Building a 3D printed HMD and asking some questions.

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Crictimactu
One Eyed Hopeful

Building a 3D printed HMD and asking some questions.

Post by Crictimactu »

Hello, this is my first post apart from the "say hello" one, and I don't even know from where to start, but I want to say that I am really excited after experimenting 3D for the first time yesterday on a (sort of) HMD!

I ordered a 7 inch 1280x728 LCD screen from ebay and 2 pairs of different magnifying glasses. Two of them are aspheric lenses but are 35 mm or something in diameter and the others are spherical but larger, 50mm. I think I prefer the spherical ones for being larger, but I'll have to experiment more.

I am thinking about the advantages of custom printed HMD. The plastic part is cheap and can cheaply be sent to friends around the world, or printed at local fablabs provided they have the .stl files. I found a couple solutions with adjustable interpupilar distance and I confess that I even considered it, but it seemed to me that that was an overengineering approach. Also, with simple math one could just enter in a program the interpupilar distance, lense dimmensions and amplification, screen distance and the model would be generated. In case that doesn't work, one could just build many models for every configuration possible and upload them for everyone to 3D print whatever suits them.

Now, I admit I don't know much about HMD's, but that's why I'm here too :). I would like to ask if crossover, or crosstalk, I don't know the proper name (it's the left eye seeing the right part of the monitor and vice versa) is important in HMD's to the point that one should always separate the view with a perpendicular opaque board in the middle (or something that completes the same objective). I've seen DIY models that do that, others that don't.

Also, is there any guide that helps understanding the optics behind HMD's? I'm finishing a Masters in Physics Engineering, but I only had a course that had a little optics in it, and we never accounted for distortion (I don't want to brag about it, in fact I barely made it in most courses even when my peers got good grades, so I'm just giving some context). The distance from the screen is easily the lense focal distance so we get paralel rays reaching our eyes "from infinity", but what is the relation between that, the screen dimensions and lense diameter? For the moment I'm not considering fresnel lenses, but that can change.

I intend to make my models available online for free. I know anyone with basic modeling skills can do it, and maybe they had, I just didn't found a customizable solution available yet.

Last but not the least, have a cute kitten as a thank you in advance :lol:
Last edited by Crictimactu on Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
labmice00
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Building a 3D printed HMD and asking some questions.

Post by labmice00 »

Hello, and welcome to MTBS3D!

Crosstalk depends on the design of your HMD. Depending on the optics one may need them or not. Typically, if the lens magnification is low (2x-4x) you may need to put a physical barrier. However, if the magnification if higher (5x-10x) then you usually wouldn't need to do so.

As for optics, I'm no expert either. However, there is no correlation between focal point, screen size, and lens diameter as far as I'm concerned.

For your HMD (which I presume is a copy of the Oculus Rift), fresnel lens wouldn't be a good choice, as they are inferior in image quality and tend to wash out the colors. However, if you are making a different design (such as the InfiniteEye), then you would need to use fresnel lens.

Good luck, and have fun with your HMD! :D
Crictimactu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Crictimactu »

Thank you! Indeed I'm trying something like the rift for now.

As we're speaking I'm finishing the first version, a really crude one that I'm not particularly proud of, but I think it is a start :lol: .

Will post some photos in a hour or so I hope.
Crictimactu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Crictimactu »

Here they go!

Next step is adjusting dimensions and fix everything in a more robust way.

I want to put this through until the end. I already have a 3 axis gyro/accel/magnetometer that I intend to use for head tracking and I tried once to understand the math behind quaternions for orientation and didn't succeed at it. Will give it a second try now that I have the right motivation.

Will try to update as I can, will continue to post questions asking for help probably between updates.
Crictimactu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Crictimactu »

If at some time in the future I would decide to use two different displays, one for each eye and use a graphics card with 2 VGA ports for example, could I crop a single screen into two and display each one on a different monitor or is it required that the rendering is done on two different displays?

I've talked with a friend and he suggested using windowed mode on the main screen (left or right) and move the window in such a way that half is shown on one screen, and another on the other one. This might work but I think it is a workaround on a concrete problem that should be addressed.

Thanks!
labmice00
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by labmice00 »

Allibow wrote:Shieeeeet! :woot

found a souloution!!,

on my 24" screen, create custom resolution 2560x720 and set it,
start HL2 with vireo 2.0 in oculus rift mode, (it will start in 2560x720 now!)
unplug 24", plugin 2 x hmd lcds

now hl extends over both screens ^^

run Convergence setup so that poop starts aligning on the screens !
run world disctance setup so that bullits will fly where you crosshair is!

I know this is not optimal in anyway with the wraping and all but it does work pretty well acutually !

The FOV IS AWSOME all you see is screen EVERYWHERE!

nope Mosaic didnt work at all! who has a quadro anyways ?! :) i run gtx670 2way SLI
This is for the InfinitEye, BTW. You can find more information about it here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=16434

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”