display mode. No tearing and no sync issue. I will test the 48 fps, but our movie is in 50i format, so we see 50fps right now :)
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I do not have any 50p footage, but on my setup I can configure the desktop to run in 24Hz, 50Hz or 60Hz in eyefinity mode. No sync or tearing issues here.
I did try 24p footage though, and the difference in judder is noticeable (and noticed my MediaplayerClassic's playback statistics)

After a week of testing the hidden iZ3D side by side "span" mode.
There's a good reason why it's hidden : it's still very buggy.
There are very few games that run 100% perfect, the main issues are usually mouse pointer related and a difference in aspect ratio between 2D elements (hud, menu interface, etc...) and 3D elements (the rest of the game). However most games are playable and display with perfect sync, which is great !
My only real disappointment is that all Source-engine based games (HL2, Left4Dead, Portal 2,...) show a black screen ingame, and therefore are unplayable on the dual-projector.
I have high hopes that the situation will improve if iZ3D keep working on it and be as useable as any other output.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501

Return to “3D Projectors”