Looking for custom 3D printed cellphone HMD

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
samiress
One Eyed Hopeful

Looking for custom 3D printed cellphone HMD

Post by samiress »

Hey guys!

This site has been a great resource for my journey into VR. However, after playing around with the Rift (DK1) and the Cardboard, I've come to realise a problem that I hope to solve with a 3D printed HMD.

As someone with high power, it really takes away from the VR experience if I have to take my glasses off to try these devices. I've looked around for a headset that could accommodate glasses but none seem to have this.

So I'm turning to the forum for suggestions. I am thinking of 3D printing a custom HMD that can work with my glasses. I have access to a Google Cardboard kit (and the 55mm lenses) so can use those components.

What do you guys think would be a good place to start?
NopeU
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Looking for custom 3D printed cellphone HMD

Post by NopeU »

have you tried Homido ?

http://www.homido.com/en/how-to-use/faq
How to use Homido with glasses?

If you wear glasses, you can easily use Homido thanks to the lens cones provided in the Homido package. You would just need to take off your glasses and to use the lens cone adapted to your sight ( there is a special cone for long-sighted people and for short-sighted people).
samiress
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Looking for custom 3D printed cellphone HMD

Post by samiress »

NopeU wrote:have you tried Homido ?

http://www.homido.com/en/how-to-use/faq
Thanks for that. Hadn't heard of Homido.

However, EUR 69 for what seems to be a small upgrade from the Dive does not seem very exciting. Also, they're using changeable lens cones for people using glasses (much like the Rift). I was hoping for a "built-in" solution (if it is even possible :geek:

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”