Can a Z800 with a faulty display be repaired?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

Can a Z800 with a faulty display be repaired?

Post by DevilMaster »

I want to show my Z800 at a retrocomputing exhibit, but I have a problem. While the right display still shows a perfect picture after 10 years, the picture on the left display has been gradually getting blurrier and fainter since 2010. Now, all the left display shows is uniform gray. Can it be fixed in any way (e. g. replacing the display)?

If the answer is no, what HMDs are still available, that work with the legacy XP stereo drivers? I've read that the 3D Virtual Viewer from VRealities is just a rebranded HMD from Oriscape sold at a higher price, so would a GVD520-3D from Oriscape be a good replacement? Or is there anything better that works with legacy nVidia technology?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Can a Z800 with a faulty display be repaired?

Post by cybereality »

I believe the display used was a custom OLED made by eMagin. Good luck finding a replacement...

In terms of other older HMDs, the Vuzix/Icuiti VR920 should still work with the XP stereo driver (was it driver 91.31, how do I remember these numbers?).
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

I saw this old post on MTBS:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 18#p116060

WiredEarp may have a spare. just a thought.
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DevilMaster »

I PM'd WiredEarp, let's see what he replies.

I also looked for VR920s and found just one, on Amazon. I see it has the same specs as the GVD520-3D (32 degrees of FOV, 640x480 resolution) At this point, if the only option is to buy another HMD, I'd get a GVD520-3D simply because I could get a replacement if it doesn't work right.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I still have my Z800. I would have sold it like Palmer did (didn't he get over $1k USD?) before the Rift came out, if it didn't also have a problem with one of the displays. Not sure which eye it is (haven't used it over winter), but it has a 'stain' over about 1/4 of one of the displays, where the OLED seems to have corroded or something. Despite this, its still very usable for FPV etc, which is what I use my one for these days.

Reading the description of your issue however, it doesn't sound the same problem. It may be worthwhile opening your Z800, and reseatting the flat ribbon cables that go into the displays. I actually bought my Z800 dirt cheap, with a broken eye (would flicker continuously, the previous owner had hot glued the cable to the side of the Z800 to avoid it moving as a temporary 'fix'). I managed to fix my one by simply opening it up, and doing the cable reseat, so its definitely worth trying anyway.
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DevilMaster »

WiredEarp wrote: I managed to fix my one by simply opening it up, and doing the cable reseat, so its definitely worth trying anyway.
Thank you, I'll try that.
Meanwhile, I've looked for Z800s on Ebay, and all sellers say they haven't tested them. I sent a message to all of them, telling them the proper way to test them, and I haven't received any reply, except from one seller who claimed he didn't test his because he didn't have the cables. After I told him which cables he needed to get an image, he said he still wouldn't test it because he didn't have the audio cables either.

EDIT: So I opened up my Z800. I see no obvious way to replace a display, but I did wiggle around the ribbon connector of the left display. I put everything together again, connected the Z800 to the PC... and nothing changed. The picture on the left display is still gray and washed out.
Meanwhile, I got a reply from another seller on Ebay. He said that he looked around, but he can't find any cable like those I described, so he can't test his Z800. I'm assuming he really means he knows perfectly that his Z800 doesn't work, but he hopes to eventually convince me to buy it anyway (lol) if he says the word "untested" enough times.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”