My Customized "Nebula 3D" China brand HMD Rebuild.

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Radioboy86
One Eyed Hopeful

My Customized "Nebula 3D" China brand HMD Rebuild.

Post by Radioboy86 »

20151110_024314.jpg
Here are some pics of the project I did. It's simple but I am pleased with it. My crappy china video hmd was just not good enough to use. The arms were pinching my ears and made the glasses way too far from the exit pupil. The unit is really bad quality in manufacturing. It is a lower model chasis that was made to fit the "Nebula 3D HDMI" glasses components. I was able to rearrange the earbuds and get the wires situated with velcro and foam. It now weighs almost nothing. It is the lightest HMD I have now. I have focus it and the image looks nice on all coners. I have a huge bone bridge in my nose so this is imparative for someone like me. I find the LCD panels to be fast, no burn in, best in class : color/resolution/specs/options. I have tried the Accupix Mybud & Vuzix 1200DX models. These kill those in optics and screen quality. I would say the FOV on the Nebula's is around 35 FOV DIAG honestly. It may be listed as 32, however I feel the screen fills my vision pretty well. These are NOT as big in the FOV as the Olympus FMD-250W. The quality of the screen is 854x480 16:9. The contrast is superb and the brightness is great! The 3D is really good too! SBS on Dead Trigger Tridef really looked damn good. I mean, I am picky with this stuff. For a portable SBS 3D/HDMI 720p/Bright/Colorful/Fast/No Motion blur/No Burn In/Great Contrast/Compact pair of 3D HMD glasses... These are the best I have tried. The FOV on the Cinemizer's is just too low for me at 30. Screen size is first than quality of optics. The optics in these "Nebula" glasses are really good for China brand models I have tried. I reccomend you give these a shot. They really are good. My unit had one little reflective pixel all lit up... But! I can never notice it unless its a COMPLETELY black screen. Modding this was NOT fun and the wires can break soooooo easily. Be careful when opening it up. You have to push the main wires to the power lead and the grounds. etc all the way in front of the glasses. The glasses do not get hot and they seem to be stable. They have no breakout box and are charged by a USB 2.0 hardwired cable. The HDMI is real 720p @60Hz as is the 3D SBS. The ajustments on the controller unit are GAMMA/BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST. The color and sharpness looks PERFECT. I guess this really is the one to get if you are like me. It's identical to the Nvidia Shield's 720p quality and provides me with a 55-60" HD-3DTV on the go. I would say it feels like you are sitting about 6 or 7 feet away from the screen. It's not a theater experience but more of a virtual 3DTV on the go thing. The default design is just bad. The arms even cut into the main power leads inside! If you adjust them constantly the unit will fail and you will unkowningly "saw" through tht poorly designed cable. I am very glad I ripped mine apart to fix these issues! enjoy! This is not a "MOD" it's not very technical it's just a good way to make these otherwise "Bad" Glasses ALMOST equal if not better in FOV to the expensive 720p mobile 3D HMD Market.

- Resolution 854x480 HDMI 1.4 Color Format
- FOV "Diagonal" : 32 listed, Feels like 34-35. "As big or same as Vuzix 1200DX/Accupix Mybud"
- HDMI & USB are built into 1 cable so it's really compact
- HDMI Interface "No breakout Box"
- USB 2.0 Powered
- Built in mini controller on HDMI/USB cable (Controls : Brightness "10 Levels" /Contrast "10 Levels" /Gamma Settings "4 Levels"
- R/B Balance/Temperture is Cooler "I like that better than eMagin's Warmer OLED quailty.
- Contrast is rated at like 40:1 - It's a joke... The Contrast is really decent and BEST I have seen on these class devices.
- Stereo Earbuds are DECENT and give normal soundstage.
- SBS 3D@720p really looks better than I thought. It's just great from what I saw on Youtube3D & The games I tried on Tridef Android.
- SBS 3D is triggered by a hardware button shared with the controller unit. "This is great NO forced autodetection crap"
- 2D image quality looks so damn good. I lined it up with my 50" Panasonic Plasma "On couch screen was 60!" (Glasses Looked ALMOST as clear!)

