Questions about running non-native 3D games in VR

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Questions about running non-native 3D games in VR

Post by chilledsanity »

I'm looking forward to VR to use with older not-natively-supported games. I'm not expecting full headtracking for everything, but what I'm hoping for will be to set up sort of a "virtual 3D cinema." So if I look ahead, I can see the game in 3D in front of me, but if I look to the side, it's like I'm in a theater. I think this would cut down on potential nausea (and being able to adjust my distance from the screen) and what games would still be compatible for 3D. Anyway, I have a few questions if anyone can help:

1. Right now there seems to be 3 main solutions for using VR on older games, Tridef, VorpX, and VireIO. Are these ONLY game-specific solutions, or will they work on any D3D 9 program as long as it's not doing something odd with the rendering?

2. If I had one of these installed, then tried to run another, will the software / drivers fight with each other? (not for the same game, just in general if I had one installed.)

3. How is the depth on these solutions? While I don't need headtracking, I do want deep, immersive 3D and not something that feels more flat like a popup book.

4. Besides inevitable game-specific glitches, is there anything else I should be concerned about for trying to play older games in 3D inside a VR headset?

I'm mostly just looking for specifics on each of these and possible suggestions. While of course this won't be as good as native VR content, I'm really hoping to relive a lot of older games in good 3D via the rift or vive. Any other commentary on this general topic is welcome.
modobo
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Questions about running non-native 3D games in VR

Post by modobo »

I just noticed that u got zero replies to ur question like me so I decided to share my own experience. To answer ur question, forget about playing the old non 3d games in vr, u cannot convert a flat 2d game into 3d. As for the very old win xp games like Klingon Honor guard etc, invest in a HDMI 2 to 1 screen splitter. U need a good card for this though, must have at least 3 HDMI ports or 2 HDMI and 1 DVI. Im assuming u are using a DIY vr goggle with a 7 inch screen not an android phone (too much lag). For the vr effect, u can use an air mouse or if u r rich, buy TrackIR kit.
Dangermoose007
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Questions about running non-native 3D games in VR

Post by Dangermoose007 »

Sounds like you are looking for something like Big Screen, or Virtual Desktop. You are essentially inside your HMD and a virtual room, but in front of you is a 2d display of your desktop and any applications you want to run on it, like old 2d games.

Virtual desktop: http://store.steampowered.com/app/382110/
Big Screen: http://store.steampowered.com/app/457550/

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”