Wired Magazine story about the Oculus Rift

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Wired Magazine story about the Oculus Rift

Post by budda »

Hi.

Since the Oculus Rift is now being released, this is a timely and topical article.

The Inside Story of how Oculus cracked the impossible design of VR

Link from Wired: http://www.wired.com/2016/03/oculus-des ... l-reality/

thanks.
JacobVR
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Wired Magazine story about the Oculus Rift

Post by JacobVR »

I remember going to one of the earliest VR arcades, “Virtuality,” in my local shopping mall around 1993. VR was tried, released to great fanfare, tested, and found wanting. Then it disappeared into the ether with Furbies and Tamagotchi. It is entirely possible that could happen again—and what will keep it from happening is not price, but quality.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Wired Magazine story about the Oculus Rift

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, my first taste of virtual reality was at the Virtuality arcade in '93, just like you. It showed great promise, and really go me interested, but the technology wasn't ready back then.

Blocky, flat-shaded polygons, choppy framerates, heavy and cumbersome hardware. It's really nothing like what we have now. It's like saying the iPhone will fail because the Newton never made it or whatever. It's night and day.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”