*I reccomend these if you can mod them. thanks!

Ill finish with my closing remarks and links to where they MIGHT be selling these... Not sure you can even get them anymore... New models come all the time and then... bam... they replace good stuff with garbage.

* Listen these have so many issues and my unit has a damn dead/hot/reflective pixel! I guess it's not perfect but these are the BEST China brand glasses/hmd series I have tried... They kill the Vuzix 1200DX... They murder the MyBud... This thing is so light and portable... Just mod it with some foam and add some velcro... It makes it easy to adjust and super compact... The unit is not perfect but if you want a cheaper 854x480/3D Compact HMD/Video Glasses solution like I did for my mobile/portable devices... Get one... Here are some links that MIGHT have them... Try to get the seller down to $200 and it's a really good deal. Even the competition cannot beat FOV 35+/Optics that DONT SUCK/3D support... No breakout box... Super lightweight, Perfect color/Image... Nuff said.

- Oculus wont be ultra portable for use in a vehicle... For a long time...

Nebula 3D HD Video Glasses 98" Screen Size

- https://www.google.com/search?q=Nebula+ ... 36&bih=710

- http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... s&_sacat=0

- http://www.amazon.com/3D-Video-Glasses- ... B00HPQ29Q0

- http://www.amazon.com/3D-Video-Glasses- ... B00JBXBXXA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: My Customized "Nebula 3D" China brand HMD Rebuild.

Post by cybereality »

Cool mod. However, I kind of doubt the usefulness of these cheap video glasses at this point.

I think for just watching a 2D video, holding your phone in your hand will give you better resolution and even a bigger screen.

And if you want to have the benefits of an HMD, even those plastic phone holders would probably be better, no?
Radioboy86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Radioboy86 »

Oh most def. The real reason i got these is I wanted 3D and an upgrade for my Nvidia Shield and emulators. I use it for my emulators & 3D Tridef games. I like the phones and the 3d google cardboard etc. Trinus Gyre etc... I just was after a virtual 3DTV I could use with my Toshiba Encore 8 and Shield through HDMI out. I got older 2D-3D converted Depth-Buffer PC games on the Encore/Lots of extra emulation on my Raspbery Pi 2 & Android games/emus on my Shield. I also like these glasses on my HDMI laptop. The 3D is really like a mini 3DTV on these. I have tried alot dude. I am impressed by whatever optics and LCDs these use. They just trounce the Vuzix 1200DX model I tried. the 3D has no issues and actually shows depth and Pop out amazingly. I think these give a better image than my goodgle cardboard RIFT setup + They work with more programs/etc. The pixel fill is great too its a nice tight (854x480) I scale it Pixel-Pixel with the GPU... 720p still looks a little compressed on the WVGA res. They are NOT VR but rather... umm... Like a 65" 3DTV on the go. Feels like I am right at home sitting on the couch with these. Adding 3D to my Shield with native SBS support not the specialized RIFT/Cardboard formats makes more sense to enjoy more content until it's been retrofitted to work with Cardboard etc. On the go I hate the glare on my Shield/Encore/etc. Anything 3D makes sense to me! I wish I could get my 3D-Bee and KanexPro 2D/3D Converter to work on these glasses but all I get is a white screen. My Doctor HDMI does not solve the handshake issues either.
Radioboy86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Radioboy86 »

cybereality wrote:Cool mod. However, I kind of doubt the usefulness of these cheap video glasses at this point.

I think for just watching a 2D video, holding your phone in your hand will give you better resolution and even a bigger screen.

And if you want to have the benefits of an HMD, even those plastic phone holders would probably be better, no?

This is true holding a high ppi screen up to your face will do it too. 3D is what I was after and these do not dim brightness being glasses. I try not hold stuff to close to my face without the right optics and proper setups. My eyes alway feel forced that way. I used to use a 3D zoom magnifier on my PSP and the toll it takes on the eyes was kinda high. I do have a PS3 controller and a phone mount too, I just love my Nvidia Shield. Thing is a beast in my mind still.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”